PG Music Home
Posted By: dga "Maybelline" - 03/12/16 11:12 PM
My first post. https://soundcloud.com/lost-sheep-843065653
Interested in any feedback. Thanks
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: "Maybelline" - 03/13/16 12:49 AM
dga, for a first post, this is absolutely excellent.

A great vibe right throughout the song.

You've done a great job.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: "Maybelline" - 03/13/16 01:58 AM
Nice song, performance and production. I enjoyed it.
Posted By: Al-David Re: "Maybelline" - 03/13/16 02:03 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

You've done a great job.

e have to agree with Video Track's assessment. Big +12 from us. Best to you and wishing you continued success with BIAB ....

Alan & Di
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: "Maybelline" - 03/13/16 10:24 AM
Nice groove and yep, a great first post here.

Tell us a little more about yourself, your process, and the tracks you used.
Posted By: Scott C Re: "Maybelline" - 03/13/16 10:39 AM
Very cool beat to the song. Excellent vocal and lyric
Posted By: boehm Re: "Maybelline" - 03/13/16 12:06 PM
Hi dga,

welcome to the forum!
Nice first post.
Enjoyable listen.

Guenter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: "Maybelline" - 03/13/16 12:22 PM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi dga,

welcome to the forum!
Nice first post.
Enjoyable listen.

Guenter

Plus 2!

The vocal sounds a bit dry -- might be my old ears!
Perhaps boost the reverb a small amount.

Enjoyed it.

J&B
Posted By: David Snyder Re: "Maybelline" - 03/13/16 05:11 PM
This is really great! It seems as if I know you though. Have I met you somewhere perhaps, maybe even jammed or co-written a song with you? Oh who are you strange stranger with the bold new post and great new song?

Could not your bio reveal your true identity, perhaps a name, or let us know if you might be a neighbor? Oh tell us now, who art thou mysterious and heavily cloaked mask'ed man of the BIAB forum???

Who stands behind this song???

Have we ever met?
Posted By: DaleEK Re: "Maybelline" - 03/13/16 11:19 PM
Country isn't my style, but I'm digging this. Nicely done !
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: "Maybelline" - 03/14/16 01:58 PM
Welcome to the forum! Nice song! Nice simple, well-constructed backing track, and good job on the vocal. I'd like to see the lyrics to follow along. The vocal processing sounded like a light slap-back vs. a warmer reverb. Love to hear more! Take care. Greg
Posted By: RnAM Re: "Maybelline" - 03/14/16 04:21 PM
Hello dga,

This is a very nice first post to this forum.
Looking forward to hearing more of your stuff.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 03/15/16 06:11 PM
Thank you
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 03/15/16 06:16 PM
VideoTrack thanks
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 03/15/16 06:38 PM
David Snyder -- the man who taught me everything I know about BIAB -- I'm your student David G Abowd (dga). If anyone out there does not know David Snyder then let me introduce him to you. David is one of the most talented musicians I know. I had purchased BIAB 2015 in December 2014 and was having trouble getting anything out of it except some short looped jamming tracks to practice with. Well when I told David this he invited me over to his house and gave me an intensive once over of both BIAB and RealBand. I went home right away and before you knew it I hit a snag. Not to worry I called up David and he talked me through the problem. I went on for another 11 months making backing tracks for all of my original songs using BIAB and RB. Then a few months ago David spent several sessions with me on how to record Vocals.

In a few months Maybelle, I'm still shocked I was able to write, arrange in BAIB, record the vocals in RB, and render the wave file. Now the bad news I'd like to get that vocal sound back and I saved the settings, to my local C drive on my computer. Which crashed about a week after recording this song. I hope I can restore the computer to use. I think I can get the.tgs file from the HD and transfer it to my new computer. If that is right I'm happy.
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 03/15/16 06:39 PM
thanks
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 03/15/16 06:40 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

You've done a great job.

Thank you
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 03/15/16 06:41 PM
Charlie, thank you
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 03/15/16 06:45 PM
Thanks Scott
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 03/15/16 06:47 PM
Thank-you
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 03/15/16 06:51 PM
Dale I don't do Country normally. This is the first Country song for me. I'm a Rocker from Detroit relocated to NC in 1975. So I just kinda absorbed the sound. Thanks for listening.
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 03/15/16 06:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Welcome to the forum! Nice song! Nice simple, well-constructed backing track, and good job on the vocal. I'd like to see the lyrics to follow along. The vocal processing sounded like a light slap-back vs. a warmer reverb. Love to hear more! Take care. Greg

Greg this is a rough recording that turned out so good I couldn't throw it away. I didn't even sing it correctly and left out the second verse. I'm working on the next release and will include the correct lyrics in that post.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: "Maybelline" - 03/16/16 06:42 PM
Nice song! very catchy. Enjoyed it very much.

