PG Music Home
Posted By: ROG Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/05/15 11:48 AM
Hi all.

It's been a while since I managed to find time post a song, but I discovered this one sitting on my computer from a while back, just waiting for a mix. It's so old that the backing vocals were still done by Ellie and Jessie and they've been at university for over a year now. Not quite sure what genre this fits into, so judge for yourselves. There's an effect which I haven't used for years, but I thought it might be appropriate for my vocal on this track. It uses a vocoder, but using white noise instead of a synth as the carrier, with the voice as the modulator. I've kept it fairly subtle and it sounds a bit like stereo phasing.

Hey, there's actually some RTs in there for a change -
RT 494: Trumpet Jazz Ballad
RealDrums: Hip-Hop

Anyway, here it is.

SWEET DREAMS
Every time I see your face
I find myself
Floating in outer space
And every time I hear your voice
I'm drawn in
It seems like I don't have no choice
I get sweet dreams floating round my head.

Some say, "Is it right
To waste your time
Dreaming both day and night?"
But I think that it's so good
It's just fine
That it works out the way it should
I get sweet dreams floating round my head.

As usual, many thanks to everyone who has the time to listen.

Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: gibson Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/05/15 01:00 PM
ROG,

that is ROG, no specific genre, just ROG!
nice solo

I like the vocal effect very much, fits your voice so well
What can I say except I like that a lot, every song you post is excellent mix-wise as I have come to expect!
nice bass.

rock on ROG laugh

Alyn
Very, very cool ROG!!! Heard a little Petty, little Floyd, and a trumpet part I never would have thought of trying which worked perfectly. Love the trashy drum vibe you got. Really great all the way around!! Take care. Greg
Enjoyable listen. I always look forward to your posts. Interesting effects.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/05/15 09:05 PM
hi rog great peace here all of it very creative enjoy your stuff thanks for sharing eric
Rock. That covers a wide area musically.

Cool tune. The vocal FX works. Not in your face, just a touch.

Loved the breakdown to the trumpet.

Nice guitar playing.

I couldn't help thinking of Annie Lennox as I listened.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/05/15 11:19 PM
Cute song, well done as always. Like the vocal effect.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/06/15 11:03 AM
ROG,

That might be my favorite of yours!

Good opening guitars. The vocal effect works really well! The girls BGVs are perfect.

Love that snare sound! The subtle synth stabs are nice! Cool trumpet...

Gorgeous guitar lead!

The mix is a real stand-out!

REALLY enjoyed this!!!

floyd
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/06/15 12:40 PM
ROG -

Ditto everything that's been said. Great mix, and I love the vocal effect.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/06/15 01:14 PM
Sounds like something Ian Hunter might be singing from back in the Mott the Hoople days (ha, ha). Sounds like a good old gem that you mixed up just right. Are the girls still doing music?

Good one. Nice trumpet part and lead work!
Posted By: tommyad Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/06/15 02:01 PM
ROG, You've done it again. This is a killer track. I never thought the trumpet would work but it does. Good thinking outside the box on that call. Great vocals both lead and bg. Super guitar playing. The mix is outstanding with the bass occupying a great spot sonically. Rock on Professor!!! Tom
Posted By: RnAM Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/06/15 08:09 PM
Hi ROG,

Well, we really dig this vocal effect!
Backing vocals are great too.
The song has got a very nice drive to it.
We also like that subtle chorus guitar. The 494 RT is a good choice for the solo, especially followed by that great guitar solo!

Rob & Anne-Marie
Posted By: PeterF Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/06/15 11:58 PM
Enjoyed that. A bit different but nice and catchy.
Good trumpet and guitar parts.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/07/15 02:38 AM
My oldest son snarkily said it was the worst Eurythmics cover he's ever heard. laugh

I enjoyed the song, and loved the guitar solo.
Posted By: Mr White Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/07/15 12:29 PM
Good song. Nice guitar work.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/07/15 12:49 PM
Great groove, guitars sound so good!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/07/15 01:13 PM
Great sounding track! As already said it has a great groove going on with the rhythm section. The trumpet is sweet and I love that guitar solo. Cool vocal effect too.

Nice song.
Great sound and final solo.

Sergio
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/07/15 05:54 PM
ROG,
Glad you pull this one out of the files. Cool stuff in here. The effects are awesome. I loved your guitar solo and the trumpet solo as well.
SD
Posted By: RichMac Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/07/15 06:04 PM
Good one Rog. A little spooky and slinky and the trumpet sounded pink floydish.
Very good fun. Cheers.
Posted By: ROG Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/08/15 07:46 AM
Originally Posted By: gibson
ROG,

that is ROG, no specific genre, just ROG!
nice solo

I like the vocal effect very much, fits your voice so well
What can I say except I like that a lot, every song you post is excellent mix-wise as I have come to expect!
nice bass.

rock on ROG laugh

Alyn

Hi Alyn.
Many thanks for looking in and the kind words. Always value your opinion.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very, very cool ROG!!! Heard a little Petty, little Floyd, and a trumpet part I never would have thought of trying which worked perfectly. Love the trashy drum vibe you got. Really great all the way around!! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg.
Petty, Floyd? Yeah, I can live with that. It took a bit of processing on the RealDrums to get them to sound like that - glad you approved.

