PG Music Home
Posted By: PeterF Hard Hearted Woman - 07/23/15 05:33 AM
Another acoustic number in a similar vein to the first one.
Hope you like the lyrics...

https://soundcloud.com/peterf1957/hard-hearted-woman

RealTracks in song: ~528:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Hank Sw 120
RealTracks in song: ~372:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Hank Sw 120
RealDrums NashvilleSwing8^6-a:Snare, OpenHat , b:Sidestick, HiHat

Plus additional guitars & vocals.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Hard Hearted Woman - 07/23/15 09:20 AM
I like everything about it. It's the perfect song for me to wake up while sipping my coffee.

Excellent job. Good harmonies, good story and I a really nice melody.

Thanks for posting. Looking for more from you soon. Your songs are hitting the mark with me.

Charlie
Posted By: boehm Re: Hard Hearted Woman - 07/23/15 08:33 PM
Hi Peter,

another nice one. I'd like to see the lyrics
printed. Please try not to have more than one song
on the first page of the showcase.
Enjoyable listen.

Guenter
Posted By: PeterF Re: Hard Hearted Woman - 07/23/15 09:37 PM
Thanks - was wondering how long to wait before posting a song.

Lyrics (couldn't find soft copy so I'll type them here)

It was late in the evening, I was tired and emotional, asked her if I could stay
She said I'm sorry , but I want to be by myself, please won't you be on your way
I want to sleep, snug in my little bed, keeping my own company
I know that you're drunk and it's started to rain, but I really must ask you to leave

Oh hard hearted woman
Don't send me away
You won't know that I'm here
C'mon please let me stay
I'll Sleep In the bath tub
I'm tired to the bone
Creep out come the morning
You won't hear me go
(No you won't hear me go)

Well she opened the door and the look in her eyes said I'm not in the mood for a fight
So I gathered my dignity, at least what was left of it and stumbled out into the night
It seemed at that moment it all was too much, Dickensian tragedy loomed
The rain it was chilling me, soon might be killing me, sodden, befuddled and doomed

Chorus.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Hard Hearted Woman - 07/23/15 11:24 PM
That's a fun listen, Peter...

Don't kick me out. I just want to sleep (in the tub)... That's a funny premise for a song...

Adding your acoustic leads is a nice touch - they had a "Pure Prarie League feel" to them... nice... A good, full sound with a small grouping of instruments..

Entertaining.

floyd
Posted By: dcuny Re: Hard Hearted Woman - 07/24/15 03:03 AM
Nice choice of words - Dickensian tragedy loomed certainly isn't a run-of-the-mill lyric!

The guitar solos were icing on the cake.
Posted By: RichMac Re: Hard Hearted Woman - 07/24/15 03:47 AM
Enjoyed this a lot. A little bit strange and wonderful.
Like the bathtub and sodden, befuddled and doomed amongst other interesting lyrics and the great guitar outro.
Cheers.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Hard Hearted Woman - 07/24/15 05:24 PM
Another very nice tune!! The chorus is very catchy. There is a 60's feel to it (I love the 60's), kind of like Kingston Trio. I would process your vocal a little straighter (less phasing/chorus or whatever fx you have). Enjoyed it much!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: MarioD Re: Hard Hearted Woman - 07/24/15 07:01 PM
SUPER!

Great vocals (I liked the effects on them), great backing tracks, super guitar leads and those lyrics, WOW, just super.

I really like this one!
Posted By: PeterF Re: Hard Hearted Woman - 07/24/15 07:52 PM
Thanks for the comments - my friend (the singer) writes the lyrics (I think he should have been a writer).
It can be a challenge with the phrasing as he often likes to tell a story. I think the next one I'll put up in a couple of days will be the interestingly titled "I'm Not Dead Yet".
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Hard Hearted Woman - 07/25/15 03:41 AM
The harmonies remind me of the Beatles; nice write and performance; thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Hard Hearted Woman - 07/25/15 03:47 AM
Hi Peter,

I'm a fan of what you've created! This is great. You've got the lyrics sitting really, really well with the music. Comedy and pathos seemed to walk hand in hand in these words; terrific writing both musically and lyrically. I also liked the harmony voices you used (especially that low one).

My favourite line was "The rain it was chilling me, soon might be killing me, sodden, befuddled and doomed "

Enjoyed it a lot.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: olemon Re: Hard Hearted Woman - 07/25/15 10:05 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Another very nice tune!! The chorus is very catchy. There is a 60's feel to it (I love the 60's), kind of like Kingston Trio. I would process your vocal a little straighter (less phasing/chorus or whatever fx you have). Enjoyed it much!! Take care. Greg

Greg said it well.

I really like the chorus too!
Posted By: tommyad Re: Hard Hearted Woman - 07/25/15 11:18 AM
Peter, this is really catchy. The backing instruments are balanced just right. I have to disagree with Mario. I did not like the processing on the lead vocal. Your voice is too good to add all the extra effects. Just my opinion. Great playing and I really like the song. Tom
Posted By: big741 Re: Hard Hearted Woman - 07/25/15 12:30 PM
This is a cool little tune, to be sure.

Thoroughly enjoyable.

Thanks for the music,
Dan
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Hard Hearted Woman - 07/25/15 05:36 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Peter, this is really catchy. The backing instruments are balanced just right. I have to disagree with Mario. I did not like the processing on the lead vocal. Your voice is too good to add all the extra effects. Just my opinion. Great playing and I really like the song. Tom

Plus 2 on all of the above. And like floyd said it is a very cool blend of RT's with additional tracks. Fine mix.

We enjoyed our listen!

J&B
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Hard Hearted Woman - 07/25/15 11:03 PM
This is such an interesting song. I could think of several artists of different genres doing this. It takes me way back. Thanks, Torrey.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Hard Hearted Woman - 07/26/15 05:45 AM
Thanks for all the nice comments.
Interesting too the effect issue with the vocal - I copied the vocal track & panned both slightly off centre one is lower in the mix it leading to a bit of an unintentional(or if you liked it an intentional) phasing issue.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Hard Hearted Woman - 07/26/15 06:03 AM
Peter,

For what it's worth, when I want to get copied vocal tracks working co-operatively and constructively, I always time-shift one of them by 10 - 15 milliseconds (ms). It doesn't matter whether it's to the left or to the right. Also, I usually lower the pitch of one of the tracks by 5 - 10 cents. These changes introduce enough difference so that the doubling works. I mention this approach just in case you haven't tried it before.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: PeterF Re: Hard Hearted Woman - 07/26/15 07:29 AM
Noel,
Thanks for the tip.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Hard Hearted Woman - 07/27/15 06:17 PM
Hello Peter,

Good work!
Very effective choice of RTs on this, nice vocals too.
Original lyrics.

Rob and Anne-Marie
© PG Music Forums