PG Music Home
Posted By: olemon Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/18/15 11:51 AM
Gosh, a long story:

After moving to bayou country back in '99, I soon fell in with some special folks who showed me the wonders of the coastal marsh and the Atchafalaya River Basin. At the time, my work was also related to the river so it was a large part of my daily life.

Anyway, if you look at a Google map, you will find Carencro Lake in the coastal marsh just east of the river and SSE of Morgan City, LA, which is the region in which I learned the finer points of cast netting for shrimp, running trot lines for catfish, boiling crawfish and generally having a good time:) When the whistle blows at the steel fabrication yard, it's time to head for the water to catch some crabs or redfish or bass or sac-a-lait (crappie).

At some point, one of those friends was helping me find a nice cast net. We got to talking about the area and the culture and having to run from hurricanes and about how he couldn't think of living anywhere else. 'No,' I said, 'it's in your blood.'

Well, it's not exactly a universal song since it was inspired by and written for those local people who are now like family. When we get together they all sing this and harmonize. The two gals who are singing harmony on the recording are mother and daughter. Their family is one of those the song is for. I sing in choir with them. I've been waiting to record this for a long time and was thrilled they were part of it. They're accomplished vocalists/musicians and helped me dial in the mix as well. I hope we're close....

It's a simple tune, but it's one of my favs. I'll shut up now. Fire away.

https://soundcloud.com/scott-h-olson/bayou-in-my-blood

BAYOU IN MY BLOOD

Copyright © 2003 by Scott H. Olson

Spanish moss, cypress trees
That warm southern breeze
Atchafalaya, running strong
I can watch that river all day long

Carencro, a wild sunset
By the moon I cast my net
Cajun water, Lou'sian'
Planted here by God's own hand

Chorus A

And don't fear no hurricane
I don't fear no flood
I've got steel in my courage
And bayou in my blood

There's a girl, waits for me
We'll start a family
Like my Mama and Daddy did
Fill our little house with lots of kids

And we'll live, the life we've made
Set our rockers in the shade
Watch that river rolling by
Until the day I die

Chorus B

And I won't fear no hurricane
I won't fear no flood
I've got steel in my courage
And bayou in my blood

Repeat Chorus A

Style is _BM_CTRY.STY (Fast Country Fiddle Solo [165RS])

RealTracks in song:

1846:Bass, Electric, CountryBoogieRootFive Sw
598:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Bluegrass Ev
593:Fiddle, Background Ev
618:Fiddle, Bluegrass, Rhythm
2030:Fiddle, Soloist CountryAndy Ev 165

Drums: EZDrummer 2
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/18/15 12:00 PM
Love this one Scott. Great singing - made me think of chicken on the ground under a big old oak tree.

BTW - which brand/size cast net did you finally get?

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/18/15 12:06 PM
The back story built my anticipation and the song didn't disappoint. My favorite from you so far. Hang on to your choir partners, their harmonies were awesome and a great match to your vocals. Some may feel and comment that the vocals are a bit too up front but I enjoyed the mix as it is. Great job. I enjoyed this one a lot and heading back for another listen.

Charlie
Posted By: boehm Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/18/15 01:38 PM
Hi Scott,

thanks a lot for the interesting background
story. Great singing and lovely harmonies.
Enjoyable listen.

Guenter
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/18/15 02:03 PM
Living here in south Florida and fishing all the time a cast net is just part of my life. Just had a new custom one built by a guy who has been making them for 40 plus years. Super happy with the net.

Having worked and played in you neck of the woods this song brings me back to a time far in my distant past.

This may have gotten to me through all this modern computer stuff and been recorded with the same modern software but I can hear the past clear as a bell.

I guess we are all better off for the technology....perhaps, but I sometimes miss the live acoustic music. No amp, no mic,no electric nothing, not even electric lights. Nothing can replace the soft glow of a "coal oil" lamp and the voice of the friends we live around.

I have a special affection for "cajun country" and miss singing in French and eating shrimp gumbo.

Thanks for the song and the reminder of times past.

Merci beaucoup. Il a été un plaisir

Billy
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/18/15 02:09 PM
Scotty,

I've heard you do this one sans harmonies and backing track and thought it great then. With the great harmonies and backing track, you've improved on perfection.

Your prowess on vocals, diction, and delivery has always impressed me and we all could take a lesson from you, my amigo.

Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/18/15 03:40 PM
Now that is a great upbeat song. I grew up in extreme SW GA which is definitely
not bayou country but I just felt right at home with this tune - but we had plenty
of cypress trees and Spanish moss. Janice said it just made her feel good!

Everything sits just right on my monitors. Your heartfelt vocal is perfect for the lyric
and the harmonies ice the cake.

Thanks for the opportunity to hear this. We both very much enjoyed it.