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Enjoyable listen. I always look forward to your posts. Interesting effects.

Hi Charlie. Thanks for the listen and the kind words.

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi rog great peace here all of it very creative enjoy your stuff thanks for sharing eric

Hi Eric. Thanks for looking in and the positive review.

ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/08/15 03:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Rock. That covers a wide area musically.

Cool tune. The vocal FX works. Not in your face, just a touch.

Loved the breakdown to the trumpet.

Nice guitar playing.

I couldn't help thinking of Annie Lennox as I listened.

Thanks, Herb.
With that effect, less is definitely more. Glad you liked the trumpet - the RTs are just great, aren't they.

Originally Posted By: JimFogle
Cute song, well done as always. Like the vocal effect.

Thanks for the review, Jim. The vocal effect seems to have been a success.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
ROG,

That might be my favorite of yours!

Good opening guitars. The vocal effect works really well! The girls BGVs are perfect.

Love that snare sound! The subtle synth stabs are nice! Cool trumpet...

Gorgeous guitar lead!

The mix is a real stand-out!

REALLY enjoyed this!!!

floyd

Hi Floyd.
What can I say except thanks very much. A lot of EQ and compression went into getting that snare right. Then I thought "Floyd will want this louder" so I pushed it a bit more!

Originally Posted By: 90 dB
ROG -

Ditto everything that's been said. Great mix, and I love the vocal effect.

Regards,

Bob

Always value a review from you, Bob. Many thanks.

ROG.
Posted By: dani48 Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/08/15 04:51 PM
Dear Rog !

The girls sounds absolutely
superb in the background !
I love the tune and everything
about it ! Absolutely one
of my ROG favourites !!!1

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: SRP Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/09/15 12:52 PM
Nice song! I especially liked the vocal mix and you have good instrumentation all around. Listening to this song was enjoyable.
Sonny
Wow! Tom Petty in your face!! (in a good way)
Really loving those effects and the guitar is
superb. Cool interlude with the trumpet RT.

Another one for our SC playlist.

Rock on!

J&B
This is really fun! I dig it! Some totally unexpected things in the mix. Made me smile from ear to ear. Nice!!!
Posted By: ROG Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/12/15 10:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Kemmrich
Sounds like something Ian Hunter might be singing from back in the Mott the Hoople days (ha, ha). Sounds like a good old gem that you mixed up just right. Are the girls still doing music?

Good one. Nice trumpet part and lead work!

Hi Kevin. Many thanks. The girls are not doing music at university, but they're still singing. I get to see them in the vacations, but the rest of the time I have to do my own BVs!

Originally Posted By: tommyad
ROG, You've done it again. This is a killer track. I never thought the trumpet would work but it does. Good thinking outside the box on that call. Great vocals both lead and bg. Super guitar playing. The mix is outstanding with the bass occupying a great spot sonically. Rock on Professor!!! Tom

Thanks for the complements, Tommy. I didn't think the trumpet would work either until I dropped the track in. The RTs are just great, aren't they.

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi ROG,

Well, we really dig this vocal effect!
Backing vocals are great too.
The song has got a very nice drive to it.
We also like that subtle chorus guitar. The 494 RT is a good choice for the solo, especially followed by that great guitar solo!

Rob & Anne-Marie

Hi R & A-M. Thanks for the review and really pleased that you liked the track.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Enjoyed that. A bit different but nice and catchy.
Good trumpet and guitar parts.

Hi Peter. Many thanks. I always strive to produce something a bit different, so it's good to hear you say that.

ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/14/15 08:13 PM
Running out of time with this one and don't want to keep bumping it, so let me say many thanks to -

David, Wayne, 44kfl, Josie, Sergio, SD, Rich, Dani, Sonny, J&B, and David S.

It's great to get feedback and I apologise if I don't always have enough time to reply to everyone personally. Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.

Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/14/15 08:44 PM
Hi ROG,

Just got home from hospital after major surgery. This is my first listen since coming home. When I saw your screen name, it caught my eye immediately. Power Rock Ballad is about as close as I could define this by genre. But it just ROG ...nuff said!

