PG Music Home
Posted By: tommyad Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/24/15 05:33 PM
Ok, Where was I? I’m trying to remember what I was working on. I had to take care of some business which required my full attention. But now I’m back and ready to resume. Life is definitely better when accompanied by music. My apologies for not commenting on the great songs that were posted while I was away. I will go back and listen but I will not bump them to the first page so I don’t disrupt the natural flow.

Comments and Suggestions encouraged. Tom

http://tommyadamsmusic.com/music

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13218306

My Vocals and guitars

Multiple Loops

RealTracks in song: 2448:Guitar, Electric, Background, PopDreamyBrent Ev 085

PG Percussion Loop- Conga

Damn It Sure Is Hot

I used to check the weather by looking at the sky

Now i just check out my phone and I don’t go outside

They say the weather’s changing whether it is or not

one thing I can tell you Damn it sure is hot

Damn It sure is hot out here it’s hard to take a breath

Mother Nature’s warning us I think she’s scared to death

This is all we’ve got

My wife says her prayers every night while I just fall asleep

Thanks the Lord above us all and prays our souls to keep

She’ll put a word in for me since I don’t take the time

God please say we’re not too late since we ignored the signs

Damn It sure is hot out here it’s hard to take a breath

This is all we’ve got

©2015 Thomas Adams
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/24/15 07:28 PM
Damn! That song sure is hot!

Loved the dynamics, and the natural feel you achieved by playing much of the song yourself! In so doing, you were able to create recurring themes on multiple tracks that held everything together better than glue!

I envy your intellect Tommy. Meeting you in person allowed me to witness the depth of thought that is an integral part of who you are and how you address life and your music.

You always manage to write music that is immediately likeable, and this was no exception. Clever word pictures interwoven with equally clever intertwined guitar passages to create an end result that is every bit as much mood as it is melody...

Indeed, that song is hot!
Posted By: PeterF Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/24/15 07:58 PM
Damn it sure was good.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/24/15 08:08 PM
That sounds gooooood!!!!

Are there RT's in that?

Things I hear tell me no.... but IDK.

Nice writing too.

Acoustic sounds superb as does the vocals..... and everything else too.

That's the level of professionalism in the sound that everyone should aspire to achieve.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/24/15 09:08 PM
My favorite from you. Enjoyed this from start to finish. Missed you while you were away from the forum but this is a great comeback song.

Charlie
Posted By: tommyad Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/24/15 11:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Damn! That song sure is hot!

Loved the dynamics, and the natural feel you achieved by playing much of the song yourself! In so doing, you were able to create recurring themes on multiple tracks that held everything together better than glue!

I envy your intellect Tommy. Meeting you in person allowed me to witness the depth of thought that is an integral part of who you are and how you address life and your music.

You always manage to write music that is immediately likeable, and this was no exception. Clever word pictures interwoven with equally clever intertwined guitar passages to create an end result that is every bit as much mood as it is melody...

Indeed, that song is hot!
Pat, you leave me at a loss for words. You have a way of saying things that just stop me in my tracks. So I will just say glad you liked it. Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Damn it sure was good.
Thanks for listening and commenting. Tom
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
That sounds gooooood!!!!

Are there RT's in that?

Things I hear tell me no.... but IDK.

Nice writing too.

Acoustic sounds superb as does the vocals..... and everything else too.

That's the level of professionalism in the sound that everyone should aspire to achieve.
Thanks Herb. The dreamy guitar real track referenced above is in the choruses and a couple of fill spots. The vast majority is loops. The real tracks can work well with layered loops and I originally had more but I ended up deleting them because it was getting way too busy. Glad you liked it. Tom
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/25/15 01:18 AM
I really appreciate lyric writing like this. Both literal and symbolic. Nice work.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/25/15 06:24 AM
Hey Tommy. You are the master my friend.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/25/15 07:48 AM
Love the guitar work Tommy.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/25/15 08:12 AM
Dang, I should be using your tune as a reference track for my mixing endeavors! It is magnificently mixed and just sounds great. Wonderful dynamics, just pro from top to bottom.

