PG Music Home
Posted By: cklester Glorious Day - 11/03/15 10:57 PM
Hey, guys 'n' gals! Please have a listen to my song, "Glorious Day." I created it in BIAB, did some tweaking in RealBand, then handed it over to @dcuny for some post-processing mixing and arranging in Reaper. I would love to hear your feedback on it. (See Song Summary and lyrics below)

Glorious Day

Thank you!

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Glorious Day
File:Glorious Day.SGU
Key=C , Tempo 136, Length (m:s)=4:06
No intro. 136 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 136. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _CMPFMF2.STY (Fingerpick and Strum Ac. Med)

RealTracks in style: ~522:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~~406:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 136*******************

I also put in some cello, bass, and string tracks, all generated by BIAB or RB. For this song, I only did the vocals.

David used Reaper to mix and finalize.

*********** Title and Background

Glorious Day tells of significant days in earth's history.

*********** LYRICS

Glorious Day

The earth is dark and cold.
Great power they behold.
Then with gentle hands, He makes them both.

Chorus:
Oh, glorious day! Glorious day.
2:Oh, they had a plan: eternal God would become a man.
3:Oh, when he died, he gave us all eternal life.
4:Ah, no more tears, no more fears, no more pain.

Why are you afraid?
Remember what the prophets said:
A savior born to break your chains.

God proved Satan lied,
When the lamb was crucified.
Darkness and thunder, we deserve to die!

You wonder where and why.
Seek and you will find.
Look up, your redemption draweth nigh.
Posted By: SRP Re: Glorious Day - 11/04/15 02:09 AM
Originally Posted By: cklester
Hey, guys 'n' gals! Please have a listen to my song, "Glorious Day." I created it in BIAB, did some tweaking in RealBand, then handed it over to @dcuny for some post-processing mixing and arranging in Reaper. I would love to hear your feedback on it. (See Song Summary and lyrics below.

I love it!(especially the message). Good writing, production, choice of instruments, and vocals.
Sonny
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Glorious Day - 11/04/15 03:37 AM
This is really well done!! The melody is haunting, and the echo of the vocal is perfect for the feel. Arrangement builds and falls nicely. Great choice of RTs and execution. No criticism from me on this one!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Glorious Day - 11/04/15 10:36 AM
c.k. (and David)

Nice write. A tight lyric that keeps you listening - always aware of the what the lyric attempts to convey. A nicely "comfortable" melody - what it needs to be...

The opening staccato string hits are nice!

The reverb at first seemed heavy until the chorus. By my third listen, I did not notice it, though... (you could allow that to "build" through the first verse)

Beautiful vocal!

The cello works well (it almost always does). The accompanying strings are tasteful.

The pace of the rise and fall is nicely done - terrific "big ending".

Nice song. Nice production. Nice mix.

Great entrance! Welcome to the Showcase!

floyd
Posted By: boehm Re: Glorious Day - 11/04/15 11:52 AM
Hi c.k. and David,
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
This is really well done!! The melody is haunting, and the echo of the vocal is perfect for the feel. Arrangement builds and falls nicely. Great choice of RTs and execution. No criticism from me on this one!!

Welcome to the forum.

Guenter
Posted By: RnAM Re: Glorious Day - 11/04/15 08:01 PM
This is beautiful!
And we definitely love the repeating echo.
Kind of a 60s 70s feel to it all.

Rob & Anne-Marie
Posted By: cklester Re: Glorious Day - 11/05/15 01:14 AM
Thank you to everyone who took a moment and offered feedback. I really appreciate it!

Originally Posted By: SRP
I love it!(especially the message). Good writing, production, choice of instruments, and vocals.
Sonny

Thanks, Sonny! I have an uncle Sonny. Is that you? laugh

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
This is really well done!! The melody is haunting, and the echo of the vocal is perfect for the feel. Arrangement builds and falls nicely. Great choice of RTs and execution. No criticism from me on this one!! Take care. Greg

David should be feeling good about these comments. haha! Thanks, Greg!

