PG Music Home
Posted By: David Snyder Get Sexy With Me Now - 01/14/16 01:45 PM
"I wear heels because the women like 'em... And the only things [my purple house] is a shrine to is Jesus, Love and Peace."
Prince, Rolling Stone, 1985
Amen Brother. We love you man.

https://soundcloud.com/david-snyder-gigs/get-sexy-with-me-now

****** Song Summary *************
Style is -TEKLC0+.STY (LCDSound - Techno)
Style MIDI Instruments are : 81/2 Lead 1b (sine), GM2 Bank 2, 5/3 60's Electric Piano, GM2 Bank 3, Shamisen (107), Pad-Sweep (96),
RealDrums in style: TechnoLCD^AB-a:KckSnrFq, b:AltKckSnr

This is my Prince style. smile Ran it through about 10 synths and played guitars. Used real tracks horns.

Hope it makes you laugh.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Get Sexy With Me Now - 01/14/16 05:02 PM
David,

Your songs get more fun to listen to all the time...

I am not familiar with much Prince, so a lot of the references were lost on me - but I could tell they all came from somewhere Prince-ly...

A lot of cool stuff going on - seems like you put a lot of work into this. I like the horns! And the guitars... There was an overall "heavy mid-range density" to it - thought there should have been a little more "crisp" to some of the parts (it was sort of "crowded" in the middle there). But...

I enjoyed it. Fun vocals.

I am enjoying your journey.

floyd
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Get Sexy With Me Now - 01/14/16 05:13 PM
Thanks Floyd,

Yeah there is a lot of bass in this techno pop composition, so things aren't really "pre-mastered" like you get with real tracks, it's a whole different game. I agree with you but I need to experiment more to master the mixing process in this genre. It is really tricky. Minor adjustments to bass, mid range and treble in any instrument can throw the whole mix completely off kilter in a second, so I don't expect it will happen over night. I will tinker with some things and see how it goes. But you are right. Thanks for the feedback man.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Get Sexy With Me Now - 01/14/16 05:26 PM
Well I was going to tell you to go and listen to some Prince on Youtube but he has apparently slammed them with copyright infringement and therefore none of his songs have audio that I could find.

I thought the song was cool, but very heavy with verb, and the band sounded like Average White Band on the rhythm guitar.... very disco-ish.... maybe that's what you were aiming for. Yeah there is also a heavy mid presence as Floyd mantioned. Back off the mids and clean up the verb. The reverb trails just kinda melded into a background hash is places. Annoying and distracting.

You have a really cool song hiding in the sonic madness. Pull it out and let it shine.

Who's on the vox?
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Get Sexy With Me Now - 01/14/16 06:21 PM
Cool song!! Like Floyd says "Fun to listen to". Definitely a party song. Horns are really cool. I kind of liked the "lo-fi" vibe-it really works with this kind of song. Vocals work great. A lot of fun!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Scott C Re: Get Sexy With Me Now - 01/14/16 06:27 PM
Very cool David. Boy is this different from your last couple of tunes. Way to mix it up
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Get Sexy With Me Now - 01/14/16 07:27 PM
Thanks Herb. There are 8 vocals tracks and 7 are me. 1 is a sampler.

Yes, AWB is what I was after.

Yes, the mix is a little crazy right now and I am still working on it, much more experimentation to do. I need to put it aside for a week and then listen to it fresh. Sonic madness is what I was after to a certain extent. I need to walk away to see how much of that I want to keep.

The part about being crazy and fun was stage one, and I think I did that. I will give it a rest and go back tot he mix with fresh ears next week and I let it simmer. Thanks for the feedback.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Get Sexy With Me Now - 01/14/16 07:29 PM
Thanks Greg! To your point, I was going for lo-fi. In a way that was the point. Just trying to make people laugh. It is a dreary world out there this time of year. Well maybe not in Florida or Cancun, but NC is a little dank right now.
smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Get Sexy With Me Now - 01/14/16 07:31 PM
Thanks Scott. Just trying to keep from falling into a rut.

Going completely nutso on occasion helps me stay sane.

smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Get Sexy With Me Now - 01/19/16 03:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Cool song!! Like Floyd says "Fun to listen to". Definitely a party song. Horns are really cool. I kind of liked the "lo-fi" vibe-it really works with this kind of song. Vocals work great. A lot of fun!! Take care. Greg

That pretty much nails it for us. We never listened to Prince either but I
like to think that I know when I hear a well produced song for which
a lot of creativity and effort was extended in it's making.

Kudos!!

J&B
Posted By: tommyad Re: Get Sexy With Me Now - 01/19/16 07:08 PM
David, What a fun listen. Very cool sound, maybe a bit crowded but very cool. Great job on the write and the vocal. I really liked it. Tom
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Get Sexy With Me Now - 01/19/16 10:19 PM
Thanks y'all. I really appreciate it. You guys been burning up the airways with your new hits I see! smile I have been listening and like all of them. The two of you have a great sound. smile

I think until I radically change my mind I might stay with the lo fi vibe on this. I was after crazy and I think crazy is what I got. I may revisit it in a week, but sometimes crazy is good.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Get Sexy With Me Now - 01/19/16 10:19 PM
Thanks Tommy! I have been digging your new stuff too!

As I said to others, I think until I radically change my mind I might stay with the lo fi vibe on this for a while. I was after crazy and I think crazy is what I got. I may revisit it in a week, but sometimes crazy is good.
Posted By: SRP Re: Get Sexy With Me Now - 01/20/16 01:54 AM
I have never heard a song from Prince so I am disqualified to make an assessment based on him. What you did is quite different for me but it seemed very difficult to do. I enjoyed the listen.
Sonny
© PG Music Forums