PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane One More Rhino - 07/10/15 10:45 AM
When Joanne first asked if I would be interested in writing a "rhino song" I wondered... "how could anyone do that?"
But, I figured I'd give it a try... and a couple hours later, this was done.
BIAB is incredible.

It's very cool that Tom's rhino song is from such a different perspective...
It's even cooler that Joanne is spearheading this..

ONE MORE RHINO

one more rhino hits the ground
poacher's bullet lays him down
the great beast crashes
the knife blade flashes
in the midday sun
will you turn a blind eye
'til there's only one
'til the madman leave us
just one more rhino

rich man in a distant land
pays his gold, holds out his hand
believing magic to cure his ills
a majestic beast ground down to pills

the great beast crashes
the knife blade flashes
in the midday sun
'til there's only one
'til the madman leave us
just one more rhino

stand up, raise your voice
this must be stopped, we've got no choice
who is watching, who protects
money changes hands, no one checks

the great beast crashes
the knife blade flashes
in the midday sun
'til there's only one
'til the madman leave us
just one more rhino

the BAND:

RealTracks in song: ~520:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 378:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming DoubleTime Ev 088
RealTracks in song: 836:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm AltCountryRootsy Ev 075 (A:muted)
RealTracks in song: 793:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming ModernCountrySync Ev 100
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleEven8^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
RealDrums in Song: CountryEven8: a: Brushes, HiHat b: Snare, Ride

Joanne - thanks for asking!
Thanks to everyone else for listening.
Comments encouraged. Have at it.

floyd
Posted By: Noel96 Re: One More Rhino - 07/10/15 11:20 AM
floyd,

Congratulations on such a great song. This is outstanding! The lyrics are incredibly visual and pack a huge punch with their message. In addition, the musical arrangement that frames the message showcases the song to perfection. At the end, I just sat here thinking and the imagery of the chorus was still unrolling inside my head. It was around 10 seconds before I realised that the song was over. This is a very powerful creation that you've put together! I can't believe that you came up with the concept in such a short time. This song will go places for sure!

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Guitartist Re: One More Rhino - 07/10/15 11:33 AM
Excellent job, Floyd!

I love your singing and the instrumentation supports it beautifully. The mix and the arrangement are spot-on. Perhaps most importantly, though, is the message. Great lyrics!

Ron
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: One More Rhino - 07/10/15 12:20 PM
cool tune.... yup, writing to this topic is not a walk in the park.... but you did a fine job.
Posted By: gibson Re: One More Rhino - 07/10/15 12:32 PM
floyd,

the first time I heard this I went WOW, such a good song in such a short time.
But then you and good songs are synonymous.

It's a hard write for a good cause, and you did well!

OUTSTANDING

Alyn
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: One More Rhino - 07/10/15 01:39 PM
Excellent work; the vocal is just brilliant, as well as the harmonies. Great set of lyrics as well! The mix sounds radio ready; thanks for sharing!
Posted By: ROG Re: One More Rhino - 07/10/15 03:04 PM
Hi Floyd.

Full of admiration. I wouldn't know where to start writing for this one.

Excellent lyrics - moving without being sentimental and sung in the same way.

Great backing track and perfect arrangement the way it builds and then winds down again.

A very tasteful and effective way of getting across the message.

ROG.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: One More Rhino - 07/10/15 06:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
floyd,

Congratulations on such a great song. This is outstanding! The lyrics are incredibly visual and pack a huge punch with their message. In addition, the musical arrangement that frames the message showcases the song to perfection. At the end, I just sat here thinking and the imagery of the chorus was still unrolling inside my head. It was around 10 seconds before I realised that the song was over. This is a very powerful creation that you've put together! I can't believe that you came up with the concept in such a short time. This song will go places for sure!

Regards,
Noel

Thanks for that, Noel... I like that 10 second pause... if we can affect people with our music, perhaps there is hope...
Posted By: RnAM Re: One More Rhino - 07/10/15 08:16 PM
Hi Floyd,

A cool song and I very much like that initial realtrack in the beginning. Will check that out too.
This is a great result for just four hours of work...
One little nit: the lead vocal appears to be a little too loud in the mix, but that's just my opinion.

Rob
Posted By: Sundance Re: One More Rhino - 07/10/15 11:19 PM
Floyd, I love the sparse production building then backing away again on this song. It really reinforces the lyrics and your vocal and the theme - one more rhino. Well done. Good luck with it.
Posted By: Planobilly Re: One More Rhino - 07/11/15 12:03 AM
Well Mr. Floyd....I was super impressed, by both the music, the lyrics, and the vocals.

I just got BIAB and just got to this site. I often write songs about things that really matter but little is sung about.

The lyrics were more than professional and shows a command of the language that I could only wish for.

I have a strange feeling I may have found a home here that I been lookin for with some real people who have something to say worth hearing.

