PG Music Home
Posted By: Steve Young New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/20/15 09:52 PM
Well, I am back! I have been working a crazy schedule the past few months (pretty much 7 days a week), as well as dealing with some health issues. So I haven't had much energy to devote to a lot of writing/producing.

I had a day off this week, and I was thinking about the value of a handful of very close friends I have been blessed to have in my life, and those thoughts turned into this song. In addition to the RealTracks and Realdrums, I added some orchestration (strings, brass, and oboe) and organ. I hope you enjoy it!

Friend Of Mine

Here are the RealTracks/RealDrums used...

RealTracks in song: 2478:Bass, Acoustic, Held Ev 110
RealTracks in song: 1601:Mandolin, Rhythm Pop16Melodic Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1677:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryBrent Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1277:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopUpliftA-B Ev16 120
RealTracks in song: 2508:String Quartet, Rhythm PopEvenHall Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 2040:Guitar, Resonator, Soloist CountryRob Ev 120
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleBrushesCountryPopEv16: a: Sidestick, Brushes b: Brushes

Friend Of Mine
Copyright Stephen W. Young

Hello friend of mine
I have some things I'd like to say
I hope you don't mind
I just want to take the time
To say how much you mean to me
But words are hard to find

You've always been right there for me
Faithful as a friend can be

Hello friend of mine
You always have the words to say
To keep me in line
You know when to laugh and cry
You help me to find the reason why
At the right time

You've always been right there for me
Faithful as a friend can be

So when the winds of life blow strong against your face
And the sounds of trouble rage against your mind
I will pray God gives you overwhelming grace
And when you look for me I won't be hard to find

Hello friend of mine
I have some things I'd like to say
I hope you don't mind
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/21/15 03:39 AM
Always pleased to see you come around again, Steve...
Especially because it means we are in store for a treat..another beautiful song.

Lovely vocals, as always. Terrific arrangement, as always.
You always open my eyes to new instrument choices...the NashvilleBrushesCountryPopEv16 drum kit, for instance - nice. The resonator is used inventively. Your oboe always works so beautifully - the way the cello RT does... we could use an oboe RT like that!!

Your strings are always top shelf.

I listened 4 times while I typed this. A delight!

floyd
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/21/15 06:10 AM
Hi Steve,

The first word that sprang to mind when I started listening was "Beautiful". Then came, "Steve's orchestrations are incredible. It's so good to have him post a new song."

Right at this moment, I'm sitting here thinking, "What do I say to describe just how magnificent the arrangement and the sound of 'Friend of Mine' were to my ears?" Words that are coming to my mind don't seem to adequately describe the aural richness that enveloped me during your song's journey. Your sense of melody, your sense of arrangement and your sense of orchestration are those of a master craftsman. I absolutely enjoyed sitting back and letting your song carry me along.

The lyrics are sensational. You have used the sonic relationship between vowels and diphthongs incredibly well. I've never seen such handling of this before and I'm coming back to this post to modify it after I've thought my way through how best to explain what I mean.

Back soon!
Noel
Posted By: olemon Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/21/15 08:45 AM
Beautiful song, touching lyrics, lovely production. Your vocals are just right, they sit perfectly within the music and are very smooth and genuine. Your RT selections are spot-on for the song.

Everything fits together perfectly.

Well done.
Posted By: tommyad Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/21/15 09:03 AM
Steve, This is how it's done. The real tracks, your spot on vocals and your playing of the strings make for a seamless production. Beautifully written, recorded, arranged and performed. It doesn't get any better than this. Spectacular! Tom
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/21/15 10:23 AM
I always look forward to seeing one of your posts and it's never disappointing.

You are such an excellent vocalist, writer, arranger and producer. Your songs are always consistently good and a benchmark for others like me here on the forum to strive to achieve the quality of your work.

Love the song and glad you are feeling better.

Charlie
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/21/15 01:03 PM
Really pretty song Steve!! Arrangement and vocals are beautiful. The resonator worked flawlessly, and the orchestration was lovely. What software do you use for orchestration? Really enjoyed everything about this one!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: boehm Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/21/15 01:41 PM
Hi Steve,

touching lyrics, beautiful vocals and orchestration. I like the harmonies.
Just what I expected when I read your name.

Guenter
Posted By: 90 dB Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/21/15 02:02 PM
Steve -

Only one word would suffice......exquisite.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: cubanpete Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/21/15 07:26 PM
Hi Steve, +++10 to all said before. I'm glad you're back. Magnificent production, and yes, an oboe rt would be great.

Mike B.
Posted By: RnAM Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/21/15 07:47 PM
Hi Steve,

Like Floyd said: when you're posting a new song, we know we're into something good!
This sounds very good. Beautiful, beautiful voice. Crystal clear recording too. Haven't heard that Fingerpicking CountryBrent Ev 120 sounding this bright before. String Quartet also works nicely.

Rob & Anne-Marie
Posted By: RichMac Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/21/15 09:00 PM
Hi Steve. I got a lot of pleasure out of listening to this song.
Nice sentiments beautifully presented. Cheers.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/22/15 10:11 AM
"So when the winds of life blow strong against your face
And when you look for me I won't be hard to find"

This is an obviously heartfelt write and to us it is outstanding. Your vocal is perfect for the feel and the production ices the cake.
The build through the song, the choice of RT's and your playing are a showcase for what can be done with BiaB in the hands
of a creative and talented user.

And best of all? You are on Soundcloud and we were able to add this fine production to our playlist!

