PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 05/25/15 12:41 PM
The Outskirts of Fun

This is a completely new production (originally posted two years ago) that includes the addition of a lyric video, a solo fiddle and several new composite RT regenerations. The mastering (Ozone 6) and all effects are also new. Comments are always welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for your time to look and listen.

And a BIG shout out to floyd jane for the very cool harmony track!

Lead vocal: Janice
Harmony vocal: floyd jane
Arrangement and video/audio production: Bud
Bass: RT 1848
Drums: RD N’ville swing 8ths
Guitar Rhythm: 964
Guitar Rhythm: 959
Guitar Solo: 1279 (composite of multiple regenerations)
Steel Rhythm: 612
Steel Solo: 1504 (composite of multiple regenerations)
Fiddle Rhythm:1114 (composite of multiple regenerations)
Fiddle Solo: 1871
Audio: Mixing/mastering via Logic Pro X, Ozone 6 and Nectar 2
Video: Video Editor 3 for iMac
Photos: Pixabay, Creative Commons, 7-Themes and other public domain sources.

Audio only:
The Outskirts of Fun
Love it, great song, well sung, everything sitting where its supposed to be a perfect production all round.

great video too, I notice that comments are disabled though one could only have good things to say about this production.

Well done to everyone involved.

Musiclover
Hi Janice & Bud (and Floyd),

fun and fresh. I remember the original.
Very nicely arranged. I like the fiddle.
Janice lively as always and good support
by Floyd. (Where is he by the way?)
Bud did a great job on the video.
I enjoyed it a lot.

Guenter
Unlike the title, I'd say this is "Fun Central"!! Really well put together. Clean, tight, and creative writing and production. Vocals are great (Janice and FJ nailed it). From the credits, it looks like it was painstaking (lots of instruments, and multiple generations) but the result was worth it-not a note out of place. Great job!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Love it, great song, well sung, everything sitting where its supposed to be a perfect production all round.

great video too, I notice that comments are disabled though one could only have good things to say about this production.

Well done to everyone involved.

Musiclover

Thanks for the comments. We appreciate it! And thanks for the heads up re the comments. I enabled them.

J&B
Hi Janice, Bud and Floyd,

We never heard the first version, so we cannot compare.
We can only say this though: another solid production, nice video!
The colors fit the mood of the song.
Well sung Janice and the same goes for floyd.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Janice & Bud (and Floyd),

fun and fresh. I remember the original.
Very nicely arranged. I like the fiddle.
Janice lively as always and good support
by Floyd. (Where is he by the way?)
Bud did a great job on the video.
I enjoyed it a lot.

Guenter

Thanks Guenter. We are very glad
that you enjoyed the song and the
video. floyd is on vacation and "off
the grid!"
Very enjoyable! A real goodtime song, spot on vocals and the clarity and definition make a great production. Oozes fun. Cheers.
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Unlike the title, I'd say this is "Fun Central"!! Really well put together. Clean, tight, and creative writing and production. Vocals are great (Janice and FJ nailed it). From the credits, it looks like it was painstaking (lots of instruments, and multiple generations) but the result was worth it-not a note out of place. Great job!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg! It was a bit tedious but I really wanted the solos to transition well into the vocal. Even more tedious was finding public domain images that seemed to fit the lyric. All in all....tedious but counterintuitively also fun.

J&B
Posted By: gibson Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 05/26/15 04:00 AM
Janice, Bud and floyd,

What can I say??
Wonderfully clear mix; the usual incredible vocals from Janice and then floyd's harmony lines!!

Good video!

I gave the neighbours this song to listen to this morning, LOUD! and no complaints yet so they must like it too LOL

excellent all round

Alyn
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 05/26/15 08:34 AM
Cool tune..... I think I recall this. It's always fun to revamp some of the old stuff after you have learned a few new things about this hobby. I'm always tempted to do that on some as I listen to the stuff I have done years ago......

Nice job on the re-do.
One of my favorites of yours so far. Everything in place and a superb mix. A little bluesy and a bit of western swing vibe together in a great production, arrangement and performance.

I had a lot of fun listening to this one and will certainly be going back for more.

Charlie
Posted By: tommyad Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 05/26/15 10:00 AM
+1, Greg says it best. Terrific job on the remix and the video. Tom
Posted By: PRADON Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 05/26/15 12:09 PM

Hello Janice and Bud,

The good old country !
Who has played the guitar solo ? is it a Real track ?