Mighty fine lyrics, too.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/25/15 09:49 AM
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
My favorite from you. Enjoyed this from start to finish. Missed you while you were away from the forum but this is a great comeback song.

Charlie

Hey Charlie, Glad to be back. Thanks for the nice words. Tom
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
I really appreciate lyric writing like this. Both literal and symbolic. Nice work.
Eddie, I'm glad you liked the lyrics. I tried to keep it simple. By now everyone should realize we have a big problem with the environment. Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Hey Tommy. You are the master my friend.
Thanks Rob, I like to think I am the master of my own universe, but sometimes it doesn't work out like that! Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Love the guitar work Tommy.

Regards,

Bob
Bob, As much as I would like to take credit for all the guitar parts, a lot of it is loops - especially the really cool parts. I just figure whatever gets you there. Thanks, Tom
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/25/15 12:01 PM
This is one of the best songs I've heard in a LONG time.

I'm NOT talking just on the forum. I want this to be on the radio - so I can anxiously wait for the next time it will play.

There are a lot of good productions that come through here (the forum). This may be THE best. EVER.

The songwriting is perfect. Perfect. I do not say that lightly.

"Damn It sure is hot out here it’s hard to take a breath
This is all we’ve got
Damn it sure is hot"

Perfect. I wish I had written that. (Truly something I do not say lightly).

"My wife says her prayers every night while I just fall asleep
God please say we’re not too late since we ignored the signs"

Ditto. (see above)

The opening acoustics are stunning. Did you play that? or parts of that? If loops, where did they come from???

Tasty guitar licks ALL OVER THE PLACE!!! Are any of those loops? or all you?

You did not list a RealDrum... when the full kit comes in, what is that?

Your best vocal ever! Jimmy Buffett needs this song, but it would be second best (vocal).

What a nice ending! The cymbal roll... where did that come from.

You need to be pitching this. Again, something I do not say lightly - because it is almost an impossible endeavor these days. But THIS should be on the radio. And you deserve to make a bunch of money from this.

A perfectly built production. A perfectly built SONG (lyric AND melody)! A true lesson in "how it is done".
(I would LOVE to see a snapshot of your DAW screen!)

Tom, take this WOW!!! and blow it up 10 feet tall.

floyd
Posted By: boehm Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/25/15 12:05 PM
Hi Tommy,

great song. Like the lyrics and the performance.
Especially the vocals.
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/25/15 12:05 PM
OK, I should have written what Floyd did! But, as usual, he uses words to better effect that I do.
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/25/15 03:48 PM
Hello,

nice song very relaxing.
I like the chords you used.
Great voice and melody on the base.

Hello.

Sergio.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/25/15 03:55 PM
Quote:
You need to be pitching this. Again, something I do not say lightly - because it is almost an impossible endeavor these days. But THIS should be on the radio. And you deserve to make a bunch of money from this.

It may be worth mentioning that there are other music markets besides Nashville. Niche markets don't get near the number of submissions as the mainstream places.

In the same sense that Josie will probably succeed in marketing all the rhino songs to a rhino conservation group, there are probably a BUNCH of environmental groups who would license a song like this for ads. They might even get behind it and push for air time in order to promote awareness.

In short, there is life beyond Nashville. And therein (niche/special interest groups) lies the best chance for people like us to market our songs.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/25/15 05:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Kemmrich
Dang, I should be using your tune as a reference track for my mixing endeavors! It is magnificently mixed and just sounds great. Wonderful dynamics, just pro from top to bottom.

Mighty fine lyrics, too.
Most of the credit for the sound should go to the whoever recorded the loops. I am glad you came by and commented Kevin, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/25/15 05:17 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
This is one of the best songs I've heard in a LONG time.

I'm NOT talking just on the forum. I want this to be on the radio - so I can anxiously wait for the next time it will play.

There are a lot of good productions that come through here (the forum). This may be THE best. EVER.

The songwriting is perfect. Perfect. I do not say that lightly.

"Damn It sure is hot out here it’s hard to take a breath
This is all we’ve got
Damn it sure is hot"

Perfect. I wish I had written that. (Truly something I do not say lightly).