J&B
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/18/15 06:28 PM
Very very cool Scott!! Love the vibe, and the BG vocals are awesome. The boys from the box fit in perfectly. Wouldn't mind the bass being a bit louder. Absolutely love this! Take care. Greg
Posted By: RnAM Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/18/15 08:54 PM
Hi Scott,

This sounds great Scott!
A solid country song, vocals and backing vocals are top notch.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: gibson Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/19/15 02:26 AM
Absolutely superb
wonderful vocals and harmonies.

Thanks for the story as it makes the song so much more real

excellent, thanks for sharing

Alyn
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/19/15 03:02 AM
Hi Scott,

What an OUTSTANDING listen! There's no way anyone could listen to this and not feel great. The song, its arrangement, performance and mix lack for nothing. I was absorbed from start to finish.

All the best,
Noel

Posted By: ROG Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/19/15 08:04 AM
Hi Scott.

A great song and very atmospheric - I've just put that area on my list of places to visit when I finally do my tour of the US.

The background information makes the song special - thanks for including that. It conjures up wonderful images as the song plays.

ROG.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/19/15 09:41 AM
Terrific, Scott.

A tight write. A cool sing-along chorus.

Cool vocals all around. Good mix.

One of your best!

(where's the squeezebox????)

Going back for a fourth listen...

floyd
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/20/15 01:38 PM
Scott,

Well written, performed and produced song. I am most impressed by the vocals and the arrangement. I really liked the way the fiddle was used. The backup vocals complement your main vocal. Got me missing the moss hanging from the Spainish oaks.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/20/15 01:55 PM
Hi Scotty
Love it! Especially that low "echo" backing vocal. Was that you? Loved the line "I've got steel in my courage". Will try to tune in to a show on SJ so I can hear this one live. Good job.///
Posted By: dcuny Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/21/15 01:07 AM
This is awesome, like a cool breeze on a hot summer night! Polished and professional all the way.
Posted By: olemon Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/21/15 11:07 AM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Love this one Scott. Great singing - made me think of chicken on the ground under a big old oak tree.

BTW - which brand/size cast net did you finally get?

Regards,

Bob

Thanks, Bob. As I recall it was a 7' net. Don't remember the brand, but I remember the canal where I tore it up on some bottom debris:)

Originally Posted By: c_fogle
The back story built my anticipation and the song didn't disappoint. My favorite from you so far. Hang on to your choir partners, their harmonies were awesome and a great match to your vocals. Some may feel and comment that the vocals are a bit too up front but I enjoyed the mix as it is. Great job. I enjoyed this one a lot and heading back for another listen.

Charlie

Appreciate that, Charlie. Glad you enjoyed the narrative:)

We recorded vocals for another song that same day - haven't mixed it yet - and given the positive feedback they're getting so far on this, my choir partners are excited about doing more. Me too!

I went back and forth on the vocals with volume automation and gain - oh so many times. The reference mixes I used were Darius Rucker's cover of 'Wagon Wheel' and Alan Jackson's 'Small Town Southern Man.' Not the same song styles, but those productions appealed to me. I tried to match the vocal levels I heard in those songs.

Thanks again for those kind words.

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Scott,

thanks a lot for the interesting background
story. Great singing and lovely harmonies.
Enjoyable listen.

Guenter

Thank you, Guenter:)

Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Living here in south Florida and fishing all the time a cast net is just part of my life. Just had a new custom one built by a guy who has been making them for 40 plus years. Super happy with the net.

Having worked and played in you neck of the woods this song brings me back to a time far in my distant past.

This may have gotten to me through all this modern computer stuff and been recorded with the same modern software but I can hear the past clear as a bell.

I guess we are all better off for the technology....perhaps, but I sometimes miss the live acoustic music. No amp, no mic,no electric nothing, not even electric lights. Nothing can replace the soft glow of a "coal oil" lamp and the voice of the friends we live around.

I have a special affection for "cajun country" and miss singing in French and eating shrimp gumbo.

Thanks for the song and the reminder of times past.

Merci beaucoup. Il a été un plaisir

Billy

Thanks, Billy. I was hoping for a traditional sounding recording.

Ever soak a monofilament net in fabric softener? It works well.

Btw, I do not speak the language, but I know some people who do:)
Posted By: big741 Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/21/15 07:24 PM
It's pretty much all been said.

Outstanding work!

Thanks for the music,
Dan
Posted By: Sundance Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/22/15 12:02 AM
Sounds great Scott. Those harmonies are terrific with your voice. And love the live feel of it.

We almost moved near there when my honey was hosting a show on KPEL many moons ago.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/23/15 09:37 AM
Scott, Nicely written and very well sung. Fantastic vocals. Love the little baritone part In the chorus. The fiddle gives it the Cajun feel that you were looking for. Very nicely done and looking for more from you and the girls. Good job! Tom
Posted By: MarioD Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/24/15 09:02 PM
It's all been said!

