PG Music Home
Posted By: aleck rand MOTIONS 11 - 06/25/15 09:34 PM
Funk tune. Straightahead changes at the beginning, but with some cool changes thrown in for interest.

Aleck Rand: All instruments except drums.

Two Real Drums: JazzFunkSync^ for 9 bars
.........................JazzFunkFiery^ for 2 bars
... so that 9 + 2 =

........................MOTIONS 11
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: MOTIONS 11 - 06/25/15 11:23 PM
Amazing. Really love your postings.

Charlie
Posted By: gibson Re: MOTIONS 11 - 06/26/15 01:06 AM
Flippin' heck!!

that's how to use a jazz funk realdrum.

nice playing, Sir. Guitar solo especially cool

Alyn
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: MOTIONS 11 - 06/26/15 10:19 AM
Dean, you never cease to satisfy.

More genius, delivered!

Trevor
Posted By: boehm Re: MOTIONS 11 - 06/26/15 10:55 AM
Hi Dean,

beautiful playing. Especially like that Wes style
lead. You are a musician!
Enjoy this a lot.

Guenter
Posted By: dani48 Re: MOTIONS 11 - 06/26/15 11:18 AM
Hi, Dean !

I have suspected for long that
you are an alien being
and your avatar should have
told me that long ago as no human being
can throw out fire from his fingers
like that !!!
....and your handling of your
instruments should also have
told me that you are a superhuman
maybe an superandroid from
another planet ! :))

Your playing is superior to
any known human being !!!

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: MOTIONS 11 - 06/26/15 12:58 PM
What a great groove!! What I don't understand is how anyone can develop such a mastery of musicianship. AWESOME!! You are the man, Dean. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: MOTIONS 11 - 06/26/15 01:27 PM
Wow! Tremendous playing. Is that a
B3?

It must be tremendously satisfying to
have the ability to put something like
this together with your own playing.

A super cool groove that just keeps
you hanging in until the end...speaking
of which that swipe or stab (don't know
the proper term) at the end was
perfect.

Great tune and a fun listen!

J&B
Posted By: dcuny Re: MOTIONS 11 - 06/27/15 02:05 PM
Getting to one of your songs is always a blast... It's like I took a wrong turn at a pop festival and found myself in the tent the cool jazz cats are hiding.
Posted By: aleck rand Re: MOTIONS 11 - 06/28/15 10:48 AM
David,

With the disfiguration of the music industry, what you refer to are now cybertents and we are already inside. If you're lucky or work hard enough, you might meet a few cool jazz cats from the Golden Age of Blue Note.
You'll overhear conversations like this:

"So hey, my man, what you say we drop a little antacid?" ..... or

"That's a really expensive new hearing aid you got there James, what kind is it?" James looks at the watch and says, "Oh, it's about a quarter to noon."

I'm glad we caught up with each other and that you liked this tune.

Dean
Posted By: musiclover Re: MOTIONS 11 - 06/28/15 11:07 AM
Wow what a kaleidoscope of great sounds expertly blended together by one very talented man,

A really enjoyable listen.

Musiclover
Posted By: aleck rand Re: MOTIONS 11 - 06/28/15 11:21 AM
Dani, my dear friend,

You've got to pull yourself together man! Occasionally the truth gets out - Pat Marr let it slip the last time and I had to go through a big rigmarole of damage control, etc. My species has not adapted too well in society and our immune systems have no defense against extravagant praise, overvaluation of our worth, over-the-top commendations, etc. We appreciate it no end - but the allergic side effect ... Not a pretty sight. We even have a special word in our language do describe these allergic outbreaks: Ewwwww!

When flattery gets too intense or lasts too long, I break out in a rash. And that damn finger? It's just a cheap trick - anyone can do it. As I've gotten older, it has caused me no end of trouble. For instance, last week I was grading papers in the bathtub, as I usually do with a small glass of Kentucky whiskey (Knob Creek). Looking at these exam papers is so stressful that I have to do it under maximum relaxation.

So there I am. In tub. Ready to start grading. The last and final step was - as I usually do - to use my finger to light my cigar. What happened next I will leave to your imagination.

Oh yes, Dani, before I forget, my summer sabbatical starts today. All the folks here have gotten a pretty big dose of me, and I must take care of business with my other job. It's a long trip.

Enjoy the summer and may all the Forum contributors do the same. This warm welcome back was so gratifying.

Later,

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: MOTIONS 11 - 06/28/15 11:30 AM
Musiclover,

You're very kind, my friend. This is a cosmopolitan Forum if there ever was one. I'm always learning new things, and getting new views from the members.

Thank you

Aleck Rand (aka Dean Clark)
Posted By: cubanpete Re: MOTIONS 11 - 06/28/15 01:28 PM
Yessir! another winner here.

Mike B.
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: MOTIONS 11 - 06/28/15 10:06 PM
Aleck;
You know that catch phrase PGMusic used to have on their front page website "...It's a music education" well, the teacher is in. Fantastic music, performance and production.
SD
Posted By: aleck rand Re: MOTIONS 11 - 06/29/15 08:04 PM
Hi Guenter,

I'm very glad to get a good report from my most perspicuous critic. Good or bad, feedback from every Forum member is appreciated, but especially from the most talented musicians among us.

Guenter, I am taking off for my summer sabbatical. I hope summer in Europe at least provides some fair weather to distract from the terrible headlines: Greece (what next?); the refugees drowning in the Mediterranean; Greece; Jihadist attacks every other day; Russia beating up on Ukraine; Isis; Syria; Al Shabbab; and, did I mention Greece? And you know which country all the refugees want to go to.

