PG Music Home
Posted By: Greg Johnson NEW SONG POST: The Lighthouse Keeper - 07/26/15 10:32 PM
Hello forum friends. I have always loved water, particularly the ocean. I particularly love the northern California coast-many parts are absolutely beautiful. For Spring break of '14, my Family and I stayed in Point Arena in Mendocino county. That was the trip during which I wrote the lyrics to Real Good Time. We stayed at a place about 2 miles from the Point Arena lighthouse which is featured in the film FOREVER YOUNG with Mel Gibson, and NEED FOR SPEED. The latter was playing in the theater 50 miles north of there and we watched it during the trip. That was a cool experience to come back there after the film and connect the lighthouse to the climactic scene of the film (the film is very so-so). We also took the tour of the lighthouse and heard about the duties of the keepers. I was always intrigued by lighthouses, beacons in the night maintained by solitary men. It was this intrigue that motivated me to write this song. Hope you enjoy it! Comments much encouraged. Take care. Greg

THE LIGHTHOUSE KEEPER

Say a prayer for the lighthouse keeper
His loneliness is getting deeper
Pale light reaching into the distance
For some confirmation of existence
And his grey eyes are growin’ old

He learned his craft from his dad
Still laughs and cries over talks they had
High seas tales and pirates’ treasures
Noble lads and earthly pleasures
But now, the winds blow cold

He spends his days now in a fog
Nights are without end
Making entries in his log
Of visits from imaginary friends

Sand and lonely lighthouse keeper
Had a love once, couldn’t keep her
She blew in one day off the ocean
He stayed put, she stayed in motion
Like the tide, came and went

In a few more years now, he’ll be gone
No need to pass his knowledge on
His humanity is antiquated
His successor will be automated

He’ll be laid to rest for eternity
On a little hill above the sea
Next to his beloved father
Two lighthouse ghosts will scan the water
For the ghosts sailing by

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/lighthouse
Posted By: Sundance Re: NEW SONG POST: The Lighthouse Keeper - 07/27/15 12:17 AM
Greg,

What a great sounding production/arrangement and the lyrics are a wonderfully crafted visual and emotional story. I love lighthouses too, there's such a mystic about them and you can't help but let your mind wander to what it was like when a real human had to climb all those stairs. It never occurred to me to write a song about it. Kudos!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: NEW SONG POST: The Lighthouse Keeper - 07/27/15 10:24 AM
Man, Greg! This is SO very good. In all regards.

A beautiful write - beginning to end. Paints a perfect picture... Such elegant language...and yet, conversational. Songwriting at the highest level.

The melody is gorgeous.

The production/arrangement is excellent. Reminds me of Springsteen's "Meeting Across The River" (one of my all-time favorites).

Beautiful vocal. Good mix.

"Sad and lonely lighthouse keeper
Like the tide, came and went"

It does not get better than that.

(I read "The Light Between Oceans" not long ago... this captured those images perfectly)

I'm a fan (don't I sound like a blubbering one?...)

floyd

Posted By: olemon Re: NEW SONG POST: The Lighthouse Keeper - 07/27/15 10:57 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Man, Greg! This is SO very good. In all regards.

A beautiful write - beginning to end. Paints a perfect picture... Such elegant language...and yet, conversational. Songwriting at the highest level.

The melody is gorgeous.

The production/arrangement is excellent.

Beautiful vocal. Good mix.

"Sad and lonely lighthouse keeper

It does not get better than that.

Greg,

I'm shamelessly stealing from Floyd, because he said it far better than I ever could.

And boy, did you ever send me down Memory Lane. My wife is from N. California. We met while I was stationed in Eureka. We're going back this fall on an anniversary tour.

And having sailed those west coast waters for several years - I spent many a watch taking bearings to Pt Arena Lt. I still remember the chart numbers. Here's a link to one of them you might find interesting. Take care.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18640.shtml
Posted By: boehm Re: NEW SONG POST: The Lighthouse Keeper - 07/27/15 12:54 PM
Hi Greg,

just very beautiful in all aspects. The sax solo
seems to be made exactly for this song.
I'm not touched by songs very often. This is
an exception.

Guenter
Posted By: RnAM Re: NEW SONG POST: The Lighthouse Keeper - 07/27/15 06:09 PM
Hi Greg,

Very relaxed song! Nice piano, which RT is it?
Nice lyrics too.
Lots of lighthouses here in Holland, so this might as well have been a Dutch song wink

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: RichMac Re: NEW SONG POST: The Lighthouse Keeper - 07/27/15 07:32 PM
Very nice one Greg! Love the subtlety of the lyrics vocal and backing.

Confirmation of existence
Noble lads and earthly pleasures
visits from imaginary friends
humanity is antiquated

Just a few of the delicious tidbits.
Leaves me feeling mellow. Cheers.
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: NEW SONG POST: The Lighthouse Keeper - 07/27/15 08:32 PM
Beautiful song.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Has a Barry Manillow feel/sound to my ears.
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: NEW SONG POST: The Lighthouse Keeper - 07/27/15 10:17 PM
Great write and performance; thanks for sharing!
Very nice work..... out of the box in one way and in the box in the other.

Your lyrics are fantabulous!
Posted By: big741 Re: NEW SONG POST: The Lighthouse Keeper - 07/27/15 10:52 PM
My, but that's a pretty tune.

Well done!

Thanks for the music,
Dan
floyd already quoted it but wow!!

"Sand and lonely lighthouse keeper

I see no reason to try and parse out
everything that is so good about this.
Both of us had rather just kick back
and enjoy it all again.

As an aspiring writer I am humbled.

Thanks for this addition to our SC
playlist!

J&B
Simply superb in every aspect Greg. Beautiful song, performance and production.

Charlie
Posted By: Al-David Re: NEW SONG POST: The Lighthouse Keeper - 07/29/15 12:07 AM
Hi Greg ...

what a lovely song! This is sweet yet poignant ... and so enjoyable. We loved everything about this. Simply put .. a wonderful musical project from beginning to end. This is a great example when the sum of the parts makes the whole as good as it can be. We loved it!

Alan & Di
Posted By: tommyad Re: NEW SONG POST: The Lighthouse Keeper - 07/29/15 09:13 AM
Greg, I spent the last week camped on the beach in the Fl Keys staring directly at the Tennessee Reef lighthouse. This is the only unmanned lighthouse in the Florida Keys that still has a lantern and it has a Fresnel lens. It is still in operation today. Also walked past the Key West lighthouse across from Hemingway's house. Since I had the visuals to go along with the song it made listening extra special. This is very well written, produced and sung. A touchingly beautiful lyrical and mood piece. Glad to see you toned down the brightness on the vocal. It is perfect. The melody at times is reminiscent of something that I just can't put my finger on. Really great work and a gentle reminder of better days gone past. Top notch all the way! Tom
Posted By: 44kfl Re: NEW SONG POST: The Lighthouse Keeper - 07/29/15 12:32 PM
Beautiful melody and song, love the easy flow, love the piano and sax. Well written, made me think of Brian Wilson. I'd like to know if that's a piano real track or super midi also, wherever it comes from it's very nice.

Kenny
Thanks so much Josie!! I always look for you feedback and it was a nice treat to see you first to post. Really dig you Rhino song! Take care. Greg
Thanks for the wonderful review Floyd! It means a great deal to me. You are truly a Zen master songwriter. I truly treasure your kind words (and your song posts)! Take care. Greg
Thanks for the nice reply Scott! I checked out your link. Never seen a map like that. Very cool! You've been doing some really excellent stuff lately. Always look forward to hearing more. Take care. Greg
"I'm not touched by songs very often. This is
an exception."

Guenter, this is truly one of the greatest compliments I've ever received. That's why I write-to try to touch people's emotions. Great to know that I occasionally succeed. Absolutely love your remixes. Every one is so much better than the originals. You are truly creative!! Take care. Greg
Hello,

great song.
very melodic sound and great voice.

Hello.
Thanks so much for the kind words R and AM. Yes, that is the Liverpool piano RT. I use it a lot. Great for ballads. Dig the sound of your new one! Take care. Greg
Thanks so much Richmac! Your comments really mean a lot to me. I know you're a lyric guy, and making an impression on you with lyrics is an honor. Thanks so much for your support! Take care. Greg
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: NEW SONG POST: The Lighthouse Keeper - 08/03/15 07:42 AM
Greg

Another Masterpiece.
Beautifully constructed lyrics
Sensational melody and timing with haunting overtones, perfect Sax fills.
Really enjoyed. Thanks for this.

Trevor
Thanks for the kind words Muzic Trax! Really appreciate you taking time to listen and comment. I've always loved the piano/vocal ballads. Take care. Greg
Thanks so much for the nice words Robert! Always enjoy hearing your posts! Take care. Greg
Thanks so much for the nice response Herb! You frequently say nice things about my lyrics and I appreciate that hugely. I know you listen with great attention. I love lyrics and it means a lot to me that they speak to you. Take care. Greg
Thanks so much for the positive feedback Dan. Love the way you play that sax!! You would have probably had fun with a solo in this song. Take care. Greg
Thanks J and B!! And thanks for reposting-that's extremely flattering and very much appreciated. Really dig your new one with FJ. Awesome!! Take care. Greg
Thanks Charlie for the extremely kind words! Means a lot to me. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Curt Young Re: NEW SONG POST: The Lighthouse Keeper - 08/11/15 09:53 PM
Greg,

I love story songs, and this is a good one.

I believe it's been said, but these lines are super:

"She blew in one day off the ocean
Like the tide, came and went."

Great tune.
Posted By: gruverider Re: NEW SONG POST: The Lighthouse Keeper - 08/12/15 11:57 PM
What a wonderful composition! and I love the "Band" - piano, bass, strings, sax!

A great song!
THanks so much Al. Glad to see you guys back around. Hang in there! Take care. Greg
Thanks Tom! I think Floyd cured me of my treble addiction. Appreciate the listen and nice comments. Take care. Greg
Thanks Kenny! I'm really digging your stuff. Lot of great songs you've posted lately. You've got a gift for creating life with your lyrics. Take care. Greg
THanks Trevor. That's very high praise and I really appreciate it. Thanks so much for your consistent support. Means a lot to me. Take care. Greg
THanks Curt. Very nice compliments and much appreciated! Take care. Greg
Thanks Lawrence. Love having you around so much lately. Your song I listened to today blew my mind! Take care. Greg
Posted By: PeterF Re: NEW SONG POST: The Lighthouse Keeper - 08/30/15 02:59 AM
Just caught up with this one. Probably all been said - just as impressed as the rest....
Thanks so much Peter. Enjoying your posts lately! Keep 'em coming. Take care. Greg
Posted By: mwgilbert Re: NEW SONG POST: The Lighthouse Keeper - 08/30/15 09:32 PM
Great arrangement and a very moving song. The simple but very effective production just lets the song be the song. Your lyrics are poetic and I can feel the shore, and the breeze off the ocean, in your music.

One of the pluses of the forum is that when someone writes a comment on one of my tracks it gives me the impetus to go here something they have recorded, which often leads to good listening - it did in this case!
Posted By: dcuny Re: NEW SONG POST: The Lighthouse Keeper - 08/31/15 01:43 AM
Wow - I missed this one the first time around, so I'm glad I got to hear it on the rebound.

It all sounds fantastic, but I especially liked the strings.
Posted By: gibson Re: NEW SONG POST: The Lighthouse Keeper - 09/02/15 02:16 AM
Greg,

I missed commenting on this beautiful song and have to say what a beautiful, beautiful song.

Thanks for the back-story, makes it all so real

take care

Alyn
© PG Music Forums