PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/05/16 11:03 AM
A Johnson & jane joint effort. A Greg/floyd collaboration.

Greg sent me some stuff. Based on advice he received from an old friend.
I added some stuff to it. Then threw some more stuff at it.
Then piled some BIAB tracks on top of it.
I asked Greg to sing it, but he felt it was more my thing (meaning "country")...

There you have it. Recipe for a co-write.

IT'S ALL IN THE HEART

she was the cutest thing i'd ever seen
my very first crush, jenny bernstein
she caught me staring, i hung my head
a nervous wreck, 10 shades of red
dad saw it all, gave me a wink and a nudge
then he sat me down when i refused to budge

if you're gonna catch the big ones, boy
   you gotta think like a fish
   while you gotta keep your hope alive
   don't bet the farm on a wish
   beauty's in the eye of the beholder
   with women and with art
   but when it comes down to love, son
   it's all in the heart

i've had my share of mistakes and close calls
not sure it was love but there were plenty of falls
but now I know I found the one
i've been dreaming of all along
scared to make a move, i'll mess up everything
there was dad, to sit me down again

if you're gonna catch the big ones, boy
   with women and with art
   it's all in the heart

it's in the way you feel deep down
can barely breathe, you're gonna drown
an endless fall it seems
every moment like a dream
indescribable
it never lets go
you're all in
heart and soul

if you're gonna the big ones, boy
   with women and with art
   it's all in the heart

©2016 Greg Johnson and floyd jane

The boys in the BAND!:

RealTracks in song: 1190:Bass, Electric, ModernRnBRock Ev 065
RealTracks in song: ~1676:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryBrent Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1946:Mandolin, Rhythm ModernCountrySync Ev16 100
RealTracks in song: 910:Piano, Electric, Rhythm SmoothBallad Ev16 065
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2060:Strings, Rhythm PopCountry Ev 120
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2058:Strings, Rhythm CelticAir Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1835:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopModernGrooveGritty Ev16 075
RealDrums in style: NashvillePop16^4-a:SideStick, HiHat , b:Snare, Hihat

We hope you enjoy it.
Give your dad a hug.

Have at it.

floyd and Greg.

Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/05/16 11:17 AM
Whew... now this is a good one. Great collaboration. Great performance and arrangement.

Lyrically, this is an excellent candidate for a contemporary, modern country song and to my ear, without too much tweaking.

Not suggesting any changes or that any are needed. Just saying that to me, by several lines in, I saw potential for a good (aka Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton, etc) song. It's all part of my analytical process when I listen to a song. No matter what manner I dissect this song, it will work. So, I know it has that certain quality that stands the test of time. Good job to both of you.
Posted By: toucher Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/05/16 11:38 AM
Well written and executed. To my ear what sounds like an electric piano is a little over the top in the mix, but I'm nitpicking.

Good vox, theme, could be performed by several artists in the new flavor of country.

Good job

rob
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/05/16 12:42 PM
Nice one.

Loved the lyrics and that hook in the chorus just plain works.
Posted By: boehm Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/05/16 12:55 PM
Hi Floyd and Greg,

beautiful song. Beautiful delivery.
Beautiful collab.
I'm still enjoying my listens.

Guenter
Posted By: tommyad Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/05/16 01:55 PM
floyd & Greg, With you two teaming up, I knew what to expect. You exceeded my high level of expectation. Killer chorus.
" beauty's in the eye of the beholder
with women and with art
it's all in the heart"
I don't know if those lines came early in the process, but if they did I would bet the story fell right into place. A nice little story of Dad's lesson of love taught to his son. Great lyrics all the way through and a melody that supports the feel. Good arrangement and very well sung. Mix is spot on. It doesn't get much better than this. Tom
Posted By: David Snyder Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/05/16 03:09 PM
Very very cool song! Both the lyrics and the music are great, such a breath of fresh air from a lot of the pablum and nonsense on the radio today. Great writing. And as usual, the production and overall sound quality is top notch.

Kudos!!!

Hey Floyd,
great song and collaboration.

Just a good song could be born of a collaboration between you.

Really pleasant.

