PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane Learning - 09/16/15 10:24 AM
I'm a big fan of the classic "cry in your beer" song.
I was listening to some Ricky Van Shelton...he did a bunch of great ones:

Statue Of A Fool
I'll Leave This World Loving You
Somebody Lied (perhaps my all-time favorite - or a tie with Vince Gill's "When I Call Your Name")

No one does these anymore. It's a shame.
So...figured that I would.

My usual duet partner joins me to take this to another level...
(if you don't like hard-core Country... pick up your marbles and go home, 'cause you'll HATE this!)

LEARNING

well i never thought that i'd be learning
things this late in life
what i'm finding out
was never taught in school
you promised me a lesson
that i wouldn't soon forget
you proved that you can even
teach a fool

i'm learning how it feels to be alone
   gaining first hand knowledge of the empty
   that few have ever known
   it's an independent study
   i've done the work all on my own

had a lesson on sunday mornings
without you by my side
another on just what tears are for
it's a test to see if i can sleep
in this king-sized bed alone
i don't want to have to learn any more

gaining first hand knowledge of the empty
   since your heart turned to stone
   it's an independent study
   i've done the work all on my own

I LOVE that BIAB includes RTs to bring these type songs alive!

Style is _BMCS128.STY (Country12-8 Pno w GuitSolo[65RS])

RealTracks in style: 533:Bass, Electric, 12-8 Crystal Sw 065
RealTracks in style: 2167:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Country12-8John Sw 065
RealTracks in song: 1883:Piano, Acoustic, Soloist Country12-8John Sw 065
RealTracks in song: ~529:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Hank Sw 065
RealTracks in song: 627:Pedal Steel, Background 12-8 Crystal Sw 065
RealDrums in style: Nashville128^01-a:SideStick, b:Ride

Harmonies: Janice Merritt

You are the best, girl! And thank you, Bud...

Comments encouraged. Tears are optional...
Have at it.

floyd
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Learning - 09/16/15 10:37 AM
You've captured this classic sound perfectly. Reminds of riding in the back seat with my Dad driving with his Miller in hand listening to George Jones on the radio. Beautiful harmonies. Love it!

Kenny
Posted By: Rick Hansen Re: Learning - 09/16/15 12:18 PM
Holy George Jones Batman! As a born and raised hardcore Rock and Roller (I'm 68 and from Brooklyn!) I weirdly have had a special place in my soul for this kind of tune and your right, it's almost a lost genre. THANK YOU for this one, it took me back to a great place musically and for that I am grateful. Outstanding production values, meaningful lyrics and a great job all around.
Rick
Posted By: Bekah500 Re: Learning - 09/16/15 01:48 PM
WOW well done!! Its gorgeous! Perfect classic country! I can just imagine this in a movie
Posted By: gibson Re: Learning - 09/16/15 02:16 PM
floyd,

Damn!!
A stunning country song sung with such conviction as usual.

I can imagine you two singing this on stage, with the audience gently swaying to the wonderful tune, both of you deep in the words.

LOVE the stops/ emphasis, under the lyrics in chorus " all on my own".

This is an excellent lesson in classic country, beautiful.

Amazing that it is 3.55 'cos it goes so quickly and deserves many plays.
It's a lovely day in Wales and so the door was open and the amp wound up so the neighbours can appreciate it also.

Quote:
You are the best, girl! And thank you, Bud..
I whole heartedly agree, Janice's voice is astounding and compliments yours so well.

All in all that deserves a standing ovation to all involved!

time for another play.

floyd, and Janice, you keep getting better with each song. How do you do it????

Alyn
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Learning - 09/16/15 04:31 PM
Great classic country feel with this one. Nailed it.

The icing on the cake would be a promo photo of you and Janice dressed circa 1970 in polyester and complete with the hair-do's standing in front of a wall with a huge NASCAR poster of David Pearson and Richard Petty dueling for first place coming out of turn 4.

Charlie
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Learning - 09/16/15 04:35 PM
I have to say, your lyric writing is great, but your delivery makes it even better.

I always love your inflection!

Great song. Well performed!