Coming from upper western New York State I for sure ain't no Cajun but I do love that toe tapping happy music. This was one of those songs!

Great job!
Posted By: PeterF Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/24/15 09:14 PM
Like everyone else - excellent loved the harmonies.
Posted By: olemon Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/25/15 10:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
Scotty,

I've heard you do this one sans harmonies and backing track and thought it great then. With the great harmonies and backing track, you've improved on perfection.

Your prowess on vocals, diction, and delivery has always impressed me and we all could take a lesson from you, my amigo.

Thanks for posting.

What can I say to that? Thank you, Don:)

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Now that is a great upbeat song. I grew up in extreme SW GA which is definitely
not bayou country but I just felt right at home with this tune - but we had plenty
of cypress trees and Spanish moss. Janice said it just made her feel good!

Everything sits just right on my monitors. Your heartfelt vocal is perfect for the lyric
and the harmonies ice the cake.

Thanks for the opportunity to hear this. We both very much enjoyed it.

J&B

When people ask me what kind of music I write or play, I often answer, 'Feel good music.' I have an unfinished song lying around somewhere called 'Feel Good Song.' Anyway, you made my day with your comments. Thank you, both.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very very cool Scott!! Love the vibe, and the BG vocals are awesome. The boys from the box fit in perfectly. Wouldn't mind the bass being a bit louder. Absolutely love this! Take care. Greg

Appreciate that, Greg. Oh that low end:(

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Scott,

This sounds great Scott!
A solid country song, vocals and backing vocals are top notch.

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thank you for the listens. I'm passing on your nice comments to the gals.

Originally Posted By: gibson
Absolutely superb
wonderful vocals and harmonies.

Thanks for the story as it makes the song so much more real

excellent, thanks for sharing

Alyn

Why thank you, Alyn. Glad you appreciated the story and enjoyed the song:)

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Scott,

What an OUTSTANDING listen! There's no way anyone could listen to this and not feel great. The song, its arrangement, performance and mix lack for nothing. I was absorbed from start to finish.

All the best,
Noel

I'm feeling pretty great about your reaction to the song! Thank you.

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Scott.

A great song and very atmospheric - I've just put that area on my list of places to visit when I finally do my tour of the US.

The background information makes the song special - thanks for including that. It conjures up wonderful images as the song plays.

ROG.

Thanks, ROG. Like I mentioned, it's not a universal tune, so I thought I'd explain it's origins at least.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Terrific, Scott.

A tight write. A cool sing-along chorus.

Cool vocals all around. Good mix.

One of your best!

(where's the squeezebox????)

Going back for a fourth listen...

floyd

Thank you, Floyd! Your comments are always most welcome. Yeah, we kicked around the idea of an accordian or a washboard. Perhaps in the live version:)

Originally Posted By: JimFogle
Scott,

Well written, performed and produced song. I am most impressed by the vocals and the arrangement. I really liked the way the fiddle was used. The backup vocals complement your main vocal. Got me missing the moss hanging from the Spainish oaks.

Thanks, Jim. I'm not real happy with the ending. Not as smooth as I'd like it to be, but I am thrilled that you like the production. I tend to add in way too much music at first and then start cutting/editing. Very happy those fiddles worked out. Along the way I sent several versions of this mix to the gals for feedback and suggestions. They really helped me dial it in.

Originally Posted By: JosieC
Hi Scotty
Love it! Especially that low "echo" backing vocal. Was that you? Loved the line "I've got steel in my courage". Will try to tune in to a show on SJ so I can hear this one live. Good job.///

Thanks, Josie. Yeah, that's me. I'm a baritone/bass most of the time. The idea for steel and courage came from all of the heavy industry here focused on oil rigs and shipbuilding. Thanks for the listen:)
Posted By: olemon Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/27/15 11:13 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
This is awesome, like a cool breeze on a hot summer night! Polished and professional all the way.

Thank you, David. Appreciate the listen and your comments.

Originally Posted By: big741
It's pretty much all been said.

Outstanding work!

Thanks for the music,
Dan

Glad you liked the song, Dan. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Sundance
Sounds great Scott. Those harmonies are terrific with your voice. And love the live feel of it.

We almost moved near there when my honey was hosting a show on KPEL many moons ago.

