PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/18/15 10:32 AM
Unrequited love.

The Band:

Style is _FPBNTBA.STY (Pop Ballad 2FingerpkGuits [85RS])

RealTracks in style: ~701:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesSync Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 1728:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopBalladJohn Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~365:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~2200:Guitar, Nylon, Background CountryBrent Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 378:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming DoubleTime Ev 088
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2058:Strings, Rhythm CelticAir Ev 085

RealDrums in Song: NashvilleBrushesCountryPopEv16: a: Sidestick, Brushes b: Brushes
RealDrums in Song: BossaBrushesPerc^1-a:Congas, No Kit , b:Congas, Shaker, Triangle, No Kit

A CERTAIN WOMAN'S HEART

i've walked my way across mexico
safaried the african plains
sailed the mediterranean
seen most of hemingway's spain
i've got the money i need, the life that i want
a ticket, a pack, a chart
the only thing that escapes me
a certain woman's heart

a certain woman's heart
   shouldn't be so hard to win
   others have fallen
   time and again
   it can drive a man crazy
   tear him apart
   when his happiness is hanging
   by a certain woman's heart

i've made love to women around the world
danced with as many more
i know i'm not the only man
leaving flowers at her door
caught between a "yes" and "no"
where do you start
what i wouldn't give to have
a certain woman's heart

a certain woman's heart
   shouldn't be so hard to win
   others have fallen
   time and again
   it can drive a man crazy
   tear him apart
   when his happiness is hanging
   by a certain woman's heart

Comments encouraged.
Have at it.

floyd
Posted By: boehm Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/18/15 12:10 PM
Hi Floyd,

a typical homogeneous, flawless, completely rounded Floyd song.
Very beautiful. I'm still enjoying my nth listen.

Guenter
Posted By: ROG Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/18/15 12:23 PM
Hi Floyd.

Any part of this that's auto-biographical, then?

Been missing from the forum for a while and forgotten just how professional you can be.

Great storyline, all wrapped up in a super backing with a heart-felt vocal delivery. What's not to like?

ROG.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/18/15 12:37 PM
Nice song... but that bass line bugs me. Doesn't seem to flow quite right in a few spots.
Posted By: MarioD Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/18/15 01:27 PM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Floyd,

Guenter

A BIG +1

If I heard this at a record/CD shop I would have bought it right then.

You are a pro all the way.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/18/15 03:25 PM
Beautiful write, super harmonies, love the hook line. Of what I've heard of yours this sounds a little different, probably the percussion choice, very nice. This flows so smoothly, great choice of instruments. "Seen most of Hemingway's Spain" love that line. I like it a lot!

Kenny
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/18/15 05:24 PM
Hey Floyd. You just keep excelling yourself with each song.
Thanks for listing buddy. Rob
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/18/15 05:48 PM
This one sits nicely in the Floyd Jane signature hit template. No two are ever alike but each song has a unique something that immediately marks it a Floyd Jane production.

You give us something comfortable to hang on to even when we journey with you into uncomfortable subjects. That is a particularly good talent to have and easily keeps you in the top 1% of lyricists and storytellers here on the forum.

Enjoyed this one a lot.

Charlie
Posted By: RnAM Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/18/15 08:21 PM
Hi Floyd,

Yes, another cool ballad with that typical Floyd signature.
Professional arrangement, very good choice of RTs, and of course beautiful vocal and backing vocals (TC Helicon?)

Rob and Anne-Marie

PS in our opinion nothing wrong with the bass smile
Posted By: RichMac Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/19/15 02:57 AM
Very nice Floyd. Sounds a touch Jimmy Buffet to me. Smooth. Cheers.
Posted By: gibson Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/19/15 04:52 AM
floyd
Quote:
sailed the mediterranean

What a set of lyrics to start a song!
This is up to your normal professional standard with beautiful singing and an excellent production.

to paraphrase your closing remark
Keep at it laugh

Alyn
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/19/15 09:27 AM
Hi Floyd,

Guenter

Guenter - thanks for that very nice review....

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd.

Any part of this that's auto-biographical, then?

Been missing from the forum for a while and forgotten just how professional you can be.

Great storyline, all wrapped up in a super backing with a heart-felt vocal delivery. What's not to like?

ROG.

Thanks, ROG - nice to see ya around...