Kenny
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: "Maybelline" - 03/17/16 08:55 AM
So...... I go to our Nashville Songwriters Raleigh chapter meeting and we're setting there talking about music and songwriting and of course, Band in The Box. So David is talking about something.... when the "other David" David Snyder, looks at me and points to David, and says.... "That's "Maybelline" ... it tales about 3 seconds to register.... dga David is a local here in Raleigh....

So our NSAI Raleigh chapter has currently 3 BB users who are active here in the forums.

Small world out there.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: "Maybelline" - 03/18/16 11:51 PM
And you Herb, for better or worse, are totally responsible for any and all mayhem and havoc we may wreak since you are the one got us started.

If we write the world's worst songs and foist them upon the people, may God have mercy on your soul.

smile
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 03/20/16 10:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
So...... I go to our Nashville Songwriters Raleigh chapter meeting and we're setting there talking about music and songwriting and of course, Band in The Box. So David is talking about something.... when the "other David" David Snyder, looks at me and points to David, and says.... "That's "Maybelline" ... it tales about 3 seconds to register.... dga David is a local here in Raleigh....

So our NSAI Raleigh chapter has currently 3 BB users who are active here in the forums.

Small world out there.

BIAB use should pick up in this area. Every time I go out and play I get questions. My live rig is Backing Tracks produced in BIAB/RB Loaded into my TC-Helicon VoiceLive3 Extreme, a nice acoustic and a condenser vocal mic. I have lots of backing tracks so I'm working on laying down Vocal tracks in RB.

New songs soon. I hope.
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 03/20/16 10:43 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Nice song! very catchy. Enjoyed it very much.

Kenny

Thanks Kenny
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 03/24/16 02:19 PM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi dga,

welcome to the forum!
Nice first post.
Enjoyable listen.

Guenter

Thanks, Guenter. And Everybody who has listened to "Maybelline" BIAB is amazing every day I learn more and more about the features. I want to encourage users to post their first songs, I was surprised the reaction. I'm feverishly working on my next release. "Maybelline" will be a hard one to follow.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: "Maybelline" - 03/24/16 05:05 PM
David,

Welcome to the forum.

Nice use of "the BAND" on this. Can tell you are having fun...

floyd
Posted By: MarioD Re: "Maybelline" - 03/24/16 09:16 PM
Dga, this is on great first post. Your mix sounded good but with a touch of reverb would put it over the top IMHO.

You have a very nice voice and your lyrics are great.
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 03/30/16 08:32 PM
Thanks everybody for playing my song. Over 1150 plays in 8 days
Posted By: big741 Re: "Maybelline" - 03/31/16 12:31 AM
Good job, dga.

Quite enjoyable.
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 03/31/16 12:50 AM
Originally Posted By: big741
Good job, dga.

Quite enjoyable.

Thanks Big741
Posted By: Noel96 Re: "Maybelline" - 03/31/16 03:52 AM
Hi David,

I join with all the accolades of those before me. This is a really enjoyable listen.

Welcome to the forum. You've certainly set a high bar for yourself with your first post. I look forward to hearing more.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Caloo Re: "Maybelline" - 03/31/16 01:17 PM
Hi dga, your song carried me all along as nicely as could be a stroll in the country on your SoundCloud picture page, and as the beauty of Maybelline too!
Cheers
Pascal
Posted By: dani48 Re: "Maybelline" - 04/01/16 03:45 AM
Hi, dga !:))

I´ll join in with all the others
who have said that this is a very
good first post !:))

Welcome here, we look forward to hear
more from you !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: "Maybelline" - 04/01/16 05:46 PM

Nice tune.
Good chord line and well sung by you.

I like it.

Sergio
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 04/02/16 12:36 AM
Originally Posted By: big741
Good job, dga.

Quite enjoyable.

I like to respond to each post, thanks I'm glad you liked it.

I'm a little late because I had to remove malware from my computer today. 4 hours. UGH
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 04/02/16 12:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Nice tune.
Good chord line and well sung by you.

I like it.

Sergio

Sergio, thanks I see the song has traveled around a lot in 10 days.
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 04/02/16 12:38 AM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, dga !:))

I´ll join in with all the others
who have said that this is a very
good first post !:))

Welcome here, we look forward to hear
more from you !:))

Cheers
Dani

Dani, thanks. I'm working on the next one. But, I don't know how I'm going to come close to this one?
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 04/02/16 12:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Caloo
Hi dga, your song carried me all along as nicely as could be a stroll in the country on your SoundCloud picture page, and as the beauty of Maybelline too!
Cheers
Pascal

Pascal thank you for you kind words. