PG Music Home
Posted By: gibson Not in love anymore - 09/10/15 02:32 PM
This is the song the lady in floyd's song, You'll never fall in love again might have written that first night alone, sitting at an old piano.
Just before we split my ex-wife accused me of having an affair when in fact she was the adulterer so this song is sorta prophetic as I wrote this in the late 60's, on that Steinway in the basement of my old university bar, having just discovered augmented chords by the sound of it!!
Don't know why it's so miserable then tho! At that time it lasted until the break in the middle I added the reprise just now.

not in love

RealTracks in song: 533:Bass, Electric, 12-8 Crystal Sw 065
RealTracks in style: 895:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment PopSlow12-8 Ev 060
RealTracks in song: ~526:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Hank Sw 065
RealDrums in Song: Nashville128^01-a:SideStick, b:Ride
RealTracks in song: 627:Pedal Steel, Background 12-8 Crystal Sw 065
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2058:Strings, Rhythm CelticAir Ev 085 emu proteus free Abbey Strings
me on my Heritage Les Paul and Line 6 Toneport UX2
arpeggios from adjusted chord track using FM7 and Emu Proteus free

Oh How can I say all the things that I need to
when you're getting at me for being so unkind to you?
I don't do anything
I wouldnt want to if I could

but day in and day out and every moment of time
you don't stop one to think you don't believe I 'm not lyin' to you
I'm always doing wrong
don't believe that I can be good

They always said to me
you were the girl for me
just give them a kiss oh give them a smile
I know you can do it 'cos you said that you could
but I can't take this much more

so give up your thoughts of me cheatin you
I don't just beieve it, just stop doing what you do
can't take anymore I'm going mad I'm insane
and I'm drowning myself with your brain

There's one thing I gotta say
I'm now not in love
I'm not in love anymore

instr

They always said to me
you were the girl for me
just give them a kiss give them a smile
I know you can do it cos you said that you could
but I can't take this much more

so give up your thoughts of me cheatin you
see I don't just beieve me, just stop doing what you do
can't take anymore I'm going mad I'm insane
I'm drowning myself in you brain

There's one thing I gotta say
I'm now not in love
I'm not in love anymore

Alyn
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Not in love anymore - 09/10/15 05:13 PM
Really, really nice work Alyn!! This has such a sincere reflective quality, the chord progression is really unique and creative, and everything works. I love the arrangement. You are a master at building the arrangement through the song. The instruments come in so unobtrusively and carry everything a step higher. This is excellent!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Curt Young Re: Not in love anymore - 09/10/15 05:15 PM
Hey, Alyn,

Such a sad song. Done very well, too. Late 60's ? Wow - the redo is great stuff! And it probably is what the gal in Floyd's song would write.

Love it!
Posted By: gibson Re: Not in love anymore - 09/11/15 04:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Really, really nice work Alyn!! This has such a sincere reflective quality, the chord progression is really unique and creative, and everything works. I love the arrangement. You are a master at building the arrangement through the song. The instruments come in so unobtrusively and carry everything a step higher. This is excellent!! Take care. Greg

Thank you Greg, that is a really nice comment, thank you so much.

all the best

Alyn
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Not in love anymore - 09/11/15 06:42 AM
Love this.Up there with your best. Well written and performed my friend.
Rob
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Not in love anymore - 09/11/15 10:19 AM
One of your best. Clever idea for your inspiration too. I've tried to imagine the other point of view response with a song in the past a time or two. Enjoyed this one a lot.

Charlie
Posted By: boehm Re: Not in love anymore - 09/11/15 10:30 AM
Hi Alyn,

let me quote Greg: "This has such a sincere reflective quality, the chord progression is really unique and creative, and everything works."
I really enjoyed it.

Guenter
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Not in love anymore - 09/11/15 04:50 PM
Alyn,

I think you get better with each submission. (That's song submission.. if you are "submitting" elsewhere in your life, that is none of my business smile )

Hints of influences (perhaps), yet so very original. I heard Gilbert O'Sullivan (again), I hear John Lennon (AND George Martin!) but mostly, I hear Alyn James. Your writing style is so unique - almost stream of consciousness at times - then falling to a simple revealing statement...

