PG Music Home
Posted By: David Snyder New Song: More - 12/01/15 03:12 PM

Well Peeps,

I just got some very positive feedback from Nashville on this one. The style was described as "radio."

https://soundcloud.com/david-snyder-gigs/more

I built a little backing style and then added some home spices, but not too much. I am finding less is more and BIAB beds are solid as concrete for songwriting and song submission.

Lyrics are on Soundcloud. The user-made bed is below and other live tracks include two acoustics and a Telecaster, but not too much.

Great stuff on the forums these days! I am learning a lot from you guys!!

****** Song Summary *************
Title: More
File:More5.SGU
Key=A , Tempo 105, Length (m:s)=3:00
No intro. 75 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 75. Repeat x1 chorus
Style is DCNTRY.STY
RealTracks in style: ~518:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 1004:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Rhythm ClassicRockStrumming Ev16 065
RealTracks in style: 1421:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopCrossover Sw16 075
RealTracks in style: 1680:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 085
RealDrums in style: NashvillePop16^1-a:Snare, Hihat , b:Snare, Ride
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: New Song: More - 12/01/15 04:35 PM
Soundcloud is having an issue with their website and the page won't load. FYI

Trax
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song: More - 12/01/15 05:44 PM
Hi David. Cool song!! It's got great energy, lyrics that are fun but still substantive, and a catchy melody. I don't know if the production is quite as clean as your last but I love the song and the vibe. Great work!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: David Snyder Re: New Song: More - 12/01/15 09:02 PM
Thanks Greg. I am not a huge fan of SoundCloud's apparent streaming quality but that is where most people post stuff. I can't seem to mix for SoundCloud. What I hear coming out of my studio is not anything like what I hear streaming when I post it there; it sounds like it is coming out of a tin can. Maybe SoundCloud suitable mixing is an art form. I dunno. Thanks for the feedback though!!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: New Song: More - 12/01/15 10:34 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Thanks Greg. I am not a huge fan of SoundCloud's apparent streaming quality but that is where most people post stuff. I can't seem to mix for SoundCloud. What I hear coming out of my studio is not anything like what I hear streaming when I post it there; it sounds like it is coming out of a tin can. Maybe SoundCloud suitable mixing is an art form. I dunno. Thanks for the feedback though!!

What kind of monitors are you using to mix?

With decent monitors and a high bit rate mp3 conversion, the mix should sound good no matter where it's posted. The speakers you use to listen to SC also play a factor.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: New Song: More - 12/01/15 11:06 PM
Hey Herb,

I have a variety of different speaker set ups I use. But I personally think all streaming music dilutes what the artist intended, and can never deliver the sonic spectrum of a good mix. Tom Petty says the same thing about streaming music so I am apparently not the only one. As Petty says, or something like this: "With streaming you hear about 1/100th of the music. I hate it." Or something to that effect. I also think streaming music (especially through a phone) generally sounds thin, weak, warbly, and missing entire dynamic ranges. BUT, it is a great way to hear everyone's tunes so I should not complain, yet it will never be as good as VINYL:) Or better yet, a FOUR TRACK REEL TO REEL. If we could all mail one another reel to reel tapes we would be in heaven. Until then, I guess we will have to let SoundCloud do. Thanks for the feedback.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: New Song: More - 12/02/15 01:55 AM
Really enjoyed the guitar work. The 12 string was perfect.

A lot of dedication in those lyrics, too.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: New Song: More - 12/02/15 09:51 AM
David, Always upload your songs with the highest mp3 resolution (320kbs). Some players will reduce that to 128.

Done properly, you should still get a very good representation of the music. Much depends on how you are listening. Phones and laptops are not the best to playback media. However, using good buds makes even those players sound good.

Don't use what T Petty said as an excuse for sub-par mixes because while what he said is a bit exaggerated, (1/100th?) to most people, to the average listener, the mp3 at 128, 320, and a wave all sound too close to really tell the difference. Not including musicians and audiophiles in that list necessarily.

I listened to your song on some tiny 3" Altec Lansing computer speakers. The mix sounded pretty decent overall. It has a Bob Dylan feel. It reminded me of the groove in Tangled up in Blue....

Crits: The word ALABAMA doesn't fit neatly into the rhythmic phrasing smoothly like it should. Chord clash issues at 1:15 Aside from those 2 nits.... the song is generally pretty good.

Maybe you can bring the NSAI review to our next meeting (12/16) and demo this song for the group with the comments by NSAI, because I'm curious to see what the reviewer thought of this.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New Song: More - 12/02/15 10:28 AM
David

I like the rhythm of the "bed" (as you call it).

You bring a lot of energy to your vocals.

floyd
Posted By: David Snyder Re: New Song: More - 12/02/15 12:19 PM
Hey Thank you! I really appreciate that!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: New Song: More - 12/02/15 12:19 PM
Hey thanks a lot!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: New Song: More - 12/02/15 12:24 PM
Here's a link you might find interesting regarding mixing for soundcloud.
Soundcloud Mixing

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Hi David. Cool song!! It's got great energy, lyrics that are fun but still substantive, and a catchy melody... Greg

I like what Greg said. "Fun but still substantive" lyrics. That's a hard to hit sweet spot.

Good work!!

J&B
Posted By: David Snyder Re: New Song: More - 12/02/15 12:35 PM
Thanks Herb. The feedback from NSAI is easily explained. It is the best eval I have received from them so far by far. They basically said they loved it. I don't want to boast about it because that's not cool but in a nutshell they essentially said this is the kind of stuff they are looking for and is the kind of stuff that gets picked up and that I should write more like this. So now that I know that, I have a better idea of what to do. As you astutely stated in our last meeting, Nashville has turned into a rock and roll town. As you also wisely pointed out, the session players who make the sounds these days are rock players, not country players, and the sound is rock. Therefore, I have taken your suggestion and started using the hard rock beds in BIAB and layering them, and lo and behold, they like the sound. So, once again, you are right. My main take away is that I am going to stick with what I love--writing rock and roll--and both you and NSAI have now given me every reason to do so. And BIAB gives me the beds to make it happen--with molten lava. I am going to Sam Ash right now to get new Telecaster strings. I will be turning the Twin Reverb up to 10. I think I got it now. Thanks for the solid direction Herb and for getting me into this!!!! You are a true friend, guru, and mentor!!:)
Posted By: boehm Re: New Song: More - 12/02/15 01:35 PM
Hi David,
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

I like the rhythm of the "bed" (as you call it).
You bring a lot of energy to your vocals.

I enjoyed my listen.

Guenter
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: New Song: More - 12/02/15 01:38 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Thanks Herb. The feedback from NSAI is easily explained. It is the best eval I have received from them so far by far. They basically said they loved it. I don't want to boast about it because that's not cool but in a nutshell they essentially said this is the kind of stuff they are looking for and is the kind of stuff that gets picked up and that I should write more like this. So now that I know that, I have a better idea of what to do. As you astutely stated in our last meeting, Nashville has turned into a rock and roll town. As you also wisely pointed out, the session players who make the sounds these days are rock players, not country players, and the sound is rock. Therefore, I have taken your suggestion and started using the hard rock beds in BIAB and layering them, and lo and behold, they like the sound. So, once again, you are right. My main take away is that I am going to stick with what I love--writing rock and roll--and both you and NSAI have now given me every reason to do so. And BIAB gives me the beds to make it happen--with molten lava. I am going to Sam Ash right now to get new Telecaster strings. I will be turning the Twin Reverb up to 10. I think I got it now. Thanks for the solid direction Herb and for getting me into this!!!! You are a true friend, guru, and mentor!!:)

blush
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: New Song: More - 12/02/15 05:49 PM
More great work sir.
Rob
Posted By: RnAM Re: New Song: More - 12/02/15 10:32 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Really enjoyed the guitar work. The 12 string was perfect.

A lot of dedication in those lyrics, too.

we definitely agree!
Well done David.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: New Song: More - 12/02/15 11:01 PM
Cool song. I really like it. I'm glad you and Herb had a bit of back and forth about NSAI and Nashville. As good as I like it, I was left wondering what Nashville would do with this one.

This is a good song to work some shots and holds into. I heard several places I thought they would suit the song.

Enjoyed my listen.
Posted By: gibson Re: New Song: More - 12/03/15 01:00 AM
Interesting song especially when you say
Quote:
they essentially said this is the kind of stuff they are looking for and is the kind of stuff that gets picked up and that I should write more like this.
I have a few like this I must dig them out.

Back to your song, great cliches and I like the way you fit Alabama smile
enjoyed

Alyn
Posted By: SRP Re: New Song: More - 12/03/15 01:43 AM
Hi David,
Good upbeat song and I like the rhythm of the instruments you used for this song. I wish you the best on your journey with the Nashville crowd. Enjoyed!
Posted By: dcuny Re: New Song: More - 12/03/15 02:23 AM
Fun listen.

I'll note that since "Paris" has been in the headlines, it took me a moment to figure out which "Paris" you were talking about.
Posted By: tommyad Re: New Song: More - 12/03/15 12:49 PM
Originally Posted By: SRP
Hi David,
Good upbeat song and I like the rhythm of the instruments you used for this song. I wish you the best on your journey with the Nashville crowd. Enjoyed!
+1. I also would like to say that it is great to hear someone so enthusiastic about writing songs. Keep up the good work. Tom
Posted By: David Snyder Re: New Song: More - 12/03/15 05:08 PM
Thanks Rob!!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: New Song: More - 12/03/15 05:09 PM
Thanks Tommy!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: New Song: More - 12/03/15 05:09 PM
Thank you sir!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: New Song: More - 12/03/15 05:10 PM
Dig 'em out!!! I can't wait to gear them! Make sure you ping me here the moment you do oak??
smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: New Song: More - 12/03/15 05:11 PM
Actually, was talking about both!! smile

Thanks for the feedback!!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: New Song: More - 12/03/15 05:17 PM
Hey Charlie,

I have no idea!!!!!! I am wondering the same thing, and though I don't obsess over stuff like that I am intrigued by the very favorable comments I received as well. It's just straight up rock and roll with some lyrics that took me a while to figure out. If there is ANY interest in this type of music commercially in the country sphere that makes me more comfortable, because I don't write the kind of stuff that's on radio--I write old school rock. (Also some classical and jazz but that's another story.)

So I dunno man. I'm just going keep writing what I know and see where it goes. Thanks for the comments.
© PG Music Forums