Thanks for the share!
Posted By: Carolyne Re: Learning - 09/16/15 05:52 PM
Great song. I guess Learning is the one thing we never grow too old to do. I like it.
Carolyne
Posted By: boehm Re: Learning - 09/16/15 09:38 PM
Hi Floyd,

though I'm not the biggest fan of hard-core Country
I didn't run away. The delivery is too good.
Vocals and harmonies are great. And the drums
sound is fantastic.
I drink my beer out of the bottle so it's hard
to cry into it.
But I enjoyed it a lot anyway.

Guenter
Posted By: mwgilbert Re: Learning - 09/16/15 09:51 PM
For my taste, old school country music has to be really(!) well done for me to appreciate it. Well, your track is really well done!

You and your great singing partner sing the song with great heart and conviction, and you accompany the vocals with an instrumental backing that is both tasty and tasteful.

I find this kind of genuineness much more appealing than the more commercial so-called 'contemporary' country music. It's real, and it could be part of the the soundtrack to a Larry McMurtry novel.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Learning - 09/17/15 12:08 AM
Beautifully put together. Great vocals.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Learning - 09/17/15 10:13 AM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
You've captured this classic sound perfectly. Reminds of riding in the back seat with my Dad driving with his Miller in hand listening to George Jones on the radio. Beautiful harmonies. Love it!

Kenny

Thanks, Kenny... driving with a Miller in hand... those were different times, weren't they (oooh.. that all sounds like the start of a song!!!)

Originally Posted By: Rickey
Holy George Jones Batman! As a born and raised hardcore Rock and Roller (I'm 68 and from Brooklyn!) I weirdly have had a special place in my soul for this kind of tune and your right, it's almost a lost genre. THANK YOU for this one, it took me back to a great place musically and for that I am grateful. Outstanding production values, meaningful lyrics and a great job all around.
Rick

Hi, Rick... nice to see you drop by... and always nice to see a rocker appreciating cry-in-your-beer Country! Thanks...
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Learning - 09/17/15 02:30 PM
Its so easy to appreciate your delivery... your voice is such a good match for the genre, but unlike anyone else's... you have a totally unique signature sound.

And your collaborations with Janice are exactly right every single time... the two of you have a musical chemistry that just works. I'm glad that this forum has brought this musical team together, and I suspect you have a lot more great songs to come yet!

But even a sound as good as yours could potentially get tiring if you didn't keep it fresh... and your secret freshness ingredient is lyric writing.

Some people get lucky and come up with a really clever concept... some get luckier and craft the lyrics to the concept just perfectly.

But you have that special knack for doing it every single time! You are one of the rare song writers who has achieved the state of "conscious competence" in which you don't have to rely on luck or epiphany... you KNOW what works, so you can reproduce your victories.

In this case, I really liked the various ways you developed the theme of "learning" and tied it into the topic of lost love. Just MASTERFUL!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Learning - 09/17/15 05:28 PM
Being a beer lover, I love the "tears in your beer" feel!! Floyd, this song feels like it was born an old classic. Arrangement is great (love those piano accents) and the harmonies are out of this world (knew who that was before checking the credits)! Everything works great. Enjoyed much (as I expected I would)! Take care. Greg
Posted By: RichMac Re: Learning - 09/17/15 10:35 PM
Fabulous Floyd. I love this stuff.
Always thought that simple music well played (and presented) was the most fun.
Nice keyboard. Makes me feel like drinking. Cheers.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Learning - 09/18/15 01:41 AM
As Charlie so eloquently said: Nailed it. smile
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Learning - 09/18/15 08:29 AM
Floyd, this is definitely another keeper, as is everything you do! Your voice is subtlety unique and pleasant. Your diction is clear and concise, very easy to understand.

+1 for "nailed it!"
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Learning - 09/18/15 08:34 AM
I guar-en-damn-tee-ya... now that right there is country music the way it's supposed to be.

All good from the first note to the last.

I really liked the subtle BGV ... reminded me a lot of the songs Janie Fricky used to sing backup on. Of course Janie was a great country singer and a star on her own.... but her backup work is simply stellar. This reminded me immediately of her work in years past.

