PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud Foes Of Happiness - 01/06/16 12:07 PM
Foes Of Happiness

Happy New Year All!

Four years ago BiaB allowed us to leave our decades of traditional bluegrass and settle into our current comfort zone of Americana, blues and bluesy country. But every now and then we like to experiment with something a wee bit on the rock side so here is this year's effort :-)

During 2015 I ran into several folks I had not seen in years. They were overwhelmingly bitter about, well, seemingly everything. Most of their experiences seemed to be wrapped up in some form of negativity and they insisted on keeping the conversation there. I reflected a lot on this and ended up writing this lyric. It's obviously nothing profound but as I turn 70 this week it is an attempt to express my feelings on how to deal with negative folks. Don't engage - just run!

Thanks to Tom for his input on the write, arrangement and solo/rhythm guitar, to floyd for critiquing the mix and to my better half Janice for putting up with me by singing/creating melodies for whatever I throw her way.

As always we are very appreciative of your time to listen and comment.

Bass: RT 387 Electric Metal
Drums: RD Nashville Southern
Drums: RD Snare (grabbed from BiaB respective drum kit file)
Shaker: Apple Loop
Mandolin: RT 1755 Rhythm Pop 8ths
Guitar Rhythm: Tom Adams
Guitar Lead: Tom Adams
Lead Vocal: Janice, Rodes NT mic, Blue Icicle USB
Effects: Ozone 6, Ozone 5 and Nectar 2
Mixing/mastering stuff: Bud

Foes of Happiness
© 2016 B. Merritt/J. Merritt/T. Adams

Verse 1

I’ve never been told taking the high road would be easy
tolls, dead ends, wrecks along the way, nothing's ever free
pulling me back all the time, girl you ain't gotta prayer
well it may look like I'm still here, but I'm getting there

Ref

I've gotta get away, run from the foes of happiness.
I won't fall in their world of hatred and bitterness.

Verse 2

they're all around me, trying to put out my flame
chokin’ me like weeds in their garden of shame
get too close and they sprout up all around my soul
hang around too long, and they pull me down their hole

Ref

Solo

Verse 3

people that are stained by anger that'll never cease
I can't let them in, I won't let them poison my peace
give in and they'll steal everything that I value
stay on the high road, I can feel my spirit renew

Ref

Outro

Our Website
Posted By: ROG Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/06/16 01:42 PM
Hi there J&B, plus Floyd and Tom.

Fabulous. Loved it from the first chord to the last.

Super backing track that really rocks and great guitar work from Tom.

Janice, what can I say that I haven't said before. You have a voice which is immediately recognisable. There are lots of good singers, but only a rare few who are this distinctive. It's SO good to hear you turning your talents to something with a rock feel for a change. The key which you're in does something to the timbre of your voice which brings me out in goosebumps. This really was a treat.

Congrats to you all.

ROG.
Posted By: dani48 Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/06/16 02:32 PM
Hi, Bud ,Janice, Tom and Floyd !

A super track and super doing by all
involved !:))

Just the right music to start
up this new year !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: boehm Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/06/16 03:03 PM
Hi Janice & Bud, Tom and Floyd,

what a great collab again.
I enjoyed everything about it.

Guenter
Posted By: Scott C Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/06/16 05:27 PM
Awesome tune. Loved it Excellent collaboration
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/06/16 07:04 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi there J&B, plus Floyd and Tom.

Fabulous. Loved it from the first chord to the last.

Super backing track that really rocks and great guitar work from Tom.

Janice, what can I say that I haven't said before. You have a voice which is immediately recognisable. There are lots of good singers, but only a rare few who are this distinctive. It's SO good to hear you turning your talents to something with a rock feel for a change. The key which you're in does something to the timbre of your voice which brings me out in goosebumps. This really was a treat.

Congrats to you all.

ROG.

ROG, you have made our week. Given both the always high quality of your productions and your rock foundation we feel our effort is validated! It's always fun (tempered with a little apprehension) to explore new territory but when the "forum man" of that territory is kind enough to make the above remarks it really means a lot. I (Bud) have encouraged Janice to explore the lower end of her range. She spent so many years in bluegrass which demanded singing lead and harmony at the upper end that I don't think she was initially aware that she had a voice in the lower end -- she's nodding in agreement smile Thank you!!

J&B
Posted By: Al-David Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/06/16 07:33 PM
Hey You Four...

Some super talent shining here. Great song and terrific performance by all. Janice's voice is as sweet as a truck load of sugar and Tom's guitar is as edgy as ever. The lyric is refreshing and well done. Of course, Floyd's mixing skills are second to none.

