PG Music Home
Posted By: tommyad I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/16/15 12:47 PM
We are calling this blend of genres Appalachian Honky-Tonk. Bob (90db) supplied us with the band name I 75. So now we have a song to go along with it. I could get long winded here about the story the song tells, but will let it speak for itself. All comments/suggestions are encouraged. Tom

http://tommyadamsmusic.com/music

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13168730

Lead Vocal — Janice Merritt

Pedal Steel, Lead Guitar and Harmony Vocal — Tom Adams

RealTracks in song: ~592:Bass, Acoustic Bluegrass Doc Ev 100
RealTracks in song: 1946:Mandolin, Rhythm ModernCountrySync Ev16 100
RealTracks in style: 378:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming DoubleTime Ev 088
RealDrums: RealDrums in Song: NashTrainEv16^3-a:Brushes , b:Brushes 16th

I 75

Thought it might be best to leave you there that night

don’t know I could have made it through another fight

Took the baby and the boys you were passed out on the couch

No time to try and wash the blood off of my blouse

Just trying to survive

Headed up I 75

there’s been stories on the news bout what they call abuse

Is that us I ask myself but really what’s the use

never been apart since we were in our teens

How the hell do I know what co dependence means

Just glad to be alive
On I 75

There’s desperation in your phone calls
The kids keep asking if you’re alright
What can I tell them between the whiskey and the pills
Anything I say will be a lie
Cept Daddy sends his love but Daddy’s not coming home tonite

We’ve been stuck up here Knoxville Tennessee

I wonder now and then do you ever think of me

been talking to myself. bout heading south

Don't ya know I barely got the words out of my mouth

Well I dropped that car in drive

Headed down I 75

There’s desperation in your phone calls
The kids keep asking if you’re alright
What can I tell them between the whiskey and the pills
Anything I say will be a lie
Cept Daddy sends his love And Daddy we’re coming home tonite
Daddy sends his love Daddy we’re coming home tonite

©2015 Thomas Adams / Janice Merritt
Posted By: 90 dB Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/16/15 03:03 PM
Very nice............that's some sweet pickin too.

Hey - this might be a good time to get a jump on the bootleg, Unauthorized merch line we've come up with. We have key fobs, commemorative plates, beer coozies and T-Shirts. The shirts are available in any color (as long as it's white).

Regards,

Col. Bob Parker
I-75 Enterprises
Rural Route 4
Possum Hollow, Ar. 63006
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/16/15 03:14 PM
Bud, Janice and Tommy. This is absolutely phenomenal! What a very sad sad story and one that so many people are living on a day to day basis. Beautiful. I read somewhere about songwriting is about telling a story without giving the house away and this is exactly what you have done here. Janice's vocal is beautiful.
Posted By: olemon Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/16/15 03:37 PM
This is hit material!!!!!

What a terrific song. What else can I say? Standing ovation.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/16/15 04:54 PM
This is epic!!! Great write, great vocal, and some of the best guitar/pedal steel playing I've ever heard. I bow to an incredible ax man! So much life in the lyrics. Chorus is brilliant. From the intro (where I thought of the Allman bros.) to the last note, I was mesmerized. AWESOME job guys!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/17/15 02:12 AM
Superb writing and performance's in all areas thanks for sharing!
Posted By: cubanpete Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/17/15 02:45 AM
Tom and Janice, with both of you guys in a collab it is a sure pleasure listen. Superb voice and guitar picking.

Mike B.
Posted By: RichMac Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/17/15 03:53 AM
Super cool. Got that style off 100%. Cheers.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/17/15 04:58 AM
Excellent country write guys.
Just love a good story.
Rob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/17/15 09:00 AM
Tom & Janice...

An excellent write. Strong and tight. (I did want "On 175" to be "headed up.." as well). The chorus is spectacular - classic.

"there’s been stories on the news bout what they call abuse
How the hell do I know what co dependence means"

Nice.

Terrific melody.

The production is squeaky clean. Nice opening. The mandolin - a nice choice - the skip/train drum, too... The guitar is sweet. The steel is gorgeous (I keep finding myself listen so intently to it that I miss the song - so I listen again...)

The vocal is perfect, of course. I don't know if ANYONE could do this better.