"My wife says her prayers every night while I just fall asleep
God please say we’re not too late since we ignored the signs"

Ditto. (see above)

The opening acoustics are stunning. Did you play that? or parts of that? If loops, where did they come from???

Tasty guitar licks ALL OVER THE PLACE!!! Are any of those loops? or all you?

You did not list a RealDrum... when the full kit comes in, what is that?

Your best vocal ever! Jimmy Buffett needs this song, but it would be second best (vocal).

What a nice ending! The cymbal roll... where did that come from.

A perfectly built production. A perfectly built SONG (lyric AND melody)! A true lesson in "how it is done".
(I would LOVE to see a snapshot of your DAW screen!)

Tom, take this WOW!!! and blow it up 10 feet tall.

floyd
First of all, I want to make this perfectly clear. The majority of this is a full band loop that was sliced, diced and spliced to make an arrangement. All the really cool stuff was already there. All I did was add some guitar parts and I used the dreamy guitar Brent real track in the choruses. The acoustics are Apple loops and I used a stereo spread so they kind of phase back and forth across the field. The drums are part of the full band loop. I thought the vocal was a bit pitchy in spots but as I have said many times before my vocal chops are limited. Because the loops were so well recorded a lot of the hard stuff was already taken care of. That’s the beauty of loops and Real Tracks. All we have to do is work up a viable arrangement then put the final touches in the mix. Thanks for the over the top comments about the write. It can’t be much more simple than that. Again I really want to stress that the chorus was a full band loop that only required being dropped in the right spot. The loops were put together in Garageband and then exported as one stereo track to Logic where everything else was done. Thank you for taking the time to write this best ever review. Tom
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/25/15 08:07 PM
Hey Tom,

Like you, I've been absent from the forum for a bit. To come back to this, wow! After reading what you've written above in reply to floyd, I'm amazed at what loops can do in the hands of competence.

As everyone (without exception) before me has said, this is fantastic. Songwriting and song-presentation doesn't get any better than this anywhere.

Such talent is obviously not a surname thing. How I wish it were smile

All the best,
Noel

Posted By: gruverider Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/25/15 08:47 PM
Wow! just wow. This is a great song! The lyrics are flawless, tight, work on more than one level!

Wonderful

and your vocals are perfect for this style and melodic cadence
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/25/15 09:34 PM
Damn, that sure is HOT!!! I fell in love from the first guitar groove in the intro, and fell deeper with each note/word. Some songs (not many) sound like hits, some are just great songs, and very, very few are both, but THIS IS!! Wonderfully natural, expressive vocal and a really profound, unpretentious lyric that has heart and bite. Absolutely love the second set of verses. You have really found your voice. Amazing work!! I'm in awe! Take care. Greg
Posted By: rharv Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/25/15 10:33 PM
Nice work
I was impressed. Thanks for sharing.
I enjoyed it, 'nuff said.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/26/15 09:18 AM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Tommy,

great song. Like the lyrics and the performance.
Especially the vocals.
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter
Thanks a lot Guenter. I appreciate it. Tom
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri
Hello,

nice song very relaxing.
I like the chords you used.
Great voice and melody on the base.

Hello.

Sergio.
Thanks, Serg. I'm glad you stopped by. Tom
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hey Tom,

Like you, I've been absent from the forum for a bit. To come back to this, wow! After reading what you've written above in reply to floyd, I'm amazed at what loops can do in the hands of competence.

As everyone (without exception) before me has said, this is fantastic. Songwriting and song-presentation doesn't get any better than this anywhere.

Such talent is obviously not a surname thing. How I wish it were smile

All the best,
Noel

Hey Brother Adams, I always look forward to your comments on the writing. Thanks for these. It means more to me than I can say. Tom
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Wow! just wow. This is a great song! The lyrics are flawless, tight, work on more than one level!

Wonderful

and your vocals are perfect for this style and melodic cadence
To read these comments from a great songwriter like yourself is something special. Thanks Gruve. Tom
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/27/15 01:14 PM
Add me to the list of endorsers, this is an all around top notch song! love the rhythmic feel, great lyrics. Your performance was very good. Excellent mix, what else can I say, I like it!