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Nice write. A tight lyric that keeps you listening - always aware of the what the lyric attempts to convey. A nicely "comfortable" melody - what it needs to be...

The cello works well (it almost always does). The accompanying strings are tasteful.

Thank you so much! BTW, my favorite instruments are cello and guitar. I'd probably just use those if I thought I could get away with it. haha!

Originally Posted By: boehm
Welcome to the forum.

Thank you, Guenter!

Originally Posted By: RnAM
This is beautiful!
And we definitely love the repeating echo.
Kind of a 60s 70s feel to it all.
Rob & Anne-Marie

Thanks, you guys! Uh... You guy and gal! :-)

We'll see if my Neil Diamond influence comes out more in the future. :-D

Again, I appreciate everybody's comments. You're very kind! This is my first-ever produced song, and Mr. David Cuny played a huge part in getting it to where it is.

You guys heard it here first! (Is that how it usually happens? We show off for our PGMusic family first? heheh)
Posted By: dcuny Re: Glorious Day - 11/05/15 04:02 AM
Thanks for all the positive feedback! laugh

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
The reverb at first seemed heavy until the chorus.

I'd initially had a much more subtle effect on the echo/reverb in the initial mixes, but c.k. asked that it be larger, and I'm a sucker for the sort of thing, so I didn't say no. wink
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Glorious Day - 11/05/15 05:34 AM
Hi ck and David,

As others have said above me, this is a sensational listen. The vocals are fantastic.

The melodic timing of the two bars of "Oh glorius day, glorius day" is interesting. It's what grabbed me. To me it seemed that the melody was essentially a bar of 5/4 followed by a bar of 3/4 (total of 8 beats over two bars). I couldn't tune out of this melody sufficiently to isolate the backing in my mind but it seemed like some of backing stayed as a straight 4/4 (though I'm not sure all of it did). This tug-of-war between time signatures appealed.

The arrangement, the production and the mix are truly outstanding. It's easy to hear that a great deal of effort has gone into getting it right.

Overall, very, very professional sounding from start to end! You've both done a great job!

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: cklester Re: Glorious Day - 11/05/15 07:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
As others have said above me, this is a sensational listen. The vocals are fantastic... Overall, very, very professional sounding from start to end! You've both done a great job!

Noel, thank you for the very kind words! I'm glad you liked it!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Glorious Day - 11/05/15 08:00 PM
Top notch write, recording, mix, arrangement and production. I enjoyed every aspect of this.

Looking forward to hearing more from you and David in the future.
Posted By: cklester Re: Glorious Day - 11/05/15 09:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Top notch write, recording, mix, arrangement and production. I enjoyed every aspect of this.

Looking forward to hearing more from you and David in the future.

Thanks so much Charlie!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Glorious Day - 11/05/15 11:05 PM
Cool folk sounding song.

Nice production and mixing chops. Well recorded.

What's not to like about this? Nothing.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Glorious Day - 11/05/15 11:15 PM
Good write and instrument selections. David, sounds radio ready to me. Very creative and entertaining mix. CKlester, I hope you will submit this to your local contemporary Christian radio station and ask them to add it to their lineup.
Posted By: cklester Re: Glorious Day - 11/06/15 01:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Cool folk sounding song.

Nice production and mixing chops. Well recorded.

What's not to like about this? Nothing.

Thanks for checking it out!
Posted By: cklester Re: Glorious Day - 11/06/15 01:11 AM
Originally Posted By: JimFogle
Good write and instrument selections. David, sounds radio ready to me. Very creative and entertaining mix. CKlester, I hope you will submit this to your local contemporary Christian radio station and ask them to add it to their lineup.

Thanks, Jim! That's very kind of you to say! I wonder if a radio station would do that.
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Glorious Day - 11/07/15 01:52 AM
Excellent song and arrangement. The vocal effects are really appropriate.
SD
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Glorious Day - 11/07/15 01:40 PM
Hello

I think it's a great song.
Well singing and nice guitar playing.

Sergio
© PG Music Forums