The harmony is perhaps the best I've ever heard here.

floyd
Posted By: tommyad Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/17/15 10:42 AM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

Hey - this might be a good time to get a jump on the bootleg, Unauthorized merch line we've come up with. We have key fobs, commemorative plates, beer coozies and T-Shirts. The shirts are available in any color (as long as it's white).

Regards,

Col. Bob Parker
I-75 Enterprises
Rural Route 4
Possum Hollow, Ar. 63006
Hey Colonel, Glad to see you're on top of the business end. I need one of those beer coozies in the worst way! Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: JosieC
Bud, Janice and Tommy. This is absolutely phenomenal! What a very sad sad story and one that so many people are living on a day to day basis. Beautiful. I read somewhere about songwriting is about telling a story without giving the house away and this is exactly what you have done here. Janice's vocal is beautiful.
Joanne, Since you have brought awareness to the Rhino Project, we thought we would take a look at a different social issue. Thank you for the kind review. Tom
Originally Posted By: olemon

Scott, Thanks for the wonderful comments. Tom
Posted By: boehm Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/17/15 10:51 AM
Hi Janice and Tom,

great lyrics, great vocals, and awesome guitar and pedal steel playing. And not to forget the harmonies.
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter
Posted By: Sundance Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/17/15 12:52 PM
Very good song and one of your best collabs. Janice's vocal is a given. Especially liked the chorus and the harmony. Loved that steel - I'd like a user track of that style picking Tommy.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/17/15 01:12 PM
Good song, great production and performance. One of the best from you guys. enjoyed this one a lot.

Charlie
Posted By: Planobilly Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/17/15 01:49 PM
I enjoyed this a lot. Thought it was a really good tune. I like Honky Tonk and Appalachian, so this is a good blend to my ears. I'll let the experts comment on mixing and such.

My buddy Lewis and I create what we call Nuclear Appalachian....lol...a mix of Appalachian and Jazz with whole tone scales and the like used. Strange stuff for sure...lol

When I listen to this it felt like I was listing to the radio station, which is to say, it is as good as most and is better than many songs I hear on the radio.
Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Billy
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/17/15 02:29 PM

+1.

Tommy, your PSG work is reminiscent of Jay McDonald who was Buck Owens' original PSG player in The Buckaroos back in the day. Tom Brumley replaced him and I haven't found anything on YT by Jay. Jay had a signature bar-rocking that you've definitely got working for you, especially in the intro.

Janice' beautiful vox knocked this out of the park!

Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: dcuny Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/17/15 05:40 PM
Well written, sung and played. floyd covered all the details.

I love the clarity of the mix - it's great being able to hear all the instruments, yet understand all the words the first time through the song.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/17/15 07:10 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

Regards,

Col. Bob Parker
I-75 Enterprises
Rural Route 4
Possum Hollow, Ar. 63006

100 degrees and stupid humidity and what did we need? A GOOD LAUGH Thanks for delivering it in spades. Can we put a good IPA in one of those coozies or does it have to be a Bud Lite?

J&B

PS Glad you like the tune!

Thank you very much Joanne. This is, as you said, a sad story but one that needs all the attention that it can get. I hope this effort provides some. We deeply appreciate your comments.

Janice

Originally Posted By: olemon

How nice of you! Thanks a lot.

Janice
Posted By: tommyad Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/17/15 11:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
This is epic!!! Great write, great vocal, and some of the best guitar/pedal steel playing I've ever heard. I bow to an incredible ax man! So much life in the lyrics. Chorus is brilliant. From the intro (where I thought of the Allman bros.) to the last note, I was mesmerized. AWESOME job guys!!! Take care. Greg
Thanks Greg for the great review. We appreciate it. Tom
Originally Posted By: PgFantastic
Robert, glad you liked it. Tom
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Tom and Janice, with both of you guys in a collab it is a sure pleasure listen. Superb voice and guitar picking.

Mike B.
Hey Mike, Glad you stopped by. Thanks, Tom
Posted By: gibson Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/18/15 03:04 AM
Janice, Tom and Bud,

THIS is country as it should be, you 3 should be STARS!
Everything about this is just perfect. Vocals, guitar EVERYTHING!

