PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/13/15 09:49 AM
I Got Lucky
(alternate link at bottom of page if you have SC issues)

Time to get back to the 12 bar blues..or to rockabilly…or maybe bluesabilly?

I threw these "throwaway lyrics" together at Starbucks one day and then decided to toss them…Janice insisted I not and thought she could work with it. Further evidence that she can make anything I write, no matter how mundane, sound good! A big thanks to Tom (tommyad) who played a cool lead guitar track.

Thanks for your time to listen and comments are appreciated.

Bud

Janice: Vocal via Rodes NT1, Blue Icicle interface and Logic Pro
Tom Adams: Lead Guitar
Bass: RT 2421 (simple)
Guitar Rhythm: 2423
Piano: 2424
Bud: Arrangement, mixing and mastering
All effects via Ozone 6 and/or Nectar 2 (other than what Tom does :))

I got lucky
© 2015 Janice and Bud Merritt

I got real lucky with you baby
yeah I got so lucky with you baby
You lit up my life, ain't a chance of maybe

There's not another like you in this land
I got the only one any where in the land
You just walked in, I didn't need a mojo hand

Didn't even know I held the winning number
All this time I'd been holding the right number
I won life's lotto and now nothing could be finer

I never thought I'd love a man like this
No never thought I'd find a joy like this
And it didn't take anything but the first kiss

Alternate play link
Posted By: Noel96 Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/13/15 10:02 AM
Hi Janice, Bud and Tom.

I can't believe it! I'm first in the thread. I got lucky, too. What a great song. Everything you all do shines brighter than the midday sun - great singing, great guitar work, top notch arranging and mixing. This is an excellent listen (just like so very many before it). 12 bar blues + traditional-based blues lyrics + toe-tapping backing meet creative writing + inspired performing + thoughtful producing.

In a nutshell.... music at its best (again)!

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: gibson Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/13/15 10:12 AM
hmm, sounds OK to me grin

another lesson in singing from Janice
and Tom's guitar compliments her vocal prowess so well

A new genre is born: Tom'nJan-'nBud-abilly

excellent!!!

Alyn

Posted By: boehm Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/13/15 10:57 AM
Hi Janice & Bud (and Tommy),

we got lucky you didn't throw this away.
A real toe tapper.
Excellent vocals and appropriate lead guitar.
Bud did a great job arranging and mixing.
Some very enjoyable listens.

Guenter
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/13/15 12:50 PM
Ha. Also got lucky to get in so early in the thread. Lucky you didn't throw the lyrics away. Lucky I found this software. Lucky I found this forum. I also got lucky! Thanks for reminding me.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/13/15 02:15 PM
It just feels so good!! Another fun and ear-friendly tune. Vocal is killer and Tommyad adds his usual fantastic guitar sounds. Great first tune of the day!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: RnAM Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/13/15 05:16 PM
Whow Tom is definitely outdoing himself here with the solo, beautiful!
Apart from that, as usual, another pro mix.
The 2424 piano RT works great (I'll give that a try sometime too).
Another one well sung by Janice.

Rob
Posted By: David Snyder Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/13/15 06:38 PM
All around great, and especially great vocal production. What kind of mic are you using, and what effects/modules are you using in post production? Love it.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/13/15 07:59 PM
Excellent. Enjoyed this from start to finish.

Charlie
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/13/15 08:50 PM
Great song, singing and production. Tommy, love the guitar track.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/13/15 10:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Janice, Bud and Tom.

I can't believe it! I'm first in the thread. I got lucky, too. What a great song. Everything you all do shines brighter than the midday sun - great singing, great guitar work, top notch arranging and mixing. This is an excellent listen (just like so very many before it). 12 bar blues + traditional-based blues lyrics + toe-tapping backing meet creative writing + inspired performing + thoughtful producing.

In a nutshell.... music at its best (again)!

Regards,
Noel

Thanks Noel. Janice, Tom and only three RT's seemed to work out pretty well and reading your comments makes us feel all the better for the effort. Thank you!
Posted By: PatrickH Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/14/15 12:19 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM

Rob

+1. And Tom did a great job blending the solo style with what you had going. Nice all the way 'round.....again smile
Posted By: RichMac Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/14/15 03:24 AM
Super bluesy vocal and retro guitar.
My goodness I like that lead. Cheers.
Posted By: tommyad Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/14/15 09:48 AM
A big THANKS to all of you who commented on the guitar part. With Janice's outstanding vocals and Bud's attention to detail in writing, arranging and mixing, it is easy to find inspiration. Thanks J&B for including me. It's always a pleasure. Tom
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/14/15 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: gibson
hmm, sounds OK to me grin

another lesson in singing from Janice
and Tom's guitar compliments her vocal prowess so well

A new genre is born: Tom'nJan-'nBud-abilly

excellent!!!

Alyn

Thanks Alyn and, yup, Tom is a master at working his guitar
with a vocalist. Liking the new genre! smile

J&B

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Janice & Bud (and Tommy),

we got lucky you didn't throw this away.
A real toe tapper.
Excellent vocals and appropriate lead guitar.
Bud did a great job arranging and mixing.
Some very enjoyable listens.

