PG Music Home
Posted By: aleck rand To Natalie Cole - 01/01/16 08:23 PM
I just learned of the passing of Natalie Cole from Ray's post in the Off Topic Forum. This is a tune that Natalie did, sung by Naomi Jones (aka NayJ) one of the few singers on SoundCloud who can stand as Natalie's equal. I think you'll find her performance nothing short of amazing. This is also a progress report on my transition, which is coming along nicely in good part due to the exceptional kindness shown me by the members of this Forum. I'll never forget it.

Vocal: NayJ
Arrangement, keys, bass: Aleck Rand
RealDrummer: Terry Clarke

[Link no longer valid]
Posted By: dani48 Re: To Natalie Cole - 01/01/16 08:48 PM
Hi, budĀ“!

This is nothing short of pure magic !!!

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Sundance Re: To Natalie Cole - 01/01/16 08:53 PM
Magic it is and Wonderfully done! Love her voice!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: To Natalie Cole - 01/02/16 01:59 AM
Did not know of Natalie's passing. I was a fan of hers, and a die hard fan of her father. If I had to choose between his Christmas music and all of the rest, it would be a tough choice. This is incredibly well done!! A beautiful song done to a level that the song deserves. Great arrangement, great vocal, and great mix. It really knocked me out! I don't think I've ever seen a song on Soundcloud where 10 percent of the listeners have posted likes. AWESOME!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Al-David Re: To Natalie Cole - 01/02/16 10:19 AM
We were saddened to hear of Natalie Cole's passing on Thursday. Such a remarkable talent. RIP

And here, is another remarkable combo ... you two! This is just so danged good. We'll sum it up in two words ...

SUPER SWEET!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: To Natalie Cole - 01/02/16 10:25 AM
Beautifully done, Dean.

Wonderfully subtle arrangement that allows that incredible voice be the true star.

Big wow.

floyd
Posted By: SRP Re: To Natalie Cole - 01/02/16 10:40 AM
Incredible! I enjoyed this very much!
Sonny
Posted By: boehm Re: To Natalie Cole - 01/02/16 12:25 PM
Hi Dean,

just great.

Guenter
Posted By: aleck rand Re: To Natalie Cole - 01/02/16 05:04 PM
Floyd,

I appreciate these and your warm words of encouragement more than I can say. I'm replying to your comment first to bang this across. To make sure that you know you have my respect as an artist and a class guy.

Dean
Posted By: Scott C Re: To Natalie Cole - 01/03/16 12:02 AM
What and awesome song. Was also very sad to hear of Natalie Cole's passing. Had a bit of a crush on her since I was very young. She was an incredible singer and her dad too.

Ms Jones has a beautiful voice and the back track was incredible..
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: To Natalie Cole - 01/04/16 11:30 AM
That is really something Dean. What a lovely voice.

I am so sorry to read of the troubles you are having with your health. Keep strong. We are routing for you.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: To Natalie Cole - 01/05/16 03:28 PM
We read about her passing last week. This is a
stunning production featuring an incredibly
classy vocal.

We enjoyed it.

Happy new year and we hope it brings you progress.
Posted By: aleck rand Re: To Natalie Cole - 01/07/16 05:28 PM
Al and Di,

Your kindness shines through as always. We were in the grip of some kind of magic on this one. NayJ did it in one take, despite the fact that I had screwed up the chords behind the crescendo "Niiiiiiight.." so bad, it was like trying to point straight ahead in a 100 mph cross wind. Yet, she held the pitch despite the ferocious force trying to push her out of tune. You don't get to hear those chords, of course. I corrected them not knowing what to expect. I thought, oh well, another take. It wasn't needed.

There was magic there and I'm glad to hear I'm not delusional. Thank you for everything.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: To Natalie Cole - 01/08/16 11:55 AM
Thank you Josie. Yeh, she's good. Almost as good as you.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: To Natalie Cole - 01/08/16 11:56 AM
JosieC,

I appreciated your warm wishes and kind remarks very much. Thank you.
Posted By: aleck rand Re: To Natalie Cole - 01/08/16 12:03 PM
Janice and Bud,

We did have some kind of spell working in our favor. My comment to Al and Di shows that NayJ can hold a pitch in a choir of hound dawgs ... dancing on a tin roof.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: To Natalie Cole - 01/08/16 12:07 PM
JosieC,

You're so kind. Remember what "Ah-nold" said ...

............................AH'll BE BECK!

Dean
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: To Natalie Cole - 01/08/16 12:48 PM
Wow. What a great track. Remarkable arrangement and performance. Enjoyed listening.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: To Natalie Cole - 01/09/16 02:32 PM
hi dean that was outstanding in so many ways very enjoyable thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: Noel96 Re: To Natalie Cole - 01/13/16 12:33 PM
I might be late to the party but that doesn't change the fact that this is absolutely outstanding! Dean, you're a musical legend! Seriously.

All the best,
Noel
© PG Music Forums