PG Music Home
Posted By: Rick Hansen Long time gone - 07/24/15 09:48 PM
Life got in the way for a long while but I'm back in the my home studio with BIB.I wanted to do something with "the 4 chords" just to get back in the swing of things so this devoloped out of that.

The level of production of the material here has jumped up quite a few notches while I was gone. Man there is some A+ stuff just in the dozen or so that I previewed. Can't help but be inspired to create new and different stuff.

Anyway, this ones called "Doin' It Our Way"
https://soundcloud.com/mothers-bad-son/doin-it-our-way

Uplift.sty Praise&&Worship uplifting

Piano 1277: Piano Acouistic,Rythm PopupliftA-B Ev16 120
Drums Real Drums=Praise worshipuptempo16 HK4, R24
1667 Guitar Acoustic, Fingerpicking Country Brent EV 120
406: Guitar,Acoustic,Strumming EV 136

Live instruments:
Bass
Keyboards
Elect. Guitar

Tracked and mixed in Cubase 6
26 tracks

Doin' It Our Way

We've been together thru thick and thin
We've faced the good and bad, and everything in between
We've seen stormy weather that seemed to never end
Thru it all we stood together like two oaks against the wind

And I'm so glad we made it, and we're both still standing strong
Good times come and go, and bad times never stay
Right or wrong it's just been us
Doin' it our way

Now, I'm not complaining 'bout all that we been thru
Every day I thank my lucky stars I found you
I know there's a reason for all that we've had to do
All the times that we were broken
And the times that we were really cool

Now, time keeps on moving like a river to the sea
We're both a little older but it's still just you and me
With promises unbroken and dreams not yet seen
We'll face the future and whatever it will bring
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Long time gone - 07/25/15 03:40 AM
Like your vocal on this; fits the song so well; Good write; thanks for sharing!
Posted By: ROG Re: Long time gone - 07/25/15 06:32 AM
Hi Rickey.

A good driving sound going on here and basically a good song.

Your voice seems to grow in confidence as the song progresses and could possibly use a little compression to stop it get lost in the mix from time to time. Also, some of the stops are a bit sudden, as though the sound has just dropped out.

Other than that, the song has a really good feel to it and I played it several times.

Nice to see you posting again.

ROG.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Long time gone - 07/25/15 08:02 AM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Rickey.

Your voice seems to grow in confidence as the song progresses and could possibly use a little compression to stop it get lost in the mix from time to time. Also, some of the stops are a bit sudden, as though the sound has just dropped out.

Other than that, the song has a really good feel to it and I played it several times.

ROG.

rickey - ROG pretty much said all things I thought... so +1 to that... fj
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Long time gone - 07/25/15 08:18 AM
Hi Rickey,

It's good to see you again.

My impression is that you've put a great deal of thought into this song and its arrangement. It's a very engaging musical feel you have happening. I also like the rich texture that the backing has. If you decide to revisit the mix at any stage, I think that ROG has given some good advice that would help take it to the next level or two.

Welcome back!
Noel

Posted By: olemon Re: Long time gone - 07/25/15 09:08 AM
Those breaks are really clean. Nice. A drum shot might work here and there if you're so inclined.

Good song and vocal performance, just needs a few tweaks to let it shine:)
Posted By: tommyad Re: Long time gone - 07/25/15 11:01 AM
Originally Posted By: PgFantastic
Like your vocal on this; fits the song so well; Good write; thanks for sharing!
+1. I enjoyed the listen. Welcome back, Tom
Posted By: big741 Re: Long time gone - 07/25/15 12:15 PM
Great tune and performance(s), rickey. I would have liked the vocal a teeny bit louder, but that in no way takes away from what you've done on this tune.

Thanks for the music,
Dan
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Long time gone - 07/25/15 02:17 PM
I agree with the others. Really nice song!! Breaks are strange-just sounds like the signal drops out. Thanks for posting. Very much enjoyed!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: MarioD Re: Long time gone - 07/25/15 03:29 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Rickey.

ROG.

I agree. This is a very good song but these suggestions would put it over the top IMHO!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Long time gone - 07/25/15 06:09 PM
Welcome back. Like other posters have said there's little if
anything to add to ROG's comments.

We both enjoyed our listen!

J&B
Posted By: Rick Hansen Re: Long time gone - 07/25/15 07:00 PM
You all hit the nail right on the head. Vocals are taking a while to come back even after 25 takes LOL. I had them louder then backed them off cause I'm not happy with them yet. Thanks for all the input, sugestions and love. I hope it wont take another 14 months to print something else but I have a feeling it wont as I have already written "Hard Times (for the working man)" and its next in line for BIB. Great to be back and thanks again for the input everyone.
Rick
Posted By: Sundance Re: Long time gone - 07/27/15 01:04 AM
I like the song a lot Rickey. It's got a really nice feel good melody/lyrics - that kind of song is harder to write and pull off. The arrangement (with some easy tweaks added) supports the feel good emotion.

Welcome back.
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Long time gone - 07/27/15 08:47 AM
Hi Rickey,

Like everyone has said good song. I like the lyrics.

I could envision this in several styles.

Keep up the good work.
I also liked "It's A Hard Time"

Cheers,

Billy
Posted By: Rick Hansen Re: Long time gone - 07/27/15 12:25 PM
Thanks, "Hard Time" is still on the drawing board because that is a backing track behind my guitars and keyboards. I almost never use them but I had so much fun with that song I recorded with it (I'm 100% sure the track is royalty free). I'm working to make it a BIB tune and claim total ownership of it as soon as I do I will post it here because I really, really love that tune. I haven't found the right mix of instruments and styles in BIB yet but I know there in there somewhere! BTW I bumped the vocals on "Doin' It Our Way" still not real happy with them but at least they sit in the mix now. Thanks for the kind words.
Rick
© PG Music Forums