PG Music Home
Posted By: aleck rand JAMES AND WES - 11/01/15 11:53 PM
James Oscar Smith (Hammond B3) and John Louis "Wes" Montgomery (guitar). Two boss men.

This Wes composition is widely known under the title Road Song. However, it first appeared in a Verve album of the late '60's as OGD. The letters stand for

.....................obsessive gumpulsive disorder

a rare illness causing people to chew gum in their sleep.

Just kidding. Actually, it illustrates how the A&R people at the session come up with the names for tunes. Generally the players don't. Now, I happen to know what these letters - O G D - stand for. Here's a hint: they're just some objects hanging around the studio that day. It's really dumb. You'll never get it if you start thinking fancy. Any takers?

I decided to give it a different name altogether

..............................................JAMES AND WES

The drum track was constructed from many different RealDrums tracks. All of them feature Terry Clarke and Craig Scott, my two favorite drummers. I play the other instruments.
Posted By: PeterF Re: JAMES AND WES - 11/02/15 12:51 AM
That was superb. Lovely guitar organ (bass etc). Great overall sound
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: JAMES AND WES - 11/02/15 09:35 AM
Impeccable tracks. You are a great talent. Not only with your musical skills but in arrangement and production.
Posted By: tommyad Re: JAMES AND WES - 11/02/15 01:11 PM
Dean, To think that you can play both these instruments with such virtuosity is mind boggling. Fantastic arrangement. What a great listen. I think you are a MONSTER! Tom
Posted By: boehm Re: JAMES AND WES - 11/02/15 02:32 PM
Hi Dean,
Originally Posted By: tommyad
To think that you can play both these instruments with such virtuosity is mind boggling. Fantastic arrangement. What a great listen. I think you are a MONSTER!
I couldn't say it better. I take a bow. Hervorragend!

Guenter
Posted By: SRP Re: JAMES AND WES - 11/02/15 03:14 PM
Dean you are truly in a class of your own! I tip my hat to such great musicianship and such professionalism. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to you play and it boggles my mind how good you can play your instruments. Great job!
Sonny
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: JAMES AND WES - 11/02/15 08:08 PM
Before I peek at the other comments, I'm going for organ, guitar, drums, especially since those tracks are featured. Wow, do you ever play sweetly!! I played guitar for 30 years, and improved for the first two. Thank God for BIAB. If I could play like you, my family would fire me for never spending any time with them. AWESOME!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: aleck rand Re: JAMES AND WES - 11/02/15 10:50 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
That was superb. Lovely guitar organ (bass etc). Great overall sound

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Impeccable tracks. You are a great talent. Not only with your musical skills but in arrangement and production.

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Dean, To think that you can play both these instruments with such virtuosity is mind boggling. Fantastic arrangement. What a great listen. I think you are a MONSTER!
Tom

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hervorragend!
Guenter

Originally Posted By: SRP
Dean you are truly in a class of your own! I tip my hat to such great musicianship and such professionalism. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to you play and it boggles my mind how good you can play your instruments. Great job!
Sonny

What words can a mortal human being come up with to respond properly to these response? Thank you just doesn't seem to do it and I wouldn't put on a big song-and-dance of false modesty. So, I'll stall for time by explaining how the guitar/organ thing came about.

My original instrument was guitar. I had a few lessons as a kid, which were a waste. A decade went by and I picked up the instrument again but I had really fallen head over heels for the Hammond B3, which I consider the greatest invention since the wheel.

Not knowing which way was up, I thought I had a chance at a music career as long as it wasn't in my birthplace, NYC. Every single gig was sown up by a group of real MONSTERS more than twice my age and way more than twice as powerful.

So I got out of town and also got a hold of a beat up Hammond CV, a church version of the B3. It had solid sides, adding to its already immense weight. I didn't plan on playing like Jimmy Smith, but neither could I find anyone who could play it as good as Mickey Mouse. Time went by and I determined that I would never hear the guitar/organ sound unless I learned the instrument myself.

Keyboard became my main instrument and I put the guitar away for 20 years. When I picked it up again, I found that I was playing a style that no one was played any more. After I joined the Forum I began putting in insane hours of practice on three instruments - I had also fallen in love with the fretless bass. My chops started to respond, but I struggled with the new technology, the DAWs, mixing, etc. I'm still struggling.

Peter, Guenter, Tommy, Sonny, Fred, Charlie - your generosity and kindness are what have me in back-pedal mode. I do have a story to tell on these instruments and limited time to tell it. Having other players who are interested in hearing my story fills me with a gratitude and sense of accomplishment that outruns words.

Dean
© PG Music Forums