The production on this wonderful.

Big applause!

floyd
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Not in love anymore - 09/11/15 05:04 PM
I love everything in 12/8 and this sounds great. Love the Lennon reference( I can hear it too). Brought to us all the way from the 60's, wow! Enjoyed the listen.

Kenny
Posted By: gibson Re: Not in love anymore - 09/12/15 02:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Curt Young
Hey, Alyn,

Such a sad song. Done very well, too. Late 60's ? Wow - the redo is great stuff! And it probably is what the gal in Floyd's song would write.

Love it!

Thanks Curt, I was one of the millions plying my songs trying to make it in the late 60's, early 70's in London, I got a bit of interest from one I remember Jonathon King *shudder* but nothing materialised.

Don't know why it was so sad then.
Glad you enjoyed it

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: Not in love anymore - 09/12/15 02:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Love this.Up there with your best. Well written and performed my friend.
Rob

Thank you Rob, I appreciate your comments 'specially from an expert like you grin

all the best

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: Not in love anymore - 09/12/15 02:24 AM
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
One of your best. Clever idea for your inspiration too. I've tried to imagine the other point of view response with a song in the past a time or two. Enjoyed this one a lot.

Charlie

Wow thanks Charlie, the inspiration was due to the old Steinway and one or two pints of British Real Ale crazy
So glad you enjoyed it

Alyn
Posted By: PeterF Re: Not in love anymore - 09/12/15 04:23 AM
Really interesting - can also hear the influences mentioned in the other posts.
Quite unique.
Posted By: gibson Re: Not in love anymore - 09/12/15 12:28 PM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Alyn,

let me quote Greg: "This has such a sincere reflective quality, the chord progression is really unique and creative, and everything works."
I really enjoyed it.

Guenter

I really appreciate your comments, Guenter, thank you so much

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: Not in love anymore - 09/12/15 01:00 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alyn,
I think you get better with each submission. (That's song submission.. if you are "submitting" elsewhere in your life, that is none of my business smile )

Hints of influences (perhaps), yet so very original. I heard Gilbert O'Sullivan (again), I hear John Lennon (AND George Martin!) but mostly, I hear Alyn James. Your writing style is so unique - almost stream of consciousness at times - then falling to a simple revealing statement...

The production on this wonderful.

Big applause!

if you are "submitting" elsewhere in your life, that is none of my business smile
*looks embarrassed* *shuffles feet nervously* Dunno what you mean blush grin

Wow George Martin! thank you Sir.

"A stream of consciousness" As I write the words seem to just flow, sometimes LOL, and I just put them all down. I have boxes of complete and utter rubbish that I now refer to when stuck and even more rubbish flows out! and sometimes a song may appear. I usually wrote a song in "one sitting" and probably with a beer or 2 on board.

thanks for the comments

Alyn

ps the last thing I submitted to was an Inland Revenue Investigation, on my retirement, about my taxes! What fun that was!
Posted By: dcuny Re: Not in love anymore - 09/12/15 07:59 PM
You might have been influenced, but I think you're a bit too original to ever sound derivative.

Interesting progression. As floyd said, the lyric has a bit of stream-of-consciousness effect. Sort of like the once the song gets going, the words sort of overwhelm the song, in a good way.

Very cool.
Posted By: Skyline Re: Not in love anymore - 09/13/15 06:30 AM
You got a good song from the pain Alyn, it's all cool.
John
Posted By: gibson Re: Not in love anymore - 09/13/15 09:14 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
I love everything in 12/8 and this sounds great. Love the Lennon reference( I can hear it too). Brought to us all the way from the 60's, wow! Enjoyed the listen.

Kenny

I must have subconsciously referenced Lennon because I don't know what you are referring to laugh grin
I have some more from that time that I am working on and they show me now why I didn't then catch peoples ears, in the right way, LOL. mad
So glad you enjoyed the listen

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: Not in love anymore - 09/13/15 09:24 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Really interesting - can also hear the influences mentioned in the other posts.
Quite unique.

