PG Music Home
Posted By: aleck rand The Streets - 11/16/15 04:27 PM
This tune will be familiar to many Forum members. It features German tenor saxophonist Jörg, who plays a beautifully constructed solo.

RealDrums:
Jazz #1 (walking part only)
BossaBrushesSwingPerc^ conga only

The arrangement has eight horns and twenty-three tracks in all.
Aleck Rand created the arrangement and plays the other instruments.

..................................The Streets
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: The Streets - 11/16/15 04:35 PM
Yet another mind-blowing production by the mind-blowing master himself!!! Really cool stuff. I remember the show but have forgotten the theme (I'm sure the original was NOT this good!). Amazing guitar work, cool sax, GREAT EVERYTHING!! You are the man Dean!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: The Streets - 11/17/15 12:06 AM
OK, I'm bumping this up myself because I can't believe nobody else has commented yet. Be prepared to be AMAZED!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: dcuny Re: The Streets - 11/17/15 12:38 AM
It's just not the same without the voiceover. cry

Very well played, and the squeal of the tires are a nice touch.
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Streets - 11/17/15 09:29 AM
Awesome tune Dean.Sax was very cool. Bass was very cool well
Posted By: aleck rand Re: The Streets - 11/17/15 11:23 AM
Greg,

As I wobbled backward from this mind-blowing compliment I still managed to get a PM to you. Don't miss that.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: The Streets - 11/17/15 11:37 AM
Haaaa!

David, man, you are sharp (I still remember our Tupolev/Ilyushin routine - Pat Marr called it a LOL-A-THON!). You couldn't have known that when I went to the TV themes website to get an arrangement of this tune, an automated voice informed me that CBS demanded the removal of the Streets of San Francisco theme. So it was off to YouTube, where you can watch complete episodes, complete seasons! But there, in order to get to the music, you have to listen through ... OK, here goes (try to conjure up a big-voiced announcer suitable to the period)

THE STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO, A QUINN MARTIN PRODUCTION
STARRING CARL MALDLEN AND MICHAEL DOUGLAS!
THIS WEEK ALSO STARRING ALBERT SALMI, ETC. ETC.

So this guy is going on and on and I'm straining to hear what the band is playing. Nevertheless, I did cop all the voicings and then replaced them with my own arrangement. I'm very happy that you liked the final product.

Dean
Posted By: boehm Re: The Streets - 11/17/15 12:03 PM
Hi Dean,
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Yet another mind-blowing production by the mind-blowing master himself!!! Really cool stuff...Amazing guitar work, cool sax, GREAT EVERYTHING!! You are the man Dean!!

I enjoyed this virtuoso performance a lot.
The horn section sounds fantastic.

Guenter
Posted By: aleck rand Re: The Streets - 11/17/15 01:36 PM
Guenter,

Your comment about the horns gave me all the relief I needed. First I tried Native-Instruments Session Horns, which requires the use of the Kontakt player. Unfortunately, the free Kontakt player NI offered for download required so much modification - going deep into folders, removing objects with cryptic names, etc. Needless to say, I did none of this myself. In fact, Sweetwater tech support had to contact NI for help.

So, after giving them my hundred bucks, I discovered that Session Horns is not as simple as "pick a horn, assign it to a track." I put off Session Horns as a learning project and turned to Xpand!2 (why are the Germans the kings in this area? - don't answer, I know why) and found some pretty good sounding horns there. In fact, they have a million instruments and all of them are good.

Still, I worried about the horns and how they would sound. I think it may be the fact that so much of the body is involved in horn playing - the mouth, lungs, fingers on a complicated valve system - that these sounds are among the last to be successfully synthesized. But they must be getting close to get a reaction like that out of you. Even the shortest reviews from you have something of concrete value in them.

Thanks my friend

Dean
Posted By: dcuny Re: The Streets - 11/18/15 12:55 AM
If I remember correctly, Quinn Martin also insisted on labeling their programs with "Act 1", "Act 2" and "Act 3", which really didn't help with the suspension of disbelief at all!

I've also been on the quest for the perfect horn library... But I lack your level of talent. So I suspect even if I found it, I wouldn't be able to use it to its potential. But that hasn't stopped me from trying.

After being blown away by Chuck Israels online tutorial which used i]Garritan Jazz and Big Band[/i], I shelled out my hard-earned cash for a copy of JABB. My arrangements were less than inspiring, sounding more like a nest of irritated kazoos.

Randy Bowser was kind enough to put together a tutorial on using JABB at my pleading, and I was able to make better progress - but nothing that would fool anyone.

I've done a demo that mixed the RT brass in BiaB with GPO trumpets, and the results are OK.

Ever the sucker, when Session Horns came out, I picked up a copy. I've had mixed results with that. I was quite unhappy there is no way to solo instruments, which seems a money-grab to me. I've used it in a couple of places, but it lacks the "magic" I'd been hoping to find.

Somehow I managed to find an affordable used USB EWI. The library of brass instruments that it came with were pretty terrible (based on the Garritan library), so I was off looking for another set of replacement sounds. I settled on Vintage Horns, which I ended up sampling and converting to .sfz format... Then promptly didn't use them, because I'm stupid that way. But Real Soon Now I've promised myself that I'd use them on some '70s style track, once inspiration hits.

The Session Horns library isn't really sampled at multiple dynamics, but it does have that "vibe" and a bunch of solo instruments. And it was on sale, so it must have been a good deal.