This is written about a guy that we backpacked with - around the Yucatan Peninsula - in 1981... And the woman who was "over him". The 4 of us slept on the beach in Tulum for 4 days (over New Years) - before there was ANYTHING there One of the best 2 weeks ever. After we got home, they split up...

Tulum is now 9 miles of resorts - we went back there last year for a vacation (luxury this time). That was a good week, too...
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/19/15 10:26 AM
floyd, That beach under the Ruins in Tulum is one of the prettiest places I've ever seen. I have been there several times. This is another gorgeous production and write. There is great melancholy and beauty in this song. I had to listen many times to the fourth chord in the intro. There is a clash with the bass and guitar that at first sounded quite odd, but I have grown to like it as it sets a tension up to dive into the 1 chord for the beginning of the 1st verse. I don't hear that one off note when that bar is repeated during the verse as the guitar plays the chord in a different position. I know this is being really picky. I know you are a perfectionist and I'll bet this didn't go unnoticed. So did you also grow to like way the intro hung on that clashing chord before it resolved? I hope these comments don't detract from the fact that I really love the song and am going back for more. All these words about one little chord choice. What the hell is wrong with me? Another Great Song! Tom
Posted By: 90 dB Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/19/15 11:04 AM
Another fj keeper! A departure from your usual, but a nice one.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/19/15 01:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Nice song... but that bass line bugs me. Doesn't seem to flow quite right in a few spots.

Originally Posted By: tommyad
floyd, That beach under the Ruins in Tulum is one of the prettiest places I've ever seen. I have been there several times. This is another gorgeous production and write. There is great melancholy and beauty in this song. I had to listen many times to the fourth chord in the intro. There is a clash with the bass and guitar that at first sounded quite odd, but I have grown to like it as it sets a tension up to dive into the 1 chord for the beginning of the 1st verse. I don't hear that one off note when that bar is repeated during the verse as the guitar plays the chord in a different position. I know this is being really picky. I know you are a perfectionist and I'll bet this didn't go unnoticed. So did you also grow to like way the intro hung on that clashing chord before it resolved? I hope these comments don't detract from the fact that I really love the song and am going back for more. All these words about one little chord choice. What the hell is wrong with me? Another Great Song! Tom

I assume you are both talking about the same thing.

Tom, you defined it exactly. It is a clash between the bass and fingerpick guitar. The sequence of chords is:

E E/D# C#m7 C#m7/B (then to A)

I wanted the bass walkdown all the way. The problem is that fingerpick guitars will not play that C#m7/B (they don't play the B bass)... So it clashes with the bass - which is playing the B...

I had listened long enough (generally keying on the bass) that I got used to it.

I have changed the bass line to not play that B.

Posted By: SRP Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/19/15 01:15 PM
I like the smoothness of your vocals and the band put me in the right mood for this song. Very enjoyable.
Sonny
Posted By: Elliott Kayne Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/19/15 06:55 PM
Nice lyric, great mix, good song, good vocals, nice use of real tracks. Great Work!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/19/15 09:16 PM
One of my favorites ever from one of my favorites ever!! Beautifully done. I love songs that are reflective and poetic. This one hangs in there with the greats of Jimmy Webb, Floyd. It is just a pleasure to listen to. From an art of songwriting perspective, this is a wonderful lesson. It is crafted by a fine artisan with each word and note placed with tenderness and care. Absolutely love it!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/20/15 08:28 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

I assume you are both talking about the same thing.

Tom, you defined it exactly. It is a clash between the bass and fingerpick guitar. The sequence of chords is:

E E/D# C#m7 C#m7/B (then to A)

I wanted the bass walkdown all the way. The problem is that fingerpick guitars will not play that C#m7/B (they don't play the B bass)... So it clashes with the bass - which is playing the B...

I had listened long enough (generally keying on the bass) that I got used to it.

I have changed the bass line to not play that B.

Yes, the assumption was correct. After the fix, it does flow better. I've run into a few times where I had 2 tracks that sounded perfectly fine by themselves. Put them into a mix and there was a conflict that sounded like a mistake was made in the tracks somewhere. Tracking those kinds of glitches down are the proverbial needle in the haystack kind of search at times. Generally muting one of them fixes it but when it's a bass or other major part, the only solution is to re-do the part correctly.

Good job on the song BTW.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/20/15 09:08 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Hi Floyd,

Guenter

A BIG +1

If I heard this at a record/CD shop I would have bought it right then.