J&B
Posted By: CeeBee Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/22/15 01:33 PM
+1 to all that has been said Steve, your lyrics and melodies are always spot on. smile
Posted By: PatrickH Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/22/15 01:38 PM
Great sentiment delivered with you usual excellent production skills.
Posted By: PRADON Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/24/15 04:39 AM
Hello Steve,

The orchestration and the crescendo could not be better to evoke your feelings. In particular theRealTracks : 2508:String Quartet, which is one of the best I think that BIAB made those last years.
Bravo

Regards
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/24/15 06:49 AM
Hey Steve. Nice to see you back.
Always love your music, heaps of passion and mood.
Can I have your autograph smile
Rob.
Posted By: gibson Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/24/15 12:36 PM
Steve,

Good to hear you are back.

Your vocal are always spot on, as is the mix and instrumentation.
The lyrics are evocative, it would be good to have you as a friend in real life.

Alyn
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/24/15 09:35 PM
Floyd,

Thanks so much! Your comments are always very welcome!

Noel,

Always so good to hear from you, my friend! So glad you enjoyed this one! (In Texas, pretty much every syllable of every word is a dipthong, though, so that comes pretty natural for me.) smile

Olemon,

Thank you for taking the time to listen and comment. Very much appreciated.

Tom,

Thank you very much! Always good to hear from you, and glad you like this one!

Charlie,

Glad you look forward to hearing my songs, and glad you like this one! Thanks so much for the kind words.

Greg,

Thanks! Glad you like it! The strings are a combinaion/blend of RealTracks and I have Garriton Orchestra, as well as the Cakewalk Strings that come with Sonar Platinum. (When I'm working on my Mac, I use the Logic softsynth strings along with Garritan, whichever fits the mood/sound I am going for.) I am a violinist, so I try to find things that give a "real" feel to them as much as possible. Occasionally I play my own parts as well, but usually I'm too lazy, and go with one of the softsynths. smile

Guenter,

Thanks so much for your very kind words! Glad you enjoyed it.

===

Steve
Posted By: Sundance Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/25/15 02:08 AM
Steve, dag nab it you made me cry - in a good way. What a beautiful moving song. Love everything about it - melody, lyrics, vocals, arrangement, mix....what else can I say...

This song makes me want to share it with the friends I love.

Home run.

Josie
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/27/15 08:54 PM
Bob (90 db),

So glad you like it! Always good to hear from you!

Mike B.,

Thanks so much! Appreciate your time and comments. It would be nice to have some more "orchestral" Realtracks in the future.

Rob & Anne-Marie,

Thank you very much for your kind words! I am a big fan of your work.

RichMac,

I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and post. Glad you like this one.

Janice and Bud,

I always appreciate hearing from you! Big fan of your work. Yes, this one was heartfelt, and sure glad you like it!

Chris (Sinbad),

Thanks so much! Glad you like this one!

===

Steve
Posted By: MarioD Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/27/15 09:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"So when the winds of life blow strong against your face
And when you look for me I won't be hard to find"

This is an obviously heartfelt write and to us it is outstanding. Your vocal is perfect for the feel and the production ices the cake.
The build through the song, the choice of RT's and your playing are a showcase for what can be done with BiaB in the hands
of a creative and talented user.

And best of all? You are on Soundcloud and we were able to add this fine production to our playlist!

J&B

I couldn't have said it any better!

Welcome back my friend!
Posted By: dcuny Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/29/15 03:20 AM
I'm all out of superlatives. Wonderful.
Posted By: Curt Young Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/30/15 07:04 AM
This is one of those songs that makes me very thankful for this forum & the people who are kind enough to put their talent on display for everyone to hear. Sometimes I wonder how in the world some of you do it.

Another very meaningful and enjoyable piece. Thanks!
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 05/31/15 02:53 AM
Hi steve. Welcome back! So nice to hear your wonderful voice again. Don't go away for so long next time.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 06/02/15 12:31 PM
Just a note...
After listening in my car, and a couple of other reference listens, I have updated the mix, and made a few changes to the arrangement. The new version is what you will hear at the Soundcloud link now.
---

Patrick,

So glad to see your very kind words. Thanks for taking the time to drop in and listen!

PRADON,

Thanks for your comments! I agree, the String Quartet is one of the better additions PG has made to the program.

Rob,

You are too kind! I enjoy your work as well. Thanks for the kind words!

Alyn,

Thanks so much! If you are ever Texas, look me up, my friend!

Josie,

Thank you very much! It's always so good to hear from you! Glad you like this one. I will mail you a box of kleenex. smile

===

Steve
Posted By: Bill T Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 02/22/17 12:33 AM
I love your voice and you my friend are very good and worthy of what BIAB can do. I have listened to many songs using BIAB and too many are hard to listen to. I made it all the way to the end because I wanted to hear you. Very nicely done and very professional. Keep doing what you do!

Sincerely,

Bill Thompson
Posted By: animarorecords Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 02/23/17 03:45 AM
Hello, Steve

Very beautiful song!
Your vocal and oboe orchestration are very nice.
The chord progression is also good.
Very pleasant!
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - Friend Of Mine - 02/26/17 09:43 PM
I was surprised to see this one pop up again! It's been awhile since I posted it. I really appreciate everyone's kind words!

Originally Posted By: Bill T
I love your voice and you my friend are very good and worthy of what BIAB can do. I have listened to many songs using BIAB and too many are hard to listen to. I made it all the way to the end because I wanted to hear you. Very nicely done and very professional. Keep doing what you do!

Sincerely,

Bill Thompson

Thanks so much, Bill. And welcome to the Forum! I look forward to hearing your work. I have been in and out of the forum lately with life in general interfering. smile Once again, I truly appreciate your very generous comments. (There are a lot of good songwriters/musicians/vocalists here on the forum.)

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Steve

Very beautiful song!
Your vocal and oboe orchestration are very nice.
The chord progression is also good.
Very pleasant!
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thank you very much, Shigeki! I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment!

====

Steve
© PG Music Forums