KPEL? Sounds familiar. I'll have to check that out. I was trying to give it that 'front porch' feel. I'm happy that came through and I thank you for saying that:)

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Scott, Nicely written and very well sung. Fantastic vocals. Love the little baritone part In the chorus. The fiddle gives it the Cajun feel that you were looking for. Very nicely done and looking for more from you and the girls. Good job! Tom

Thanks, Tom. I added that baritone after the fact. I just felt the bg vocals needed a little bass to anchor them and it seemed to work out. I am passing on your compliments to the ladies. We took our time editing those fiddles hoping we captured the genre. We all get busy, but I hope to record more songs with them soon! I'm mixing that Cajun waltz now, it was one of the first BiaB tunes I posted here. I'm having trouble though...may have to re-record some vocal parts:(

Originally Posted By: MarioD
It's all been said!

Coming from upper western New York State I for sure ain't no Cajun but I do love that toe tapping happy music. This was one of those songs!

Great job!

Music to my ears, Mario, because 'toe tapping happy' was the goal. Thanks for listening.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Like everyone else - excellent loved the harmonies.

Thank you so much, Peter:)
Posted By: RichMac Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/28/15 06:31 PM
Much enjoyed Scott.
Made me feel right at home somehow.
Great job on everything.
Brings to mind the grand old opry. Cheers.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/29/15 12:03 AM
Hi Scott ...

Everyone has said everything we thought as we listened and then reflected after the song. It has a comfortable, relaxing atmosphere and grabs the listener and takes him/her to the bayou. A movie played in my mind as I listened. Di said the same thing.

Great stuff ... totally loved it! Best to you ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/29/15 12:40 PM
Great song, love the feel and the harmonies.

Kenny
Posted By: semar Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 07/29/15 04:54 PM
Hey Olemon,
I did like the song, expecially the background vocals, really good ! The drums, in my opinion, is not enough 'country-ish' and also I would had enjoyed a banjo solo, but the song as-it-is is rather enjoyable !

Happy music,
Sergio
Posted By: olemon Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 08/01/15 11:45 AM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Much enjoyed Scott.
Made me feel right at home somehow.
Great job on everything.
Brings to mind the grand old opry. Cheers.

Thanks for the listen, sir! Appreciate those comments.

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Scott ...

Everyone has said everything we thought as we listened and then reflected after the song. It has a comfortable, relaxing atmosphere and grabs the listener and takes him/her to the bayou. A movie played in my mind as I listened. Di said the same thing.

Great stuff ... totally loved it! Best to you ...

Alan & Di

How nice to see you two! I haven't been present here all that much lately. Hope things are going your way:)

It's a simple song/story. I'm very happy it transported and relaxed you.
Posted By: olemon Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 08/09/15 10:22 AM
Originally Posted By: 44Aceman
Great song, love the feel and the harmonies.

Kenny

Originally Posted By: semar
Hey Olemon,
I did like the song, expecially the background vocals, really good ! The drums, in my opinion, is not enough 'country-ish' and also I would had enjoyed a banjo solo, but the song as-it-is is rather enjoyable !

Happy music,
Sergio

Kenny, Sergio,

Thanks for the listens and your comments.
Posted By: gruverider Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 08/10/15 05:22 PM
So glad that I didn't miss this one! Great song and wonderful vocals all around. It made me wish I was in the studio when you guys were laying down the vocals.

My fathers folks are from around Opelousas and the surrounding areas. They all spoke Cajun French. But I never did.

Great song!
Posted By: olemon Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 08/15/15 11:33 AM
Originally Posted By: gruverider
So glad that I didn't miss this one! Great song and wonderful vocals all around. It made me wish I was in the studio when you guys were laying down the vocals.

My fathers folks are from around Opelousas and the surrounding areas. They all spoke Cajun French. But I never did.

Great song!

Thank you man! Glad you enjoyed it.

The studio: a spare room with not a lot of space. We practiced in the kitchen and then tracked the vocals one at a time. It was a new experience for me and for the gals. We recorded another tune also, but it needs a do-over.

I know Opelousas. I really like that part of the state, just north of Lafayette.

Thanks again for the listen, Lawrence:)
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 08/16/15 08:25 AM
Cool song.

You got nice clean vocals and the instruments sound good too..... in other words, Nice mix.

Style fit perfectly.
Posted By: olemon Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 08/20/15 09:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Cool song.

You got nice clean vocals and the instruments sound good too..... in other words, Nice mix.

Style fit perfectly.

Thank you, Herb. Means a lot.

I keep forgetting to mention that I used an SM57 for all of the vocals. My room is untreated and noisy, and while my earlier recordings were all done with a condenser mic, I thought I'd try a dynamic mic and see if I could tame the room.

I liked the way my vocal turned out, so when the ladies sang I used the same mic.
Posted By: F.M. Beam Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 01/29/17 01:22 AM
Scotty, Love this with the mix behind it. Just adds to a wonderful song. Frank
Posted By: Scott C Re: Bayou In My Blood (A new-old song) - 01/29/17 08:52 AM
I missed this one. Excellent . loved the vocal and lyric
© PG Music Forums