You are a pro all the way.

Thanks, Mario - you are always so kind....

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Beautiful write, super harmonies, love the hook line. Of what I've heard of yours this sounds a little different, probably the percussion choice, very nice. This flows so smoothly, great choice of instruments. "Seen most of Hemingway's Spain" love that line. I like it a lot!

Kenny

Thanks, Kenny. Appreciate all that.

I'm surprised that there has not been more mention of the percussion. The BossaBrushesPerc works nicely with other drum kits (the more subtle ones, at least) - so it's a good way to add some extra flavor to a production. James Taylor productions do that on occasion. The nylon guitar is a super track, too - which works in many different scenarios...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/20/15 09:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Hey Floyd. You just keep excelling yourself with each song.
Thanks for listing buddy. Rob

Thanks, Rob...
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/21/15 01:46 AM
Been absent from the forum for a while, again, so slowly catching and starting from the top gave me all the motivation I need. Great write Floyd and your productions keep getting better and better (if that is possible!)
Loved it!
Posted By: aleck rand Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/21/15 01:53 AM
Floyd,

I read with interest about a "clash" in a familiar, straightforward chord sequence. Here's an easy to finger C#m7/B. In the picture below, the circled area is a C#mi triad, with the little finger playing B in the bass. So C#mi/B is C#m7/B with the mi 7 in the bass. Possibly this could be useful. Good tune.

Dean

Attached picture Csmi7B.jpg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/21/15 06:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
This one sits nicely in the Floyd Jane signature hit template. No two are ever alike but each song has a unique something that immediately marks it a Floyd Jane production.

You give us something comfortable to hang on to even when we journey with you into uncomfortable subjects. That is a particularly good talent to have and easily keeps you in the top 1% of lyricists and storytellers here on the forum.

Enjoyed this one a lot.

Charlie

Charlie - I really enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for that...

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Floyd,

Yes, another cool ballad with that typical Floyd signature.
Professional arrangement, very good choice of RTs, and of course beautiful vocal and backing vocals (TC Helicon?)

Rob and Anne-Marie

PS in our opinion nothing wrong with the bass smile

Thanks, y'all! Appreciate that....

Originally Posted By: RichMac
Very nice Floyd. Sounds a touch Jimmy Buffet to me. Smooth. Cheers.

Thanks, Richard. I was listening to JB before most of the world had heard of him, so there is bound to be a bit pop up now and then...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/22/15 12:13 PM
Originally Posted By: gibson
floyd
Quote:
sailed the mediterranean

What a set of lyrics to start a song!
This is up to your normal professional standard with beautiful singing and an excellent production.

to paraphrase your closing remark
Keep at it laugh

Alyn

Thanks, Alyn. If only all "start lyrics" would come as easily as those did... they sort of just "fell outta somewhere"...(they did come from Buzz's stories - he actually did all that stuff...)

Originally Posted By: tommyad

Tom - I mentioned earlier that I have changed the bass line to not walk down to the B, since the fingerpick guitar would not do it - and so clashed because it stayed on the C#... should have done it to start with, but you know how easy it is to "move on"...

When we were in Tulum in '81, the ruins weren't a tourist site (as they are now) - they were "just there" to walk around if you wanted... we camped in pup tents on the cliffs above the beach about a half mile south... there was a small thatched "gazebo" with a grill where some guy would cook whatever fish the locals caught that day - each night for dinner - our one meal each day, since there was nothing else there... heaven - best grouper I've ever had in my life! It would be tough to find anything like it anywhere in the world anymore...

Posted By: aleck rand Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/22/15 12:33 PM
Thanks so much Floyd for your comment on Law and Order. It's much appreciated.

Now, what I was really hoping to hear is the workaround chord I suggested in the diagram turned out to be useful. Of course, whether that particular voicing will work inside the song is your call. As far as the "clash" goes, I don't hear it because my ears are used to hearing, say, the mi7 played by the bass. You can walk the bass all the way down just as it stands. I'm really not sure what folks are hearing, only that it isn't familiar.

Dean
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/22/15 01:17 PM
A well written, well-performed tune. I've used that same perc realdrum in conjunction with another drum set -- it works very nicely in certain situations, like this one here.

In any case, another super song, excellent! You have a way with words that very few do.

