PG Music Home
Posted By: Greg Johnson New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/18/15 01:08 AM
Hello forum friends. The story behind this song is total nonsense but the hook line (title) is based in reality. I like shopping at Grocery Outlet (a discount grocery store). I'm hopelessly addicted to finding deals. About a year ago, they were blowing out a 100 percent juice drink called "Fave" for 99 cents for a 48 oz bottle. I bought 6 cases of 8 bottles and drank it for months. The same store had a deal on Bacardi coconut rum. The fave was sweet but not overly sweet like orange or pineapple juice and the two blended together were AMAZING! It was my favorite drink for months. Obviously "Fave and coconut rum" is not catchy but I thought of "OJ and coconut rum" and it just sang well. The melody of the opening line of the chorus popped into my head and I sang it intermittently for a few weeks. It sounded Buffett to me. So, I wrote the song, doing my best to steal Jimmy's voice, persona, and make BIAB my coral reefers. I didn't realize til I recorded it that I blew the rhyme scheme (I knew Noel would catch that), and that I stole the second line (a few stolen...) from Michael Franks (sorry Michael). Also, on first listen outside the headphones, I realize it's bass deficient. Hope you enjoy. Comments encouraged! Take care. Greg

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/ojsslvocdec

OJ and coconut rum

She was the first girl I ever loved
Since I was seventeen
A few stolen kisses and several near misses
Some disasters in between
Hard as I tried, it just didn’t work out
Then I lost my house and crashed my car
Got on a silver bird and headed south
And ended up here in this bar

OJ and coconut rum
Be hell to pay when the morning comes
But that’s OK, I got nowhere to run (to)
And no one to ask to forgive
I’ll string a hammock between two strong trees
Drift away on the island breeze
Dream of adventures on the seven seas
Of a life I never lived

I couldn’t resist the kindness in her eyes
And asked her for a dance
Talked for an hour and by then I knew
That she was my last chance
But she was young and I was turnin’ gray
Kindred spirits on two paths that crossed
I’ll drink a toast now to the ones that say
“Better to have loved and have lost”

OJ and coconut rum
Know I’ll feel better when my mind gets numb
For what ails me now there ain’t no cure
But that bottle can help me forget
Sorry if I start to bring you down
But how ‘bout bringin’ me another round
Some say that drinkin’ ain’t the way to go
But tonite I’ll find out for sure

Some say our fate is written in the stars
Decided before we arrive
I only know before I leave this bar
I better find somebody to drive

OJ…
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/18/15 01:47 AM
Greg, even the intro has a 'palm trees swaying in the breeze' feel.

I really liked the lyrics - somber in places, and the steel in there fitted subtlety nicely too.

And a great last verse - I really got a laugh.

Another top delivery.

Trev

Posted By: ROG Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/18/15 06:18 AM
Hi Greg.

Great song with a super storyline.

Excellent backing track with a particularly nice stereo wash.

Vocals well up to your usual high standard.

ROG.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/18/15 08:42 AM
Very nice Greg. Buffetty, if that's a word. grin

Agree on the rum, but mine is a Cuba Libre these days.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/18/15 08:45 AM
I was able to kick back and just enjoy your song this morning after you jumped out, grabbed all the nits you could find, some visible, some not and posted them in your opening comments. Cut us off at the knees, so to speak. So, relaxed and free from critique and with my first cup of coffee, I just listened. And, I was not disappointed. This is a very good write and the song fit your vocals really nice.

Your arrangement did a good job capturing the Buffett/Chesney Island rhythm. Not a nit but just sharing another 'flavor' you may want to consider in future acoustic based songs; Alternate tuned acoustic guitars such as a double dropped D or high strung or even just a capo'd 2nd acoustic works really in this type of song.

This was a fun listen to start off the day. Enjoyed it.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/18/15 10:06 AM
Cool tune.

The first verse had me thinking Jimmy Buffett... changes in attitudes, changes in latitudes a bit.... not enough to consider infringement.... just enough to say, hey, that sounds kinda like......

Cool story in the song.

Nits... you caught a few of your own. That's a good thing. Mixing on cans.... I do it on occasion. It's always important to listen on a well balanced monitor system. I don't take the cans off and hit the monitors. I allow at a minimum, one hour or better yet, next day since the cans are like ear candy and change your perception of the monitors.

BGV are slightly off key.

The rhyme scheme didn't really catch my attention. You have a few nice lyric lines in there regardless.

All in all, a good song, well done, and enjoyable.
Posted By: tommyad Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/18/15 10:48 AM
Greg, This would be well received at one of the many Tiki Bars here in Florida. I enjoyed the song with some very nice lines in there. Once again a super lead vocal. The BGV were out of tune in spots. I would have used the steel a little more sparingly as fills in the choruses only as opposed to pads throughout. As I do with all your songs, I enjoyed my listen very much. Tom
Posted By: boehm Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/18/15 01:25 PM
Hi Greg,

nice lyrics. The last verse made me laugh.
I like your vocals. Nice arrangement. It transports
some island feeling.
A very enjoyable listen.
Thanks for the background story.

