PG Music Home
Posted By: tommyad A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/05/16 02:41 PM
I was struggling with the vocal on this one and Janice graciously stepped in to rescue me. Thanks to both Bud and Janice for hanging in there on this one. Sixteen mixes later this was the result. The little signature lick flute like sound is the Tele and a volume pedal. Thanks to all who listen and comment. Tom

http://tommyadamsmusic.com/music

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13312308

Style is _PMODGR+.STY

RealTracks in song: 1766:Mandolin, Rhythm Pop16Sync Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 1828:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm PopModernGroove Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 1829:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopModernGrooveBrightArp Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 1758:Banjo, Rhythm, Pop16ths Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 693:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming AcRockBright Ev 120 (B:eighths)
RealTracks in song: 1601:Mandolin, Rhythm Pop16Melodic Ev 065
Royalty Free Loops, Multitrack Instrument and Song Files and Multitrack Drums from Drums on Demand and Bass on Demand

Lead Vocal, Janice Merritt
Harmony Vocal, Electric and Acoustic Guitar: Tom Adams

Recorded in Logic Pro x
Alloy2, Nectar2
Mastered with Ozone6

A Cold Rain

Excuse my bad manners I don't mean to interrupt
But I overheard you saying that you'd just broken up
you can get over this it just takes a little time
I don't want your heart to feel anything like mine

I sit here watching a cold rain running off the cars

and wonder who he's keeping warm this time

it’s been so cloudy I can’t find my lucky star

No I won’t get my wish tonight

If you feel like crying I completely understand
It's hard to give up everything all you ever had
Well You can accept the fact it was meant to be
Or keep on looking at the stars And end up just like me

I sit here watching a cold rain running off the cars

and wonder who he's keeping warm this time

it’s been so cloudy I can’t find my lucky star

No I won’t get my wish tonight

No

©2015 Thomas Adams
Beautiful. Outstanding song and production. Great vocals Janice.
really nice work.

There's been a few really good songs here recently and this is one of them.

Tasty licks on the guitar.

Hey boys,
this is a superb song, the best I've heard since I'm on the forum!

Great sound and melodic and great vocals.
Excellent reals tracks

Very great job

Sergio
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/05/16 06:31 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Thanks David. And yes Janice did a superb job on the vocal. Tom
Posted By: PeterF Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/05/16 06:40 PM
Tom & Janice
Stunning!
Everything about that was top notch.
Tommy & Janice

What a great production.

Superb vocals from the entire team here. A really beautiful song, sensational lyrics.

Great listen for sure.

Very enjoyable. Any more?

Plus 1. This is one of your best to date.

When all's said and done, it is our privilege to hear and enjoy your music and Janice's singing here on the forum and knowing the rest of the world is missing such talented writing and performing.
Another masterpiece!!! The mood is set from the first chord and it is perfect. Beautifully written chorus-captures the emotion. That tele effect is AMAZING! I scanned the RTs about 3 times looking for what that was before seeing it at the top. It just nails the vibe. Janice's vocal-PERFECT! And, the harmony worked great. Tom Adams dot com plays like a greatest hits these days! Great stuff!! Take care. Greg
Hey Tommy. The guitar strum at the start of this reminded of Neil Young. Was this recorded or generated in BIAB?

Love that subtle mando.

As usual Janice's vocal is stunning.
Posted By: boehm Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/06/16 12:29 PM
Hi Tommy,

another hit song!
Vocals and harmony are great.
I liked that guitar effect. Thanks that you told us
what it is.
I enjoyed listening a lot.

Guenter
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/06/16 03:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
really nice work.

Herb, I know what a careful listener you are, so it's always great to get a thumbs up from you. Thanks, Tom
Posted By: ROG Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/06/16 04:24 PM
Hey Tom and Janice.

What an exceptional piece of work - the skilfully crafted lyrics, the arrangement, the production, the mix, all absolutely spot on.

Then there's the performances - Janice in that low register again, bringing me out in goosebumps and the subtle harmony from Tom, supporting without ever getting in the way.

This has the air of Fleetwood Mac, with Janice in this key sounding like Christine McVie (or Christine Perfect as we knew her in the old days).

So professional and a real treat. Thanks to you both.

ROG.
Posted By: DrDan Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/06/16 07:19 PM
Simply lovin it.
Tom -

There is so much good stuff here. holy cow! (you can substitute stronger stuff there).

The opening is stellar. (Did you play the strum?). That "flute guitar" is gorgeous. The "drop" to make room for the vocal is executed perfectly (that is never easy to get just right). Great build.

Great job of building the drum track. Bringing the flute back was a nice touch.

Perfect arrangement.

Janice - you have never sounded more like a star than you do on this song. holy cow! One of your best - among dozens of bests...

Tom, your harmony on this is a true standout, as well. Like Vince Gill behind Brandy Clark. John David Souther behind Linda Rondstat. The kind that you get so hung up on the you forget to listen to anything else going on. So you have to rewind...

But wait..

"I don't want your heart to feel anything like mine" - great line.

"it’s been so cloudy I can’t find my lucky star
No I won’t get my wish tonight"
....That's a why-didn't-I-think-of-that? line.