This was the 2nd loud song for my neighbours today and the little old dear, as mentioned in my response to Rob Thurlow, waved again! (I was hanging out the washing at 6.45am and she was doing the same and she waved when I played his song loud) I'll ask her later what she thought of both laugh

A very good way to start my day, thank you

Alyn
Posted By: 90 dB Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/18/15 09:19 AM
"Can we put a good IPA in one of those coozies or does it have to be a Bud Lite?"

Bud Lite? eek Yuck!!!!!!

We are working on an I-75 IPA, though. Got some graphics done already.

Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/18/15 10:12 AM
Been out and away for a time.... so getting back to listening to the tunes here.

Nice one. I love the lyrical craftsmanship on display here. Some really good lines and Floyd pointed out.

The only thing about the song that I didn't like was in the end she thought it could still work and was headed back to "daddy". I know it's a song, but my sister in law went through this and through this and through this and we were trying to help her the entire time..... she was hit, threatened with a knife and lighter fluid/bic lighter, and more.... she finally got out and has stayed out. She's now married and the slime ball is also married to someone else.

All that aside..... hey, a really nice tune.... loved the steel playing.... I would probably have shortened the solo up a bit and turned it back around into the chorus but hey.... it works, so let it roll on down the interstate.

Good job to all.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/18/15 04:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Thanks Gregg. It's interesting that you mentioned the ABB because Bud and I thought that the melodic intro reminded us of Betts. Thank you so much.

Janice

Originally Posted By: PgFantastic

Mike B.

Thank you Mike for mentioning Tom's playing and my vocal!

Janice

Mike B.

Thank you Mike. I am happy that you liked it!

Janice
Posted By: RnAM Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/18/15 09:04 PM
Hi Tommy and Janice,

This is great!
Tom, we didn't know you also played the pedal steel, magnificent!
Good lyrics, vocals blend very well together.
All in all a very smooth sound.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: ROG Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/19/15 07:54 AM
Hi Tom & Janice.

Very, VERY professional throughout.

Classy piece of writing with a classic country storyline and beautifully arranged, played and sung.

The only thing which I found difficult was reconciling the up-beat backing with the extremely sad story, particularly the inevitability of the last line.

I get the feeling this would make a great film.

ROG.
Posted By: tommyad Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/19/15 12:07 PM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Richard, what we tried for was three bluegrass instruments and three electric instruments. Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Just love a good story.
Rob
Rob,Thanks we appreciate it.
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Tom & Janice...

An excellent write. Strong and tight. (I did want "On 175" to be "headed up.." as well). The chorus is spectacular - classic.

Nice.

Terrific melody.

The production is squeaky clean. Nice opening. The mandolin - a nice choice - the skip/train drum, too... The guitar is sweet. The steel is gorgeous (I keep finding myself listen so intently to it that I miss the song - so I listen again...)

floyd

f, I hear what you are saying about the on I75 part. It probably would have made it a little more cohesive. On the other hand I was trying for a beginning, middle and end. By leaving the middle just on I 75 it was intended to make her seem undecided since it didn't say up or down. All in all your idea would have simplified it and I wish I would have thought of it. Thanks for the nice comments and yes Janice is very highly developed in her craft and Bud and her are a pure pleasure to work with. Tom
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/20/15 08:38 AM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Just love a good story.
Rob

Thanks guys!

Janice

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Tom & Janice...

Nice.

Terrific melody.

floyd

Thank you floyd. It was sweet of you to say that about my vocal. Tom's arrangement made my part easy to sing. But the story was very tough to work with. Bud and I have discussed these situations where the woman keeps returning to the person she ran from. It is so sad and hard to understand codependency.

Janice
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/20/15 04:37 PM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Janice and Tom,

great lyrics, great vocals, and awesome guitar and pedal steel playing. And not to forget the harmonies.
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter

Thank you Guenter. Tom did a great job on the harmony!

Janice
Posted By: tommyad Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/21/15 10:28 AM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Janice and Tom,

Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter
Thanks Guenter. We are glad you liked it. Tom
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Very good song and one of your best collabs. Janice's vocal is a given. Especially liked the chorus and the harmony. Loved that steel - I'd like a user track of that style picking Tommy.
Josie , Thanks for the nice comments. If I ever get the time I will explore user tracks. I confess I haven't even looked at them. Tom
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Good song, great production and performance. One of the best from you guys. enjoyed this one a lot.

Charlie
Charlie, I was hoping that you would like the style. Thanks, Tom
Posted By: big741 Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/21/15 07:12 PM
This is a great tune. Powerful lyrics, a beautiful vocal and some awesome pedal steel and guitar work.

Bravo!

Thanks for the music,
Dan
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/22/15 06:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance

Thank you! It was a pleasure to work with Tom on this.

Janice

Originally Posted By: c_fogle

Charlie

Thanks Charlie. Tom really did wonderful arrangement and production. Bud is still pointing out sublties in the mix that sound so good.

Janice

Originally Posted By: Planobilly
I enjoyed this a lot. Thought it was a really good tune. I like Honky Tonk and Appalachian, so this is a good blend to my ears. I'll let the experts comment on mixing and such.

My buddy Lewis and I create what we call Nuclear Appalachian....lol...a mix of Appalachian and Jazz with whole tone scales and the like used. Strange stuff for sure...lol

When I listen to this it felt like I was listing to the radio station, which is to say, it is as good as most and is better than many songs I hear on the radio.
Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Billy

Thanks Billy. I really do appreciate the kind comments. Bud and I laughed out loud at "Nuclear Appalachian!" That is a strange brew smile
Posted By: tommyad Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/23/15 10:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Planobilly

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Billy
Thanks for the kind words Billy. Bud and Janice have a long history playing bluegrass and I played in a honky tonk band for many years so the blend of styles was a good fit for us. Tom
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor

+1.

Tommy, your PSG work is reminiscent of Jay McDonald who was Buck Owens' original PSG player in The Buckaroos back in the day. Tom Brumley replaced him and I haven't found anything on YT by Jay. Jay had a signature bar-rocking that you've definitely got working for you, especially in the intro.

Thanks for sharing.

Don, I am familiar with Jay McDonald and Brumley created one of the best steel solos ever with Together Again. Janice continues to astound us all with her vocal abilities. Thanks for coming by and commenting. We appreciate it. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/23/15 10:59 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny

I love the clarity of the mix - it's great being able to hear all the instruments, yet understand all the words the first time through the song.
David, we are always glad when you take the time to comment. Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: gibson
Janice, Tom and Bud,

This was the 2nd loud song for my neighbours today and the little old dear, as mentioned in my response to Rob Thurlow, waved again! (I was hanging out the washing at 6.45am and she was doing the same and she waved when I played his song loud) I'll ask her later what she thought of both laugh

Alyn
Alyn, I just hope they don't kick you out of the neighborhood! Thanks for the great review. Tom
Posted By: PeterF Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/23/15 08:32 PM
Very nice.
Posted By: tommyad Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/24/15 09:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Been out and away for a time.... so getting back to listening to the tunes here.

Nice one. I love the lyrical craftsmanship on display here. Some really good lines and Floyd pointed out.

The only thing about the song that I didn't like was in the end she thought it could still work and was headed back to "daddy". I know it's a song, but my sister in law went through this and through this and through this and we were trying to help her the entire time..... she was hit, threatened with a knife and lighter fluid/bic lighter, and more.... she finally got out and has stayed out. She's now married and the slime ball is also married to someone else.

All that aside..... hey, a really nice tune.... loved the steel playing.... I would probably have shortened the solo up a bit and turned it back around into the chorus but hey.... it works, so let it roll on down the interstate.

Good job to all.
Herb, Thanks for the listen and the comments. You may not have liked the way the story ended but unfortunately that is the sad reality of codependency. Tom
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Tommy and Janice,

This is great!

Rob and Anne-Marie
R&A-M, Thank you for the very kind words. Tom
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Tom & Janice.

Classy piece of writing with a classic country storyline and beautifully arranged, played and sung.

The only thing which I found difficult was reconciling the up-beat backing with the extremely sad story, particularly the inevitability of the last line.