At close to 4 minutes, you didn't have a lot of spare time to do other stuff, but I could not help but think, this would have really been superb with a short half-verse solo featuring a fiddle lead. But it is what it is and time is of the essence in songs.

My only hope is that this style of country music makes a come back at some time. They seem to be heading in the opposite direction following along behind pop trends..... but we can still keep it alive by writing great "new" old country songs.

Good melody, good structure, good vocal performances, Great job on this.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Learning - 09/18/15 09:30 AM
Quote:
My only hope is that this style of country music makes a come back at some time. They seem to be heading in the opposite direction following along behind pop trends..... but we can still keep it alive by writing great "new" old country songs.

this music will be alive for a long time to come... in live performances. The world of live music is a completely different animal than the world of radio music. Music festivals exist primarily to keep the old stuff alive. And there's a reason why so many bands play the same songs: they just don't want to play the new stuff
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Learning - 09/18/15 09:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Quote:

this music will be alive for a long time to come... in live performances. The world of live music is a completely different animal than the world of radio music. Music festivals exist primarily to keep the old stuff alive. And there's a reason why so many bands play the same songs: they just don't want to play the new stuff

There is much inside talk that says it is in the process of swinging back... it may be 6 months to a year before it begins to find it's way to the public (radio) - the "country rap" thing needs to finish it's run first - radio is typically a year lag to what is currently being written and recorded... But we may see the "story song" return down the road...

(it will likely be "different" than what it has been in the past - some type of "evolved" story/furniture song - an mix of what it used to be and the "new stuff" all jumbled up... time will tell...)

Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Learning - 09/18/15 10:46 AM
Floyd and Janice. Wow. I hate it when my beer gets watered down.

Yes, you nailed it. Another Signature delivery. You certainly captured what you set out to do.

Always a pleasure to listen to your material. This one is no exception.

Trev
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Learning - 09/18/15 10:49 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Quote:

There is much inside talk that says it is in the process of swinging back... it may be 6 months to a year before it begins to find it's way to the public (radio) - the "country rap" thing needs to finish it's run first - radio is typically a year lag to what is currently being written and recorded... But we may see the "story song" return down the road...

(it will likely be "different" than what it has been in the past - some type of "evolved" story/furniture song - an mix of what it used to be and the "new stuff" all jumbled up... time will tell...)

the Henley CD you posted will do a lot to keep it alive if not turn it around.

Floyd, I hope you enter that Chris Austin song contest. The judges are Nashville industry types. Previous winners have gone on to some measure of success. The time and energy you've devoted to understanding and developing this music would surely put you head and shoulders above 99% of the other contenders.

The fact that it is part of the Merlefest system of embracing the past alongside the present suggests that more traditional offerings might be considered in a different light than in a Nashville producers office.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Learning - 09/18/15 12:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Bekah500
WOW well done!! Its gorgeous! Perfect classic country! I can just imagine this in a movie

Bekah - Thanks for the nice comments... appreciate you stopping in for a listen...

Originally Posted By: gibson
floyd,

Damn!!
A stunning country song sung with such conviction as usual.

I can imagine you two singing this on stage, with the audience gently swaying to the wonderful tune, both of you deep in the words.

LOVE the stops/ emphasis, under the lyrics in chorus " all on my own".

This is an excellent lesson in classic country, beautiful.

Amazing that it is 3.55 'cos it goes so quickly and deserves many plays.
It's a lovely day in Wales and so the door was open and the amp wound up so the neighbours can appreciate it also.

Quote:
You are the best, girl! And thank you, Bud..
I whole heartedly agree, Janice's voice is astounding and compliments yours so well.

All in all that deserves a standing ovation to all involved!

time for another play.

floyd, and Janice, you keep getting better with each song. How do you do it????

Alyn

What a nice review, Alyn... we thank you... hope the neighbors enjoyed it...

Originally Posted By: c_fogle

The icing on the cake would be a promo photo of you and Janice dressed circa 1970 in polyester and complete with the hair-do's standing in front of a wall with a huge NASCAR poster of David Pearson and Richard Petty dueling for first place coming out of turn 4.