"Well You can accept the fact it was meant to be
Or keep on looking at the stars And end up just like me"
..... Great song development.

Top-tier write. I used to get to hear a lot of songs performed (by the writers) before they got to radio. And a lot more that were every bit as good as that - they can't all get there. Now and again, you'd hear one that you just KNOW would get there. This sounds like one of those.

floyd
Posted By: Scott C Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/06/16 10:39 PM
Another awesome collaboration Tom and Janice. Well done.
Posted By: RnAM Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/07/16 12:26 PM
Truly a great collab!
Beautiful lyrics, super professional arrangement.
Janice: we particularly like your vocal here, it has sort of a modest/country feel to it. Beautiful!
Backing vocals by the way are great.
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/07/16 01:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Hey boys,

Excellent reals tracks

Very great job

Sergio

Sergio, That is very nice for you to say that. Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Tom & Janice
Stunning!
Thanks Peter. We appreciate that. Tom
Posted By: SRP Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/07/16 04:03 PM
Tom and Janice this is very fine song from the both of you. Tom this is a great write and production. Janice this fit your voice perfectly and what a great sound you produced on the Tele Tom.
I really enjoyed everything about it.
Sonny
Posted By: rsdean Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/07/16 08:40 PM
I can absolutely hear this one on the radio - excellent! Great song and outstanding vocal.

Bob

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
really nice work.

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Hey boys,

Excellent reals tracks

Very great job

Sergio

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Tom & Janice
Stunning!
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Tommy & Janice

What a great production.

Superb vocals from the entire team here. A really beautiful song, sensational lyrics.

Great listen for sure.

Thanks y'all! Tom gifted me with this one. I had a wonderful track to sing to and a nice melody/lyric to work with. Well, work is the wrong word since it was fun!

Janice
Posted By: Caloo Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/08/16 02:36 PM
A successfull collaboration Janice n Tom. Thrilling and relaxing in the same time.
Pascal
Posted By: Sundance Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/08/16 06:52 PM
Tom, you and Janice have done many wonderful collabs on here and this is my personal favorite. Simply beautiful.
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/08/16 07:28 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Tommy & Janice

What a great production.

Great listen for sure.

Trev, Thanks. We appreciate the kind comments. Tom
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

When all's said and done, it is our privilege to hear and enjoy your music and Janice's singing here on the forum and knowing the rest of the world is missing such talented writing and performing.
Charlie, With a large dose of humility we thank you. Tom
Posted By: 44kfl Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/09/16 12:31 AM
Gorgeous production, fine song, great vocals, love the instrument choices. The vocal blend sounds absolutely pro, I'm jealous.

Kenny
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/09/16 06:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Another masterpiece!!! The mood is set from the first chord and it is perfect. Beautifully written chorus-captures the emotion. That tele effect is AMAZING! I scanned the RTs about 3 times looking for what that was before seeing it at the top. It just nails the vibe. Janice's vocal-PERFECT! And, the harmony worked great. Tom Adams dot com plays like a greatest hits these days! Great stuff!! Take care. Greg
Thank you. I always enjoy your comments. And yes Janice's vocal is perfect. Tom
Originally Posted By: JosieC
Hey Tommy. The guitar strum at the start of this reminded of Neil Young. Was this recorded or generated in BIAB?

Love that subtle mando.

Josie, That guitar part does sound a little like Neil Young. It is part of a loop. The mando is a Real Track. Thanks for listening and commenting. Tom
Posted By: dani48 Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/09/16 08:02 PM
Hi, Tom, Bud & Janice !:))

This was really so very
delicately produced !
I loved everything about it !

Cheers
Dani
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

Thanks Charlie. You are very kind!

Janice

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Thank you Greg. Tom's write and playing are so good on this - it made my vocal come easy!

Janice

Originally Posted By: JosieC

Love that subtle mando.

Thanks Joanne! That was sweet of you to say that.

Janice
This is just outstanding! Every time I hear your work, I think the same thing: "this is probably the best song I have heard from you". Here we go again. This is probably the best song I have heard from you (until I go back and listen to one of the older ones)! Janice really nailed the vocals. (No surprise there.) But this one does have a special quality to it. Very heartfelt, honest and extremely well done!

Other than all the above criticisms, I really like this one! smile

Stevev
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/11/16 01:44 AM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Tommy,

another hit song!
what it is.

Guenter
Guenter,Thank you much. Glad you enjoyed it. Tom
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hey Tom and Janice.

What an exceptional piece of work - the skilfully crafted lyrics, the arrangement, the production, the mix, all absolutely spot on.

Then there's the performances - Janice in that low register again, bringing me out in goosebumps and the subtle harmony from Tom, supporting without ever getting in the way.

This has the air of Fleetwood Mac, with Janice in this key sounding like Christine McVie (or Christine Perfect as we knew her in the old days).

ROG.
ROG, Thanks for the very nice words. That low register of Janice's voice packs a lot of emotion. We always look forward to what you have to say. Tom
Originally Posted By: jazzmandan
Simply lovin it.
Really glad you commented. Thanks so much. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/12/16 10:03 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Tom -

There is so much good stuff here. holy cow! (you can substitute stronger stuff there).