Sergio
Posted By: floyd jane Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/05/16 05:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Whew... now this is a good one. Great collaboration. Great performance and arrangement.

Lyrically, this is an excellent candidate for a contemporary, modern country song and to my ear, without too much tweaking.

Not suggesting any changes or that any are needed. Just saying that to me, by several lines in, I saw potential for a good (aka Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton, etc) song. It's all part of my analytical process when I listen to a song. No matter what manner I dissect this song, it will work. So, I know it has that certain quality that stands the test of time. Good job to both of you.

We thank you for the listen, Charlie. You appear to be defining a "good song" as what Luke Byran or Blake Shelton do (how it reads anyway). I have to admit I don't much care for what either of them has been doing for quite some time - so I would not want to make this sound like them. Listen to some Billy Currington - I find that much more to my tastes and I could hear Billy doing a song similar to this. That "Luke Bryan sound" wears out quickly for me, so it is not something that I strive for...though I get that a lot of people like... Thanks for stopping by - always like to hear your thoughts...
Posted By: PeterF Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/05/16 06:48 PM
Floyd and Greg
Really good song - catchy chorus - great vocal (trademark) and top set of lyrics.
Hard to go wrong!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/05/16 07:51 PM
"You appear to be defining a "good song" as what Luke Bryan or Blake Shelton do "

Well, yes and no. Regarding Bryan and Shelton, I define the songs they release as singles to be "good songs" relative to the influence they tend to have on the current country genre and where their songs usually peak on the charts as opposed to my perception of the quality of how it's written. Even someone who does not particularly care for the genre would likely acknowledge Shelton's #1 single "Home" to be a good song as on the strength of the song itself also was a #1 single for the writer Michael Buble in a completely different arrangement in a completely different genre of music. I was not addressing your or my taste for the songs of that particular genre but the quality of "It's All In The Heart", its theme, lyrics, message and such.

My defining "It's All In The Heart" as a "good song" was to mean the same as I consider "Home" to be a "good song." My intention was to say "It's All In The Heart" has the strength to be a hit across several genres of music. <grin> you and Greg will have to decide what to do if Luke Bryan calls to ask to record it....

I have nothing but good feelings and good things to say about "It's All In The Heart", the write, production, arrangement and performance. What I lacked in clarity initially is an understatement to the enjoyment of my several listens.

Posted By: AudioTrack Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/05/16 08:07 PM
Floyd & Greg

Another masterpiece! No question.

I always enjoy Greg's vocals, but he was right on the money here with choice of singer. You nailed it Floyd, your vocal is absolutely perfect.

This is a winner. Fantastic lyrics. Deserves airplay. Perfection.
Posted By: critter Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/06/16 02:04 AM
Another gem from FJ, great as usual...............
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/06/16 03:46 AM
Absolutely loved the arrangement on this one Floyd and Greg. You both just keep on delivering. It is awesome!
Posted By: ROG Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/06/16 04:42 PM
Hi Guys.

Well, it's obviously a cracking song. (Does "cracking" translate, or is it a bit Yorkshire?)

A brilliant piece of writing, both music and lyrics and the vocals are just heartfelt and perfect.

But what about that mix! This has to be one of the best mixes I've heard in a while and I'm guessing that it's your work, Floyd, basically because of the drums. Like you, I often want the drums louder in some of the mixes we hear, but the drum sound on this track is wicked. I had to put it up on the big Tannoys and I watched as the kick drum bounced the cones around!

But it's not just the drums. This is a BIG sound and the stereo wash is beautiful and very in keeping with the style of the song.

Did I say I liked it?

ROG.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/06/16 08:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
"You appear to be defining a "good song" as what Luke Bryan or Blake Shelton do "

Well, yes and no. Regarding Bryan and Shelton, I define the songs they release as singles to be "good songs" relative to the influence they tend to have on the current country genre and where their songs usually peak on the charts as opposed to my perception of the quality of how it's written. Even someone who does not particularly care for the genre would likely acknowledge Shelton's #1 single "Home" to be a good song as on the strength of the song itself also was a #1 single for the writer Michael Buble in a completely different arrangement in a completely different genre of music. I was not addressing your or my taste for the songs of that particular genre but the quality of "It's All In The Heart", its theme, lyrics, message and such.

