PG Music Home
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Night Time Angel - 09/03/15 02:04 AM
I really enjoyed the RealTracks and style from a recent post by 44kfl so I used them on this tune I've been working on for a while. Influenced by the repetitiveness chords in the style of "Wicked Games" by Chris Issac.

I hope you enjoy it.

NIGHT TIME ANGEL

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Night Time Angel
File:Night Time Angel_Final Music.SGU
Key=C , Tempo 101, Length (m:s)=5:58
No intro. 152 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 152.
Style is _POPCALP.STY (PopCalypso Even 8ths [100RS])

RealTracks in style: 1174:Bass,
RealTracks in style: 1422:Piano,
RealTracks in style: 1175:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm
RealTracks in style: 1177:Guitar, High-Strung Acoustic, Rhythm
RealTracks in song: 410:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Country Cowboy Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 1530:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopPower Ev 120
RealDrums in style: PopCalypso^1-a:Snare, Closed HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
Lyrics
NIGHT TIME ANGEL

(Piano Intro)

You might not call her a classy lady
A scarlet woman she don’t play games
The world looks down on this barstool angel
Dressed up in lace she has many names

She's a different kind of lady
When I'm hurting about to go down hard
Any other woman is just an imitation
Night time angel -- loves my blues -- away

You can say her love is a sin
But the woman's loving’s for real
Broken wings can’t stop her from flying
This night time angel is my truest friend

(Instrumental Break)

The devil dealt her the losing card
But she bluffs her way to a winning play
Cast from Heaven this falling star
Can make my fears and tears fade away

(Instrumental Outro)
Posted By: PeterF Re: Night Time Angel - 09/03/15 05:14 AM
Enjoyed that (with my cup of tea). Nicely done.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Night Time Angel - 09/03/15 07:41 AM
Well done Charlie. Most enjoyable.
Rob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Night Time Angel - 09/03/15 10:37 AM
Charlie,

Very cool how your started this - slowing the tempo - I don't think I have heard anyone else do that. Clever idea.

You did a great job on this all the way around. The BAND is perfect for this. Your vocal is nice!! Well recorded, processed and mixed. (the first couple of lines seemed a bit low, but then seemed to settle in just right). The entire mix is outstanding. Everything in the right place...

The guitar solos work perfectly. Great job on those.

Outstanding.

floyd
Posted By: boehm Re: Night Time Angel - 09/03/15 10:58 AM
Hi Charlie,

your choice of RTs is perfect for this song. Nice vocals. The solos fit perfectly.
Enjoyable listen.

Guenter
Posted By: mwgilbert Re: Night Time Angel - 09/03/15 05:06 PM
I hear the Chris Issak thing; you make it work well for your song. Everything sounds good and makes for an enjoyable listen, but...I agree with whoever said the vocal on the first two lines is too low. You sing well - let us hear it!
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Night Time Angel - 09/03/15 07:09 PM
Good one Charlie. Enjoyed it.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Night Time Angel - 09/03/15 09:31 PM
Cool stuff Charlie. I thought the drums fit well and the guitar solo was good for this song.

I like the lyrics and you did a very good job on the vocal. You have a good voice...use it and don't hold back. You sing better than you may be aware of.

Good song. I had to go back and listen again. The drums and the bass worked well together.

Cheers,

Billy
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Night Time Angel - 09/03/15 10:12 PM
Nice sounding song. Love the "Wicked Games" feel.

Since it has been mentioned multiple times, I won't mention the vocal is too low in the first two lines. wink

The distorted guitar solo adds a different feel to the song.

To my ears, the bass is a tad buried in the mix.

I would have let it fade out longer. Sounded a little abrupt to me.

Like Floyd, I really like your intro, very unusual but adds to the song.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Night Time Angel - 09/03/15 11:24 PM
peterF - thanks for stopping by for a listen. I usually start my day here on the user forum with a cup of coffee. Great way to start the day.

Rob4580 - I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment. I also appreciate your comment and like on soundcloud. That doesn't happen often. I pulled the old metal detector out today and purchased new batteries. Weather forecast for great, clear day tomorrow. Also reviewed the Garrett 350 - nice. The local dealer stocks the 250 model.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Night Time Angel - 09/03/15 11:30 PM
Floyd - Thanks for commenting and catching onto my intro. When I listened to 44kfl's post, these instruments and style he used immediately struct me as fitting this song I had been working on. I have started mixing analog again with the Tascam DP24 and was a bit asleep at the wheel in the beginning. Will do a re-mix soon to correct it.

