PG Music Home
Posted By: tommyad A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/03/16 11:29 AM
Straight Up Traditional Jukebox Country. Songwriting is a form of therapy? It still hurts 40 years later. Thanks to Janice Merritt for the real deal harmony.

http://tommyadamsmusic.com/music

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13288302

Style is _ROUNDUP.STY
Style MIDI Instruments are : Acoustic Piano (1),
RealTracks in style: ~1112:Fiddle, Background, Country Swing SW 110
RealTracks in song: ~1141:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountrySwingCleanPicked Sw 110
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 1890:Piano, Solo-Accompaniment CountrySwingJohn Sw 120
RealTracks in song: 2048:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment CountrySwingJohn Sw 120
RealTracks in song: 2123:Piano, Acoustic, Soloist CountryShuffleJohn Sw 120
Royalty Free Loops, Multitrack Instrument and Song Files and Multitrack Drums from Drums on Demand and Bass on Demand

Vocals ,Telecaster and Pedal Steel: Tom Adams
Harmony Vocal: Janice Merritt

Recorded in Logic Pro x
Alloy2, Nectar2
Mastered with Ozone6 and Waves LinMB

A Darker Shade Of Blue

There’s a bar just past our empty house down off Danners Rd

a double shot of Cuervo might lighten up my load

All I’m trying to do tonight is rearrange my mind

I never was the all night drinkin kind

Through the tears you said you loved us both and I'll take that to my grave

I told you that you’d have to choose that's just how I was raised

He grew up right beside me close as one is to two

Never thought that he would play me for the fool

No forgiveness or new beginnings That’s it we’re at the end

It’s an ugly situation since you run off to be with him

It’s one thing to lose your best friend never mind losing two

the sky just turned a darker shade of blue

I just can’t forget the past I just can’t move on

feels like I’m stuck inside some old country song

your cheatin heart yeah play me blue eyes cryin in the rain

Maybe one more round might help to ease the pain

No forgiveness or new beginnings That’s it we’re at the end

It’s an ugly situation since you run off to be with him

It’s one thing to lose your best friend never mind losing two

the sky just turned a darker shade of blue

©2016 Thomas Adams
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/03/16 12:14 PM
Very good songwriting and performance! Outstanding production too, love the mix, sounds great through the headphones.
Posted By: ROG Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/03/16 12:47 PM
Hi Tom.

Great title and nice the way it featured at the end of the chorus - a real hook line. I just know I'm going to be singing that song for the rest of the day!

Great backing, wonderful pedal steel and first class vocals from you and of course, Janice.

A bit of classic country.

ROG.
Posted By: boehm Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/03/16 01:58 PM
Hi Tommy,

your usual high standard.
Great vocals by you and Janice.
And not to forget guitar and steel.
I enjoyed my listen.

Guenter
Posted By: 90 dB Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/03/16 03:57 PM
More good stuff Tommy. I75 rides again! grin

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/03/16 10:08 PM
Oh yes, straight up, jukebox country.

Enjoyed my listen.
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/03/16 11:24 PM
Hi Tom ...

Love this good ole country sound. I (Alan) grew up playing this kind of music. Your pedal steel playing is superb ... perfect for traditional country. As I listened, I was thinking, who might have had had a hit with this (it's hit-worthy in the era!), then it dawned on me ... Vern Gosdin! I can hear it now. But we sure did enjoy hearing the Tom Adams version!!! Of course Janice tops off everything she does like a cherry n a hot fudge sundae.

Great stuff, Tom ... Seriously!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/04/16 12:32 AM

Just love that!! A clever little irony and homage all wrapped in some sincere emotion. This is another A-1 production and song. Easier to say what's wrong (nothing) than what's right. It all works really well. Janice is always a great addition, and as good as the RTs are, some custom guitar always sweetens it just a bit more. As a bonus, I got to listen to "That Night", and "A perfect match" again. You had a great year Tom, and now you're opening up '16 on a great note!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/04/16 09:05 AM
Great delivery Tommy.

This is some of the best "cryin' in your beer music" I've ever heard ( wink )

No, seriously, this is really nice. Great lyrics, and style. And Janice on harmonies, well, no wonder it's good.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/04/16 10:48 AM
Tom,

About as "classic country" as it comes.

"feels like I’m stuck inside some old country song"
HA! great line. The chorus is nicely structured...
"No forgiveness / or new beginnings / That’s it / we’re at the end "

Production is so nicely "crisp" start to finish. Steel work is superb!

Harmonies are perfect (of course).

Classic.

fj
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/04/16 11:26 AM
Oh wow Tommy. Have I missed hearing this great music on the forum lately, or what? That deep first note is something else!
Posted By: RnAM Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/04/16 01:32 PM
Again, very nicely done Tom!
Good ol' country sound, good vocals and a professional use of the pedal steel.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/04/16 06:49 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Very good songwriting and performance! Outstanding production too, love the mix, sounds great through the headphones.
Dave, Thanks for the nice review. I appreciate it. Tom
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Tom.

Great title and nice the way it featured at the end of the chorus - a real hook line. I just know I'm going to be singing that song for the rest of the day!