My defining "It's All In The Heart" as a "good song" was to mean the same as I consider "Home" to be a "good song." My intention was to say "It's All In The Heart" has the strength to be a hit across several genres of music. <grin> you and Greg will have to decide what to do if Luke Bryan calls to ask to record it....

I have nothing but good feelings and good things to say about "It's All In The Heart", the write, production, arrangement and performance. What I lacked in clarity initially is an understatement to the enjoyment of my several listens.

Charlie - thanks for the follow up and the clarification. I hadn't heard "Home" - is it, indeed, a fine song - it was released in 2008 - Blake used to do really good stuff...

Do you know "Austin"? one of his earlier ones - I love this song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb1DTsxBOfE

We've gone around several times about "modern country" in other threads, so I don't want to get into that here. I've just grown weary of those who are constantly saying "well.. that sounds 'dated'" simply because it doesn't sound like bro-country. There is a lot more to "modern music" (and modern country, for that matter) than that particular sound... Pretty much anything that falls in the Americana category these days would likely be labeled "dated" by someone who only turns on Country radio for 5 minutes and then leaves because it isn't for them. There is a lot of good music out there...
Again - thanks for the thoughts...
Posted By: Scott C Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/06/16 10:42 PM
Awesome tune Floyd and Greg. Excellent vocal and lyric.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/07/16 12:00 PM
Originally Posted By: toucher
Well written and executed. To my ear what sounds like an electric piano is a little over the top in the mix, but I'm nitpicking.

Good vox, theme, could be performed by several artists in the new flavor of country.

Good job

rob

Thanks for dropping by, Rob. The e. piano is the foundation of the mix - and intended to "be heard". Listening on phones, monitors and small speakers (so a variety), it sits pretty much right where I want it - never "taking over". I appreciate the opinion, though...

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Nice one.

Loved the lyrics and that hook in the chorus just plain works.

Thanks, Herb.
Posted By: RnAM Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/07/16 12:10 PM
Hi Floyd and Greg,

This is a beautiful collab with beautiful lyrics too!
We get why Greg preferred to have it sung by you (country timbre in the voice) just like we did with Little young Pretty smile

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/07/16 03:15 PM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Floyd and Greg,

beautiful song. Beautiful delivery.
Beautiful collab.
I'm still enjoying my listens.

Guenter

We appreciate that Guenter.
Posted By: SRP Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/07/16 04:40 PM
Floyd this is good stuff!! I wish that I could take a bunch of stuff and toss it in a pile of stuff and come up with something like this. You definitely have the magic touch! You & Greg sure have a winner here! All the stuff you did is perfect.
Sonny
Posted By: rsdean Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/07/16 08:41 PM
Guys, this is a very cool song - loved the write, arrangement and delivery.

Bob
Posted By: Caloo Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/07/16 08:49 PM
Wonderful and what a voice !!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/08/16 10:28 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
floyd & Greg, With you two teaming up, I knew what to expect. You exceeded my high level of expectation. Killer chorus.
" beauty's in the eye of the beholder
with women and with art
it's all in the heart"
I don't know if those lines came early in the process, but if they did I would bet the story fell right into place. A nice little story of Dad's lesson of love taught to his son. Great lyrics all the way through and a melody that supports the feel. Good arrangement and very well sung. Mix is spot on. It doesn't get much better than this. Tom

Nice to hear this from the guy who just keeps "killing it" with each new post. As you know, Greg is a terrific "partner" - excellent songwriter, but more importantly, a great guy, wonderful person, easy to work with. This was a terrific example of what a co-write ought to achieve - a true mix of "what we do" a bit of GJ and a bit of FJ all mixed together to produce something that might not have happened otherwise...

We thank you.
Posted By: Even If Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/08/16 06:45 PM
I like the snare sound . . . what did you do to get it?
It cuts through without "over" cutting through . . .

good tone on the lead - fits in with the music
Posted By: Sundance Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/08/16 06:49 PM
Great collab Greg and FJ! Sounds super. I especially liked the bridge. I'm also going to edit this to add - that vocal is outstanding FJ and really sells the song.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/09/16 12:39 AM
Very nice, super chorus, love the instrument choices, great delivery on the vocal floyd. A strong co-write.