ROG.
ROG, It's interesting that you mentioned the upbeat feel. I have found that sometimes in an extremely sad or depressing song it is a little easier to listen to it when it's not slow. Sometimes it works , sometimes it doesn't. Thanks for the fine comments. Tom
Originally Posted By: big741
This is a great tune. Powerful lyrics, a beautiful vocal and some awesome pedal steel and guitar work.

Bravo!

Thanks for the music,
Dan
Dan, We thank you for your complimentary review. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/24/15 09:46 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Very nice.
Peter, Thanks! Tom
Posted By: MarioD Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/24/15 07:19 PM
I'm very late to the party but glad that I made it. Everything that I wanted to say already has been said so again I will say how in hell haven't you three been signed!

SUPER!
Posted By: Curt Young Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/24/15 11:17 PM
Great song. I've listened several times to this one, and thoroughly enjoy it. A lot of talent, here.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/25/15 01:42 AM
Love the feel, the drums and mandolin especially. Good vocals!
Kicking!

Kenny
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/25/15 09:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor

+1.

Thanks for sharing.

I really appreciate that Don!

Janice

Originally Posted By: dcuny

Thanks! Tom is a master at that.
Janice
Posted By: tommyad Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/25/15 11:41 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I'm very late to the party but glad that I made it. Everything that I wanted to say already has been said so again I will say how in hell haven't you three been signed!

SUPER!
Mario, I am always glad when you check in. Thanks for the kind words. Tom
Originally Posted By: Curt Young
Great song. I've listened several times to this one, and thoroughly enjoy it. A lot of talent, here.
Curt, We are glad you liked it. Thank you, Tom
Originally Posted By: 44Aceman
Kicking!

Kenny
Kenny, This was a bit of a challenge to mix with the acoustic and electric instruments . We were looking for a particular sound. And yes Janice can really sing! Thanks, Tom
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/25/15 06:44 PM
Originally Posted By: gibson
Janice, Tom and Bud,

Alyn

Well, we can only hope the little old dear wasn't disturbed by a song about domestic violence. smile

Glad you liked it!

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

Good job to all.

Thanks Herb. It is disturbing and that made it a bit hard for me to sing. But like Tom pointed out the song emphasizes how co-dependency often results in this ending.

Janice
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/25/15 10:59 PM
The musical backing you have put behind your vocal is the perfect vehicle for this song. Voices blended very well together. Lot of talent showing here. Thanks, Torrey.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/28/15 02:37 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Tommy and Janice,

This is great!

Rob and Anne-Marie

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Tom & Janice.

ROG.

Originally Posted By: big741

Bravo!

Thanks for the music,
Dan

Thank y'all so much for mentioning the vocal. It is really appreciated!

Janice

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Very nice.

Originally Posted By: MarioD

SUPER!

Thanks! Mario, you are too kind.

Janice

Originally Posted By: Curt Young

Originally Posted By: 44Aceman
Kicking!

Kenny

Curt and Kenny, I appreciate what you said. Thanks!

Janice
Posted By: Al-David Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/29/15 12:18 AM
Hi Tom and Janice ...

Some good old country music with an Americana feel. Great production and performance by both of you. We loved this ... some great sounds! Congrats to both of you ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: tommyad Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/29/15 09:15 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
The musical backing you have put behind your vocal is the perfect vehicle for this song. Voices blended very well together. Lot of talent showing here. Thanks, Torrey.
Torrey, We thank you very much. Tom
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Tom and Janice ...

Some good old country music with an Americana feel. Great production and performance by both of you. We loved this ... some great sounds! Congrats to both of you ...

Alan & Di
Al and Di, We've missed you. Hope you both are well. Thanks for the kind words. Best to you both, Tom
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 07/30/15 06:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss

Thanks Torrey!

Janice

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Tom and Janice ...

Alan & Di

Well thank you and great to see you here!

Janice
Posted By: Noel96 Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 08/08/15 08:38 AM
Hi Janice and Tom,

What a terrific song! Everything about this, from construction to presentation, delivers the verdict “professional all the way”.

I apologise for taking so long to get this comment posted. Word tells me that I first started writing about “I-75” back on July 19. I clearly remember sitting down, typing, deleting, typing, deleting for 30 minutes or so and not getting anywhere. There are so many good things about this song that, at the time, I couldn't work out what I wanted to say. So I shelved what I'd written and decided to come back to it at a later time when my thinking was less cloudy.