Thanks for being you.

Cheers,

Billy
Posted By: RichMac Re: One More Rhino - 07/11/15 01:32 AM
Lovely chorus Floyd especially the first time through with just guitar and your voice.
Good strong stuff. Cheers.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: One More Rhino - 07/11/15 09:48 AM
The generosity and creativity of people on this forum continues to astound me. Thank you Floyd for rising to the challenge so beautifully and making me think that it would indeed be possible to put together an album of songs about the plight of the rhino. Every song is unique and adds to the entire collection.

I am busy working with the foundation to try and find a sponsor to cover the not inconsiderable cost of manufacturing 5000 memory sticks which will be disturbed via a large local stationary store (with the music preloaded). The memory sticks will be in the shape of a rhino and will have the logos of the foundation as well as the sponsor printed on it.

We have also managed to get some very well known South Africa artists to commit to doing a song for the album. Some of these artists don't have the time to write a song so will be willing to consider a song from another songwriter.

If anybody would like to write a song either for inclusion on the album or for consideration by one of these artist, there is still time while we search for a sponsor. Please don't hesitate to send me a pm.
Posted By: boehm Re: One More Rhino - 07/11/15 10:20 AM
Hi Floyd,
Originally Posted By: PgFantastic
Excellent work; the vocal is just brilliant, as well as the harmonies. Great set of lyrics as well! The mix sounds radio ready; thanks for sharing!

Like others I also like the build of the arrangement.
Thanks for taking part in Joanne's great project.

Guenter
Posted By: cubanpete Re: One More Rhino - 07/11/15 12:22 PM
Hi Floyd, how could you doubt yourself? Of course you can do it if anyone can! Great performance and mix as usual. See, that's what I envy about you writers...the writing! I certainly couldn't do it.

Later

Mike B.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: One More Rhino - 07/11/15 07:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitartist
Excellent job, Floyd!

I love your singing and the instrumentation supports it beautifully. The mix and the arrangement are spot-on. Perhaps most importantly, though, is the message. Great lyrics!

Ron

Thanks, Ron... appreciate that..

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
cool tune.... yup, writing to this topic is not a walk in the park.... but you did a fine job.

Thanks, Herb...
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: One More Rhino - 07/11/15 07:50 PM
Interesting musical bed you created for this one. Liked it a lot.

Charlie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: One More Rhino - 07/12/15 10:24 AM
Originally Posted By: gibson
floyd,

the first time I heard this I went WOW, such a good song in such a short time.
But then you and good songs are synonymous.

It's a hard write for a good cause, and you did well!

OUTSTANDING

Alyn

Thank you, Alyn...

Thanks, Robert... I appreciate that...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: One More Rhino - 07/12/15 04:47 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd.

Great backing track and perfect arrangement the way it builds and then winds down again.

ROG.

ROG - I really appreciate that very kind review...
Posted By: tommyad Re: One More Rhino - 07/12/15 04:55 PM
floyd, Great use of real tracks. The opening guitar and the way you brought in the kick, excellent! The drums sound great and propel it along at just the right time. This is an excellent write and I really hope it gets heard by a much larger audience. Once again you have shown us how powerful this program is when put in the hands of a great writer and arranger. Well done! Tom
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: One More Rhino - 07/12/15 09:51 PM
Only Floyd could pull off a song like this in a few hours!! Really powerful imagery, and beautiful, sparse production. It just all works. Vocal is outstanding as usual. Another FJ classic, and another great song for the rhino project! Great job, as usual Floyd! Take care. Greg
Posted By: big741 Re: One More Rhino - 07/13/15 01:05 PM
I'm on my second listen.

Excellent work all around!

Thanks for the music,
Dan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: One More Rhino - 07/13/15 06:57 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Floyd,

A cool song and I very much like that initial realtrack in the beginning. Will check that out too.
This is a great result for just four hours of work...
One little nit: the lead vocal appears to be a little too loud in the mix, but that's just my opinion.

Rob

Thanks, Rob. The vocal might be right on the verge of loud - but each time I listen, I change my mind....

Originally Posted By: Sundance
Floyd, I love the sparse production building then backing away again on this song. It really reinforces the lyrics and your vocal and the theme - one more rhino. Well done. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the listen, Josie... appreciate it...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: One More Rhino - 07/14/15 06:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Well Mr. Floyd....I was super impressed, by both the music, the lyrics, and the vocals.

I just got BIAB and just got to this site. I often write songs about things that really matter but little is sung about.

The lyrics were more than professional and shows a command of the language that I could only wish for.

I have a strange feeling I may have found a home here that I been lookin for with some real people who have something to say worth hearing.

Thanks for being you. Cheers, Billy

Billy - thanks for the kind words...appreciate that...