Yup, that's me....unique assisted by BIAB smile My partner in rhyme grin

thanks for the listen and comment

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: Not in love anymore - 09/15/15 12:32 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
You might have been influenced, but I think you're a bit too original to ever sound derivative.

Interesting progression. As floyd said, the lyric has a bit of stream-of-consciousness effect. Sort of like the once the song gets going, the words sort of overwhelm the song, in a good way.

Very cool.

Thanks David,

Yes I am unique in all ways, I would hate to be described as derivative, so glad you enjoyed

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: Not in love anymore - 09/15/15 12:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Skyline
You got a good song from the pain Alyn, it's all cool.
John

Thanks John,
hope all is improving your end

Alyn
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Not in love anymore - 09/15/15 11:27 AM
We agree with EVERYTHING that's been said.
And, yes, a little Lennon vibe is there BUT you
have a signature sound with your vocals and
RT arrangements. And it is a very well crafted
signature sound...something so many musicians,
including ones of great talent, never develop.

Yep, we like it.

J&B
Posted By: gibson Re: Not in love anymore - 09/16/15 12:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We agree with EVERYTHING that's been said.
And, yes, a little Lennon vibe is there BUT you
have a signature sound with your vocals and
RT arrangements. And it is a very well crafted
signature sound...something so many musicians,
including ones of great talent, never develop.

Yep, we like it.

J&B

Thank you, blush a signature sound is EXACTLY what I have strived for, since I first started writing and then recording all those years ago. BIAB has, without a shadow of doubt, helped develop the musical side.

I initially HATED my voice and covered it with light echo and flanging. I even took singing lessons until the tutor's laughter became too much to beargrin

So glad the both of you like it!

Alyn
Posted By: gruverider Re: Not in love anymore - 09/16/15 11:37 PM
You have made a wise choice to embrace your voice. Your unique approach to instrumentation, and arranging, and lyrics and their delivery and to the whole package is always enjoying to listen to.

Great song!
Posted By: gibson Re: Not in love anymore - 09/19/15 11:20 AM
Originally Posted By: gruverider
You have made a wise choice to embrace your voice. Your unique approach to instrumentation, and arranging, and lyrics and their delivery and to the whole package is always enjoying to listen to.

Great song!

Thanks Lawrence, so glad you stopped by and enjoyed it!
I do wish I had a different/ better voice but hey I'm stuck with it now. frown

Alyn
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Not in love anymore - 09/25/15 11:09 PM
Alyn,

This is really beautiful. Nobody writes outside the oft-spoken-about box like you. The way you have used rhymes verses lack-of-rhymes to drive the flow of these lyrics is outstanding.

I've been listening to a number of songs from Korean melodramas lately. My reason for doing this is that (a) I like much of the music and (b) I don't speak Korean so all I can do is listen for rhyming patterns in consonants and vowels. This seems to be helping me understand the effect rhyme a bit more. Some Korean songwriters, like you, often have a tug of war between rhyming and not rhyming. It's very effective.

Have a listen to the chorus at the below link (0:56)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMWvZ3dExhA

As I hear the above chorus, and in the broad sense, there's an AAXBBX rhyme pattern. Even though the chorus ends without rhyming, it's very effective. That being said, there is an internal rhyme in the last line of the chorus that does use the final vowel sound. (It's the kind of internal pattern that floyd sometimes employs and it works well.)

But I digress...

I've just had another listen to your song smile It's still excellent.

All the best,
Noel

P.S. Apologies for taking so long to comment on this. I haven't been active in the forum for a little while.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Not in love anymore - 09/26/15 09:04 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
+1, Alyn, This is so interesting to listen to. The chord progression is really nice, the arrangement is quite good and the vocal is something that only you could pull off. Wonderful work! Tom
Posted By: gibson Re: Not in love anymore - 09/28/15 12:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Alyn,

This is really beautiful. Nobody writes outside the oft-spoken-about box like you. The way you have used rhymes verses lack-of-rhymes to drive the flow of these lyrics is outstanding..................

............ I've just had another listen to your song smile It's still excellent.

All the best,
Noel

P.S. Apologies for taking so long to comment on this. I haven't been active in the forum for a little while.