Charlie

Thanks, Charlie....

So is this what you had in mind?
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Learning - 09/18/15 01:28 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

Charlie

Thanks, Charlie....

So is this what you had in mind?

Yep. That's the feel I'd be going for on the album cover so there would be no confusion between your 'real' country with modern country. I'm not sure why the polyester fad ever faded???
Posted By: gruverider Re: Learning - 09/18/15 08:23 PM
Sounds great! crisp and clear, Wonderful vocals from both of you! and well written lyrics

great song!
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Learning - 09/19/15 09:30 AM
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Sounds great! crisp and clear, Wonderful vocals from both of you! and well written lyrics

great song!

What he said. I really like the polyester suits too. Now that's Show Business! grin

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Learning - 09/19/15 05:56 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
I have to say, your lyric writing is great, but your delivery makes it even better.

I always love your inflection!

Great song. Well performed!

Thanks for the share!

Thanks, Caaron.... appreciate that... (so when will we hear your next?)

Originally Posted By: Carolyne
Great song. I guess Learning is the one thing we never grow too old to do. I like it.
Carolyne

Thanks, Carolyne....

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Floyd,

though I'm not the biggest fan of hard-core Country
I didn't run away. The delivery is too good.
Vocals and harmonies are great. And the drums
sound is fantastic.
I drink my beer out of the bottle so it's hard
to cry into it.
But I enjoyed it a lot anyway.

Guenter

Guenter - thank you - appreciate your nice review - and the chuckle...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Learning - 09/20/15 12:37 PM
Originally Posted By: mwgilbert
For my taste, old school country music has to be really(!) well done for me to appreciate it. Well, your track is really well done!

You and your great singing partner sing the song with great heart and conviction, and you accompany the vocals with an instrumental backing that is both tasty and tasteful.

I find this kind of genuineness much more appealing than the more commercial so-called 'contemporary' country music. It's real, and it could be part of the the soundtrack to a Larry McMurtry novel.

Thanks for that, Michael. It is always great to sing with Janice.
HA! I think Larry would likely be going to his son first...

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Beautifully put together. Great vocals.

Thanks, Peter.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Learning - 09/20/15 12:54 PM
Its so easy to appreciate your delivery... your voice is such a good match for the genre, but unlike anyone else's... you have a totally unique signature sound.

And your collaborations with Janice are exactly right every single time... the two of you have a musical chemistry that just works. I'm glad that this forum has brought this musical team together, and I suspect you have a lot more great songs to come yet!

But even a sound as good as yours could potentially get tiring if you didn't keep it fresh... and your secret freshness ingredient is lyric writing.

Some people get lucky and come up with a really clever concept... some get luckier and craft the lyrics to the concept just perfectly.

But you have that special knack for doing it every single time! You are one of the rare song writers who has achieved the state of "conscious competence" in which you don't have to rely on luck or epiphany... you KNOW what works, so you can reproduce your victories.

In this case, I really liked the various ways you developed the theme of "learning" and tied it into the topic of lost love. Just MASTERFUL!

Pat - it is so very nice to see you back 'round these here parts... always enjoy reading your thoughts on songs in the showcase - thank you for such a nice "review"... certainly appreciated. I am quite fortunate to have "run into" Janice and Bud - here in the forum - to do music with...a pure joy every time...
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Learning - 09/20/15 02:39 PM
Hello,

great song!!

great the background voice too.

Hello.

Sergio
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Learning - 09/21/15 11:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Being a beer lover, I love the "tears in your beer" feel!! Floyd, this song feels like it was born an old classic. Arrangement is great (love those piano accents) and the harmonies are out of this world (knew who that was before checking the credits)! Everything works great. Enjoyed much (as I expected I would)! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg - always enjoy hearing your impressions of a song!

Originally Posted By: RichMac
Fabulous Floyd. I love this stuff.
Always thought that simple music well played (and presented) was the most fun.
Nice keyboard. Makes me feel like drinking. Cheers.

Appreciate that, Richard....