Kenny
Posted By: dani48 Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/09/16 07:28 AM
Hi, Floyd and Greg !:))

What a lovely tune,
so wonderfully executed !
Must be my new country fav
henceforth !

Congrats on the superb
co-op !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/09/16 05:41 PM
"she was the cutest thing i'd ever seen
then he sat me down when i refused to budge"

Those first two rhymes told me this was gonna
be a BIG treat. "seen" "bernstein" How cool is
that? And then it continued with a host of great
lines and a super melody.

I agree with ROG that the drums are "wicked." Huge
sound.

And as Tom said "A nice little story of Dad's lesson of love
taught to his son. Great lyrics all the way through and a melody
that supports the feel. Good arrangement and very well sung.
Mix is spot on. It doesn't get much better than this."

Yep.

This has about every element one would dream up to define
a great song. The write and vocal are way up the chart. Way
up. But the fj signature big studio sound just knocks the whole
production out of the park. Janice and I have got to tour
that palatial studio some day.

Great collab guys!! A showcase within the user showcase of
what came come out of this community.

J&B

Posted By: floyd jane Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/09/16 07:20 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Very very cool song! Both the lyrics and the music are great, such a breath of fresh air from a lot of the pablum and nonsense on the radio today. Great writing. And as usual, the production and overall sound quality is top notch.

Kudos!!!

Thanks, David. We appreciate that... guess I'm gonna have to drag Greg down that Country path a few more times...

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Hey Floyd,
great song and collaboration.

Just a good song could be born of a collaboration between you.

Really pleasant.

Sergio

Appreciate that, Sergio..

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Floyd and Greg
Really good song - catchy chorus - great vocal (trademark) and top set of lyrics.
Hard to go wrong!

Thanks, Peter. The catchy chorus is a lot of Greg-ness happening...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/10/16 10:10 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Floyd & Greg

Another masterpiece! No question.

I always enjoy Greg's vocals, but he was right on the money here with choice of singer. You nailed it Floyd, your vocal is absolutely perfect.

This is a winner. Fantastic lyrics. Deserves airplay. Perfection.

Trev - thanks for stopping in for a listen - and for that very nice review.. really appreciate that..

Originally Posted By: critter
Another gem from FJ, great as usual...............

Steve - always nice to see ya around... (I had help on this one..)
Posted By: Steve Young Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/10/16 11:59 AM
Floyd,

You know I am a big fan. I'm not able to get to the forum nearly as much as I want to lately. I am always glad to see something from you posted here. (And there is always something here - you have a great volume of work!) I am always impressed by your quality of work, your creativity, the honesty that comes through in your voice. You have the ability to do a lot, without overdoing it. That is a real talent and gift.

Oh, and good job, Greg! Really enjoyed it!

Steve
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/10/16 01:18 PM
Ok, entering the thread at this point, much of what I would say has been said.

I do want to say my personal opinion on one section (though I think they are all great)...that bridge is to die for! Man! The lyrics, the flow and the arrangement...in my opinion per-fec-tion!
Posted By: Al-David Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/10/16 06:33 PM
Floyd and Greg ...

Quite the collab! Contemporary country with a touch of hardcore country Your mixing skills are unparalleled. The lyric, the vocal ... the entire process is top shelf all the way. You and Greg did a great job on this ... sweet!

Alan & Di
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/11/16 12:40 AM
I just wanted to say thanks for all the nice comments. It was such a pleasure to work with Floyd. We are lucky to have such a talent on this forum. He knows so much about everything-writing, arranging, mixing. I sent Floyd a one minute MP3 with some rough ideas and part of a melody with only humming, and he sent back a beautifully done complete and amazingly cool song. I feel kinda guilty. I have to say that Floyd has done more for my confidence, knowledge, and musical inspiration than anyone in my life. He is the guardian angel of my musical self which is a huge part of who I am. Thanks so much my friend for the wonderful experience of working with you!