You'd think this story would be over, but somehow I managed to find funds for WIVI Band (the PC version, not the iPhone version) with an educational discount. The trumpet on that is surprisingly good - I've got a track where it dovetails into a RT, and it's pretty seamless. It works quite well with the EWI, too. I suspect that if I ever do get that '70s track done, I'll end up using WIVI Band.

Then Embertone put out the Chapman Trumpet. It's got sampled legato from note to note, which makes it really awesome. Sadly, it does not work with the Kontakt player. But I took a chance, bought it, and converted it to an .sfz instrument. A huge pain... but so pretty on the EWI. Not a all suitable for jazz, though.

All right, on to the end of this sad tale of spending with little music to show for it.

There have recently been a number of companies that came out with plastic horns. Tiger decided to go the all-plastic route, and the valves ended up failing. The pBone trumpets got good reviews, but Tromba edged them out. So I picked up a black plastic C trumpet, and my family's had to put up with my trying to learn it since then.

Tromba just announced a plastic flugel. If they ever put out a C flugel, I'll start saving my pennies for that. Which reminds me: how about some flugel RTs? That would be awesome.

OK, all this writing reminds me that it's time to practice the horn again.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: The Streets - 11/18/15 01:51 AM
Dean

Wow. A very busy arrangement. A lot of work went into that!

The bass and jazz has a great fusion style, very liable. Top playing, funky, great keyboards and outstanding discordance.

I enjoyed the car sound effects, and then the great walking bass feel when the B3 arrived on the scene.

Very 'out there'

Trev

Posted By: tommyad Re: The Streets - 11/18/15 10:37 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Dean

The bass and jazz has a great fusion style, very liable. Top playing, funky, great keyboards and outstanding discordance.

I enjoyed the car sound effects, and then the great walking bass feel when the B3 arrived on the scene.

Very 'out there'

Trev

Dean, You've done it again! My mind has been blown for the umpteenth time by you. Great stuff. Tom
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Streets - 11/18/15 09:07 PM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Dean,
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Yet another mind-blowing production by the mind-blowing master himself!!! Really cool stuff...Amazing guitar work, cool sax, GREAT EVERYTHING!! You are the man Dean!!

I enjoyed this virtuoso performance a lot.
The horn section sounds fantastic.

Guenter

A super big +1

This is a super arrangement Dean! Top marks for that! Plus the mix is spot on!

You should be very proud of this one.
Posted By: Sundance Re: The Streets - 11/18/15 10:40 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Dean

Very 'out there'

Trev

Dean, You've done it again! My mind has been blown for the umpteenth time by you. Great stuff. Tom

I'll second that!
Posted By: SRP Re: The Streets - 11/19/15 01:47 AM
As I have said before, you are in a class all by yourself. I took one semester in college of music theory but they did not teach this! It is way over my head what you do but that doesn't mean that I don't like it for I sure do. Please, keep them coming!
Sonny
Posted By: PeterF Re: The Streets - 11/19/15 03:10 AM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Dean

Very 'out there'

Trev

I'll second that!

Third that...
Posted By: aleck rand Re: The Streets - 11/21/15 11:13 AM
Mario,

Thanks my friend. When people say "killer arrangement" you could take it two ways. Here, the arrangement almost killed me! But I wouldn't change anything about it. The drums are all over the place in spots but they're locked in enough. Of course, the RealDrummer during the walking part keeps perfect time.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: The Streets - 11/21/15 03:22 PM
Sonny,

You've sent some very kind compliments my way and I must say that they are very appreciated. As far as being in a class by myself, I know what it's like. I once asked my teacher to please bring more students. It was lonely and boring, and then she told me it wasn't a class, it was DETENTION!

I also remember my parents applying that phrase. It was usually preceded by this phrase: "Join the human race, damn it!"

But I understand how to interpret your use and it's flattering, no question about it. Thanks man.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: The Streets - 11/21/15 03:31 PM
Tom,

I better keep a low profile for a while. Somehow, I feel I have to outdo the previous "mind-blowing extravaganza" and it's getting tougher and tougher.

By the way, SC reception of Once Forgotten Man has been tremendous. You got me at least a coupla hundred new followers, which is good for a guy with not a second to listen to any music, of any kind, anywhere. Once I get through with one of these, my head has to cool off.

The eternally young-looking actor Paul Newman used to say that he kept his great skin my dunking his whole head in a bucket of ice water every morning. I won't go that far, but other people did and then Newman finally revealed that the whole thing was a joke! He never did that.

I'm really glad you enjoyed The Streets.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: The Streets - 11/21/15 03:33 PM
Can I get a +4 ? Thanks Peter. Glad you approve.

Dean Clark (aka Aleck Rand)
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Streets - 11/24/15 01:10 PM
Good heavens...what a HUGE production!
23 tracks? 8 horns?

The mix soundstage is wonderful. Finding
places for everything to sit like this must
have taken a lot of time. And it paid off,
indeed.

In the pocket arrangement and playing to
go with everything.

Great listen!

J&B
Posted By: aleck rand Re: The Streets - 11/26/15 01:10 PM
Janice and Bud,

Happy Thanksgiving! No argument from me about the effort that went into this one. But I think it came out pretty good and I'm happy you liked it.

I'll spare you the usual THNXGVNG cliches and, for that matter all cliches. So, HAVE A GOOD ONE!

Dean
Posted By: dani48 Re: The Streets - 12/19/15 11:54 PM
Hi,Aleck !

This is simply stunning !!!

WOW !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: The Streets - 12/20/15 09:00 AM
A superb arrangement. All the accolades are truly earned.
Enjoyed this one a lot.
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: The Streets - 12/20/15 10:35 AM

Simply great!

Very great all instruments.

Sergio
© PG Music Forums