PG Music Home
Posted By: Guitarhacker WRITE A HIT COUNTRY SONG - 09/22/15 12:43 PM
This a tongue in cheek look at the music business. I tried to nail all the major "bro country" references in verse 2 as is needed to have a hit song these days.

Been setting on this one for a few weeks as I tried to get the time to finish it up.

WRITE A HIT COUNTRY SONG

It was fun recording this.

Tracks are:

Bass: 519
Drums: Nashville even 8
Fill guitar: 1515

All other guitars are live...tele with various settings.
Solo is me.
Ending fill is me.
Electric rhythm is me.

I did a few things I don't normally do. I used....dare I say it?,,,,,,, compressors ... in a few of the tracks... guitar and vox.... to name a few. I also cranked the POD up to levels I have rarely used before..... oh my.... what's happening to me?

Enjoy and feel free to comment.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: WRITE A HIT COUNTRY SONG - 09/22/15 01:12 PM
Herb,

if you move this from soundclick to youtube, you might just go viral with this one! A lot of people would hear this song and send links to their friends etc etc

As far as passing as "bro country" though (and remember I'm not a guy who listens to much country) to my ears this is too good to be the new stuff. Yeah, your lyrics are hitting all the stereotypes... but you still have a melody... (something the new stuff seems to be getting away from)

And your groove makes me want to tap my foot, something that new country often times does not do (for me)

It might be an interesting project (much like Joanne's rhino project) to get a bunch of people to post their version of a bro country song.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: WRITE A HIT COUNTRY SONG - 09/22/15 02:33 PM
Loved it Herb. Excellent on every level and I'm thinking you really did write and record a "Hit Country Song"

Keep your rotary dial telephone connected, if not Travis Tritt's manager, it could well be David Allan Coe looking for the next perfect country song as a follow up to "You Never Even Called Me By My Name".

Enjoyed this one a lot.

Charlie
Posted By: PeterF Re: WRITE A HIT COUNTRY SONG - 09/22/15 05:29 PM
Liked that one a lot. Guitars sounded very nice and tastefully played.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: WRITE A HIT COUNTRY SONG - 09/22/15 06:02 PM
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Loved it Herb. Excellent on every level and I'm thinking you really did write and record a "Hit Country Song"

Keep your rotary dial telephone connected, if not Travis Tritt's manager, it could well be David Allan Coe looking for the next perfect country song as a follow up to "You Never Even Called Me By My Name".

Enjoyed this one a lot.

Charlie

Not likely to be David Allen Coe.... he's in a big heap of trouble with the IRS and is looking at quite a few years in a federal prison.... it'll give him time to write some new songs.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: WRITE A HIT COUNTRY SONG - 09/22/15 06:04 PM
Bro country! LOVE IT!!

Every cliche in every country song ever, arranged to tell a funny version of a story!

Lots of Telecaster?
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: WRITE A HIT COUNTRY SONG - 09/22/15 07:34 PM
Nothing not to like here. Oustanding. Great work sir.
Rob
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: WRITE A HIT COUNTRY SONG - 09/22/15 07:38 PM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Bro country! LOVE IT!!

Every cliche in every country song ever, arranged to tell a funny version of a story!

Lots of Telecaster?

I really wasn't paying attention to the cliches as I was writing since this is kind of tongue in cheek.....cliches work.... the more the better in this one......

but yes...100% telecaster.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: WRITE A HIT COUNTRY SONG - 09/22/15 07:42 PM
A great big hey and howdy to all who commented.... thanks for listening. I really do appreciate everyone who comments on my music.

I was almost tempted not to even finish this song since I wasn't very happy with it for quite some time.... but it's one of those cases where I pushed through to get it done and it turned out kinda fun.

I have 2 more tunes that are also in various states of disrepair. They were started about the same time.... and trust me when I say...they're nothing at all like this.

Hopefully, I will get the time to work them up as well. Still got some lyrical nits to work out....
Posted By: ovation99 Re: WRITE A HIT COUNTRY SONG - 09/23/15 09:11 AM
OMG, there is SOOOO much talent on this forum and you Sir are approaching the top of the list.

Love the fun lyrics and the Tele playing fits perfectly.

More, more more please.

Al Woodall
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: WRITE A HIT COUNTRY SONG - 09/23/15 10:16 AM
Originally Posted By: ovation99
OMG, there is SOOOO much talent on this forum and you Sir are approaching the top of the list.

Love the fun lyrics and the Tele playing fits perfectly.

More, more more please.

Al Woodall

Thank you Al for your kind words. I'm glad you like this song.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: WRITE A HIT COUNTRY SONG - 09/23/15 10:37 AM
Herb,

This is the best thing you've ever done. The write is good. Although you are using the "current Country catch phrases" they are not written in cliché way. There is a difference between a cliché and "cliché writing". There is actually a good amount of "freedom" to the writing here. It all works.

Same goes for your vocal in this. You sing this one like you mean it - like you are having some fun.

Production is excellent throughout. Excellent guitar work.

Well done.

floyd
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: WRITE A HIT COUNTRY SONG - 09/23/15 11:28 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Herb,

This is the best thing you've ever done. The write is good. Although you are using the "current Country catch phrases" they are not written in cliché way. There is a difference between a cliché and "cliché writing". There is actually a good amount of "freedom" to the writing here. It all works.

Same goes for your vocal in this. You sing this one like you mean it - like you are having some fun.

Production is excellent throughout. Excellent guitar work.

Well done.

floyd

Considering the source, an esteemed writer of great country tunes... I am humbled by your comments. Thank you.
Posted By: boehm Re: WRITE A HIT COUNTRY SONG - 09/23/15 11:57 AM
Hi Herb,

your concept works. You have written a hit country song.
Like the live guitars a lot.
Enjoyable listen.

Guenter
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: WRITE A HIT COUNTRY SONG - 09/23/15 06:43 PM
You nailed it!! Playful and silly but not corny. Your vocal was perfect, and the arrangement was engaging. Wonderful song about writing a song! Take care. Greg
Posted By: tommyad Re: WRITE A HIT COUNTRY SONG - 09/24/15 01:21 PM
Oh Yeah, This is the real deal! Love your tele playing. Some very cool licks in there. The vocals sound great. The write is among your best and the production is outstanding. Great listen and congrats on the TV placements. Tom
Posted By: 44kfl Re: WRITE A HIT COUNTRY SONG - 09/24/15 04:56 PM
Tasty guitar licks! This flows and kicks right along. It does sound like you're having fun, mix sounds great.

Kenny
Posted By: gruverider Re: WRITE A HIT COUNTRY SONG - 09/24/15 07:33 PM
Again, just a super write!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: WRITE A HIT COUNTRY SONG - 09/24/15 08:10 PM
Thanks to everyone.... appreciate the comments.... again thanks.
Posted By: Sundance Re: WRITE A HIT COUNTRY SONG - 09/24/15 09:59 PM
LOL! Terrific Herb.
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: WRITE A HIT COUNTRY SONG - 09/25/15 03:53 PM
Hello,

I like your song and above all the setting of
the guitar.

Great voice and guitar solo.

Hello.
Sergio
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: WRITE A HIT COUNTRY SONG - 09/25/15 04:05 PM
Sundance & Sergio.....

glad you like this.

Thanks for dropping in for a listen
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: WRITE A HIT COUNTRY SONG - 09/27/15 11:27 PM
Herb,
This great! Really made me laugh. You got to love dreamers, though.
SD
© PG Music Forums