Take care all. Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/11/16 03:47 PM
Originally Posted By: JosieC
Absolutely loved the arrangement on this one Floyd and Greg. You both just keep on delivering. It is awesome!

Thanks, Joanne.

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Guys.

Well, it's obviously a cracking song. (Does "cracking" translate, or is it a bit Yorkshire?)

A brilliant piece of writing, both music and lyrics and the vocals are just heartfelt and perfect.

But what about that mix! This has to be one of the best mixes I've heard in a while and I'm guessing that it's your work, Floyd, basically because of the drums. Like you, I often want the drums louder in some of the mixes we hear, but the drum sound on this track is wicked. I had to put it up on the big Tannoys and I watched as the kick drum bounced the cones around!

But it's not just the drums. This is a BIG sound and the stereo wash is beautiful and very in keeping with the style of the song.

Did I say I liked it?

ROG.

ROG - A big thank you for all of that... the write is a good example of "the right mix from both writers", I think - it all melded nicely. And thanks a lot for the mix comments - big smile on that one...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/12/16 07:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Awesome tune Floyd and Greg. Excellent vocal and lyric.

We thank you, Scott...

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Floyd and Greg,

This is a beautiful collab with beautiful lyrics too!
We get why Greg preferred to have it sung by you (country timbre in the voice) just like we did with Little young Pretty smile

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks, y'all... smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/13/16 11:48 AM
Originally Posted By: SRP
Floyd this is good stuff!! I wish that I could take a bunch of stuff and toss it in a pile of stuff and come up with something like this. You definitely have the magic touch! You & Greg sure have a winner here! All the stuff you did is perfect.
Sonny

Sonny - thanks for all that stuff.. I had some good stuff to start with.. makes throwing new stuff in easier...

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Guys, this is a very cool song - loved the write, arrangement and delivery.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. We appreciate that...

Originally Posted By: Caloo
Wonderful and what a voice !!

Thanks, Pascal...
Posted By: fgrittner Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/13/16 07:24 PM
This is one great production. The mix is perfect.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/14/16 07:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Even If
I like the snare sound . . . what did you do to get it?
It cuts through without "over" cutting through . . .

good tone on the lead - fits in with the music

Thanks. It's mostly that this RealDrum has a great snare sound. I hit it with a preset in Studio One (same one I always use).

Originally Posted By: Sundance
Great collab Greg and FJ! Sounds super. I especially liked the bridge. I'm also going to edit this to add - that vocal is outstanding FJ and really sells the song.

Thanks, Josie. This was a good melding of Greg and I. Always appreciate a "sells it" comment...
Posted By: HiroshiK Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/14/16 11:30 PM
Nice song! Great collaboration! As the song starts, I was instantly fascinated by beautiful guitar sound at the beginning, and immediately after that, I was fascinated by your voice. That mood continued throughout the song. I enjoyed it a lot.

Hiroshi
Posted By: floyd jane Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/15/16 08:19 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Very nice, super chorus, love the instrument choices, great delivery on the vocal floyd. A strong co-write.

Kenny

Well, thanks, Kenny... that covers it nicely. We appreciate that...

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd and Greg !:))

What a lovely tune,
so wonderfully executed !
Must be my new country fav
henceforth !

Congrats on the superb
co-op !:))

Cheers
Dani

smile Thanks, Dani...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/16/16 03:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"she was the cutest thing i'd ever seen
then he sat me down when i refused to budge"

Those first two rhymes told me this was gonna
be a BIG treat. "seen" "bernstein" How cool is
that? And then it continued with a host of great
lines and a super melody.

I agree with ROG that the drums are "wicked." Huge
sound.

And as Tom said "A nice little story of Dad's lesson of love
taught to his son. Great lyrics all the way through and a melody
that supports the feel. Good arrangement and very well sung.
Mix is spot on. It doesn't get much better than this."

Yep.

This has about every element one would dream up to define
a great song. The write and vocal are way up the chart. Way
up. But the fj signature big studio sound just knocks the whole
production out of the park. Janice and I have got to tour
that palatial studio some day.

Great collab guys!! A showcase within the user showcase of
what came come out of this community.