Tonight when I re-listened and once again read through the lyrics, it was like sunshine. What stood out to me most is just how powerful the sequence of rhymes in “I-75” is.

Let me explain…

At one of the first Pat Pattison seminars I went to, Pat spoke about how it's possible to construct verses and choruses by simply deciding on a sequence of rhymes and then using a predetermined poetic meter to construct lines/phrases that incorporate the rhymes. Working this way, the chances of using fresh and strong rhymes are greatly enhanced. It's a sort of 'reverse engineering' approach to lyrics.

Quote:
For example say I want a 4-line verse that follows the poetic meter of 'Mary Had A Little Lamb' (that is 4 feet, 3 feet, 4 feet, 3 feet) and a rhyme scheme of ABAB. This could be the first verse of a song where I want to recall (say) a childhood fear of storms because I'm going to use it as a metaphor in the second verse.

For rhymes I could use something like...

blue skies
shaking
paralysed
breaking

These rhymes come across as interesting to me and seem to conjure up a story all on their own. They could then lead me onto maybe…

no blue skies
thunder shaking
I was paralysed
Heaven was breaking

The above, when being massaged into the 4-3-4-3 meter, might undergo some modifications and lead me to a verse and chorus of...

(VERSE)
Black had drowned the blue skies
The whole world was shaking
My legs and lungs were paralysed
Heaven and Hell were breaking
Horror was awakening

(CHORUS)
When the storm rages
And the winds howl
Say a prayer and remember
Sooner or later they'll blow away
And they'll leave behind them a brand new day

While there's heaps of room for improvement with the above, this seems to have some metaphoric potential for the ending of a hostile relationship. The important thing is that I've got something started and it all began with considering rhymes. As Pat says, “Don't be afraid to write crap. After all, crap is the best fertiliser.”

Back to “I-75”...

When I looked at the end-of-line rhymes for your song, I found

Originally Posted By: Tom and Janice
night
fight
couch
blouse
survive
I 75

How cool is that! The verse 1 "I-75" story is pretty much there at the end of the lines in rhyme. Lyrically, this packs a punch because the meaning of the words that fill the lines will be amplified by the message contained in the rhymes. This is excellent lyric crafting.

If one applies the same analysis to the other song sections, it's easy to see that the rhymes are the amplifiers of meaning and emotion. Very nicely done!

You've got my applause. I really enjoyed my listens.

All the best,
Noel

Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 08/08/15 09:49 AM
Wow Noel. Good stuff here. It is similar to a technique a college professor showed me way back in 1972. I still recall the sequence

Night (subject)
Dark, still (two things it is)
coming, going gone (three things it does)
It never stays long ( a descriptive sentence)
Night ( repeat subject)

Then use it for your template for lyrics.

My wife and I were discussing just this morning, after a song on the radio brought back memories of years past, how music is more than something we create, it is an energy we tap into that triggers something somewhere in our brain to recall images, places and conversations that are sometimes from decades ago.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 08/08/15 09:56 AM
Charlie,

That's excellent stuff!!! Really excellent. And very, very useful. Such a simple weaving of words yet it engages the brain and unlocks a kaleidoscope of possibilities. So perfect for lyric writing. In the above, you've created a quality chorus (that's how I hear it, at least).

I'll be adding this technique to my tool box!

Quote:
Here's my effort with some poetic licence...

A love affair to remember (subject)
Blazing hope and joy (two things it is)
With so many memories, it sails the years (three things it does)
And never fades, never runs away
It's sunshine on a rainy day (a desciption)

I've tried to use the "-ay" and "-un" sounds in addition to alliteration and consonance to provide sonic links so that end-of-line rhymes are not needed.

How you've described music is exactly how it works for me, too. It does something to the brain that's very valuable for happy living.

A recent personal example is 90dB's cover of my song "Brighter Than Any Star". Even though I wrote the music and lyrics, and sang it a hundred times (at least) during the creation process, when I heard Bob's version, images of my sons when they were children flooded my mind. Not once did that happen when I was creating the song. For me, it was a love song, nothing more. Bob's interpretation added a whole new dimension for me that was a unique blend of his performance and my experience. I was very grateful to him for bringing me those memories. So much so that I put the song on repeat and just let it play over and over so that I could relive the past a little bit.

There's a lot yet to be learnt about music and its effect on the psyche.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. Thank you for getting out your Bic lighter and gently applying pressure to Bob smile

Posted By: gruverider Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 08/08/15 11:55 PM
I just love the melody and chords of the chorus!!! and the production is so super clean!

Great song!
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 08/09/15 08:33 AM

Hello friends,

when it is expected the release of the 45s?
This is a great song that has nothing to envy the famous songs.

Very fine.
Hello.

Sergio
Posted By: tommyad Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 08/09/15 04:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Charlie,

That's excellent stuff!!! Really excellent. And very, very useful. Such a simple weaving of words yet it engages the brain and unlocks a kaleidoscope of possibilities. So perfect for lyric writing. In the above, you've created a quality chorus (that's how I hear it, at least).

I'll be adding this technique to my tool box!

Quote:
Here's my effort with some poetic licence...

Blazing hope and joy (two things it is)
With so many memories, it sails the years (three things it does)
And never fades, never runs away
It's sunshine on a rainy day (a desciption)

I've tried to use the "-ay" and "-un" sounds in addition to alliteration and consonance to provide sonic links so that end-of-line rhymes are not needed.

How you've described music is exactly how it works for me, too. It does something to the brain that's very valuable for happy living.

A recent personal example is 90dB's cover of my song "Brighter Than Any Star". Even though I wrote the music and lyrics, and sang it a hundred times (at least) during the creation process, when I heard Bob's version, images of my sons when they were children flooded my mind. Not once did that happen when I was creating the song. For me, it was a love song, nothing more. Bob's interpretation added a whole new dimension for me that was a unique blend of his performance and my experience. I was very grateful to him for bringing me those memories. So much so that I put the song on repeat and just let it play over and over so that I could relive the past a little bit.

There's a lot yet to be learnt about music and its effect on the psyche.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. Thank you for getting out your Bic lighter and gently applying pressure to Bob smile

Noel and Charlie, Thank you both very much for adding your insightful comments. There is much to be learned from your observations. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 08/09/15 04:26 PM
Originally Posted By: gruverider
I just love the melody and chords of the chorus!!! and the production is so super clean!

Great song!
Gruve, Thanks for the nice review. We appreciate it. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 08/09/15 04:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Hello friends,

when it is expected the release of the 45s?
This is a great song that has nothing to envy the famous songs.

Very fine.
Hello.

Sergio

Sergio, thanks much! Tom
Posted By: Steve Young Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 08/09/15 11:40 PM
Tom & Janice,

Wow, what a song! As y'all know, I have been out for most of the past several months. I almost missed this one. Boy am I glad Noel and Charlie "bumped" it back up to the top so I would hear it! Like everything about it. Sad story, well presented in an ironically upbeat bed of music. Janice, as usual, did an outstanding job on the vocals. And Tom, you lead guitar and steel guitar work is stellar! Great job on the lyrics.

Again, glad I got to hear it!

Steve
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: I 75 (Co-Write Tom & Janice) - 04/05/17 02:09 PM
There are just so many songs in the showcase now, it makes it hard to keep up at times. What's really helpful is some members here have given recommendations of people to listen to for this or that. You sir, are one that has had repeated recommendations.

At the recent advice of someone on here I'm sure we both admire and respect I started listening to MANY of your songs. This song, even more specifically, was recommended.

I have to say, it's no mystery why. The comments before mine have covered things way better than I could.

That being said, I personally love "driving" type of songs a lot. This has that feel all the way around. It's amazing to me that you could have that type of sound work so well with such a strong treatment of the lyrical subject. It works, because you know what to do. I wouldn't have tackled it, I can tell you that much. Very well done!

Janice-"wow!" again. Her tone, timing and just overall delivery was what the song needed. The two of you blend REALLY well too! That chorus sounds SO good!

Production...emphasis on PROduction. Enough said there wink

Now back to listening to your songs. If you have any you feel particularly strong about, or are proud of, please shoot me a PM. I would love to put emphasis on those.

Great job again! I'm a fan!
© PG Music Forums