Nor feeling real good so didn't read any of the previous comments. Forgive me if something might be repetitive:

1. Cool vocal FX
2. Perfect vocal harmonies
3. Bass line really drives this one for me
4. Trumpet was an interesting but unexpected choice. Very cool!
5. FX stabs were the icing and a delicious cake.
6. As always, guitar work, arrangement, mixing and production were as close perfect as one could expect.

Loved it! Best to you,

Alan
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/14/15 10:47 PM
Hey ROG,

Apologies... I've just noticed that I haven't commented on this song. I first listened to it a week or so ago and I thought I'd commented then.

This is brilliant. You've really raised the bar here. Everything about this first rate. At the end of the music journey, the first thought that popped into my head was "ROG really knows his stuff!"

A terrific listen!

All the best,
Noel

Posted By: ROG Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/15/15 08:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi ROG,

Just got home from hospital after major surgery. This is my first listen since coming home. When I saw your screen name, it caught my eye immediately. Power Rock Ballad is about as close as I could define this by genre. But it just ROG ...nuff said!

Nor feeling real good so didn't read any of the previous comments. Forgive me if something might be repetitive:

1. Cool vocal FX
2. Perfect vocal harmonies
3. Bass line really drives this one for me
4. Trumpet was an interesting but unexpected choice. Very cool!
5. FX stabs were the icing and a delicious cake.
6. As always, guitar work, arrangement, mixing and production were as close perfect as one could expect.

Loved it! Best to you,

Alan

Hi Alan.
Sorry to hear you've not been well and hope you're now on the way to recovery.
Many thanks for taking the the time to listen and for the review, particularly under the circumstances.
Thanks also for all the positive comments - I always value your opinion.

All the best, Roger.
Posted By: ROG Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/15/15 08:13 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hey ROG,

Apologies... I've just noticed that I haven't commented on this song. I first listened to it a week or so ago and I thought I'd commented then.

This is brilliant. You've really raised the bar here. Everything about this first rate. At the end of the music journey, the first thought that popped into my head was "ROG really knows his stuff!"

A terrific listen!

All the best,
Noel

Hi Noel.
Always pleased to get a review from you.
Many thanks for the kind words.

Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/17/15 05:59 PM
Awesome tune. Loved the guitars. Excellent tone.
Posted By: ROG Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/17/15 08:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Awesome tune. Loved the guitars. Excellent tone.

Hi Scott.

Many thanks for listening and the positive review. Much appreciated.

ROG.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/18/15 09:18 PM
Rog, everything that I wanted to say already has been said!

When I started listening I said how in hell is a trumpet going to fit in this song? Well you did make it fit and you made it fit very well! Kind of like a smooth jazz lead to a rock song.

You have helped get the bar a little higher here!
Posted By: semar Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/20/15 07:25 PM
Hi Rog,

I've really enjoyed this one ! Nice guitar solo, cool vocals, drums, and the mix is very very good.

In one word: excellent !

Take care,
Sergio
Posted By: ROG Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/20/15 08:07 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Rog, everything that I wanted to say already has been said!

When I started listening I said how in hell is a trumpet going to fit in this song? Well you did make it fit and you made it fit very well! Kind of like a smooth jazz lead to a rock song.

You have helped get the bar a little higher here!

Hi Mario.

Many thanks for the kind review. That break-down section was originally going to have a vocal in it, but I couldn't get it to work. I tried a few solo instruments which I wasn't happy with and generated the trumpet without really expecting it to work myself. Sometimes, you just get lucky!

Originally Posted By: semar
Hi Rog,

I've really enjoyed this one ! Nice guitar solo, cool vocals, drums, and the mix is very very good.

In one word: excellent !

Take care,
Sergio

Hi Sergio.

Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment. It's much appreciated and I'm pleased you liked it.

ROG.
Posted By: olemon Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/22/15 01:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

Rock on!

J&B

Tom Petty came to mind for me as well. That opening guitar sets this song up perfectly. It's a very artistic production with a lot of interesting fx, dynamics and shifts. Love those background vocals.

Technical and musical, if that makes any sense:) Thoroughly enjoyed it. Going back for another listen....
Posted By: ROG Re: Sweet Dreams (Floating Round My Head) - 11/23/15 06:17 AM
Originally Posted By: olemon
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

Rock on!

J&B

Tom Petty came to mind for me as well. That opening guitar sets this song up perfectly. It's a very artistic production with a lot of interesting fx, dynamics and shifts. Love those background vocals.

Technical and musical, if that makes any sense:) Thoroughly enjoyed it. Going back for another listen....

Hi Olemon and many thanks for the review.

Technical and musical? Yeah, that makes sense and I regard it as a complement, thanks. Always been a Tom Petty fan, so that sits well, too.

Thanks again for the listen.

ROG
© PG Music Forums