PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/18/15 07:18 PM
There's Evil In You Chillun
BTW, for our international friends “chillun” is Deep South USA for children smile

Janice and I left our bluegrass band in 2003 and for nearly 10 years we rarely picked up our instruments or recorded. Since we had both retired in 1999 we had more things we were interested in than gigging (mountain biking, hiking and kayaking). But we continued to listen to music of many genres over the years. Three years ago I stumbled into BiaB after buying an iMac, noodling around with Garageband that came on it and getting interested in its recording capabilities. That (and some googling) lead me to PGMusic.

BiaB offered us a chance to ease back into making music and explore new genres. Our first posts here on the User Forum in 2012 were rehashes of our bluegrass writes. A public domain tune, Evil Chillun, was our first real venture away from bluegrass into another genre — Western Swing for that tune. And, the response it received (three years ago this month) on this forum was what put us on the Americana journey that we continue to travel.

I recently revisited the song and decided to reconstruct it with the original vocal track. Hopefully I’ve learned a bit more about the use of Biab, mixing and mastering over the last three years.

Evil Chillun is from the very early Western Swing tune period when a “sock rhythm” acoustic guitar and/or mandolin provided a lot of the upbeat on top of a minimalist drum kit. Also it was typical that the upcoming soloist would play pretty hot under the vocalist leading up to the solo. We tried to incorporate all of this.

So….here’s the new version. And many thanks to PGMusic and this great community for putting us on this three year adventure and for all of the support. Pardon the ramble and your time to listen is always appreciated!

Dedicated to the memory of our best friend and mentor RANDY HOWARD 12 time National Fiddle Champion and much, much more. He tore this stuff up. RIP.

J&B

Drums: Nashville 8th’s SW
Bass: RT 445
Guitar Rhythm: RT 1028
Mandolin Rhythm: RT 599
Mandolin Solo: RT 1862 (comped from multiple regens)
Fiddle Rhythm: RT 1296
Fiddle Solo: RT 1871 (comped from multiple regens)
Piano Rhythm: RT 1993
Piano Solo: RT 1865 (comped from multiple regens)

Effects/Mastering: Nectar 2 and Ozone 6

Vocal: Janice
Arrangement, mixing/mastering: Bud

There’s Evil In You Chillun
Creative Commons - Public Domain archive.org/details/SonsOfTheWest-11-20 (link no longer valid)
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/18/15 08:17 PM
Nice, nice, nice. I haven't heard your original version for comparison but no matter.

This is totally up to your normal standards in Janice vocals and Bud's arrangement, mixing and mastering.

Let's just say there's magic in you two chillun'!!!

Your mastery over the Biab technology far exceeds my recollection of my early years experimenting with modern technology. I can still recall my mother yelling to me out the back door -- "Charlie, get away from that wheelbarrow! You know you don't know nothin' bout machinery!"
Posted By: MarioD Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/18/15 08:34 PM
Loved it. A real toe taper.

Everything as usual is top shelf, super mix, great choice of RTs and of course Janice's super vocals.

If I had hear this is a record shop I would have bought it.
Posted By: ROG Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/18/15 08:37 PM
Hi there J&B.

Wonderful stuff.

Thanks for the background information - I'm always interested how the music is constructed for different genres.

Terrific backing with well chosen solos and the mix sounded great.

And, of course, I love to hear Janice sing. Brilliant.

ROG.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/18/15 09:04 PM
This is a cool cover! We also listened to the original version (which is also nice but sounds kind of crackling ;-)
Top-notch production as usual, well arranged and very well sung!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/18/15 10:30 PM
Very cool song. Loved it.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/18/15 10:45 PM
As I was reading that I thought what a great testimonial for BIAB!

I'll steal RnAm's comment -

"Top-notch production as usual, well arranged and very well sung!"

Ditto.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/18/15 11:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Nice, nice, nice. I haven't heard your original version for comparison but no matter.

This is totally up to your normal standards in Janice vocals and Bud's arrangement, mixing and mastering.

Let's just say there's magic in you two chillun'!!!

Your mastery over the Biab technology far exceeds my recollection of my early years experimenting with modern technology. I can still recall my mother yelling to me out the back door -- "Charlie, get away from that wheelbarrow! You know you don't know nothin' bout machinery!"

Charlie, you are too kind. My mantra with BiaB is "keep it simple stupid." I've learned my limits and, yep, they are influenced by my age and reticence to keep taking on more and more new digital products. I deeply admire the loops, and midi stuff and huge numbers of RT's that folks can arrange into masterful productions. I just don't think I could ever do that. I guess it's from years of playing in a 4 or 5 piece bluegrass band but I have to imagine that my productions are a small group and I'm looking at their backsides playing bass and also working the house/monitor system -- as I did for years, i.e., I have to approach this whole thing as though I'm mixing a live band. That scenario I understand and strive through BiaB to relive. Thanks again for the very nice comments!

Bud

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Loved it. A real toe taper.
Everything as usual is top shelf, super mix, great choice of RTs and of course Janice's super vocals.
If I had hear this is a record shop I would have bought it.

Thanks man, and you don't have to buy it...it's free!!! We appreciate you.

Bud
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/19/15 12:57 AM
Great arrangement, really nice southern style, and the fiddle fits in perfectly. Absolutely sensational vocal. The mandolin certainly wasn't out of place either.

I like the way you comped the solos too, great outcome.

Overall top class delivery, thanks!
Posted By: SRP Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/19/15 01:36 AM
J&B, I like simplicity as you can tell by my songs. KISS has always been my philosophy and what you guys do brings out the best in both of you. Good song, production, lyrics, vocals and BIAB choses. I enjoyed listening and thanks for sharing.
Sonny
Posted By: PeterF Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/19/15 03:19 AM
Janice & Bud.
Superb! You make it hard to comment I'd rather just listen.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/19/15 10:26 AM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi there J&B.

Wonderful stuff.

Thanks for the background information - I'm always interested how the music is constructed for different genres.

Terrific backing with well chosen solos and the mix sounded great.

And, of course, I love to hear Janice sing. Brilliant.

ROG.

Thanks ROG! Glad you liked it and thanks for taking the time to listen and offer these comments. They are much appreciated.

J&B
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/19/15 11:08 AM
cool jukin song.

Nice quality fiddle, mando and piano sounds in the solos

regeneration is the secret to smoking hot solos

ever read the book... Children of the corn? Talk about evil chillin....
Posted By: boehm Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/19/15 12:43 PM
Hi Janice & Bud,

I remember this was your first song posted. But I can't remember what it really sounded like. Your new version blooms with Janice's vocals and Bud's arrangement, mixing and mastering. I'm especially impressed by the great solos of the different instruments.
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/19/15 06:12 PM
Nice Jammin' tune!! Really well arranged (and of course sung-we would not expect any less). Solos worked perfectly. Another excellent contribution from the dynamic duo!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Al-David Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/20/15 01:25 AM
Hi Janice & Bud,

Is this a cool song ... or what? I've always loved western Swing. Asleep At The Wheel is one of my favorite listens. Everything about this is superb. And Janice's voice sets perfectly in this great mix. What a treat ... thanks guys!

Alan
Posted By: tommyad Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/20/15 10:41 AM
J&B, As usual this has a fantastic arrangement , mix and vocal. As Herb said" regeneration is the secret to smoking hot solos" . This is how it's done. The solos sound great and of course they are the hallmark of any Western Swing type song. Your standards are very high and this one stands right up there. A Super Listen ! Tom
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/20/15 11:25 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
J&B, As usual this has a fantastic arrangement , mix and vocal. As Herb said" regeneration is the secret to smoking hot solos" . This is how it's done. The solos sound great and of course they are the hallmark of any Western Swing type song. Your standards are very high and this one stands right up there. A Super Listen ! Tom

J&B -

I'll echo the other third of I75 here. You chillun's be doin' it jes fine!

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/21/15 04:18 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
This is a cool cover! We also listened to the original version (which is also nice but sounds kind of crackling ;-)
Top-notch production as usual, well arranged and very well sung!

Glad you liked it! We first heard it on an old compilation album of 78 transcripts...and, yep, it was crackling for sure.

Thanks for the comments.

J&B

Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Very cool song. Loved it.

Thanks Scott!

J&B
Posted By: RichMac Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/21/15 06:20 PM
Good lively fun and very well done. Don't know the song but the melody certainly feels familiar. Cheers.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/22/15 11:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
As I was reading that I thought what a great testimonial for BIAB!

I'll steal RnAm's comment -

"Top-notch production as usual, well arranged and very well sung!"

Ditto.

Thanks Josie! We appreciate you.

J&B
Posted By: olemon Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/22/15 12:43 PM
Thanks for the backstory. It prompted me to check my BiaB purchase date...two years ago this Dec...which is when I first heard your music after being steered this way by Herb H.

Bud, Janice,

Every song you sing/produce/write/co-write is just top notch, always. One can't help but hear that in this recording as well.

Your Friend would appreciate the tribute and the remembrance.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/22/15 06:57 PM
Bud & Janice...