Guenter - Thanks for listening. See above for comment to Floyd on finding these RT's. The Pedal steel that 44kfl used did not fit but everything else did.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Night Time Angel - 09/03/15 11:46 PM
MWG - Glad you stopped by. Chris Isaac is a personal favorite, as is "Wicked Games". I always enjoyed his program on Showtime.

Bob (90DB) Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for commenting.

Billy - it's humbling when performing artists such as you and 90DB take time to listen and comment here and on Soundcloud. Your opinions carry a lot of weight with me. I have a lot of influences on my vocal inflections and none of them are good for singing. Geechee (Charleson Gullah), redneck, country, and southern to name a few.

Jim - Thanks for listening. I didn't catch the initial vocal being low last night. I had the vocal all the way down at the beginning because I recorded multiple vocals and spoke each track name during the piano solo. Was a little slow bringing up the fader. The fade out is because the drums and lead guitar weren't generating really good riffs and beats any longer as well as the overall length of the song made it worthwhile to cut it short. Maybe I should have shortened the intro to make room for a longer outro.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Night Time Angel - 09/04/15 03:05 AM
Hi Charlie
Well you definately captured that Chris Isaac feel on this one. Would love to hear him covering it. Great production (and I am listening on my iPhone so that is saying something).
Good job all round.
Posted By: gibson Re: Night Time Angel - 09/04/15 08:43 PM
Charlie,
I enjoyed that a lot.
good beginning, in fact all was good

Alyn
Posted By: Curt Young Re: Night Time Angel - 09/04/15 09:54 PM
Charlie,

You have a great sound... This is very well put together. I would be proud of this one - I would change nothing with the possible exception of a slower fade out, but I follow your reasoning on the lack of additional track sequences.

Very enjoyable listen!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Night Time Angel - 09/05/15 10:13 AM
Joanne - Thanks for stopping by. I'd like to hear Chris Isaac cover this too! He hangs out in Nashville a lot, so if you run into him while you're there, get his email for me.... ;=)

Alyn - I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Curt - I appreciate you taking time to listen and comment. Yeah, six minutes is pushing into 'how long will this be going on?' territory and there was already an earlier long solo.
But, with several comments, I may rethink the outro when I remix the low vocals. It's all part of the fun and the song can only improve getting such great input from the forum members.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Night Time Angel - 09/05/15 03:00 PM
"The devil dealt her the losing card
But she bluffs her way to a winning play
Cast from Heaven this falling star
Can make my fears and tears fade away"

Nice!

Everything is in the pocket here. The
arrangement, the write, the vocal, the
RT choice and the mix...all working
together to make a great production.

Never listened to Issac but hearing a
little bit of Petty here.

We really enjoyed the listen and
will be back!

J&B
Posted By: RnAM Re: Night Time Angel - 09/05/15 07:53 PM
Hi Charlie,

Whenever you post a song we know it's going to be pop (and melodic).
We think this one is your best so far!
We too feel the Chris Isaac touch.
The musical arrangement, including the solo, is top notch.
Keep these kinds of songs coming!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Night Time Angel - 09/06/15 07:16 PM
This is really, really nice Charlie!! The song rolls along with such a pleasant feel, and you have a wonderful vocal texture that is almost hypnotic. Curious about what mic/interface/preamp or whatever you're using-sounds great! The guitar solo fits like a glove-sounds custom. For me, the drums are distracting. They are mixed perfectly but that alternating 2 hits/1 hit doesn't fit for me. I think a more standard single hit each time would be a lot better. Love everything about this except the drum choice. Great stuff!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Night Time Angel - 09/07/15 01:55 AM
Janice & Bud - I'm glad you enjoyed it. You should give Chris Isaac a listen, I especially enjoyed and recommend his album Bayou Sessions. I appreciate your kind comments. It means a lot.

Rob and Anne-Marie - You guys are too kind. Made my head swell and heart soften. Melodic, must stem from my affinity for minor chords... Thanks so much for your kind words.

Greg - Thanks for stopping by for a listen. I've re-mixed the song taking into account some of the recommendations other forum members have presented. I have not re-posted the song with the updated changes. Part of the net effect of the changes includes dropping the drums down a db or 2, upping the bass a notch by eq adjustments and I brought the vocals up (especially the first two lines) so that the lyrics are heard clearly now. Hopefully, if you heard that version, the drums would not be quite as distracting.

I did change my vocal recording setup for this song and did not record straight into a DAW. I used a Nady Ribbon Mic into my Tascam DP-24 hard disk recorder. The vocal uses the Tascam compressor and studio Reverb effects that are printed with the vocal.

I imported this vocal into Studio One 2 for final eq and another compressor on the vocal track and increased the overall volume of the whole song with a limiter across the master buss to main output.

I appreciate you taking time to comment and share your thoughts and I'm glad for the most part, you enjoyed the song.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Night Time Angel - 09/08/15 11:21 PM
Sounds like you hit the mark with this. Nothing new to add to what's been said - nice work!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Night Time Angel - 09/09/15 09:10 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Sounds like you hit the mark with this. Nothing new to add to what's been said - nice work!

Thanks David. I've completed a remix and made some of the changes that have been recommended and think the song sounds a lot better now. I appreciate you taking time to listen and comment.

Charlie
Posted By: gruverider Re: Night Time Angel - 09/11/15 06:31 PM
"Any other woman is just an imitation", love this line

and you gotta like that pop calypso drum and bass!

good song!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Night Time Angel - 09/11/15 11:17 PM
gruverider, thanks for stopping by for a listen. This song had been lying around unfinished for a while and I heard this style used on another User Forum post and immediately knew the style was what I'd been searching for to complete this song.

The lyrics came together quickly on this project. My personal favorite line is "Broken wings can't keep her from flying."

Charlie
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Night Time Angel - 09/12/15 02:22 PM
Hello,

great song, nice real tracks voicing.
Good work and grand finale guitar

Hallo.

Sergio
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Night Time Angel - 09/13/15 12:12 AM
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri
Hello,

great song, nice real tracks voicing.
Good work and grand finale guitar

Hallo.

Sergio

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. The BIAB RT 1530 is one of my go to instruments and always brings an exciting solo. I use it anytime I can.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Night Time Angel - 09/15/15 07:24 PM
Charlie!
How in the world did I miss this one? Especially when I'm mentioned in the introduction. I love this style, sounds so good here, love the tempo change, ritard, pause or whatever it's called. Guitar lead is awesome. The mix is so good, and a very interesting song.
Nice fade too!

Kenny
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Night Time Angel - 09/16/15 09:51 AM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Charlie!
How in the world did I miss this one? Especially when I'm mentioned in the introduction. I love this style, sounds so good here, love the tempo change, ritard, pause or whatever it's called. Guitar lead is awesome. The mix is so good, and a very interesting song.
Nice fade too!

Kenny

Hi Kenny and thanks for stopping by and taking time to listen and comment. Thanks too for finding this great style. There's no way i will ever be able to find and recall all of the 4,000 + styles so I'm always interested in what styles others have found and use for their songs. I've really enjoyed all of your posts so far and look forward to hearing more.

Charlie
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Night Time Angel - 09/24/15 05:35 AM
Hi Charlie,

Nice one! It sounds like you've put a great deal of effort into getting this ready for posting. I enjoyed it all.

All the best,
Noel

Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Night Time Angel - 09/24/15 10:13 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Charlie,

Nice one! It sounds like you've put a great deal of effort into getting this ready for posting. I enjoyed it all.

All the best,
Noel

Hi Noel, thanks for stopping by and bumping this one back up. I thought I'd put a lot of effort in too but after taking some of the recommendations from some of the previous posts, I did a re-mix on eq'ing and volume leveling and made a great improvement to the version posted here. I also had recorded 4 vocal tracks and had chosen the third take as the best. Since posting this, I went back and replaced some of the poorly spoken words on this version with better spoken words from the other takes. Huge improvement. An example occurs at the 1:20 mark where I've replaced the word "different".

I've re-posted songs in the past where I've made major changes to a song such as adding or removing verses, changing the style or recording to replace the vocalist. Since this was simply tweaks, I don't think it warrants a re-post but will tell you I'm much more satisfied with the re-mixed version.

I'm also impressed and enjoying "Road with new horizons". Good job.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Night Time Angel - 09/24/15 01:49 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Charlie,

Very cool how your started this - slowing the tempo - I don't think I have heard anyone else do that. Clever idea.

You did a great job on this all the way around. The BAND is perfect for this. Your vocal is nice!! Well recorded, processed and mixed. (the first couple of lines seemed a bit low, but then seemed to settle in just right). The entire mix is outstanding. Everything in the right place...

The guitar solos work perfectly. Great job on those.

Outstanding.

floyd
+1. Charlie, you sing this really well-turn it up. Great choice on the drums. Absolutely one of the best openings I've heard posted here. Super job on this! Tom
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Night Time Angel - 09/25/15 11:55 PM
Tommy, thanks for stopping by and commenting. I have made some minor tweaks to the song as mentioned above and it does sound better to my ears. I appreciate your comments.

Charlie
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Night Time Angel - 09/27/15 11:43 PM
Charlie,
I really enjoyed this tune. The arrangement is excellent. The melody is reminiscent of Neil Young.

SD
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Night Time Angel - 09/28/15 12:16 AM
SD, thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you liked it. Been missing you here on the forum lately. Glad to see you back and posting again.