Kenny
Posted By: tommyad Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/28/15 01:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Damn, that sure is HOT!!! I fell in love from the first guitar groove in the intro, and fell deeper with each note/word. Some songs (not many) sound like hits, some are just great songs, and very, very few are both, but THIS IS!! Wonderfully natural, expressive vocal and a really profound, unpretentious lyric that has heart and bite. Absolutely love the second set of verses. You have really found your voice. Amazing work!! I'm in awe! Take care. Greg
Greg, I want to thank you for giving me such great reviews and for your continued encouragement. I may have mentioned this before but you were my inspiration to concentrate on greater clarity in the vocals. I surely can't sing like you but I can try and steal some of your processing tricks. Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: rharv
Nice work
I was impressed. Thanks for sharing.
I enjoyed it, 'nuff said.
rharv, Thank you. I'm glad you came by for a listen. Thanks for taking the time to comment. Tom
Posted By: rsdean Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/28/15 07:19 PM
Tom,

This is really excellent. You have a real feel and vibe for these types of songs - great job.

Bob
Posted By: gibson Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/29/15 04:25 AM
Tom,

Damn that sure was a hot song, everything about that was ecellent.

I listened to it as I saw the Blood red moon so it was a PERFECT backdrop to that sight
. Altho it was more orange so maybe the world isn't gonna implode and end.....maybe grin

great song

Alyn
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/29/15 11:15 AM
Tom,

All the superlatives have been grabbed. You are too modest
regarding the melding of your playing, the RT, your vocal
and the loops. It takes a visionary approach to do this and
that trumps whatever difficulty there may or may not be
in pulling it off. The end result shines and sings!

As with all your songs you have a way of writing themes
that are profound yet at the same time are subtle and work
on as Lawrence said "more than one level."

And this song is one of your best expressions of that talent.

Well done!!

J&B
Posted By: tommyad Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/30/15 10:44 AM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Add me to the list of endorsers, this is an all around top notch song! love the rhythmic feel, great lyrics. Your performance was very good. Excellent mix, what else can I say, I like it!

Kenny
Kenny, Thanks for coming by. I'm glad you liked it. Tom
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Tom,

This is really excellent. You have a real feel and vibe for these types of songs - great job.

Bob
Hey Bob. I'm always glad to see you around. Thanks for the nice words. Tom
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 09/30/15 09:44 PM
Tom,

This is one of your best! Great sound. Your vocals always sound good to me. Very well written. I live in South Texas, and know a little bit about heat! smile

Enjoyed this!

Steve
Posted By: Icelander Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 10/01/15 12:30 AM
Very creative use of the artificial to make this whole piece sound organic. And just to bead that long-dead horse: It's hot! wink

p.s. Is there a way to adjust the volume of your songs on your main page?
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 10/01/15 01:01 AM
I still can't look at you and NOT see T Bone Wolk (RIP). I have a DVD of the tribute Daryl Hall paid to his dear friend T-Bone after he passed. "The Guy With The Hat" as they called him. You are the spittin' image!
Posted By: SRP Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 10/01/15 02:15 PM
Solid song! Enjoyed it!
Sonny
Posted By: Sundance Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 10/01/15 11:29 PM
You really caught a vibe on this one. Cool song on such a hot topic.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 10/02/15 10:15 AM
Originally Posted By: gibson
Tom,

Damn that sure was a hot song, everything about that was ecellent.

I listened to it as I saw the Blood red moon so it was a PERFECT backdrop to that sight
. Altho it was more orange so maybe the world isn't gonna implode and end.....maybe grin

great song

Alyn
Alyn, Thanks for commenting. I can't guarantee that the sun is going to come up every day, but I sure am glad when it does. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 10/02/15 10:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Tom,

All the superlatives have been grabbed. You are too modest
regarding the melding of your playing, the RT, your vocal
and the loops. It takes a visionary approach to do this and
that trumps whatever difficulty there may or may not be
in pulling it off. The end result shines and sings!

As with all your songs you have a way of writing themes
that are profound yet at the same time are subtle and work
on as Lawrence said "more than one level."

And this song is one of your best expressions of that talent.

Well done!!

J&B

You certainly have a way of putting words together that make me smile. Without fail you two have continued to support me and lift my spirits. Thank You for such wonderful comments. Tom
Posted By: RnAM Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 10/02/15 08:58 PM
Hi Tommy,

For some reason the intro and verse of the song reminds us of 'the only living boy in New York' of Paul Simon. And then of course there is the John Hiatt sound ;-)
Cool guitar playing! and we definitely love the Brent Dreamy RT!

Another winner.

Rob & Anne-Marie
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 10/03/15 10:14 AM
Tommy,
I wasn't expecting a song about climate change but you sure nailed it. Very good song and performance.
One comment about the lyric.
"Mother Nature’s warning us I think she’s scared to death"
In my business, I think about weather, climate, and the Earth everyday. I often wonder if "Mother Nature" is benevolent or vindictive. I wonder whether she would be "scared to death" for us. However, we should be scared for us.
In any case, it's definitely "not nice to fool with Mother Nature"

SpaceDog
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 10/03/15 01:59 PM
Absolutely LOVE this. Great song, great mix, great everything. Wonderful arrangement and stellar vocals.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 10/04/15 09:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Tom,

This is one of your best! Great sound. Your vocals always sound good to me. Very well written. I live in South Texas, and know a little bit about heat! smile

Enjoyed this!

Steve
Steve, Yes it sure is hot there as well! My wife was born down in the valley and it can be blistering along the border. Thanks for the nice words. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 10/04/15 09:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Icelander
Very creative use of the artificial to make this whole piece sound organic. And just to bead that long-dead horse: It's hot! wink

p.s. Is there a way to adjust the volume of your songs on your main page?
Thanks for the comments. And no the volume is fixed. Tom
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
I still can't look at you and NOT see T Bone Wolk (RIP). I have a DVD of the tribute Daryl Hall paid to his dear friend T-Bone after he passed. "The Guy With The Hat" as they called him. You are the spittin' image!
Eddie, i had to look him up. Quite the resume. That TV show Live at Darryl's is really good. Tom
Originally Posted By: SRP
Solid song! Enjoyed it!
Sonny
Hey Sonny, Good to see you made it by for a listen. Glad you liked it. Tom
Posted By: dcuny Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 10/04/15 07:35 PM
Wow.

It's got a "Snuffy" Walden sort of 30-something vibe to it. Sweeet.

I hate preachy songs.

Love this song. laugh
Posted By: tommyad Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 10/05/15 09:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
You really caught a vibe on this one. Cool song on such a hot topic.
Josie, Thanks for funny comment. Tom
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Tommy,

For some reason the intro and verse of the song reminds us of 'the only living boy in New York' of Paul Simon. And then of course there is the John Hiatt sound ;-)
Cool guitar playing! and we definitely love the Brent Dreamy RT!

Another winner.

Rob & Anne-Marie

R&A-M, Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.
Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Tommy,
I wasn't expecting a song about climate change but you sure nailed it. Very good song and performance.
One comment about the lyric.
"Mother Nature’s warning us I think she’s scared to death"
In my business, I think about weather, climate, and the Earth everyday. I often wonder if "Mother Nature" is benevolent or vindictive. I wonder whether she would be "scared to death" for us. However, we should be scared for us.
In any case, it's definitely "not nice to fool with Mother Nature"

SpaceDog
Thanks for the nice comments. I will plead artistic license and leave the interpretation up to the listener. We could get into a big science vs art debate over that line. In the end if it gets you thinking then it did it's job. Thanks again, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 10/06/15 12:29 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Absolutely LOVE this. Great song, great mix, great everything. Wonderful arrangement and stellar vocals.
David, Thanks so much for the wonderful review. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Damn It Sure Is Hot - 10/06/15 12:31 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Wow.

It's got a "Snuffy" Walden sort of 30-something vibe to it. Sweeet.

I hate preachy songs.

Love this song. laugh
Ah hah, Snuffy, the second most recorded guitarist/composer on TV behind Mike Post. Thanks for the nice comment. Tom
© PG Music Forums