Great backing, wonderful pedal steel and first class vocals from you and of course, Janice.

A bit of classic country.

ROG.
ROG, Sometimes the simple ones are the hardest to nail down. I have been chipping away at this one for over a year! Thanks for the nice words, Tom
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Tommy,

your usual high standard.
Great vocals by you and Janice.
And not to forget guitar and steel.
I enjoyed my listen.

Guenter
Guenter, Thanks for saying all those great things. It's good to hear it from you. Tom
Posted By: PeterF Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/05/16 04:18 AM
Tom
Excellently constructed country song and great delivery from both you and Janice.
The pedal steel was spot on - as was the additional guitar.
Great country sound.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/05/16 08:23 AM
Classic country classically done. Nice pedal steel playing for sure. Well done and a fun listen .. about a sad subject. The harmonies are mighty fine. Some well placed references to other classic tunes.
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/05/16 06:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Oh yes, straight up, jukebox country.

Enjoyed my listen.
Set em up Joe! Yes Haw! Thanks Charlie, Tom
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Tom ...

Love this good ole country sound. I (Alan) grew up playing this kind of music. Your pedal steel playing is superb ... perfect for traditional country. As I listened, I was thinking, who might have had had a hit with this (it's hit-worthy in the era!), then it dawned on me ... Vern Gosdin! I can hear it now. But we sure did enjoy hearing the Tom Adams version!!! Of course Janice tops off everything she does like a cherry n a hot fudge sundae.

Great stuff, Tom ... Seriously!
Vern,Merle,George J and lately Jamey Johnson. They were all somewhere in the back of my mind. Thanks for the wonderful review. Much appreciated. Tom
Posted By: Scott C Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/05/16 11:50 PM
Hi Tom

Awesome country tune. Wants you to get up out of the chair and commence two-steppin. :-)

Well done.

Scott
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/06/16 08:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Just love that!! A clever little irony and homage all wrapped in some sincere emotion. This is another A-1 production and song. Easier to say what's wrong (nothing) than what's right. It all works really well. Janice is always a great addition, and as good as the RTs are, some custom guitar always sweetens it just a bit more. As a bonus, I got to listen to "That Night", and "A perfect match" again. You had a great year Tom, and now you're opening up '16 on a great note!! Take care. Greg
Greg, That second verse shows the power of the rewrite. I really think that the magic in songwriting lies in the ability to put it away and then come back and take another look. Most of my rewrites have been very successful in making the song better. Thanks for your support, Tom
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Great delivery Tommy.

This is some of the best "cryin' in your beer music" I've ever heard ( wink )

No, seriously, this is really nice. Great lyrics, and style. And Janice on harmonies, well, no wonder it's good.
Trevor, Thanks and yes Janice really adds a lot. It's not the same without her. Tom
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Tom,

About as "classic country" as it comes.

"feels like I’m stuck inside some old country song"
HA! great line. The chorus is nicely structured...
"No forgiveness / or new beginnings / That’s it / we’re at the end "

Production is so nicely "crisp" start to finish. Steel work is superb!

Harmonies are perfect (of course).

Classic.

fj
Thanks for the great review. I was trying to capture the time period that the incident took place. There was a little 10 seat bar five miles down the road from the farm where we lived that had the best jukebox in the world or at least in the county. I listened to many a Tear in your beer 45's there. Thanks again, Tom
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/07/16 09:55 AM
Really nice song.

This is, without a doubt, my favorite style of country.

There's soooooo much to love about this..... from the lyrics to the strumming acoustics that are laying down the groove, to the superbly crafted lyrical phrases..... oh yeah, and that steel guitar playing.

My first thought when I heard the steel guitar was...OMG, I gotta know what RT that is. You need to call Peter G and make a deal to get some of YOUR playing into the real tracks that come with future versions.

Absolutely loved it.

Edit: still letting it play as I do other things.... love that chord at 3:14 I was expecting a key change but you resolved it nicely to the same key. Wasn't expecting that. Nice
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/08/16 10:07 AM
Originally Posted By: JosieC
Oh wow Tommy. Have I missed hearing this great music on the forum lately, or what? That deep first note is something else!
JoAnne, good to see you around again. you've been missed. Thanks for the listen. Tom
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Again, very nicely done Tom!
Good ol' country sound, good vocals and a professional use of the pedal steel.

Rob and Anne-Marie
RnAM. Thanks for the nice comments. Tom
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Tom
Excellently constructed country song and great delivery from both you and Janice.
The pedal steel was spot on - as was the additional guitar.
Great country sound.
Peter, Glad you liked it. Tom
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/09/16 08:05 AM

Great country sound in this song.
Great vocals and super duet part.

Sergio
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/10/16 11:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Kemmrich
Classic country classically done. Nice pedal steel playing for sure. Well done and a fun listen .. about a sad subject. The harmonies are mighty fine. Some well placed references to other classic tunes.
Kevin, Thanks for the kind words. Tom
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Hi Tom

Awesome country tune. Wants you to get up out of the chair and commence two-steppin. :-)

Well done.