Guenter

Thanks Guenter. Glad you liked it and extra thanks for
mentioning the mix. For only three RT's it was
a surprising challenge.

J&B

Originally Posted By: JosieC
Ha. Also got lucky to get in so early in the thread. Lucky you didn't throw the lyrics away. Lucky I found this software. Lucky I found this forum. I also got lucky! Thanks for reminding me.

Well heck, we're just all lucky smile Thanks!

J&B
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/15/15 09:56 AM
I like this song! I really didn't know what to expect and was very happy to hear the style executed so well. Just all around fun to listen to! Nice arrangement, production, playing, and what a great vocal!

Thanks for sharing this!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/15/15 11:24 AM
Spec-tac-u-lar, y'all!!

Bud, your "throwaways" are solid! You'll have folks digging through your trash soon... Excellent melody from your co-writer, too!

Gorgeous vocal! Duh.

Excellent arrangement and mix. Love the sound on the slap bass! The piano sounds great.

Tom's guitar is perfect! You could have told me that was a Brent RT and I would have believed it (or George Harrison!)

Cool stuff! All around!

Duh.

floyd
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/15/15 11:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
It just feels so good!! Another fun and ear-friendly tune. Vocal is killer and Tommyad adds his usual fantastic guitar sounds. Great first tune of the day!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg. Tom definitely nailed the vibe.

J&B
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/16/15 12:08 AM
Aaah! Yes another great composition from you guys.
Love it. Thanks for sharing this excellent song with us.
Rob
Posted By: ROG Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/16/15 08:09 AM
Hi Janice, Bud & Tommy.

Been missing from the forum for a while, but SO glad I didn't miss this one.

What a super blend of styles -a funky, bluesy, country 12 bar with the added attraction of a Janice vocal.

On top of all that there's some superb guitar from Tommy.

Well, what's not to like?

ROG.
Posted By: CeeBee Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/16/15 02:13 PM
Nice song! I really enjoyed listening to it. From the first note to the last, the mix was just right. Singing and guitar up to the usual high standard, you make a great trio. Thanks for not throwing it away, we all got lucky. laugh
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/16/15 03:45 PM

Rob

Thanks you two! Thanks for mentioning the piano. I had to have some counsel to get it to work in the mix. Great playing but it required a lot of eg tinkering to get "right."

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
All around great, and especially great vocal production. What kind of mic are you using, and what effects/modules are you using in post production? Love it.

Thank you David.

Rodes NT1 with a Blue Icicle interface.
Ozone 6 with EQ (no post EQ), dynamics and maximizer (IRCII). All custom settings. That's all for this one.

Bud
Posted By: Icelander Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/16/15 09:19 PM
I see (hear) that people are wasting no time to get cracking with the newest Rt's already, eh! cool

This one made me think of Presley's early years, especially the solo part. Not a bad allusion there, I might add.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/16/15 09:26 PM
Janice and Bud (and Tom),

Excellent stuff! I like what Floyd said about people digging through your trash soon! smile Great collab. I can't think of anything I have heard you do that I didn't like!

Steve
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/17/15 01:25 PM
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Excellent. Enjoyed this from start to finish.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: JimFogle
Great song, singing and production. Tommy, love the guitar track.

Thanks y'all! We appreciate you.

Originally Posted By: PatrickH

Rob

+1. And Tom did a great job blending the solo style with what you had going. Nice all the way 'round.....again smile

Thank you Rob. Yup, Tom found the perfect sound for the song.
J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/17/15 07:17 PM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Super bluesy vocal and retro guitar.
My goodness I like that lead. Cheers.

Thank you! Glad it worked for you. Tom got it down for sure.

Originally Posted By: tommyad
A big THANKS to all of you who commented on the guitar part. With Janice's outstanding vocals and Bud's attention to detail in writing, arranging and mixing, it is easy to find inspiration. Thanks J&B for including me. It's always a pleasure. Tom

Your mighty kind Tom. That guitar lit this production up.

Bud
Posted By: dani48 Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/17/15 07:52 PM
Hi, Janice & Bud & Tom !:))

This must be one of your best
at least it is my JB favourite
for now ! Just incredible in
every aspect !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/18/15 10:48 AM
I'm late to the party and everything has already been said that I wanted to say. All I can add is this is super blues and you three should be extremely proud of this one. Everything is perfect but I have come to expect that from you three! I have said this more than once but here I go again why in hell haven't you been signed yet! Record companies are really missing out!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/19/15 12:57 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
I like this song! I really didn't know what to expect and was very happy to hear the style executed so well. Just all around fun to listen to! Nice arrangement, production, playing, and what a great vocal!

Thanks for sharing this!

Thanks a bunch. We appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment!

J&B

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Spec-tac-u-lar, y'all!!

Bud, your "throwaways" are solid! You'll have folks digging through your trash soon... Excellent melody from your co-writer, too!

Gorgeous vocal! Duh.

Excellent arrangement and mix. Love the sound on the slap bass! The piano sounds great.

Tom's guitar is perfect! You could have told me that was a Brent RT and I would have believed it (or George Harrison!)

Cool stuff! All around!

