PG Music Home
Posted By: lingyai Poolside Jazz - 01/27/16 07:03 PM
Hi all.

This is coming along. How could it be improved?

https://soundcloud.com/worksinprogress-2/poolside-jazz-draft

All civil comments welcome. I'm especially interested to know what you listened to this on.

The underlying WAV file is downloadable from Soundcloud; not only will it sound better but you'll avoid the jarring effect of Soundcloud playing a completely random track from someone else right after my track ends.
Posted By: lingyai Re: Poolside Jazz - 01/28/16 06:57 AM
Anyone? It won't bite, I promise
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Poolside Jazz - 01/28/16 07:55 AM
I don't mind it at all.

I has a good groove, and a great esoteric vibe

I like the underlying bass/drums.

I wasn't big on the sax and trumpet solo, I felt that the instruments didn't really complement each other.

That bass lines are definitely good though.

The accompanying picture says it all
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Poolside Jazz - 01/28/16 03:40 PM
Hi, Ken. Welcome to the Showcase!

An interesting listen. Has a real "experimental jazz" feel.

I listened on headphones. There is something in there - can't tell is it is a synth-bass or synth-drum that has a bit of distortion sound to it - likely a part of the sound as designed - that I felt did not fit the feel of the rest of it (but that's a personal preference).

Well mixed. A nice funk-feel.

And it remained interesting throughout.

floyd
Posted By: lingyai Re: Poolside Jazz - 01/28/16 10:19 PM
Thanks guys for listening and posting.

Floyd, are you referring to the drum distortion you hear starting from right at the outset? Others have commented on that too. I think I overdid it trying to use "lo-fi" degradation techniques ;-)

I'm going to revamp this soon. I've been auditioning some RealDrums which kind of take it to a new place. I think bit of latin percussion here and there might not go amiss either. Finally though, it just so happens that a childhood friend of mine is an avant-garde flute player, and she is going to lay down some tracks, so we'll see if anything gels from that.

Anyway, thanks again!
Posted By: SRP Re: Poolside Jazz - 01/29/16 01:50 AM
Hi Ken, I enjoyed what you did and I can't add anything that has not been said but I would like to know what instruments you used in BIAB. You have a good imagination for creating. I look forward to what you come up with next.
Sonny
Posted By: boehm Re: Poolside Jazz - 01/29/16 01:24 PM
Hi Ken,

welcome to the Showcase!
Nice funky piece.
I enjoyed listening.

Guenter
Posted By: lingyai Re: Poolside Jazz - 01/30/16 11:29 AM
Guenther, Sonny, thanks both for listening and for posting.

Sonny, truth be told, none of this has any BIAB involvement -- yet. It's a mix of real guitar, virtual bass, virtual brass, and brass/ drum Acid loops. I did this a while back, in Acid, years before I'd ever used BIAB.

The reason I'd posted here is just that there are a lot of music lovers on this forum whose taste and judgement I respect, regardless of the tools we use.

Having said that, now that I've dusted it off, I have been auditioning some RealDrum tracks which sound really great, so will likely use some to replace / supplement the existing drums.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Poolside Jazz - 01/30/16 11:47 AM
Hey There,

I LOVE the picture, can I get a copy?? smile

The bed is super cool, and reflects an attitude. The only thing I thought when I listened was that it needed a main instrument, like a guitar or a sax that would pick up an identifiable melodic riff, and come in and out with that riff, building on variations of that riff. That is about all I would add. I am not trying to be silly, but the image I had in my mind while listening was "Hey, did the lead player wander off to the bathroom and forget to come back?"

The band itself and the groove is great. But it needs a hook riff, I think, in addition to the groove.
Posted By: lingyai Re: Poolside Jazz - 01/30/16 12:37 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Hey There,

I LOVE the picture, can I get a copy?? smile

The bed is super cool, and reflects an attitude. The only thing I thought when I listened was that it needed a main instrument, like a guitar or a sax that would pick up an identifiable melodic riff, and come in and out with that riff, building on variations of that riff. That is about all I would add. I am not trying to be silly, but the image I had in my mind while listening was "Hey, did the lead player wander off to the bathroom and forget to come back?"

The band itself and the groove is great. But it needs a hook riff, I think, in addition to the groove.

No you can't have the picture, I stole it fair and square! ;-) Seriously, I just googled "poolside jazz" and there it was. That's Mitzy Gaynor and some lucky chumps.

I think you're basically right, it's like a lovely bed with no girl in it (am I allowed to say that? ). Right now it works as background music. However, this is is not the final version. A friend of mine who plays a killer flute has recorded some takes to it which I'm in the process of editing down and weaving in. As I listen now I think it will help fill the gap you notice. I did want to get folk's opinion first though as to whether the "bed" is sturdy, so to speak.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and feedback. And greetings from an ex-Tarheel, by the way!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Poolside Jazz - 01/30/16 04:23 PM
Very nice tune. Excellent listen. Well done
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Poolside Jazz - 01/30/16 09:15 PM
There is something in there - can't tell is it is a synth-bass or synth-drum that has a bit of distortion sound to it - likely a part of the sound as designed - that I felt did not fit the feel of the rest of it (but that's a personal preference).

Well mixed. A nice funk-feel.

And it remained interesting throughout.

floyd

Welcome to the showcase!! Agree with Floyd on everything. I listened on small computer monitors. It is cool music!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Poolside Jazz - 02/02/16 10:53 AM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Ken,

welcome to the Showcase!
Nice funky piece.
I enjoyed listening.

Guenter

Plus two!

J&B
© PG Music Forums