Scott
Scott, Glad you liked it. Tom
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Really nice song.

This is, without a doubt, my favorite style of country.

There's soooooo much to love about this..... from the lyrics to the strumming acoustics that are laying down the groove, to the superbly crafted lyrical phrases..... oh yeah, and that steel guitar playing.

My first thought when I heard the steel guitar was...OMG, I gotta know what RT that is. You need to call Peter G and make a deal to get some of YOUR playing into the real tracks that come with future versions.

Absolutely loved it.

Edit: still letting it play as I do other things.... love that chord at 3:14 I was expecting a key change but you resolved it nicely to the same key. Wasn't expecting that. Nice
Herb, I was glad you got to hear this one. It's right up your alley. Thanks, Tom
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/11/16 01:02 PM
"I'm one of those cats that if I hear a sad song, it makes me feel good in some way."
Chris Stapelton

"...feels like I’m stuck inside some old country song."

You simply either get this style of country or you don't.

In 1969 in grad school the closest place to get a beer was a sawdust floor cinder
block honky tonk a ways down the road and across the county line from our "dry"
county. In spite of being into blues rock I learned to love "tears in your beer" songs
at this place and it has never left. Janice learned it from her mother and daddy.

When it's done right like this song it will, as I keep saying, rip the paint right off of
your heart. We need more of this...country that is heartfelt and has soul and speaks
to the trials and tribulations of everyday life.

Yep, we like it and Janice was DELIGHTED to be asked to play a small role in it.

I couldn't find a single nit if I spent three weeks trying. Its a wonderful production
that hits the target square on the head in ALL aspects!

J&B

www.janiceandbud.com
Posted By: dani48 Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/11/16 01:11 PM
Hi, Tommy !

This is just superb
and immediately
became my new Tomfav !!!:))

Janice harmony is the
icing on the cake !!

WOW !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: 44kfl Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/11/16 01:45 PM
That's one fine country sound! great write and performance, lead vocal, Janice harmonies, mix, everything is sounding so good to me!

Kenny
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/12/16 12:07 AM
Tommy,
Just what I needed tonight. Fighting a bout of depression. Thanks.
Great song, performance and production.
SD
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/12/16 03:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Great country sound in this song.
Great vocals and super duet part.

Sergio
Sergio, Many Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"I'm one of those cats that if I hear a sad song, it makes me feel good in some way."
Chris Stapelton

"...feels like I’m stuck inside some old country song."

You simply either get this style of country or you don't.

In 1969 in grad school the closest place to get a beer was a sawdust floor cinder
block honky tonk a ways down the road and across the county line from our "dry"
county. In spite of being into blues rock I learned to love "tears in your beer" songs
at this place and it has never left. Janice learned it from her mother and daddy.

When it's done right like this song it will, as I keep saying, rip the paint right off of
your heart. We need more of this...country that is heartfelt and has soul and speaks
to the trials and tribulations of everyday life.

Yep, we like it and Janice was DELIGHTED to be asked to play a small role in it.

I couldn't find a single nit if I spent three weeks trying. Its a wonderful production
that hits the target square on the head in ALL aspects!

J&B

www.janiceandbud.com
Thanks for all that! Janice nailed the harmony. I knew she would. Always a pleasure to work with y'all. Tom
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Tommy !

This is just superb
and immediately
became my new Tomfav !!!:))

Janice harmony is the
icing on the cake !!

WOW !

Cheers
Dani
Dani, Anytime I can get a WOW it makes my day. Thanks, Tom
Posted By: SRP Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/12/16 07:37 PM
Another fantastic song Tom. You have done it again with a great recording, instruments, mix and vocals (and of course Janice's touch). You have such a great feel for everything that you do and it's always a pleasure to hear what you come up with next. As far as traditional country goes, I haven't heard any better (even George Jones). I enjoyed it!
Sonny
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/13/16 03:15 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
That's one fine country sound! great write and performance, lead vocal, Janice harmonies, mix, everything is sounding so good to me!

Kenny
Kenny, Glad you liked it. Tom
Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Tommy,
Just what I needed tonight. Fighting a bout of depression. Thanks.
Great song, performance and production.
SD
If you're depressed, don't listen to this one more than once. Feel better, Tom
Originally Posted By: SRP
Another fantastic song Tom. You have done it again with a great recording, instruments, mix and vocals (and of course Janice's touch). You have such a great feel for everything that you do and it's always a pleasure to hear what you come up with next. As far as traditional country goes, I haven't heard any better (even George Jones). I enjoyed it!
Sonny
Sonny, Thanks so much for the wonderful comments. Tom
Posted By: gibson Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/14/16 09:21 AM
Tom,

You had me crying in my coffee cry This is Country as it should be.
Nice guitar work and Janice's backing vocals just make this perfect

marvellous
A good way to start the year

excellent

Alyn
Posted By: David Snyder Re: A Darker Shade Of Blue - 01/19/16 10:38 PM
Tommy,

Your stuff is becoming pure professional. I never feel like I am listening to a demo. I feel like I am listening to the radio.
© PG Music Forums