The opening is stellar. (Did you play the strum?). That "flute guitar" is gorgeous. The "drop" to make room for the vocal is executed perfectly (that is never easy to get just right). Great build.

Great job of building the drum track. Bringing the flute back was a nice touch.

Perfect arrangement.

Janice - you have never sounded more like a star than you do on this song. holy cow! One of your best - among dozens of bests...

Tom, your harmony on this is a true standout, as well. Like Vince Gill behind Brandy Clark. John David Souther behind Linda Rondstat. The kind that you get so hung up on the you forget to listen to anything else going on. So you have to rewind...

But wait..

"I don't want your heart to feel anything like mine" - great line.

"it’s been so cloudy I can’t find my lucky star
No I won’t get my wish tonight"
....That's a why-didn't-I-think-of-that? line.

"Well You can accept the fact it was meant to be
Or keep on looking at the stars And end up just like me"
..... Great song development.

Top-tier write. I used to get to hear a lot of songs performed (by the writers) before they got to radio. And a lot more that were every bit as good as that - they can't all get there. Now and again, you'd hear one that you just KNOW would get there. This sounds like one of those.

floyd
floyd, Thanks so much for your continued strong support. Janice did a standout job on this. We appreciate your comments. Tom
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Another awesome collaboration Tom and Janice. Well done.
Thanks Scott!
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Truly a great collab!
Beautiful lyrics, super professional arrangement.
Janice: we particularly like your vocal here, it has sort of a modest/country feel to it. Beautiful!
Backing vocals by the way are great.
RnAM, Thanks for giving it a spin and the wonderful comments. Tom
Wow, nice song! Good songwriting, good performance and production. Love the vocals and harmonies, very much enjoyed!
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/13/16 10:49 AM
Originally Posted By: SRP
Tom and Janice this is very fine song from the both of you. Tom this is a great write and production. Janice this fit your voice perfectly and what a great sound you produced on the Tele Tom.
I really enjoyed everything about it.
Sonny
Sonny, Glad you liked it. Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: rsdean
I can absolutely hear this one on the radio - excellent! Great song and outstanding vocal.

Bob
Bob, We appreciate that. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/13/16 10:51 AM
Originally Posted By: Caloo
A successfull collaboration Janice n Tom. Thrilling and relaxing in the same time.
Pascal
An interesting observation. Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Tom, you and Janice have done many wonderful collabs on here and this is my personal favorite. Simply beautiful.
Josie, Thank you very much for your nice comments. Tom
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Gorgeous production, fine song, great vocals, love the instrument choices. The vocal blend sounds absolutely pro, I'm jealous.

Kenny
K, Thanks for the great review. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/14/16 10:48 AM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Tom, Bud & Janice !:))

This was really so very
delicately produced !
I loved everything about it !

Cheers
Dani
Thank you Dani. Tom
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
This is just outstanding! Every time I hear your work, I think the same thing: "this is probably the best song I have heard from you". Here we go again. This is probably the best song I have heard from you (until I go back and listen to one of the older ones)! Janice really nailed the vocals. (No surprise there.) But this one does have a special quality to it. Very heartfelt, honest and extremely well done!

Other than all the above criticisms, I really like this one! smile

Stevev
Steve, Any time we can get a thumbs up from you it makes for a great day. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/14/16 10:49 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Wow, nice song! Good songwriting, good performance and production. Love the vocals and harmonies, very much enjoyed!
Dave, Glad you liked it. Tom

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Tommy,

another hit song!
what it is.

Guenter

Thank you Guenter!

Janice

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hey Tom and Janice.

ROG.

Goodness ROG you are making me blush! And comparing me to McVie? You are too kind. Thank you!

Janice
Posted By: Noel96 Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/18/16 08:50 AM
Hi Janice and Tom,

I'm very very late in getting to this one. Apologies. I agree with floyd..."holy cow" x 2. I already thought you two were great before I listened! Now I'm awestruck! This is outstanding in every way. It's a great write, a stunning arrangement, magnificent performances and mixed to perfection. You have both accomplished something very special with this. Yes indeed... floyd was right... "holy cow" x 2.

Awesome!
Noel
Posted By: rodipoet Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/18/16 09:47 AM
Nice song, very surprising sounds (I liked the flute) and beatifull vocals and backings.

greetings from the Netherlands
Rob
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Cold Rain - featuring Janice Merritt - 02/18/16 09:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Janice and Tom,

I'm very very late in getting to this one. Apologies. I agree with floyd..."holy cow" x 2. I already thought you two were great before I listened! Now I'm awestruck! This is outstanding in every way. It's a great write, a stunning arrangement, magnificent performances and mixed to perfection. You have both accomplished something very special with this. Yes indeed... floyd was right... "holy cow" x 2.

Awesome!
Noel
Thanks for the wonderful comments, Tom
Originally Posted By: rodipoet
Nice song, very surprising sounds (I liked the flute) and beatifull vocals and backings.

greetings from the Netherlands
Rob
Thank you Rob, Tom
© PG Music Forums