Duh.

floyd

Wow! Thanks floyd. Coming from "the man" we're just gonna bask in this for a while smile

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/19/15 10:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Aaah! Yes another great composition from you guys.
Love it. Thanks for sharing this excellent song with us.
Rob

Thanks Rob!

J&B

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Janice, Bud & Tommy.

Been missing from the forum for a while, but SO glad I didn't miss this one.

What a super blend of styles -a funky, bluesy, country 12 bar with the added attraction of a Janice vocal.

On top of all that there's some superb guitar from Tommy.

Well, what's not to like?

ROG.

We appreciate that and Tom surely nailed the vocal support and retro feel!

J&B
Posted By: Sundance Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/19/15 10:38 PM
How fun was that! And by the end of the song Janice was really cooking with that "bluesabilly". Cool mix of genres and great mix.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/20/15 01:34 PM
Love that rockabilly slapback sound, very nice vocals.
Enjoyed this feel good song very much.

Kenny
Posted By: Curt Young Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/20/15 11:01 PM
What a cool write! Janice nailed the vocals (as usual) - and Tommy tore it up on the guitar.

A fine and entertaining piece of music.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/22/15 06:49 PM
quote=sinbad]Nice song! I really enjoyed listening to it. From the first note to the last, the mix was just right. Singing and guitar up to the usual high standard, you make a great trio. Thanks for not throwing it away, we all got lucky. laugh [/quote]

Thank you. All of us much appreciate that!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Icelander
I see (hear) that people are wasting no time to get cracking with the newest Rt's already, eh! cool

This one made me think of Presley's early years, especially the solo part. Not a bad allusion there, I might add.

Thanks for mentioning the Presley early year feel. That's exactly what we were aiming for and also why there were no drums.

J&B

Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Janice and Bud (and Tom),

Excellent stuff! I like what Floyd said about people digging through your trash soon! smile Great collab. I can't think of anything I have heard you do that I didn't like!

Steve

Thank you Steve. We greatly appreciate your comments!

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/23/15 12:04 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Janice & Bud & Tom !:))

This must be one of your best
at least it is my JB favourite
for now ! Just incredible in
every aspect !

Cheers
Dani

Thanks Dani. Glad it's your favorite. It was a lot of fun!

J&B

Originally Posted By: MarioD
I'm late to the party and everything has already been said that I wanted to say. All I can add is this is super blues and you three should be extremely proud of this one. Everything is perfect but I have come to expect that from you three! I have said this more than once but here I go again why in hell haven't you been signed yet! Record companies are really missing out!

Thanks man, we really appreciate that!

J&B
Posted By: musiclover Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/23/15 05:47 PM
What a great name for a song, excellent production from all of you folks, love the vocal, Tommys guitar work sounds great as well.

Keep the hits coming.

Musiclover
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/23/15 11:43 PM
Been a while since I visited the site, but I see you are still up to making great sounding music. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: aleck rand Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/24/15 11:48 AM
Hi Janice and Bud,

Please see my SoundCloud comment. What I wanted to say in addition, is that I came across your web page and that, my friends, is one impressive piece of work. Did one or both of you do the construction? In any case, this is one slick looking pro site.

Dean
Posted By: Scott C Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/24/15 04:19 PM
Awesome tune!!!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/25/15 09:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Sundance
How fun was that! And by the end of the song Janice was really cooking with that "bluesabilly". Cool mix of genres and great mix.

Very cool that you liked the bluesabilly. Thanks!!

J&B

Originally Posted By: 44Aceman
Love that rockabilly slapback sound, very nice vocals.
Enjoyed this feel good song very much.

Kenny

Thanks Kenny! Back in my upright days I used to really enjoying playing that sound with real gut strings.

Bud

Originally Posted By: Curt Young
What a cool write! Janice nailed the vocals (as usual) - and Tommy tore it up on the guitar.

A fine and entertaining piece of music.

Thanks Curt. Glad you listened and found it entertaining. We appreciate the comments.

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/26/15 04:34 PM
Originally Posted By: musiclover
What a great name for a song, excellent production from all of you folks, love the vocal, Tommys guitar work sounds great as well.

Keep the hits coming.

Musiclover

Thank you!

J&B

Originally Posted By: PgFantastic
Been a while since I visited the site, but I see you are still up to making great sounding music. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks and welcome back.

J&B

Originally Posted By: aleck rand
Hi Janice and Bud,

Please see my SoundCloud comment. What I wanted to say in addition, is that I came across your web page and that, my friends, is one impressive piece of work. Did one or both of you do the construction? In any case, this is one slick looking pro site.

Dean

Thanks Dean. I did all the site building and the graphics. I've diddled around with both for the last couple of decades or so. We really appreciate your comments on it and the song!

Bud

Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Awesome tune!!!

Thanks!

J&B
Posted By: dcuny Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/27/15 01:59 PM
So late for this train ride, but happy to get on board! laugh
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Got Lucky (feat: Tom on guitar) - 06/27/15 07:57 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
So late for this train ride, but happy to get on board! laugh

Thanks for jumping on board and glad the song wasn't a train wreck!

J&B
© PG Music Forums