Originally Posted By: dcuny
As Charlie so eloquently said: Nailed it. smile

Thanks, David....
Posted By: Skyline Re: Learning - 09/21/15 12:05 PM
A superb song Floyd, and perfectly delivered vocals. Love it.

John
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Learning - 09/22/15 09:01 AM
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
Floyd, this is definitely another keeper, as is everything you do! Your voice is subtlety unique and pleasant. Your diction is clear and concise, very easy to understand.

+1 for "nailed it!"

Don - always appreciate you coming around for a listen... I hope all is going well for you - it has been quite a big time for you lately, hasn't it!!

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I guar-en-damn-tee-ya... now that right there is country music the way it's supposed to be.

All good from the first note to the last.

I really liked the subtle BGV ... reminded me a lot of the songs Janie Fricky used to sing backup on. Of course Janie was a great country singer and a star on her own.... but her backup work is simply stellar. This reminded me immediately of her work in years past.

At close to 4 minutes, you didn't have a lot of spare time to do other stuff, but I could not help but think, this would have really been superb with a short half-verse solo featuring a fiddle lead. But it is what it is and time is of the essence in songs.

Good melody, good structure, good vocal performances, Great job on this.

Thanks, Herb - appreciate all that. Just couldn't see having any leads in this - never like going over about 3:20 as it is...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Learning - 09/23/15 11:04 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Floyd and Janice. Wow. I hate it when my beer gets watered down.

Yes, you nailed it. Another Signature delivery. You certainly captured what you set out to do.

Always a pleasure to listen to your material. This one is no exception.

Trev

LOL - Trevor, thanks for stopping by for a listen (and for the chuckle)...

the Henley CD you posted will do a lot to keep it alive if not turn it around.

Floyd, I hope you enter that Chris Austin song contest. The judges are Nashville industry types. Previous winners have gone on to some measure of success. The time and energy you've devoted to understanding and developing this music would surely put you head and shoulders above 99% of the other contenders.

The fact that it is part of the Merlefest system of embracing the past alongside the present suggests that more traditional offerings might be considered in a different light than in a Nashville producers office.

I've listened to the Henley CD a few times now. I think it will be interesting to see how it is received. There will be a certain segment of his fan base that don't like it (too Country). There is nothing about it that "lights a new spark" to what is essentially a 90's Nashville sound. Which is a shame, because it did have the potential to get people to re-evaluate that... There are no real standout songs (IMO) like there typically are on a Henley record (although I really like "Words Can Break Your Heart").

It's cool that you are pushing the Merlefest thing here...
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Learning - 09/23/15 08:25 PM
Quote:
I've listened to the Henley CD a few times now. I think it will be interesting to see how it is received. There will be a certain segment of his fan base that don't like it (too Country).

here in NC the people who were Henley fans in the 70s pretty much all moved on to country... so I think it will be well received here.

Quote:
There is nothing about it that "lights a new spark" to what is essentially a 90's Nashville sound. Which is a shame, because it did have the potential to get people to re-evaluate that... There are no real standout songs (IMO) like there typically are on a Henley record (although I really like "Words Can Break Your Heart").

I think in this case it isn't so much about something new as it is about reminding people that the past is worth holding onto. (And certainly not worth trading for something of lesser value.)

Henley has enough established fans... and so do the people who appeared on his CD... to make industry people sit up and take notice that there is still a market in baby boomers. If it even delays the move away from 90s country, then... mission accomplished?

Quote:
It's cool that you are pushing the Merlefest thing here...

I just think that there are multiple people on this forum who write MUCH better songs than the ones that have won this contest the past few years, and nothing would please me more than to see ALL of the prizes go to forum members in 2016. WE already know who writes the killer songs... the judges won't know unless y'all submit something!

Every song writer has his/her gem, the one they regard mostly highly. (Dang, Floyd.. you have a whole jewelry store full!)

35 bucks is chump change compared to the potential here.

With Taxi, people pay money (a lot more than $35) in HOPE that it will get forwarded to a decision maker. In this contest, the judges ARE decision-makers... so effectively, 100% of submissions will get through to somebody... in fact, to MULTIPLE somebodies... of industry standing.