Good to hear from you Noel,there is no need to apologise, I just hope all is well down your way.
that was an interesting link to a really nice song, and a fascinating dissection by yourself cool

I loved Rapper's Delight by the Sugar Hill gang when that came out and the original version of walk this way and the Run DMC version and strived, sometimes, to make the words match the flow of the song.
I have always said that I try to paint pictures with words and music and sometimes, in my mind, I succeed.

So glad you enjoyed this miserable song blush grin

All the best

Alyn
Posted By: rsdean Re: Not in love anymore - 09/28/15 07:25 PM
Alyn,

Excellent! This is one of my favorites from you - very beautiful.

Bob
Posted By: gibson Re: Not in love anymore - 09/29/15 04:41 AM
Cheers Tom,

Glad you enjoyed the listen

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: Not in love anymore - 09/29/15 04:42 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Alyn,

Excellent! This is one of my favorites from you - very beautiful.

Bob

thanks Bob,

glad you enjoyed this miserable song laugh

Alyn
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Not in love anymore - 09/29/15 10:07 PM
Alyn,
This is really well done. One of your best.
SD
Posted By: gibson Re: Not in love anymore - 09/30/15 07:57 AM
Thanks for listening and commenting.
Glad you enjoyed

Alyn
Posted By: Icelander Re: Not in love anymore - 09/30/15 11:44 PM
A strong hint of "post-Beatles" Lennon, which I credit particularly to the experimental mix of the vocal and solo guitar in particular. The "didn't expect this chord next!" only adds to the vibe.
Not a shabby place in music to be compared to, if I was sounding ambiguous in my observation there smile

p.s. And most of my songs which I'm never going to post here are far more depressing than this, so obviously the gloom in yours was just another bonus to me wink
Posted By: gibson Re: Not in love anymore - 10/01/15 02:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Icelander
A strong hint of "post-Beatles" Lennon, which I credit particularly to the experimental mix of the vocal and solo guitar in particular. The "didn't expect this chord next!" only adds to the vibe.
Not a shabby place in music to be compared to, if I was sounding ambiguous in my observation there smile

p.s. And most of my songs which I'm never going to post here are far more depressing than this, so obviously the gloom in yours was just another bonus to me wink

What a nice review, Eddie.

Glad you enjoyed my misery LOL

Alyn
Posted By: SRP Re: Not in love anymore - 10/01/15 02:43 PM
I found that your phrase "I'm drowning myself in your brain" to be very interesting. We all can get so absorbed in things that drowning in them is a very good description of what could be happening to us. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Sonny
Posted By: Sundance Re: Not in love anymore - 10/01/15 11:21 PM
Love that change around 1:33. Cool sad song and arrangement Alyn.
Posted By: gibson Re: Not in love anymore - 10/02/15 05:37 AM
Originally Posted By: SRP
I found that your phrase "I'm drowning myself in your brain" to be very interesting. We all can get so absorbed in things that drowning in them is a very good description of what could be happening to us. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Sonny

I can't remember why I wrote those lines but yes one has to sink or swim from all those hateful comments been thrown at you crazy

Thanks for listening

Alyn
Posted By: gibson Re: Not in love anymore - 10/02/15 05:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Love that change around 1:33. Cool sad song and arrangement Alyn.

That change was thanks to BIAB Chord track and a midi arpeggiator in my DAW and then I went YEH, and did a little dance grin when the drum fill was in time.

Glad you listened and enjoyed.
I hope them pesky rodents have been shown who is "The Boss" grin

take care

Alyn
Posted By: RnAM Re: Not in love anymore - 10/02/15 09:18 PM
Hello Alyn,

A tough subject you've chosen here but the results are very good.
Original, as for lyrics and musical arrangement. Your songs are never boring!
Well done.

Rob & Anne-Marie
Posted By: gibson Re: Not in love anymore - 10/03/15 12:12 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hello Alyn,

A tough subject you've chosen here but the results are very good.
Original, as for lyrics and musical arrangement. Your songs are never boring!
Well done.

Rob & Anne-Marie

Thanks for listening.
I was wondering where you 2 were and your latest post explains it all laugh

Thanks for saying I am never boring grin

Alyn
© PG Music Forums