It reminds me of a very good movie about country, Nashville Blues, with River Phoenix
bravo for the video
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 05/27/15 08:59 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Janice, Bud and Floyd,

We never heard the first version, so we cannot compare.
We can only say this though: another solid production, nice video!
The colors fit the mood of the song.
Well sung Janice and the same goes for floyd.

Rob and Anne-Marie

Hey y'all, nice that you liked it and thanks for commenting on the video. It get a bit tedious trying to find public domain images that fit the lyric and are large enough to be cropped to 16:9. That's the reason I didn't use more smile

J&B

Originally Posted By: RichMac
Very enjoyable! A real goodtime song, spot on vocals and the clarity and definition make a great production. Oozes fun. Cheers.

Thanks! Glad you like the mix.

J&B

Originally Posted By: gibson
Janice, Bud and floyd,

What can I say??
Wonderfully clear mix; the usual incredible vocals from Janice and then floyd's harmony lines!!

Good video!

I gave the neighbours this song to listen to this morning, LOUD! and no complaints yet so they must like it too LOL

excellent all round

Alyn

Hey Alyn, we're glad you AND the neighbors liked it!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 05/27/15 10:19 AM
ha ha J & B & F

What a great toe-tappin' number

You never fail to disappoint, top job, all around

Trev
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 05/27/15 05:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Cool tune..... I think I recall this. It's always fun to revamp some of the old stuff after you have learned a few new things about this hobby. I'm always tempted to do that on some as I listen to the stuff I have done years ago......

Nice job on the re-do.

Thanks Herb. Man, I can listen to something I did 3 months ago and want to redo it. But I'm still on the steep side of the learning curve. Glad you liked it.

J&B
Posted By: MarioD Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 05/27/15 08:36 PM
Everything that I wanted to say already has been said.

Like I have said a number of times you guys should be on the radio! What you, Floyd and a number of others do is definitely much better than what is on the radio today ---period.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 05/28/15 09:19 AM
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
One of my favorites of yours so far. Everything in place and a superb mix. A little bluesy and a bit of western swing vibe together in a great production, arrangement and performance.

I had a lot of fun listening to this one and will certainly be going back for more.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie! Blues and Western swing is a great combo in our book. And I appreciate you mentioning the mix.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 05/28/15 12:18 PM
Thanks again, guys, for letting me be a small part of this.

I like it more every time I hear it. Some very cool lines in the writing. The new mix is great.

Janice "She Could Sing The Phonebook" Merritt doing her usual. smile

Bud showing his new-found talent for lyric videos. Exceptional. Really.

fj
Posted By: gibson Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 05/28/15 12:35 PM
Quote:
Janice "She Could Sing The Phonebook" Merritt doing her usual.

brilliant, and so true

Alyn
Posted By: dcuny Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 05/29/15 02:01 AM
As always, solid work.

But... (and I feel a bit guilty saying this) it felt a bit like the fiddle player treated the song like an extended solo, and played over that fabulous singing.

Just an opinion. smile

Fun listen!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 05/29/15 08:37 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
+1, Greg says it best. Terrific job on the remix and the video. Tom

Thanks Tom. Glad the redo worked for you.

Originally Posted By: PRADON

Hello Janice and Bud,

The good old country !
Who has played the guitar solo ? is it a Real track ?

It reminds me of a very good movie about country, Nashville Blues, with River Phoenix
bravo for the video

Thanks! The guitars are all RealTracks.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 05/29/15 10:26 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
ha ha J & B & F

Trev

Thank you!

Janice

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Everything that I wanted to say already has been said.

Like I have said a number of times you guys should be on the radio! What you, Floyd and a number of others do is definitely much better than what is on the radio today ---period.

Thank you so much. That is very kind!

Janice

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Thanks again, guys, for letting me be a small part of this.

I like it more every time I hear it. Some very cool lines in the writing. The new mix is great.

Janice "She Could Sing The Phonebook" Merritt doing her usual. smile

Bud showing his new-found talent for lyric videos. Exceptional. Really.

fj

Aw shucks! Thank you floyd.

Janice
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 05/29/15 10:48 PM
J&B&F
This is outstanding. I really enjoyed it!
SD
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 05/30/15 08:34 AM
Originally Posted By: gibson
Quote:
Janice "She Could Sing The Phonebook" Merritt doing her usual.

brilliant, and so true

Alyn

Hey Alyn, I've often told her that! She honestly doesn't get how good a
singer she is.

Bud
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 05/30/15 11:18 AM
Hey guys.
Another fantastic foot stomper.
Very smooth mix.
Great harmonies.
Love it.
Rob
Posted By: Sundance Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 05/31/15 02:16 AM
Great remix and look to the video.

Josie
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 05/31/15 03:04 AM
Nice! I think i remember this from the first time. I remember liking the concept very much. Loved the video. Very cool!
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 06/01/15 12:04 AM
Janice and Bud,
Classic country sond and performance. Ready for the Opry!
I loved it.
SD
Posted By: dani48 Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 06/01/15 10:11 AM
Hi, everybody involved !:))

I am afraid I am gettin old !
I could have sweared i commented
on this earlier, but to my great
dismay I found this was not the case !!!!

Talk about distroughtfulness, my friends
I even left my bookkeeping files beside
the money automat and walked away happy until
the chairman of the organisation which
books I keep phoned me to ask me if there
was something i missed ????????

pheeeew..........

Now for your tune ! Wonderful in
every aspect it is ! I like everything
about it !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 06/01/15 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: dcuny
As always, solid work.

But... (and I feel a bit guilty saying this) it felt a bit like the fiddle player treated the song like an extended solo, and played over that fabulous singing.

Just an opinion. smile

Fun listen!

There's always one of those guys in the band! In our bluegrass band it was the banjo player. I'm gonna have to talk to that fiddle man...or maybe to the guy who mixed this smile

Thanks!!

J&B

Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
J&B&F
This is outstanding. I really enjoyed it!
SD

Thanks!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Hey guys.
Another fantastic foot stomper.
Very smooth mix.
Great harmonies.
Love it.
Rob

Thanks Rob. Glad it worked for you.

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 06/02/15 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Sundance
Great remix and look to the video.

Josie

Thanks! We like your videos and it's cool you enjoyed our attempt at one.

J&B

Originally Posted By: JosieC
Nice! I think i remember this from the first time. I remember liking the concept very much. Loved the video. Very cool!

Thank you!
Janice
Posted By: PatrickH Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 06/03/15 03:04 AM
Nice tune. I like the style. Reminds me of Western Swing and Bob Willis (ah ha!). I enjoyed the video match up to to song as it went along. Very well done.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 06/03/15 10:08 PM
Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Janice and Bud,
Classic country sond and performance. Ready for the Opry!
I loved it.
SD

Thanks!

J&B

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, everybody involved !:))

I am afraid I am gettin old !
I could have sweared i commented
on this earlier, but to my great
dismay I found this was not the case !!!!

Talk about distroughtfulness, my friends
I even left my bookkeeping files beside
the money automat and walked away happy until
the chairman of the organisation which
books I keep phoned me to ask me if there
was something i missed ????????

pheeeew..........

Now for your tune ! Wonderful in
every aspect it is ! I like everything
about it !

Cheers
Dani

Thanks Dani. Oh yes, the "senior moments." I have them everyday. I'm older than Janice so she has to put up with me!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 06/05/15 11:16 AM
Originally Posted By: nobilis
Nice tune. I like the style. Reminds me of Western Swing and Bob Willis (ah ha!). I enjoyed the video match up to to song as it went along. Very well done.

Thanks! And, yep, Bob Wills is what we were shooting for....other than including a bridge. We appreciate it.

J&B
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 06/07/15 06:40 PM
great job guys fantastic mix love the vocals perfect solo plus+10 thanks eric
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 06/09/15 10:41 PM
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
great job guys fantastic mix love the vocals perfect solo plus+10 thanks eric

Thank you Eric!!

Janice
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 06/11/15 08:28 AM
Hi Janice and Bud,

I've been lurking in the background and popping in periodically to listen. Hope you don't mind smile Mostly, I've watched the Youtube clip. The one time that I listened to the song on Soundcloud, I came away thinking that the audio sounded slightly higher fidelity. Maybe that's just my ears and how they focused more when the visual was taken out of the equation!