Great job ... we loved it!

Alan & Di
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/06/16 09:21 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Bud ,Janice, Tom and Floyd !

A super track and super doing by all
involved !:))

Just the right music to start
up this new year !:))

Cheers
Dani

Thanks Dani. Have a great year!

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Janice & Bud, Tom and Floyd,

what a great collab again.
I enjoyed everything about it.

Guenter

We are happy that you like it Guenter. Thanks!

J&B
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/06/16 11:55 PM

Great verse!! I also love the refrain-just tells it straight. Very cool song all the way around. Vocals are great and mix excellent. The guitar......it's got me thinking there should be some Tom Adams RTs in 2017!! Great job guys! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/07/16 12:24 AM
Good write, arrangement, mix and production. Stellar start to the new year. Enjoyed my listen.
Posted By: SRP Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/07/16 01:26 AM
Hi guys, another great collaboration. Super job on all aspects from vocals, mix, writing to great overall sound with Tom adding his magic on guitar. Thanks Janice, Bud, Floyd and Tom for working so good together and bringing us a super song.
Sonny
Posted By: PeterF Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/07/16 07:23 AM
Janice, Bud & Tom
Seriously when is the album coming out!
Posted By: Skyline Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/07/16 08:07 AM
Great stuff guys. Super song superbly put together. Wow, I love that vocal delivery!
cool blush
John
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/07/16 11:19 AM
You folks can do it all. You are surely right -- keep negativity at bay the best you can. good message and good tune.

One suggestion, if you want to do rock, study someone like the lead singer from Counting Crows. He really pushes his vocal to the limit during the verses -- and then cranks it up during the chorus (ha, ha). Janice is mighty close, but I think she can even dig deeper. Hmmm, easy for me to say.

Still an excellent performance, though. Good write and arrangement, too.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/07/16 11:49 AM
It's good to see you break out of the confines of your "normal" style that you had cast for yourselves. I like this.

Everything sounds good. One thing that stuck out to me was the snare. It sounds really nice but it's a bit too loud in the mix.

Negative folks are all over the place and it's easy to commiserate with them, but you can't afford to do that if you want to be happy and get things done. I don't like hanging with or having discussions with folks who are always going to the negative side of things. The sun is shining in my world.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/07/16 12:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Awesome tune. Loved it Excellent collaboration

Thank you very much Scott for listening and commenting...

J&B

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hey You Four...

Some super talent shining here. Great song and terrific performance by all. Janice's voice is as sweet as a truck load of sugar and Tom's guitar is as edgy as ever. The lyric is refreshing and well done. Of course, Floyd's mixing skills are second to none.

Great job ... we loved it!

Alan & Di

Thanks y'all....Janice smiled when she read that!

Bud
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/07/16 07:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Great verse!! I also love the refrain-just tells it straight. Very cool song all the way around. Vocals are great and mix excellent. The guitar......it's got me thinking there should be some Tom Adams RTs in 2017!! Great job guys! Take care. Greg

Thank you very much for those kind words Greg. From a writer like you it means even more to have the lyric mentioned. Hey, we agree with Tom and the RT!

J&B
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/08/16 02:11 AM
Hi Janice and Bud.

First off.... and most importantly....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Bud!

I really enjoyed listening to Janice sing this. The change of style took me by surprise.... but it was a good surprise. As always, Tom's contribution is like co-icing on the cake.

I also found myself thinking, "What a great use of connotation!" and "What a great use of metaphor!" on a number of occasions. Phrases such as "foes of happiness", "stained by anger", "sprout up around my soul", "garden of shame", "poison my peace" are so very visual and add a huge emotional punch. The rhyming of Happiness with Bitterness is also a masterstroke -- minor stress rhyme and using words that have opposite meanings.... very effective!

Really excellent work from everyone!

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/08/16 11:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Good write, arrangement, mix and production. Stellar start to the new year. Enjoyed my listen.

Glad you enjoyed the spin Charlie. Thanks.

J&B
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/08/16 12:48 PM
J&B,
Excellent vocals on this. Thx for posting.
SD
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/08/16 02:45 PM
Originally Posted By: SRP
Hi guys, another great collaboration. Super job on all aspects from vocals, mix, writing to great overall sound with Tom adding his magic on guitar. Thanks Janice, Bud, Floyd and Tom for working so good together and bringing us a super song.
Sonny

Thanks Sonny for the listen and the kind remarks. We appreciate it and your support.