Charlie
Posted By: rsdean Re: Night Time Angel - 09/28/15 07:21 PM
Charlie,

Great intro! I can really hear Jackson Browne throughout - excellent song and delivery.

Bob
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Night Time Angel - 09/28/15 09:21 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Charlie,

Great intro! I can really hear Jackson Browne throughout - excellent song and delivery.

Bob

Thanks for stopping by and listening. I appreciate your comments. Glad to see you back on the forum.

Charlie
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Night Time Angel - 09/29/15 09:51 PM
Charlie,
Nice job. Glad I didn't miss this one.
SD
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Night Time Angel - 09/29/15 11:58 PM
Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Charlie,
Nice job. Glad I didn't miss this one.
SD

Thanks for listening. I appreciate it.

Charlie
Posted By: Icelander Re: Night Time Angel - 09/30/15 11:34 PM
Loved what you've done with the core RT style (has endless potentials), and the "Wicked" allusion is certainly there but just subtle enough not to distract or take anything away from this being yours through & through.
The slowdown on the piano intro is just brill, how did you pull that off?
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Night Time Angel - 10/01/15 12:57 AM
Nice Charlie. Has a Neil Young kind of feel to it.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Night Time Angel - 10/01/15 01:56 AM
Originally Posted By: Icelander
Loved what you've done with the core RT style (has endless potentials), and the "Wicked" allusion is certainly there but just subtle enough not to distract or take anything away from this being yours through & through.
The slowdown on the piano intro is just brill, how did you pull that off?

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I'm a big fan of Chris Isaak and always liked "Wicked Games". This calypso style did a good job capturing that feel I thought.

The slowdown during the solo piano intro was accomplished by changing the tempo -5bpm in the bar settings just before the pause. The following bar where all the instruments begin, I changed the tempo back to the original tempo.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Night Time Angel - 10/01/15 01:59 AM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Nice Charlie. Has a Neil Young kind of feel to it.

Thanks. I appreciate your comments.
Posted By: Icelander Re: Night Time Angel - 10/01/15 11:56 AM
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
The slowdown during the solo piano intro was accomplished by changing the tempo -5bpm in the bar settings just before the pause. The following bar where all the instruments begin, I changed the tempo back to the original tempo.
Interesting. For a "whole bar" type of slow-down (which I wouldn't have guessed), I have to say it's quite effective.
Posted By: SRP Re: Night Time Angel - 10/01/15 01:44 PM
Charlie nice song both music and lyrics (ditto on what everyone else said). I am constantly reminded (as I have heard a few songs now from others) that you guys have a handle on the use of BIAB. It is such a remarkable tool for people who like to create music. I never get tired of what it is capable of doing.
Sonny
Posted By: Sundance Re: Night Time Angel - 10/01/15 11:39 PM
Hey if you're gonna do Chris you gotta have ALOT more reverb...just kidding. Well done Charlie, great sound from start to finish.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Night Time Angel - 10/02/15 09:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Icelander
Interesting. For a "whole bar" type of slow-down (which I wouldn't have guessed), I have to say it's quite effective.

I saw the technique demonstrated in the very first Biab tutorial I ever watched. It was a fairly old video then and was done by a gentleman showing the Biab basics by doing a country song classic. I don't recall the song but it slowed at the end. I've used the technique periodically in songs all along in places where a riff or turn around plays to fast. This is the first time it has been noticed.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Night Time Angel - 10/02/15 09:47 AM
Originally Posted By: SRP
Charlie nice song both music and lyrics (ditto on what everyone else said). I am constantly reminded (as I have heard a few songs now from others) that you guys have a handle on the use of BIAB. It is such a remarkable tool for people who like to create music. I never get tired of what it is capable of doing.
Sonny

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Yep, the User Showcase is a great place to learn. Knowledgeable, friendly and creative people abound. With Biab having more than 4,000 styles, it's a good place to find new styles as well. So far, most of the drama of the world has remained contained in the songs and not in the forum comments. A complete joy to be here and listen to better music than what graces our radios today.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Night Time Angel - 10/02/15 09:52 AM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Hey if you're gonna do Chris you gotta have ALOT more reverb...just kidding. Well done Charlie, great sound from start to finish.

Hey, I even wore a sequined jacket to set the mood....

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Charlie
Posted By: Icelander Re: Night Time Angel - 10/02/15 12:46 PM
...I've used the technique periodically in songs all along in places where a riff or turn around plays to fast. This is the first time it has been noticed.
Well, like I said, it's quite effective...and searching for that "just perfect" slow-down method in BBox is a bit of an obsession with me wink
© PG Music Forums