This is just flat out Gooooooooooooood.....

First time I heard y'all way back then, I was impressed. I am more impressed with each new post. I put Bud first in my salutation - the production is incredible - and Janice knows that she is one on my favorite singers - she should be a STAR. Period. The productions always sound like a group of musicians on a front porch - that have played together for 50 years. There ought to be a permanent link on the PG site that plays your songs one after another - 20 second snippets - the perfect testimonial to BIAB - what can be done in the hands of a pro...

As good as it gets.

Period.

floyd
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/22/15 11:57 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Great arrangement, really nice southern style, and the fiddle fits in perfectly. Absolutely sensational vocal. The mandolin certainly wasn't out of place either.

I like the way you comped the solos too, great outcome.

Overall top class delivery, thanks!

Thanks! Glad you liked those comped solos - they were fun and challenging. Thanks again for listening and commenting.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/23/15 05:26 PM
Originally Posted By: SRP
J&B, I like simplicity as you can tell by my songs. KISS has always been my philosophy and what you guys do brings out the best in both of you. Good song, production, lyrics, vocals and BIAB choses. I enjoyed listening and thanks for sharing.
Sonny

Thanks Sonny. The older I get the more KISS applies to many aspect of life!

Bud
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/25/15 04:40 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Janice & Bud.
Superb! You make it hard to comment I'd rather just listen.

Thanks Peter!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
cool jukin song.

Nice quality fiddle, mando and piano sounds in the solos

regeneration is the secret to smoking hot solos

ever read the book... Children of the corn? Talk about evil chillin....

Thank you Herb. Glad you liked the solos. Nope never read it but saw the promos and that was enough!

J&B

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Janice & Bud,

I remember this was your first song posted. But I can't remember what it really sounded like. Your new version blooms with Janice's vocals and Bud's arrangement, mixing and mastering. I'm especially impressed by the great solos of the different instruments.
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter

Thank you for mentioning the solos, Guenter. They took a lot of regens but also a lot of comping -- particularly to get the last bar to work with the upcoming vocal.

Glad you liked it!

J&B
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/25/15 09:17 PM

Nice western song.

Great voice as usual.

Sergio
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/26/15 12:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Nice Jammin' tune!! Really well arranged (and of course sung-we would not expect any less). Solos worked perfectly. Another excellent contribution from the dynamic duo!! Take care. Greg

Thank you Greg and we appreciate you mentioning the arrangement and solos!

J&B
Posted By: gibson Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/26/15 05:03 AM
J+B

At last soundcloud let me play some songs today.

Everything about that song was what I expected ie absolutely excellent, A good clear mix and wonderful vocals, that lady should go far sounding like that grin laugh

thanks for the listen

Alyn
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/28/15 10:00 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Janice & Bud,

Is this a cool song ... or what? I've always loved western Swing. Asleep At The Wheel is one of my favorite listens. Everything about this is superb. And Janice's voice sets perfectly in this great mix. What a treat ... thanks guys!

Alan

Thanks y'all! We've listened to Asleep for many years. Great stuff.

J&B

Thanks Tom. We appreciate your comments very much. Thanks for noting the comped solos!

J&B
Posted By: Caloo Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 11/29/15 09:09 PM
Congratulations Janice & Bud !

An excellent demo of the power of BiaB. Listening to your tune, I realize that there is an other solution to finish a solo cleanly (that I didn't think about): asking more bars that necessary and fading them out (eg mandolin in your tune)

I have listened to your other songs on youtube : different ambiences but all really pleasant !

Pascal
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 12/01/15 02:37 PM
Man, this take me back to the day. I love this style! Great performance!!
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 12/02/15 05:52 PM
Top marks for this one.
Those great vocals takes this over the top surely-evil-not.
Rob
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 12/02/15 09:18 PM
Very, very good stuff! Excellent production. You just keep getting better and better! Vocal, as always, are spot on!

Steve
Posted By: dcuny Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 12/03/15 03:18 AM
As always, well sung by Janice.

And the arrangement - it doesn't just sound like there's a band there, but the best session players in the business.

Impressive in every regard.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 12/04/15 12:15 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

J&B -

I'll echo the other third of I75 here. You chillun's be doin' it jes fine!

Regards,

Bob

Thanks Bob. We do try!

J&B

Originally Posted By: RichMac
Good lively fun and very well done. Don't know the song but the melody certainly feels familiar. Cheers.

Thanks. It was an obscure 1930's recording. The melody may very have been used by others as is typical with PD tunes. Glad you liked it!