P.S. I was on the later side to Jimmy Buffet, didn't find out about him until Living and Dying in 3/4 Time. But White Sports Coat, 3/4 Time and A1A were a major part of my mis-spent youth. I started drifting away from his albums after Changes in Attitudes, though. My friend got his first Nashville album at some point in time back then.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/23/15 04:24 PM
Originally Posted By: aleck rand
Thanks so much Floyd for your comment on Law and Order. It's much appreciated.

Now, what I was really hoping to hear is the workaround chord I suggested in the diagram turned out to be useful. Of course, whether that particular voicing will work inside the song is your call. As far as the "clash" goes, I don't hear it because my ears are used to hearing, say, the mi7 played by the bass. You can walk the bass all the way down just as it stands. I'm really not sure what folks are hearing, only that it isn't familiar.

Dean

Hi, Dean. By the time you got here, the "clash" no longer existed - that's why you did not hear it. I had "asked" BIAB to play that slash chord for me - which it doesn't do - it will do many slash chords, but the 6m7 with a bass a full step down is one the fingerpick RealTrack won't do...I tried a few substitutes, but never found one that worked. I recoded a track myself, but it would not sit right in he mix - so finally, I simply eliminated the slash bass note since that was where the clash occurred...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/23/15 04:27 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Another fj keeper! A departure from your usual, but a nice one.

Regards,

Bob

Thank ya, Robert!.... there are departures all over the place smile

Originally Posted By: SRP
I like the smoothness of your vocals and the band put me in the right mood for this song. Very enjoyable.
Sonny

Thanks, Sonny...

Originally Posted By: Elliott Kayne
Nice lyric, great mix, good song, good vocals, nice use of real tracks. Great Work!

Elliot - appreciate that - have not seen you around in quite some time thanks for dropping by....
Posted By: aleck rand Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/23/15 10:12 PM
Floyd, I get it. It's fairly typical for BIAB not to have certain chords in the vocabulary of any particular style and I worked out a million tricks to get it play what I wanted - and all of them used slash chords. It turns out that the freakiest chords you've ever seen can always be rewritten as "stacked triads," which generalize slash chords. Instead of a single note in the bass, you have entire triads. Will BIAB will ever advance to that stage? I doubt it because there's likely to be little call for them.

In any case, I see your name all over the Forum page. You seem to have unlimited imagination and all the necessary chops to bang across whatever's in your head. You're one of a kind.

Dean
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/24/15 06:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
One of my favorites ever from one of my favorites ever!! Beautifully done. I love songs that are reflective and poetic. This one hangs in there with the greats of Jimmy Webb, Floyd. It is just a pleasure to listen to. From an art of songwriting perspective, this is a wonderful lesson. It is crafted by a fine artisan with each word and note placed with tenderness and care. Absolutely love it!! Take care. Greg

Greg - excuse me... while I SAVOR this review....

Thank you for that..... (Jimmy Webb - HA!)
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/26/15 10:31 AM
Originally Posted By: JosieC
Been absent from the forum for a while, again, so slowly catching and starting from the top gave me all the motivation I need. Great write Floyd and your productions keep getting better and better (if that is possible!)
Loved it!

Thanks for dropping by, Joanne...

Originally Posted By: Kemmrich
A well written, well-performed tune. I've used that same perc realdrum in conjunction with another drum set -- it works very nicely in certain situations, like this one here.

In any case, another super song, excellent! You have a way with words that very few do.

P.S. I was on the later side to Jimmy Buffet, didn't find out about him until Living and Dying in 3/4 Time. But White Sports Coat, 3/4 Time and A1A were a major part of my mis-spent youth. I started drifting away from his albums after Changes in Attitudes, though. My friend got his first Nashville album at some point in time back then.

Thanks, Kevin. I heard "Sport Coat" before it was released to the public - my buddy and I used to rummage through LPs at our local radio station - Easy Listening, so all the good stuff went to boxes in the basement - When we started playing in bars at 17, we called our duo "Pencil Thin Mustache"...
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A Certain Woman's Heart - 10/27/15 07:19 PM
Man, what a write. A literate but not at all pretentious love song. That's
a hard target to hit. A veritable clinic in how to write this type of tune.
The RT/Drums/Percussion choice is both interesting and very
supportive of the lyric and the typical fine vocal. With an instrument
like your voice mixing it up front like this is perfect. The harmony
is as lush as the strings.

Another great tune rolls outa the palatial jane studios!

J&B
© PG Music Forums