So just by submitting one song, you are already ahead of the average TAXI member... you will have gotten one through!

I hope EVERYBODY here submits something. Oct 1st is when they start accepting submissions.

Sorry for hijacking your thread. But maybe a year from now your "people" will be intercepting all email, and I'll never be able to contact you again. ;-)
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Learning - 09/24/15 09:39 AM

Yep. That's the feel I'd be going for on the album cover so there would be no confusion between your 'real' country with modern country. I'm not sure why the polyester fad ever faded???

We've ordered the fabric - and the rhinestones smile

great song!

Thanks, Lawrence...

Originally Posted By: 90 dB

great song!

What he said. I really like the polyester suits too. Now that's Show Business! grin

Regards,

Bob

Thanks, Colonel! We always look to you for guidance... hoping to one day get that audition at "The Starmaker Machine"!!!!
Posted By: tommyad Re: Learning - 09/24/15 01:45 PM
Wow! This is right up my alley. The bass sounds great in this. The vocals are outstanding! Great write. The editing is super. Everything coming in when it should. Real classic jukebox tearjerker. I have listened several times and no doubt will listen several more. Tom
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Learning - 09/25/15 11:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri
Hello,

great song!!

great the background voice too.

Hello.

Sergio

Thank you, Sergio....

Originally Posted By: Skyline
A superb song Floyd, and perfectly delivered vocals. Love it.

John

Appreciate that, John.... good to see you!

Pat - thanks again for stopping by... all good points...it would be cool to see someone from here at least get to the finals...

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Wow! This is right up my alley. The bass sounds great in this. The vocals are outstanding! Great write. The editing is super. Everything coming in when it should. Real classic jukebox tearjerker. I have listened several times and no doubt will listen several more. Tom

Always pleased to have you come 'round for a listen, Tom... especially this time - we missed ya! Thanks!
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Learning - 09/27/15 11:18 PM
Floyd,
You are the "gold standard" for us. Another great production!
SD
Posted By: rsdean Re: Learning - 09/28/15 07:29 PM
Floyd,

You really nailed the vibe on this one... The combination of your vocal with Janice is perfect. Loved everything about it.

Bob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Learning - 09/29/15 09:55 AM
Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Floyd,
You are the "gold standard" for us. Another great production!
SD

That's nice of you to say, SD - thanks...

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

You really nailed the vibe on this one... The combination of your vocal with Janice is perfect. Loved everything about it.

Bob

Appreciate that, Bob... I do enjoy being able to have Janice singing along side...
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Learning - 09/30/15 10:25 AM
Janice grew up hearing this style of country and when in our bluegrass band we would frequently cover some of the old classic "tears in your beer songs" so being invited by floyd to participate in this project was very exciting. It was one of those projects that just seemed so natural to her that she commented after hearing it for the first time "I feel like I've been singing harmony on this song for years."

Bud

floyd, your ability to so well write and convincingly perform multiple genres is a rare gift. From modern country to old school country to jazz (In the City) to blues (The Con) to folk styles you've never failed to both please and surprise. This song is certainly no exception particularly in that for us this style requires a delivery that simply either "works" or it doesn't -- irrespective of how technically correct it might be.

There's a lot of heartfelt singing in all genres but there is just something special about this style of song. These are the ones that "rip the paint right off of your heart" and pull you deeply into the mood. And if you don't appreciate that, well, like you said from the get-go
"if you don't like hard-core Country... pick up your marbles and go home, 'cause you'll HATE this!"

We love it.

J&B
Posted By: SRP Re: Learning - 09/30/15 11:17 AM
Great vocals and music (that's what I like about BIAB also). Love your writing ability for you really have what it takes to capture all the moods of this song.
Sonny
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Learning - 10/01/15 08:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Janice grew up hearing this style of country and when in our bluegrass band we would frequently cover some of the old classic "tears in your beer songs" so being invited by floyd to participate in this project was very exciting. It was one of those projects that just seemed so natural to her that she commented after hearing it for the first time "I feel like I've been singing harmony on this song for years."