Well, as the world falls apart, I wish you the best until September.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: MOTIONS 11 - 06/29/15 08:52 PM
Janice and Bud,

First let me tell you about that "B3." I call what I have "the B3 in a breadbox" - 16 pounds with the tonewheels, Leslie, overdrive, percussion, everything. all digitized. A real B3 will run you at least $40,000 today and weigh the same number in pounds. Folks used to take this monster on gigs in various types of vehicles (in the era before the invention of SUVs). Milt Buckner used a step van. Jimmy Smith used a hearse. One time, Eddie McFadden, Jimmy Smith's guitar player, had to give up his passenger seat and the only place for him was in the back, where they put the casket. So a cop pulls them over. The cop, suspicious, walks around to the back of the hearse and demands an inspection. Eddie jumps out and begins lurching forward, like a zombie. Jimmy says the cop was last seen running for his life, but I'm sure he was making it up.

Anyway, no one has ever asked about what it's like to be able to put together these tunes and post them on the Forum. I could use expressions like "dream come true" but that doesn't capture it. After a few years playing in crummy bars, I walked away from the business. I could never find musicians who could play my arrangements; good drummers were especially hard to find; I noticed that none of my musical colleagues were making it past the age of 52; even while alive some of them seemed half dead from drug-induced dementia. I assumed I would never play again.

I just managed to make it alive into the era of the disfiguration of the music business and the birth of internet music. Amazingly, if you look for talent there, you'll find it. Why, look at you guys!

I want to thank both of you for your thoughtful comments and rocket-fuel encouragement. I'm taking off for my summer sabbatical and hope that you'll still be turning out the great tunes when I get back in September.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: MOTIONS 11 - 06/29/15 11:00 PM
Hey SpaceDog,

What a wonderful compliment. I'm glad you liked the tune, but, I'll tell you that I don't hold a candle as a music teacher compared to ... that's right, Band-In-A-Box. The chord builder is an encyclopedia all by itself. The package comes with all kinds of ear training exercises; you can learn to read music by studying the lead sheets; by choosing the RealChart option you can get MIDI replicas of nearly every RealTrack and then learn from them, edit them, use all or just parts of them.

My last summer sabbatical was devoted to learning a bunch of DAWs. They all have a lot in common, but little in common with BIAB. Now its that time again. I hope you enjoy your summer and I'll see you and the gang in September.

Dean
Posted By: tommyad Re: MOTIONS 11 - 06/30/15 09:33 AM
Dean, Fabulous, fantastic and stupendous playing and arranging. Your musicality is so far advanced that I sometimes have trouble following the changes. Not this time. I was along for the whole ride. Great keyboard chops and a super guitar solo. This is my favorite AR song to date. Your mix sounds really good in my headphones. Bravo maestro. Tom
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: MOTIONS 11 - 06/30/15 02:38 PM
Like the movie playoff! as always superb work! Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: aleck rand Re: MOTIONS 11 - 07/01/15 09:25 PM
Tom,

Please check my PM to you.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: MOTIONS 11 - 07/01/15 09:33 PM
Mike,

I apologize for being so slow to respond, but I know that as a player you are the "real deal" - El trato real, man - so your comments are especially valuable to me. Thank you, my friend. I think the Forum has had a pretty big dose of me lately, so I'm hidin' out for the summer to work on things I've let lapse - like the bass. My chops need work.

See you in September.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: MOTIONS 11 - 07/04/15 12:28 AM
Trevor,

Really glad you liked this one - it was just a blast to create. Some tunes just go down easy, others - get ready for the poetry: have me

......................................tearing my hair in despair

I've been lucky with the last two posts so I'm not going to push it - the Forum has had a big dose of me lately. Have an enjoyable summer. See you in September.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: MOTIONS 11 - 07/04/15 12:38 AM
Alyn,

Thanks so much my friend. So you're having a heat wave over there? At least this is what the BBC World Service has been saying. Otherwise, the only topic of discussion is Greece. In just thirty three minutes it will be Sunday and the referendum. "Yes" is supposed to mean leave the EC or ... is it stay in the EC? By the time you read this, we'll find out. I don't know if you've been following this stuff, but there's no denying it's suspenseful.

I'm sure the world will still be here when I return in September. In the meantime, I hope it cools off and you have an enjoyable summer.

Dean
Posted By: PatrickH Re: MOTIONS 11 - 07/04/15 12:41 AM
Have a great summer. Thanks for leaving us with such a grooving/excellent tune and performance.

Patrick
Posted By: Scott C Re: MOTIONS 11 - 07/04/15 09:58 AM
Excellent tune. Love the different instruments intertwining with each other. Very cool
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: MOTIONS 11 - 07/04/15 06:51 PM
Hi dean outstanding acomplishment loved it all really liked the sound on the guitar solo perfect fit on everything thanks eric
Posted By: Dan-LBC Re: MOTIONS 11 - 07/05/15 12:17 PM
THAT is awesome.

This is so unique, well thought out and executed. Great production behind a ton of talent. I look forward to exploring more of your work as I get setteled in here... Dan
Posted By: aleck rand Re: MOTIONS 11 - 07/06/15 08:07 PM
Thanks so much Eric. Glad you liked it. I don't want to OD the PG Forum, so I'm hidin' out for the summer. See you in September.

Dean
© PG Music Forums