J&B
Posted By: RnAM Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/08/16 09:27 PM
Looks like we're a little late to the party......
But just in time to hear this song which has great vocals, a very steady rock groove and very nice lyrics!
Tom's contribution is valuable as always!
Happy birthday Bud, you sure don't look like 70 as far as we can tell.
Music must be keeping you young ;-)

Rob & Anne-Marie
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/09/16 11:00 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Janice, Bud & Tom
Seriously when is the album coming out!

You are too kind! Thanks!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Skyline
Great stuff guys. Super song superbly put together. Wow, I love that vocal delivery!
cool blush
John

We and especially Janice appreciate that John!

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/09/16 03:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Kemmrich
You folks can do it all. You are surely right -- keep negativity at bay the best you can. good message and good tune.

One suggestion, if you want to do rock, study someone like the lead singer from Counting Crows. He really pushes his vocal to the limit during the verses -- and then cranks it up during the chorus (ha, ha). Janice is mighty close, but I think she can even dig deeper. Hmmm, easy for me to say.

Still an excellent performance, though. Good write and arrangement, too.

Thanks, glad you liked it. Well, for one rock outing a year I reckon this will have to do. Too old to study!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/09/16 06:03 PM
I appreciate the mention, but folks should know - I didn't do anything other than lend an ear at some point - I hardly remember doing that... smile

Some outstanding lyrical phrases in this - Noel mentioned several. Well executed throughout.

I like the band. I really don't see this as "outside" of what you do - seems smack in the middle of a wide range of styles that you cover! And I'd call it Americana myself - whadda I know? smile Nice mix (which goes without saying)

I like your singer! Where'd ya find her?

Good music, y'all.

fj

Happy belated birthday!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/10/16 12:06 AM
J and B

Another classic strong delivery from you guys, together with really thought-provoking lyrics. You never fail to deliver something solid, this one is certainly no exception.

Top job - again.
Posted By: olemon Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/10/16 10:14 AM
Catchy, from the title to the outro.

I do think the drums are too hot, maybe just the snare and mainly in the verses. The guitars and the vocals are outstanding, naturally:)

'pulling me back all the time, girl you ain't gotta prayer
well it may look like I'm still here, but I'm getting there'

Cha-ching!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/10/16 08:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
It's good to see you break out of the confines of your "normal" style that you had cast for yourselves. I like this.

Everything sounds good. One thing that stuck out to me was the snare. It sounds really nice but it's a bit too loud in the mix.

Negative folks are all over the place and it's easy to commiserate with them, but you can't afford to do that if you want to be happy and get things done. I don't like hanging with or having discussions with folks who are always going to the negative side of things. The sun is shining in my world.

Thanks Herb. Glad you liked it. Been listening a lot to three or four of our fav Americana artists and that's likely what influenced my mix of the hot snare. I couldn't agree more with your thoughts on negativity. Run run run run

J&B
Posted By: tommyad Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/11/16 10:28 AM
Just a quick thanks to all who commented on my part in this. Bud and Janice are so accommodating and accepting of my input it's almost too easy. Thanks to them both for asking me to participate. Tom
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/12/16 06:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Janice and Bud.

First off.... and most importantly....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Bud!

I really enjoyed listening to Janice sing this. The change of style took me by surprise.... but it was a good surprise. As always, Tom's contribution is like co-icing on the cake.

I also found myself thinking, "What a great use of connotation!" and "What a great use of metaphor!" on a number of occasions. Phrases such as "foes of happiness", "stained by anger", "sprout up around my soul", "garden of shame", "poison my peace" are so very visual and add a huge emotional punch. The rhyming of Happiness with Bitterness is also a masterstroke -- minor stress rhyme and using words that have opposite meanings.... very effective!

Really excellent work from everyone!

Regards
Noel

Thanks Noel. It was fun experimenting a bit but keeping it all in the Americana tent. I sincerely appreciate you mentioning the lyric. I'm not a prolific writer and having you take time to quote from my write is very gratifying. Of course sans Janice's melody and vocal this would never have seen the light of day. Thank you very much!

Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
J&B,
Excellent vocals on this. Thx for posting.
SD

Thank you very much!

