PG Music Home
Posted By: gibson See you next time - 08/17/15 01:33 AM
A song for the boss barrista in my morning coffee shop I call "ginge" real name Lucy
An attractive 23 year old with auburn hair but I call her ginge because she greets me with comments like "look what the cat dragged in" calling me "her little dumpling" "tubs" and other insulting nicknames! She makes a great medium italian black coffee and our banter makes the few minutes we talk a day great fun. I almost enjoy paying, well almost grin

Somehow the conversation got round to me writing songs and she bet me that I couldn't write one for her. So this is it, I did the BIAB bit before my medical incident and the vocals last night and shall play it to her today. Altho' I will sadly have a decaf coffee *eugh* but needs must now cry

See you next time

I hate saying goodbye to you
see you next time is all I can say
cos the next time you're in my mind
is very next second of the day

those few moments that I have with you are enjoyable in the extreme
I pinch myself just to make sure that I'm not in a dream

you know the route to my heart
all it takes is your winning smile
and that's a very good start

SOLO

those few moments I have with you are enjoyable in the extreme
I pinch myself just to make sure that I'm not in a dream

cos the next time you're in my mind
is very next second of the day

those few moments I have with you are enjoyable to the extreme
I pinch myself just to make sure that I'm not, I'm not, I'm not in a dream

RealTracks in song: ~481:Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Ballad Sw 085
RealTracks in song: 2167:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Country12-8John Sw 065
RealTracks in song: ~530:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Hank Sw 085
RealTracks in song: 2456:Cello, Background, PopSwing Sw 110 (1TrackStringQuartet)
RealTracks in song: ~490:Sax, Alto, Jazz Ballad Sw 085
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2245:Piano, Soloist Country12-8John Sw 065 using a Steinway Soundfont and adjusted a bit
RealDrums in Song: Nashville128^01-a:SideStick, b:Ride
me on "marry me now" (err what a name!) organ from phenome free VSTi
vocals Rode NT2

enjoy

Alyn
Posted By: ROG Re: See you next time - 08/17/15 04:51 AM
Hey Alyn.

Good to see you back in the list.

Loved the song and I'm sure I'd love "Ginge" too.

Sounds like Alyn guesting with the Stan Kenton band. Always original, always very listenable.

Stay safe, ROG.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: See you next time - 08/17/15 10:41 AM
Good tune Alyn. If someone can get you to write and sing a song, I take that as a hopeful sign you are feeling a bit better.

There's a lot to like about this song and I think you've done a particular good job with the lyrics.

Enjoyed my listen.

Charlie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: See you next time - 08/17/15 11:24 AM
"those few moments I have with you are enjoyable in the extreme"

I think that may be how we all think of you, Alyn!!!
(love that line)

This made me think of Gilbert O'Sullivan - which I haven't done in eons...

There is much joy in this.

floyd
Posted By: gibson Re: See you next time - 08/17/15 01:08 PM
ROG,
Thanks for the welcome
ginge is a wonderful pain in the butt, but I don't think I could take her for too long, perfect in her job.

Hmmm Stan Kenton orchestra, Thank you

All the best

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: See you next time - 08/17/15 01:11 PM
Thanks Charlie, I sat in front of the computer like a lump of lard and forced myself to sing and boy did I feel better afterwards.

The lyrics were hard as I wanted to say thank you but the looks from both, when my son met her, gave me a theme to work on LOL

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: See you next time - 08/17/15 01:16 PM
floyd,

thank you for the "I think that may be how we all think of you, Alyn!!! "
Gilbert O'Sullivan...hadn't thought of him in ages also, what a comparison, thank you again!

Glad you enjoyed, she thought it was a wonderful song and I got a free coffee *RESULT* grin

Alyn
Posted By: boehm Re: See you next time - 08/17/15 01:33 PM
Hi Alyn,

Floyd is right with his Gilbert O'Sullivan
comparison. Very enjoyable song.
Thanks for the entertaining background story.

Guenter
Posted By: RnAM Re: See you next time - 08/17/15 06:03 PM
Hi Alyn,

What a nice story laugh
What did she say?
We like the arrangement very much and the way you sing it, must definitely brighten her day! wink

We'll make sure to check out the free organ vsti.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: dcuny Re: See you next time - 08/17/15 11:48 PM
I always look forward to listening to your songs, and as usual, you didn't disappoint.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: See you next time - 08/18/15 12:39 PM
Thanks for your fertile mind that can
turn your barista encounter into such
an engaging tune. That is a gift I wish
I had.

Janice and I much enjoyed this latest
chapter in your cool output.

Thanks!

J&B
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: See you next time - 08/18/15 05:26 PM
Hello Alyn,

I really like your song.
very good work.

I enjoyed it a lot.

Hello and ... greetings to Lucy too.
Posted By: Curt Young Re: See you next time - 08/18/15 08:45 PM
Alyn,
A really neat composition. Very enjoyable!
Posted By: gibson Re: See you next time - 08/19/15 12:15 PM
Guenter,
Thanks for listening.
I always like to give the story behind my songs, if one exists, just to make my memory a bit more real.

Glad you enjoyed the listen

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: See you next time - 08/19/15 12:26 PM
Rob and Anne Marie,

She said that she was born in the wrong era for music and for once was lost for words and I got a free coffee laugh

Phenome is a good soundfont player, the presets are worthwhile and is a whole new way of using sf2's. I love free stuff blush

So glad you enjoyed the listen

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: See you next time - 08/19/15 12:31 PM
David,

Thank you, I really appreciate what you wrote, let's hope I can continue!

all the best

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: See you next time - 08/19/15 12:58 PM
Janice and Bud,

I have always written stuff about my life, dunno why but each song usually has a memory attached. I have never been able to write "normal songs" blush
I tried, in the practice runs, to sing like Janice, ie in a laid back Bing Crosby vibe but that didn't work grin

thanks for listening

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: See you next time - 08/19/15 01:06 PM
Sergio,

Glad you enjoyed the song, I wondered today if you would like the coffee as well.
I told her you said hullo and she was, for once, lost for words. Thank you laugh

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: See you next time - 08/19/15 01:08 PM
Curt,

Thanks for listening and commenting, our contrasting styles really show what a great program BIAB is.

I look forward to your next song

Alyn
Posted By: MarioD Re: See you next time - 08/19/15 08:24 PM
Welcome back!

As usual you have hit us with another winner! This is top notch all the way. I can hear Dr. Hook singing this one.

This is a winner!
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: See you next time - 08/20/15 01:57 AM
Hi Alyn
So glad it sounds like you are on the mend. Does "ginge" love it? Enjoyed it. I don't know about you but I always get in such trouble when I publish the inspiration for my songs. Ha ha....
Posted By: gibson Re: See you next time - 08/20/15 12:59 PM
Mario,

I am sort of half back, need to rest a lot thanks to the heart, but am making am effort to spend at least an hour or so a day doing music, best therapy/drug/treatment ever!

Dr Hook YEH!! loved them, maybe I will get on the cover of the Rollin Stone now laugh
Thanks for the comparison

all the best

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: See you next time - 08/20/15 01:33 PM
Joanne,

ginge did like the song but she's slightly annoyed because now some of the other regulars have started calling her ginge too HAHAHAHA. So we have called a truce and she is "Oi you!" or Lucy now and I carefully check my coffee grin

Keep on posting your inspirations 'cos they give the song life! I have many songs that when I play them I can remember the surrounding events and it is so much better than a picture.

thanks for listening

Alyn
Posted By: musiclover Re: See you next time - 08/20/15 04:21 PM
Originally Posted By: gibson
Joanne,

ginge did like the song but she's slightly annoyed because now some of the other regulars have started calling her ginge too HAHAHAHA. So we have called a truce and she is "Oi you!" or Lucy now and I carefully check my coffee grin

Keep on posting your inspirations 'cos they give the song life! I have many songs that when I play them I can remember the surrounding events and it is so much better than a picture.

thanks for listening

Alyn

Bet she gets even more annoyed when you all sing the song together for her, she now knows that you can write a song about anything.

I'm sure she's a really nice girl and you all enjoy "The Craic" together.

Very good write Alyn really enjoyed it.

Musiclover
Posted By: gibson Re: See you next time - 08/21/15 04:42 PM
Never thought of doing an acapella version, live in the cafe, Now that would be good. grin
Yeh she is a nice girl and makes a good coffee,

Thanks for listening

Alyn
Posted By: gruverider Re: See you next time - 08/22/15 03:21 PM
As floyd said there is joy in this song!

much enjoyed!
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: See you next time - 08/22/15 08:03 PM
Alyn,

That is a fun song to listen to. I like the way you loosely double tracked your vocal. Your singing style on this song reminds me of the singer / songwriter Alan O'Day most famous during the seventies for the song "Undercover Angel".

Enjoy the free Decaff!
Posted By: gibson Re: See you next time - 08/23/15 02:22 AM
Glad you enjoyed Lawrence.
It was meant as a tribute to a nice young lady. People like her bring a moment of joy to another otherwise normal, boring day. laugh

thanks for listening

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: See you next time - 08/23/15 02:43 AM
Jim,
I had to google Alan O'Day and sort of vaguely, remember that song BUT I also discovered he wrote Angie Baby for Helen Reddy, one of my all time favourites.

I copied and pasted the other versions/takes of those lines as a lazy way to start the harmonies but thought Woah that works!!

Sadly the decaff tasted awful so she knocked up a weak real coffee and aaaah! that found the spot. That is our secret, don't tell anyone blush

thanks for listening

Alyn
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: See you next time - 08/29/15 10:54 PM
Very cool song!! I love the live sound you get in your songs. The vocal doubling works great. Great instrument choices and arrangement. Loved it all, and again welcome back! Take care. Greg
Posted By: gibson Re: See you next time - 08/31/15 02:57 AM
Greg,
Thanks for the compliments, I really appreciate them

take care

Alyn
© PG Music Forums