I really like this song. It's catchy. Every time I've listened, I've found my feet tapping and my head nodding to and fro.

You two really know how to create the BEST music listening experiences. Then, when you grab hold of floyd's voice for harmony... well.... it doesn't get any better.

Loved it!
Noel

Posted By: olemon Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 06/11/15 08:35 AM

Trev

Yes indeed.

Floyd's tenor works perfectly on this. Another fine vocal from Janice, and now we know what Bud does because we read it right there in the credits:)

These collaborations are terrific. Y'all are just Pro's and every song you produce is radio ready. Take a bow.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 06/11/15 05:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Janice and Bud,

I've been lurking in the background and popping in periodically to listen. Hope you don't mind smile Mostly, I've watched the Youtube clip. The one time that I listened to the song on Soundcloud, I came away thinking that the audio sounded slightly higher fidelity. Maybe that's just my ears and how they focused more when the visual was taken out of the equation!

I really like this song. It's catchy. Every time I've listened, I've found my feet tapping and my head nodding to and fro.

You two really know how to create the BEST music listening experiences. Then, when you grab hold of floyd's voice for harmony... well.... it doesn't get any better.

Loved it!
Noel

Thanks Noel. Youtube and SC can both vary playback quality based on bandwidth issues but I wonder if the software I used to create the video might have degraded the audio track. I'll check my settings on it. Glad you like the song and, yes, floyd did a fine job on the harmony. We always appreciate you and your insight.

Bud

Originally Posted By: olemon

Trev

Yes indeed.

Floyd's tenor works perfectly on this. Another fine vocal from Janice, and now we know what Bud does because we read it right there in the credits:)

These collaborations are terrific. Y'all are just Pro's and every song you produce is radio ready. Take a bow.

You are too kind. I'm still on a steep part of the learning curve when it comes to mixing and mastering. Every now and then I'll nail one...but then a blind hog will find an acorn if he roots around long enough!

But when you have Janice and floyd it's hard to go wrong. OK I'm biased!

Bud
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 06/11/15 09:36 PM
Hey,

This is an excellent production! I love the whole thing, song lyrics, vocal quality, everything. The mastering in partiuclar is very pro. That Ozone really works doesn't it? Great job. Sounds like you paid a tremendous amount of attention to the drums.

Totally swingin' tune. Congrats!!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 06/11/15 10:49 PM
Great job, kids!

I, too, heard that Bob Wills vibe.

Floyd does a superb job as well.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 06/12/15 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Hey,

This is an excellent production! I love the whole thing, song lyrics, vocal quality, everything. The mastering in partiuclar is very pro. That Ozone really works doesn't it? Great job. Sounds like you paid a tremendous amount of attention to the drums.

Totally swingin' tune. Congrats!!

Thanks David and an extra thanks for noting the mix. Yup Ozone is amazing and amongst other things can certainly help the drums pop. We appreciate it.

J&B

Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
Great job, kids!

I, too, heard that Bob Wills vibe.

Floyd does a superb job as well.

Thank you Don? Kids? Well we hope perhaps in spirit! Everything else is pretty senior! Glad you heard the Bob Wills feel. He was the king.

J&B
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 06/13/15 08:56 PM
Another Bud & Janice masterpiece. Floyd, they went to the right person for the harmony, you've got it down pat. Bud, very surprised to read the guitar solo was comped. Excellent job.
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 08/19/15 01:25 PM
The Outskirts of Fun...I think I been there once or twice!!..lol

Old school country IS alive and doin quite well right here and now in this song. Feels like I just walked into some Red Dirt HonkyTonk out in the country near Fort Worth, Texas. I'll have a Lone Star beer if that is OK with y'all!

Jimmy Rogers and Bob Wells have would loved this, and so do I.

Cheers,

Billy
Posted By: gruverider Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 08/20/15 02:05 AM
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
I'll have a Lone Star beer if that is OK with y'all!

Jimmy Rogers and Bob Wells have would loved this, and so do I.

Cheers,

Billy
Oh yeah! I'll take a beer too!
Posted By: PeterF Re: Outskirts of Fun (floyd on harmony) - 08/20/15 05:31 AM
Hard to come up with anything else - but an excellent production all round.
When I listen to your songs I'm reminded of Maria Muldaur (which may have been said before?).
© PG Music Forums