Guenter
Posted By: Scott C Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/18/15 04:55 PM
Awesome tune Greg. Excellent story in the lyrics
Posted By: MarioD Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/18/15 09:00 PM
It's all been said so all that I can add is Jimmy Buffet has some serious competition.
Posted By: Sundance Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/18/15 10:56 PM
This is a great write Greg. Love the JB influence.
Posted By: SRP Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/19/15 01:40 AM
Greg a very enjoyable listen! I liked everything that I heard so pat yourself on the back for this one...you deserve it!
Sonny
Posted By: PeterF Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/19/15 03:16 AM
Excellent vocal - pretty song - well written.
Posted By: RnAM Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/20/15 02:06 PM
A very smooth, All-American sounding song ;-)
That harmonica and steel guitar complements the arrangement very nicely!
Posted By: olemon Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/22/15 02:02 PM
I always like hearing the song's story:)

I agree about those BGV's, but you totally captured that island vibe with this solid tune, and yet it's unique somehow. Island Country?

All I know is that I like it, a lot!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/23/15 03:46 PM
Greg,

Great job of finding that Buffett sound/feel in BIAB! From the opening bars, it's sand and sea and umbrella drinks...

"A few stolen kisses and several near misses
Some disasters in between"

I like that.

"Some say that drinkin’ ain’t the way to go
But tonite I’ll find out for sure"

...and that...

The mix sounds great. Always love your vocals...

Enjoyed all of my listens.

fj
Posted By: gibson Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/24/15 04:45 AM
Greg,
relaxing and chillin' music.
Up to your normal high standards.

good words and vocals

enjoyed
Alyn
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/24/15 11:45 AM
"Some say our fate is written in the stars
Decided before we arrive
I better find somebody to drive"

Man, that is so cool. From high philosophical
musings to cold reality in four lines. Wow.

Great, as floyd, mentioned in finding the
JB sound with BiaB. Wrapped up in
a fine mix also.

Wonderful story with many vibrant
images -- enough for several songs!

J&B
Posted By: RichMac Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/25/15 12:02 AM
Hi Greg. You certainly got the JB style off to a T.
The Pacific cruising sailors in the late 70's were much into music like this.
Introduced me to JB's music. Lovely job. Cheers.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/25/15 09:21 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Greg, even the intro has a 'palm trees swaying in the breeze' feel.

I really liked the lyrics - somber in places, and the steel in there fitted subtlety nicely too.

And a great last verse - I really got a laugh.

Another top delivery.

Trev

Thanks Trevor. Really appreciate the kind words, and your so consistent support for my songs. Means a lot to me! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/25/15 09:22 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Greg.

Great song with a super storyline.

Excellent backing track with a particularly nice stereo wash.

Vocals well up to your usual high standard.

ROG.

THanks so much ROG! Always like hearing your songs and getting your feedback! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/25/15 09:23 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Very nice Greg. Buffetty, if that's a word. grin

Agree on the rum, but mine is a Cuba Libre these days.

Regards,

Bob

Thanks for the kind words Bob. You've been really doing a lot of great stuff lately! Diggin' it! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/26/15 06:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
I was able to kick back and just enjoy your song this morning after you jumped out, grabbed all the nits you could find, some visible, some not and posted them in your opening comments. Cut us off at the knees, so to speak. So, relaxed and free from critique and with my first cup of coffee, I just listened. And, I was not disappointed. This is a very good write and the song fit your vocals really nice.

Your arrangement did a good job capturing the Buffett/Chesney Island rhythm. Not a nit but just sharing another 'flavor' you may want to consider in future acoustic based songs; Alternate tuned acoustic guitars such as a double dropped D or high strung or even just a capo'd 2nd acoustic works really in this type of song.

This was a fun listen to start off the day. Enjoyed it.

Thanks Charlie! I think that's good advice on the guitars. I may play with that before I do a final CD mix. Thanks again! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/26/15 06:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Cool tune.

The first verse had me thinking Jimmy Buffett... changes in attitudes, changes in latitudes a bit.... not enough to consider infringement.... just enough to say, hey, that sounds kinda like......

Cool story in the song.

Nits... you caught a few of your own. That's a good thing. Mixing on cans.... I do it on occasion. It's always important to listen on a well balanced monitor system. I don't take the cans off and hit the monitors. I allow at a minimum, one hour or better yet, next day since the cans are like ear candy and change your perception of the monitors.

BGV are slightly off key.

Thanks Herb! You're right about the BGVs. I thought I had cleaned things up better than that. I can do OOhs and Aahs in falsetto but trying to move with a melody out of my range can be tricky. Thanks for the listen and the kind words! Take care. Greg

The rhyme scheme didn't really catch my attention. You have a few nice lyric lines in there regardless.

All in all, a good song, well done, and enjoyable.

Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/26/15 06:53 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Greg, This would be well received at one of the many Tiki Bars here in Florida. I enjoyed the song with some very nice lines in there. Once again a super lead vocal. The BGV were out of tune in spots. I would have used the steel a little more sparingly as fills in the choruses only as opposed to pads throughout. As I do with all your songs, I enjoyed my listen very much. Tom

Thanks Tom! I think I did overdo the steel. I'll revisit that for a final CD mix. You've been blowin' my mind with some great songs lately (and mixes!)! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/26/15 06:54 PM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Greg,

nice lyrics. The last verse made me laugh.
I like your vocals. Nice arrangement. It transports
some island feeling.
A very enjoyable listen.
Thanks for the background story.

Guenter

Thanks Guenter! That "island feeling" is definitely what I was going for. I love the tropics, and anything that makes me think of them. Dug your last remix! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/26/15 06:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Awesome tune Greg. Excellent story in the lyrics

Thanks Scott! Really enjoying your contributions on the forum these days. Keep posting! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/26/15 06:57 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
It's all been said so all that I can add is Jimmy Buffet has some serious competition.

Thanks Mario!! Looks like you and I share the same "bucket list". Always love hearing you and Jon D. jamming! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/26/15 06:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
This is a great write Greg. Love the JB influence.

Thanks Josie! You know I always look for your comments. Your new one is really, really good!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/29/15 03:33 PM
Originally Posted By: SRP
Greg a very enjoyable listen! I liked everything that I heard so pat yourself on the back for this one...you deserve it!
Sonny

Thanks Sonny! Appreciate the listen and the nice words. Always like hearing from you! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/29/15 03:34 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Excellent vocal - pretty song - well written.

Thanks Peter! Just listened to your new one today and loved it! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/29/15 03:35 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
A very smooth, All-American sounding song ;-)
That harmonica and steel guitar complements the arrangement very nicely!

Thanks R and AM! I may have overused the steel but I'm a sucker for that instrument. Always love to hear your posts! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 11/29/15 03:36 PM
Originally Posted By: olemon
I always like hearing the song's story:)

I agree about those BGV's, but you totally captured that island vibe with this solid tune, and yet it's unique somehow. Island Country?

All I know is that I like it, a lot!

Thanks Scott! Yeah, I'll have to revisit the BGVs. Really appreciate the kind words! Take care. Greg

Great song and great voice.

You sing very well on an excellent base. All are well mixed
and the result is this great song.

Sergio
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 12/03/15 12:24 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Greg,

Great job of finding that Buffett sound/feel in BIAB! From the opening bars, it's sand and sea and umbrella drinks...

"A few stolen kisses and several near misses
Some disasters in between"

I like that.

"Some say that drinkin’ ain’t the way to go
But tonite I’ll find out for sure"

...and that...

The mix sounds great. Always love your vocals...

Enjoyed all of my listens.

fj

Thanks so much for the kind words Floyd. They mean a great deal to me! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 12/03/15 12:25 AM
Originally Posted By: gibson
Greg,
relaxing and chillin' music.
Up to your normal high standards.

good words and vocals

enjoyed
Alyn

Thanks Alyn! Relaxing and chillin' are among my favorite activities. Your new one is a kick! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 12/03/15 12:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"Some say our fate is written in the stars
Decided before we arrive
I better find somebody to drive"

Man, that is so cool. From high philosophical
musings to cold reality in four lines. Wow.

Great, as floyd, mentioned in finding the
JB sound with BiaB. Wrapped up in
a fine mix also.

Wonderful story with many vibrant
images -- enough for several songs!

J&B

Thanks J and B. You guys are always so flattering and supportive. And I know you listen carefully. Your kind words are treasured! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 12/03/15 12:28 AM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hi Greg. You certainly got the JB style off to a T.
The Pacific cruising sailors in the late 70's were much into music like this.
Introduced me to JB's music. Lovely job. Cheers.

Thanks RichMac for your wonderful support of this song and for the repost! Always love hearing one of my songs start on someone else's page. A great compliment indeed. Your kind words mean a lot to me! Take care. Gre
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 12/03/15 12:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Great song and great voice.

You sing very well on an excellent base. All are well mixed
and the result is this great song.

Sergio

Thanks Sergio!! Appreciate the listen, and always like to hear your guitar singing! Take care. Greg
Posted By: dcuny Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 12/03/15 03:05 AM
So your the person who buys all the really good stuff at Grocery Outlet. By the time I arrive, there's nothing left but overpriced frozen pizza and last season's ice cream flavors.

Cool write, and you nailed the Jimmy Buffet feel.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song Post: OJ AND COCONUT RUM - 12/03/15 06:17 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
So your the person who buys all the really good stuff at Grocery Outlet. By the time I arrive, there's nothing left but overpriced frozen pizza and last season's ice cream flavors.

Cool write, and you nailed the Jimmy Buffet feel.

Thanks David! Yeah, I'm the Grocery Outlet bandit. A few months ago, they had drinkable beer for $10.99 for a 30 pack. I loaded my trunk! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums