PG Music Home
VIDEO: WAYS OF FORGETTING

AUDIO ONLY HERE

I’ve been digging some of the minimalist song structures of late (Tom owns this format!) and decided to try my hand at a “two verse /chorus and I’m out of here” format.

So I wrote a lyric, asked floyd what he thought, went along for the ride as he elevated the write way up the “image ladder,’’ and taught me a little about midi and then handed me a wonderful melody. We worked together on the mix that ended up in my comfort zone of 5-6 tracks and here’s where it all landed.

BTW If you are not familiar with the "image ladder" here is a cool songwriting thread and link to Monty Powell — original thread by floyd. READ IT HERE
EDIT: OK, I wrote the book/gin line weeks before I watched this! smile

Janice: vocal via Rodes NT1 and Blue Icicle USB to Logic Pro X
Bass RT 701 Pop half notes sync
Drums N’ville Even 8ths
Guitar RT1676 Fingerpicking acoustic rhythm country
Fiddle RT 1760 Background pop
Piano 2056 Midi SuperTrack CelticAir Rhythm rendered as midi with Logic’s Steinway Grand sound added.
Bud: Audio production stuff via Logic Pro X, Alloy2, Nectar 2, TrueVerb and Ozone 6.
The video was created using Video Editor 3, Pixelmator, FX Photo Studio and Picmonkey. All photos are PD except for the chorus photo that I shot.

Ways Of Forgetting
© 2016 floyd jane/Bud Merritt

we never worried much... about borderlines
stepping over them together.. in perfect time
I went along.. helping burn.. every bridge we ever crossed
you'd laugh and say "don't worry about what we've lost"

but I'm sick of tv, old songs, ...of who i've been 
a half finished book next to a fifth of gin     
a sad story or drink won't erase our last goodbye 
old ways of forgetting don't work                   
no matter how i try  

I danced across the strange landscape you painted
but following blind left me jaded
wasting away in your imagined playground
now I've gotta try ‘n turn my life around

but I'm sick of tv, old songs, ...of who i've been
a half finished book next to a fifth of gin     
a sad story or drink won't erase our last goodbye 
old ways of forgetting don't work                   
no matter how i try   

repeat
Hi Janice, Bud and Floyd,

what a beautiful song!
And what tasteful video.
A masterpiece!

Guenter
Flat out gorgeous. Masterful.
Another on the mark, radio ready, solid song. Superbly written, arranged, produced and performed.

You guys have clearly found your wheelhouse.

Enjoyed this one.
Janice / Bud / Floyd,

This is just beautiful... Absolutely great write, mix and as always, tremendous vocal by Janice.

Bob
Janice, Bud and Floyd,

Really wonderful song!
The guitar sounds so bright and Janice's vocal is lovely and warm (we like it when it sounds like that smile )

Rob and Anne-Marie
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Janice, Bud and Floyd,

what a beautiful song!
And what tasteful video.
A masterpiece!

Guenter

Guenter, that is hugely appreciated!!!

We're delighted you like it and the video.

Thanks!

J&B
J&B and FJ,

Another beautiful collab. Especially like that chorus - one of your best original songs. The sparse arrangement is nice and intimate. And what a great sound using midi through the Logic Steinway. I love Janice's voice so lovely here as always.
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Flat out gorgeous. Masterful.

Thank you David. Worked pretty hard on this one and glad
you like it.

J&B

Great songs as usual by you.
Very melodic, beautiful background and super vocal.

Sergio
Hi J&B (sorry for just these initials, cause you prefer the gin laugh )
Still a melancholic song in this showcase, not a surprise because melancholy gives so beautiful tunes. This one doesn't make an exception ! Perfect accompaniment and Janice's nice voice recalls me Shania Twain.

Sheers
Pascal
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Another on the mark, radio ready, solid song. Superbly written, arranged, produced and performed.

You guys have clearly found your wheelhouse.

Enjoyed this one.

Charlie, that is exceptionally nice of you say. I know you have a keen
ear for production and we really appreciate it.

J&B
Nice collaboration. Keep 'em coming! Loved it.
As usual, excellent work.

But if you're using the image ladder, don't all you songs have to start with There's a dusty old, dusty Bible laying by the bedside next to a half-empty bottle of gin? wink
Janice Bud & Floyd

Love it!
Listened to it quite a few times on Soundcloud before you posted it here.
Already has that familiar feel of songs you really know well.
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice / Bud / Floyd,

This is just beautiful... Absolutely great write, mix and as always, tremendous vocal by Janice.

Bob

Thanks Bob. We are always appreciative of your thoughts!

J&B

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Janice, Bud and Floyd,

Really wonderful song!
The guitar sounds so bright and Janice's vocal is lovely and warm (we like it when it sounds like that smile )

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks for mentioning the guitar. This is the first song I've used Alloy2 on an I was pleased with the acoustic settings it has. Janice really enjoyed singing this. Floyd really handed us a wonderful melody that she fell right in to. Glad y'all liked it!

J&B
Bud - I really like writing with you. You bring a colorful perspective to a lyric - you have no idea how important that is!

(And I really like that girl you got to sing this!)
To the team, Janice, Bud and Floyd, you've excelled again.

This is a really beautiful son, excellent lyrics, marvelous delivery.

Thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted By: Sundance
J&B and FJ,

Another beautiful collab. Especially like that chorus - one of your best original songs. The sparse arrangement is nice and intimate. And what a great sound using midi through the Logic Steinway. I love Janice's voice so lovely here as always.

We very much appreciate you noting the write, the vocal, the piano and the arrangement. We enjoyed this production and it makes it really worth the time we put into it when we read your comments.

Thank you.

J&B
I started copying some of my favorite lines but then I stopped because there was no clear borderline. This is beautifully written!! Really fresh, clever, and yet not pretentious lyrics. The arrangement is beautiful as well, and Janice's vocal-Yes, again I would say PERFECT!! Really wonderful collab! Loved it!!! Take care. Greg
Hello, Janice & Bud and Floyd

Nice collaboration.
The sadness and melancholy reached deeply to my heart with janice’s warm vocal.
This song reminds me Carole King a little bit.
Though I don’t know if gin matches the heartache more than scotch, I agree Pascal’s comment.
(Still a melancholic song in this showcase, not a surprise because melancholy gives so beautiful tunes. This one doesn't make an exception!)
Enjoyed the listen very much.

Shigeki Adachi
Janice and Bud this is a very good song from you guys and the Floyd influence is definitely there. Great vocal from Janice and the mix is superb. You guys always come up with a winner.
Sonny
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Great songs as usual by you.
Very melodic, beautiful background and super vocal.

Sergio

Thanks for listening and commenting. We appreciate if!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Caloo
Hi J&B (sorry for just these initials, cause you prefer the gin laugh )
Still a melancholic song in this showcase, not a surprise because melancholy gives so beautiful tunes. This one doesn't make an exception ! Perfect accompaniment and Janice's nice voice recalls me Shania Twain.

Sheers
Pascal

Hey Pascal, actually we prefer a good craft beer! Thank you for your comments. Janice really appreciated it.

J&B

Originally Posted By: sslechta
Nice collaboration. Keep 'em coming! Loved it.

Appreciate that!

J&B

Originally Posted By: dcuny
As usual, excellent work.

But if you're using the image ladder, don't all you songs have to start with There's a dusty old, dusty Bible laying by the bedside next to a half-empty bottle of gin? wink

Touche! But, and floyd will vouch for me I hadn't seen the vid back when I wrote the line. It's gonna take some creativity to start the next few songs with that line...particularly given that neither of us like gin smile

Glad you liked it!

J&B
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Janice Bud & Floyd

Love it!
Listened to it quite a few times on Soundcloud before you posted it here.
Already has that familiar feel of songs you really know well.

Thanks Peter. Glad you found it on SC.

J&B

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Bud - I really like writing with you. You bring a colorful perspective to a lyric - you have no idea how important that is!

(And I really like that girl you got to sing this!)

Thank you floyd. I've learned more from you about songwriting than I ever dreamed possible. It's an honor to have my name and yours on a credit. Yeah that girl was driving by, saw a light on, and walked in ready to sing.

J&b
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
To the team, Janice, Bud and Floyd, you've excelled again.

This is a really beautiful son, excellent lyrics, marvelous delivery.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! We appreciate your time to listen and comment.

J&B
Just a quick thanks to everyone who included me in their comments... and a big thanks to Bud for including me in the song...
It's a great melody and a beautiful voice to sing it, I love the chord progression, the piano sound, the overall mix, let's sign ya'll up right now!

Kenny
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
I started copying some of my favorite lines but then I stopped because there was no clear borderline. This is beautifully written!! Really fresh, clever, and yet not pretentious lyrics. The arrangement is beautiful as well, and Janice's vocal-Yes, again I would say PERFECT!! Really wonderful collab! Loved it!!! Take care. Greg

Hey Greg, thanks a lot for mentioning the write. I was happy with it and glad that fj was willing to tune it up for me. And Janice much appreciates the vocal thumbs up!

J&B
Marvelous collaboration and fantastic music.
The melody is really impressive; the repeated passages with variations are soothing and make me relax. And your voice! I like the song very much.

Hiroshi
I agree with everything that has been said, great vocal, mix, instrumentation etc.

You three have raised the bar.............again!

You should be extremely proud of this collaboration.
Very nice! The piano sounds wonderful. Those SuperTracks are super!
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Janice & Bud and Floyd

Nice collaboration.
The sadness and melancholy reached deeply to my heart with janice’s warm vocal.
This song reminds me Carole King a little bit.
Though I don’t know if gin matches the heartache more than scotch, I agree Pascal’s comment.
(Still a melancholic song in this showcase, not a surprise because melancholy gives so beautiful tunes. This one doesn't make an exception!)
Enjoyed the listen very much.

Shigeki Adachi

Thank you for the nice review. We're not fans of gin but it does rhyme easily!

We appreciate your thoughtful comments very much.

J&B
Hi Janice, Bud, Floyd.

Simply professional whichever way you look at it.

I switched the video to full screen on the 47" monitor, put the lights down and and just lost myself in it.

What more can I say?

ROG.
Wow! Is this good, or what??!!

So few tracks and so much music. What a treat this was to listen to. The simplicity of the music and the refined performance, particularly Janice's voice, is second to none. Great mixing and a terrific lyric. Nope ... doesn't get much better than this!

Alan & Di
Hi, Bud, Floyd and Janice !

WOW ! What a wonderful write
so beautifully performed ! WOW !
Great, just great music !!!:))

Cheers
Dani
Originally Posted By: SRP
Janice and Bud this is a very good song from you guys and the Floyd influence is definitely there. Great vocal from Janice and the mix is superb. You guys always come up with a winner.
Sonny

Thanks Sonny. This one was a lot of fun. I love me some mixing when it's no more than 5 tracks or so smile

J&B
Did I comment on this one yet? Cant remember and too lazy to go back through 4 pages of comments to see if I did or not. Listened a couple of days ago.

This is just lovely. The piano suits the style and Janice vocal as always outstanding.
"Im'sick of TV" sure...
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
It's a great melody and a beautiful voice to sing it, I love the chord progression, the piano sound, the overall mix, let's sign ya'll up right now!

Kenny

That's mighty nice of you Kenny. Floyd, indeed, gave Janice a great melody to sing. And thanks for also mentioning the piano and the mix. We all appreciate it.

J&B
Originally Posted By: HiroshiK
Marvelous collaboration and fantastic music.
The melody is really impressive; the repeated passages with variations are soothing and make me relax. And your voice! I like the song very much.

Hiroshi

Thank you very much Hiroshi! It was very nice of you to say that.

Janice
Janice and Bud,
So glad I didn't miss this one. Great all the way around. Really enjoyed it.

SD
Hi Janice, Bud and Floyd. I must say you are producing some incredible music . Another beautiful song.
Hi, guys !:))

I am awed at what you
are able to produce !
And the quality in
everything you do
together !:)))

WOW !!!

Cheers
Dani
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I agree with everything that has been said, great vocal, mix, instrumentation etc.

You three have raised the bar.............again!

You should be extremely proud of this collaboration.

Originally Posted By: fgrittner
Very nice! The piano sounds wonderful. Those SuperTracks are super!

Thanks y'all! We had fun with the production and it's very cool that you like it.

J&B
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Janice, Bud, Floyd.

Simply professional whichever way you look at it.

I switched the video to full screen on the 47" monitor, put the lights down and and just lost myself in it.

What more can I say?

ROG.

Hey Rog, we all much appreciate those comments. BTW, we went to considerable effort to use only PD photos that would look good on a large monitor. It narrows down the options but is worth the time.

Thanks!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Wow! Is this good, or what??!!

So few tracks and so much music. What a treat this was to listen to. The simplicity of the music and the refined performance, particularly Janice's voice, is second to none. Great mixing and a terrific lyric. Nope ... doesn't get much better than this!

Alan & Di

Thank y'all so much. I really do appreciate that.

Janice
Originally Posted By: JosieC
Did I comment on this one yet? Cant remember and too lazy to go back through 4 pages of comments to see if I did or not. Listened a couple of days ago.

This is just lovely. The piano suits the style and Janice vocal as always outstanding.
"Im'sick of TV" sure...

Thanks Joanne!

Janice
Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Janice and Bud,
So glad I didn't miss this one. Great all the way around. Really enjoyed it.

SD

Thanks!

Janice
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Hi Janice, Bud and Floyd. I must say you are producing some incredible music . Another beautiful song.

Thanks Scott. We very much appreciate your comment!

J&B
© PG Music Forums