J&B

Originally Posted By: olemon
Thanks for the backstory. It prompted me to check my BiaB purchase date...two years ago this Dec...which is when I first heard your music after being steered this way by Herb H.

Bud, Janice,

Every song you sing/produce/write/co-write is just top notch, always. One can't help but hear that in this recording as well.

Your Friend would appreciate the tribute and the remembrance.

Thank you very much for taking the time to listen and comment!

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 12/06/15 10:27 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Bud & Janice...

This is just flat out Gooooooooooooood.....

First time I heard y'all way back then, I was impressed. I am more impressed with each new post. I put Bud first in my salutation - the production is incredible - and Janice knows that she is one on my favorite singers - she should be a STAR. Period. The productions always sound like a group of musicians on a front porch - that have played together for 50 years. There ought to be a permanent link on the PG site that plays your songs one after another - 20 second snippets - the perfect testimonial to BIAB - what can be done in the hands of a pro...

As good as it gets.

Period.

floyd

Floyd, thanks so much for commenting on the production and for all your counsel on my production efforts. I do try to make the production sound as much as possible like a tight band and one that is playing live. Comments like yours keep me on that journey!

Bud

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Nice western song.

Great voice as usual.

Sergio

Thank you Sergio!

Janice
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 12/11/15 11:26 AM
Originally Posted By: gibson
J+B

At last soundcloud let me play some songs today.

Everything about that song was what I expected ie absolutely excellent, A good clear mix and wonderful vocals, that lady should go far sounding like that grin laugh

thanks for the listen

Alyn

Thanks Alyn. Glad you enjoyed the spin!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Caloo
Congratulations Janice & Bud !

An excellent demo of the power of BiaB. Listening to your tune, I realize that there is an other solution to finish a solo cleanly (that I didn't think about): asking more bars that necessary and fading them out (eg mandolin in your tune)

I have listened to your other songs on youtube : different ambiences but all really pleasant !

Pascal

Thanks Pascal and we appreciate you mentioning the solos. I suppose playing in a bluegrass band for years gave us the solo fade out perspective as BG pickers will sort of move slowing away from the mic at the end of the solo leaving a few riffs to bleed into the vocal. Appreciate it!

J&B

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Man, this take me back to the day. I love this style! Great performance!!

Thanks David. Yep, Western Swing is one fun genre!

J&B
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 12/11/15 07:40 PM
Hi Janice and Bud,

Magnificent music!!!!

Just a moment ago, I wrote in a comment on one of Tom's songs that I couldn't believe I was hearing BIAB. That's exactly the same here. There's not a trace of automation in this backing at all. It was so easy to imagine musicians performing for the entire length of the track. If I heard this version on the radio, I'd be thinking that it was a world-class Americana group performing. Bud your audio-clip-grafting skills are as exceptional as Janice's outstanding vocals.

I think I'd better wait a couple of hours before I head back to the song I'm presently mixing. I'm pretty sure that it's going to sound insipid after what I've just heard smile

All the best to you both,
Noel
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 12/14/15 01:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Top marks for this one.
Those great vocals takes this over the top surely-evil-not.
Rob

Thanks Rob. Glad you like the vocal!!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Very, very good stuff! Excellent production. You just keep getting better and better! Vocal, as always, are spot on!

Steve

Thanks Steve. There seems no end of things to learn about production variables...but we keep trying!

J&B

Originally Posted By: dcuny
As always, well sung by Janice.

And the arrangement - it doesn't just sound like there's a band there, but the best session players in the business.

Impressive in every regard.

Thank you very much. That is exactly what we try to achieve! Let those RT artists shine.

J&B

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Janice and Bud,

Magnificent music!!!!

Just a moment ago, I wrote in a comment on one of Tom's songs that I couldn't believe I was hearing BIAB. That's exactly the same here. There's not a trace of automation in this backing at all. It was so easy to imagine musicians performing for the entire length of the track. If I heard this version on the radio, I'd be thinking that it was a world-class Americana group performing. Bud your audio-clip-grafting skills are as exceptional as Janice's outstanding vocals.

I think I'd better wait a couple of hours before I head back to the song I'm presently mixing. I'm pretty sure that it's going to sound insipid after what I've just heard smile

All the best to you both,
Noel

Noel, I highly suspect what you are working on will sound like all of your productions, i.e., GREAT!

Thanks for mentioning the track comping and Janice's vocals. I wish my mixing came as easy to me as the vocals do to Janice!

We appreciate your remarks very much.

Bud
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Evil Chillun 2.0 - 12/14/15 03:52 PM

Great tune. Very well sung and played.
Great work as usual.

Sergio
© PG Music Forums