PG Music Home
Posted By: Planobilly Easy Bossa Nova - 08/11/15 12:30 AM
Hi,

My vocalist is MIA so I have been experimenting with other styles of music that exist in BB.

I played this chord structure on my piano...just messing around with nothing really in mind. Then I put the chords in BB. Nothing but Real Tracks and no mixing or anything. Just like it came out of the box so to speak.

These jazz styles are super easy to come up with something that sounds good.

https://soundcloud.com/planobillydfw/a-short-jazzy-ideawav

****** Song Summary *************
Title: A Small Jazzy Idea
File:A Small Jazzy Idea.SGU
Key=Bb , Tempo 140, Length (m:s)=1:01
No intro. 32 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 32. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _BOSSAGT.STY (Bossa Guitar Trio Ev (70-190))

RealTracks in style: ~464:Bass, Acoustic, Bossa Ev 140
RealTracks in song: ~1662:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm BossaNY Ev 140
RealTracks in style: ~467:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Bossa Ev 140
RealTracks in song: 706:Guitar, Electric, Soloist Bossa Ev 140
RealDrums in style: BossaTerryClarke^2-a:Brushes , b:Blastix

I also discovered it is less trouble to change a chord here an there than regenerate over and over to get some measure to sound OK. I originally had played a Db on my piano but BB did not like that too much so I changed it to D major which kept everything in key anyway. Perhaps a better idea to begin with. Also had to end in C major to get the auto ending to sound right. Not sure why BB would not make an auto ending in C13 for example

Cool software!!

Cheers,

Billy
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Easy Bossa Nova - 08/11/15 03:35 PM
Nice, easy listening tune. Sounds like a BB demo tune PGMusic makes up for their RealTrack videos. I enjoyed this one.

Charlie
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Easy Bossa Nova - 08/11/15 05:05 PM
Nice little groove!! Pleasant listen! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Easy Bossa Nova - 08/11/15 08:56 PM
Thanks Greg,

I am still very much in the experimental stage of learning how to use BB. I am trying out different styles of music, not so much because I am attracted to a style but just to see what BB will do.

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the kind words. I guess this is sort of a demo tune. I am sure the people who do demos for BB have much greater skill sets than I do and come up with better tunes.

I used the Bossa style because it gave me the chance to experiment with a little more complex chord forms, major7 #11 for example to see how the solos would follow those chords.

I have a hard rock tune finished except for the vocals and a Reggae tune I am finishing up in this experimental stage of the learning curve using BB.

I think I will soon come to the point I know what I can use BB for.

Cheers,

Billy
Posted By: gruverider Re: Easy Bossa Nova - 08/12/15 11:42 PM
I just love this style thanks for sharing.

And your comments about your experience with chords and keys and sound were insightful and much appreciated.
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Easy Bossa Nova - 08/13/15 04:36 PM
Thanks for the comments gruverider.

I like Latin style music and have done a Rhumba version of "She Caught The Katy" by Taj Mahal.

I wish I could post it here but PG Music does not want any covers posted.The record is for sale and we obviously have permission from the label to sell it but....OH well

Cheers,

Billy
Posted By: boehm Re: Easy Bossa Nova - 08/14/15 10:45 AM
Hi Billy,

very nice, easy listening tune.
Could have been longer. I enjoyed my listen.
I didn't understand that bit about your vocalist.

Guenter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Easy Bossa Nova - 08/14/15 12:40 PM
Now that was a cool little groove. Ahhhh...the wonders
of BiaB. Amazing that this didn't require multiple
regens.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Easy Bossa Nova - 08/14/15 12:49 PM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Billy,

very nice, easy listening tune.
Could have been longer. I enjoyed my listen.
I didn't understand that bit about your vocalist.

Guenter

Thanks Guenter,

I have a friend who is a good vocalist but very busy. We have been working on three other songs using BB but he has not had the time to finish them yet. "MIA" missing in action...lol

Cheers,

Billy
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Easy Bossa Nova - 08/14/15 01:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Now that was a cool little groove. Ahhhh...the wonders
of BiaB. Amazing that this didn't require multiple
regens.

Enjoyed it!

J&B

Thanks Janice and Bud for you comments.

I think something like this would generally require multiple regens. I did not have a very defined idea in mind as I was writing the chord progression. This gave me the option to invert chords or change chords which caused BB to play out better sounding stuff.

What I am finding in general is that BB will do a better job when I use a very standard arrangement. What I mean is that I keep things in Key, use Real Tracks very near the original BPM and for the most part use common standard music theory concepts.

You have such super vocals that Bud must really have to work hard to to keep up with you...

Cheers,

Billy
Posted By: mwgilbert Re: Easy Bossa Nova - 08/16/15 10:01 PM
I enjoyed listening to this tune. As others have said as well, nice smooth groove, and the instruments worked well together. Perhaps an additional soloist instrument to stretch out a bit. You got the genre down, though.

-MWG
Posted By: dcuny Re: Easy Bossa Nova - 08/16/15 10:11 PM
BiaB really does some sweet latin-style music!
© PG Music Forums