Bud

floyd, your ability to so well write and convincingly perform multiple genres is a rare gift. From modern country to old school country to jazz (In the City) to blues (The Con) to folk styles you've never failed to both please and surprise. This song is certainly no exception particularly in that for us this style requires a delivery that simply either "works" or it doesn't -- irrespective of how technically correct it might be.

There's a lot of heartfelt singing in all genres but there is just something special about this style of song. These are the ones that "rip the paint right off of your heart" and pull you deeply into the mood. And if you don't appreciate that, well, like you said from the get-go
"if you don't like hard-core Country... pick up your marbles and go home, 'cause you'll HATE this!"

We love it.

J&B

Y'all are too kind. Thanks for your continued support... And the incredible contribution to my music - I can't stress that enough...

Originally Posted By: SRP
Great vocals and music (that's what I like about BIAB also). Love your writing ability for you really have what it takes to capture all the moods of this song.
Sonny

Sonny - I appreciate you stopping in for a listen... and the nice comments
Posted By: Sundance Re: Learning - 10/02/15 12:28 AM
One of your best. Nostalgic, yet fresh and memorable.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Learning - 10/02/15 09:18 PM
Hi floyd,

I originally listened to “Learning” a couple of weeks ago. My very first thought at that time was, “Wow, he's done it again! How does he consistently manage to write so well, arrange so well, perform so well?” The reason that I can vividly recall thinking this is because I began writing comments as I listened and I'm staring at those comments in black and white in front of me this morning (Times New Roman, 12 pt).

In addition...

Those pickup notes that the piano plays to bring the band in with the introduction are a masterful arranging strategy as are the sustained chords and upwards walking bass in bar 4. To my ears, those two techniques that bookend the introduction very effectively underline what the tempo suggests, and this is that “Learning” is going to be a reflective, classic country journey. Clever. I have to hand it to you, you've really made those first four bars earn their place in your arrangement and work very effectively.

Then, as I listened, I started hearing perfect rhymes. I resisted the urge to have a look at the lyrics at this point because I wanted to feel that first impression of how you've used rhymes to lead the listener along the roadway that this song travels. First I heard thought/taught (accented by long notes), then I heard the alliteration and consonance with promised/proved with their same beginning and ending sounds. Lastly, my ears knew the end of verse 1 had been reached when when “fool” rhymed with “school”. This last rhyme pattern was also present in verse 2.

Later, when I looked at verse 1, the only rhyme that was obvious was school/fool. Interesting. I'm now pondering this as I type. It's not easy for me to decide on what the consistent rhyme scheme is between the two verses. As I see it, the verses parallel one another in that the halfway location of each verse's lyric rhymes with the end of the verse in perfect rhyme. Because the number of phrases vary and internal rhyme patterns vary between verses, the net result is that the conversational tone of the lyrics is enhanced. This is a strategy that I've now put into my toolbox! Thanks for the lesson.

I also liked the perfect rhymes found in the axaxaa rhyme scheme of the chorus. It's a very interesting rhyme scheme. I'm a fan of the asymmetry. While the end couplet closes the chorus effectively, the asymmetry enhances the emotionality of the lyrics. That's another thing for my toolbox!

As in some other lyrics you've written, you've approached these lyrics using the figure of speech called “apostrophe” where you're directly addressing an absent person. Every time you use this strategy, you leave me thinking that it's such a powerful lyric technique. It really is. I've got to use this more often!

There are lots of techniques to learn from this song floyd. It's a gold mine. I've picked up quite a bit. Thank you.

In so many ways, “Learning” is such a great song!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Learning - 10/02/15 10:24 PM
Well, pretty much everything has been said. This is just good stuff, Floyd! (I would never expect any less from you, especially when you have Janice backing you up.) I almost missed this one, due to my more than hectic schedule. Sure glad I got to hear it.

Steve
Posted By: DEddy Re: Learning - 10/03/15 09:16 AM
Just finished listening. Wow what a terrific job. GREAT vocal(s). All I can add is thank you.

DE
© PG Music Forums