Originally Posted By: RichMac
Lovely chorus Floyd especially the first time through with just guitar and your voice.
Good strong stuff. Cheers.

Thank you, Richard...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: One More Rhino - 07/14/15 06:23 PM
Originally Posted By: JosieC
The generosity and creativity of people on this forum continues to astound me. Thank you Floyd for rising to the challenge so beautifully and making me think that it would indeed be possible to put together an album of songs about the plight of the rhino. Every song is unique and adds to the entire collection.

I am busy working with the foundation to try and find a sponsor to cover the not inconsiderable cost of manufacturing 5000 memory sticks which will be disturbed via a large local stationary store (with the music preloaded). The memory sticks will be in the shape of a rhino and will have the logos of the foundation as well as the sponsor printed on it.

We have also managed to get some very well known South Africa artists to commit to doing a song for the album. Some of these artists don't have the time to write a song so will be willing to consider a song from another songwriter.

If anybody would like to write a song either for inclusion on the album or for consideration by one of these artist, there is still time while we search for a sponsor. Please don't hesitate to send me a pm.

Joanne - this is an amazing thing that you have done. Thanks for asking...
Posted By: MarioD Re: One More Rhino - 07/14/15 07:34 PM
Hi Floyd.

ROG.

I couldn't say it any better so all I can add is you are one hell of a songsmith!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: One More Rhino - 07/15/15 03:29 PM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Floyd,

Like others I also like the build of the arrangement.
Thanks for taking part in Joanne's great project.

Guenter

Thanks, Guenter... appreciate you having a listen...

Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Hi Floyd, how could you doubt yourself? Of course you can do it if anyone can! Great performance and mix as usual. See, that's what I envy about you writers...the writing! I certainly couldn't do it.

Later

Mike B.

Thanks for dropping by Mike..
Posted By: olemon Re: One More Rhino - 07/15/15 06:58 PM

Yep.

I had the same question, 'How am I going to write a song about that?' Well, for you that question has been answered, Floyd. Nicely done.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: One More Rhino - 07/16/15 10:40 AM
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Interesting musical bed you created for this one. Liked it a lot.

Charlie

Thanks, Charlie.

Originally Posted By: tommyad
floyd, Great use of real tracks. The opening guitar and the way you brought in the kick, excellent! The drums sound great and propel it along at just the right time. This is an excellent write and I really hope it gets heard by a much larger audience. Once again you have shown us how powerful this program is when put in the hands of a great writer and arranger. Well done! Tom

Tom - Thanks so much for such a nice review! That opening guitar was a nice find for this song - did just what it needed to do - a nice change from the usual "opening acoustic"...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: One More Rhino - 07/17/15 09:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Only Floyd could pull off a song like this in a few hours!! Really powerful imagery, and beautiful, sparse production. It just all works. Vocal is outstanding as usual. Another FJ classic, and another great song for the rhino project! Great job, as usual Floyd! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg. You are too kind...

Originally Posted By: big741
I'm on my second listen.

Excellent work all around!

Thanks for the music,
Dan

Dan - thanks for the listen(s)...

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Hi Floyd.

ROG.

I couldn't say it any better so all I can add is you are one hell of a songsmith!

Mario - I do appreciate that...

Originally Posted By: olemon

Yep.

I had the same question, 'How am I going to write a song about that?' Well, for you that question has been answered, Floyd. Nicely done.

Hi, Scott! - always nice to see you drop by...
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: One More Rhino - 07/17/15 04:15 PM
Your song writing talents, vocal skills and production chops
are well known to the members of this forum. We've always
felt you had the ability to create backing tracks that are
always supportive of the vocal/message of the song. This
is a great example of that. It sounds like a group of musicians
that you had the opportunity to work with for a while before
laying the tracks down. No small feat in any situation but
really amazing with RT's.

The lyric, your vocal and the sparse arrangement yielded
a great effort for the rhino cause.

Kudos!

J&B
Posted By: dcuny Re: One More Rhino - 07/17/15 05:14 PM
Other than superlatives, there's not much to say.

It's even more impressive that you built this so quickly, yet it all comes across as completely organic.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: One More Rhino - 07/18/15 09:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Your song writing talents, vocal skills and production chops
are well known to the members of this forum. We've always
felt you had the ability to create backing tracks that are
always supportive of the vocal/message of the song. This
is a great example of that. It sounds like a group of musicians
that you had the opportunity to work with for a while before
laying the tracks down. No small feat in any situation but
really amazing with RT's.

The lyric, your vocal and the sparse arrangement yielded
a great effort for the rhino cause.

Kudos!

J&B

Always nice to hear things like that... I have work with this BAND for a couple of years now... smile

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Other than superlatives, there's not much to say.

It's even more impressive that you built this so quickly, yet it all comes across as completely organic.

Thanks, David - appreciate that...
© PG Music Forums