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/13/16 04:33 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Looks like we're a little late to the party......
But just in time to hear this song which has great vocals, a very steady rock groove and very nice lyrics!
Tom's contribution is valuable as always!
Happy birthday Bud, you sure don't look like 70 as far as we can tell.
Music must be keeping you young ;-)

Rob & Anne-Marie

Thanks you two -- very glad you liked it. Not looking 70? Thanks as the photo is current....if anything is keeping me younger it's our love of mountain biking, kayaking and hiking -- some of which we do every day. Most of our friends are 25 or more years younger than me and they keep us "in the game" trying to keep up. Thanks again,

J&B

Posted By: 44kfl Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/14/16 01:15 AM
Love the title, love the vocals, wow!, love Tom's guitar work, man!
love the drivin' groove of this thing, love how Bud puts everything together so well. Yeah, it's pretty good.

Kenny
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/14/16 09:45 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
I appreciate the mention, but folks should know - I didn't do anything other than lend an ear at some point - I hardly remember doing that... smile

Some outstanding lyrical phrases in this - Noel mentioned several. Well executed throughout.

I like the band. I really don't see this as "outside" of what you do - seems smack in the middle of a wide range of styles that you cover! And I'd call it Americana myself - whadda I know? smile Nice mix (which goes without saying)

I like your singer! Where'd ya find her?

Good music, y'all.

fj

Happy belated birthday!

Your ears are golden grin

Thanks for the nice comments and for mentioning the lyric. Where did I find the singer? I was recording some tracks the other evening and she walked in -- said she was driving by and saw a light on.....
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/14/16 07:54 PM
Another hit. You guys always hit the bulls eye. Great job!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/15/16 07:55 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
J and B

Another classic strong delivery from you guys, together with really thought-provoking lyrics. You never fail to deliver something solid, this one is certainly no exception.

Top job - again.

Thanks for the very kind words!

J&B
Posted By: gibson Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/16/16 04:01 AM
Janice Bud and Tom,

Janice's voice is always beautiful and this laid-back rock song shows it off well.
and what an outro her voice and the "finger noises" right at the end

enjoyed a lot

Alyn
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/16/16 08:31 PM

Hey another super one!!

If you' ll be on tour in Italy a day, I'll be there...

Your songs always have something engaging.

Sergio
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/17/16 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: olemon
Catchy, from the title to the outro.

I do think the drums are too hot, maybe just the snare and mainly in the verses. The guitars and the vocals are outstanding, naturally:)

'pulling me back all the time, girl you ain't gotta prayer
well it may look like I'm still here, but I'm getting there'

Cha-ching!

We appreciate you listening and commenting. Yep, Tom did his usual fine work on this one. We listen extensively to several Americana artists and like John Mellencamp, for example, they tend to feature a hot snare. So that's my excuse

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Just a quick thanks to all who commented on my part in this. Bud and Janice are so accommodating and accepting of my input it's almost too easy. Thanks to them both for asking me to participate. Tom

Thanks Tom! We would never have finished this project without you joining in.

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/18/16 11:00 AM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Love the title, love the vocals, wow!, love Tom's guitar work, man!
love the drivin' groove of this thing, love how Bud puts everything together so well. Yeah, it's pretty good.

Kenny

All of us very much appreciate you saying that Kenny.

Thanks!!!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/20/16 10:48 AM

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Another hit. You guys always hit the bulls eye. Great job!

Thanks David....not sure about always but we do give it our best shot!

J&B

Originally Posted By: gibson
Janice Bud and Tom,

Janice's voice is always beautiful and this laid-back rock song shows it off well.
and what an outro her voice and the "finger noises" right at the end

enjoyed a lot

Alyn

Thank you Alyn. That means a lot since this style of song isn't something I attempt very often. We appreciate you!

Janice
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/21/16 05:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Hey another super one!!

If you' ll be on tour in Italy a day, I'll be there...

Your songs always have something engaging.

Sergio

Thanks Sergio! We would love to visit your beautiful country. We are cyclists and we enjoy watching the Giro d'italia every year.
Posted By: HiroshiK Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/22/16 08:14 AM
Hi,

You already have got a number of nice comments, so I do not want to repeat them. Just want to say, "it is marvelous!".

Hiroshi
Posted By: rsdean Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/22/16 08:23 AM
Guys, love the feel, movement and message - plus, another great vocal from Janice. smile

Bob
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/23/16 11:37 AM
Originally Posted By: HiroshiK
Hi,

You already have got a number of nice comments, so I do not want to repeat them. Just want to say, "it is marvelous!".

Hiroshi

Glad you liked it!

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Foes Of Happiness - 01/24/16 01:16 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Guys, love the feel, movement and message - plus, another great vocal from Janice. smile

Bob

Thanks Bob! Good to see you around again.

J&B
© PG Music Forums