J&B

Thanks, Bud (and Janice)... appreciate the appreciation for "bernstein" smile ...and what a very nice review!... we are tickled pink smile smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/17/16 01:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Floyd,

You know I am a big fan. I'm not able to get to the forum nearly as much as I want to lately. I am always glad to see something from you posted here. (And there is always something here - you have a great volume of work!) I am always impressed by your quality of work, your creativity, the honesty that comes through in your voice. You have the ability to do a lot, without overdoing it. That is a real talent and gift.

Oh, and good job, Greg! Really enjoyed it!

Steve

Thanks, Steve. That kind of stuff is always nice to hear... and always good to see you come around....

Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Ok, entering the thread at this point, much of what I would say has been said.

I do want to say my personal opinion on one section (though I think they are all great)...that bridge is to die for! Man! The lyrics, the flow and the arrangement...in my opinion per-fec-tion!

Music to our ears! smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/18/16 03:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Floyd and Greg ...

Quite the collab! Contemporary country with a touch of hardcore country Your mixing skills are unparalleled. The lyric, the vocal ... the entire process is top shelf all the way. You and Greg did a great job on this ... sweet!

Alan & Di

Alan & Di - Thanks, y'all - we appreciate that...

Originally Posted By: fgrittner
This is one great production. The mix is perfect.

Thanks, Fred...
Posted By: rodipoet Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/18/16 05:01 PM
Nice song! Fine lyrics, vocals, arrangement and very well mixed

greetings from the Netherlands
Rob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/19/16 12:50 PM
Originally Posted By: HiroshiK
Nice song! Great collaboration! As the song starts, I was instantly fascinated by beautiful guitar sound at the beginning, and immediately after that, I was fascinated by your voice. That mood continued throughout the song. I enjoyed it a lot.

Hiroshi

Hiroshi - Thank you. We certainly appreciate that....

Originally Posted By: rodipoet
Nice song! Fine lyrics, vocals, arrangement and very well mixed

greetings from the Netherlands
Rob

Glad you stopped by, Rod...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/19/16 12:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
I just wanted to say thanks for all the nice comments. It was such a pleasure to work with Floyd. We are lucky to have such a talent on this forum. He knows so much about everything-writing, arranging, mixing. I sent Floyd a one minute MP3 with some rough ideas and part of a melody with only humming, and he sent back a beautifully done complete and amazingly cool song. I feel kinda guilty. I have to say that Floyd has done more for my confidence, knowledge, and musical inspiration than anyone in my life. He is the guardian angel of my musical self which is a huge part of who I am. Thanks so much my friend for the wonderful experience of working with you!

Take care all. Greg

Greg - Right back atcha, buddy! Your talent is only exceeded by your ever-present kindness and ecouragements... Looking forward to doing this again!!!!

Thanks, everyone, for all the nice comments... and for being a part of a truly wonderful community....
Posted By: Noel96 Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 02/26/16 10:45 AM
floyd and Greg,

I think I'm losing my mind! I was so sure that I'd responded to this post! Tonight, when I popped back for another listen, I discovered that I'm not in there.

This is a great song.... but then aren't all the songs that you both post! Is this greater than the rest? I don't know. What I do know, though, it that this is really friendly on the ears.

The hook is very inventive. I also love the lines "beauty's in the eye of the beholder with women an art". As I see it, this is really clever lyric writing. Adding the 'with' prepositional phrase takes what is essentially a cliche and parks it in new territory. As a result, there is nothing cliche sounding about the lines at all. I've made a note of this strategy smile I know I'll find a use for this somewhere along the way!

Also, the bridge does its job really well. The go/soul nearly-rhyme appealed to me. It left the lyrics of the bridge unresolved and then, when the musical interlude took over, the net result was that I was left pondering with all the imagery that you created playing in my head like a movie. The effect you have achieved with this pairing of words coupled with the musical break is, with all sincerity, outstanding.

All in all.... very, very enjoyable!
Noel

P.S. The overall sound is just "Wow!"... from top to bottom this is quality music!
Posted By: waynocook Re: It's All In The Heart (Greg/floyd) - 11/08/18 11:55 AM
Great arrangement and vocals!
© PG Music Forums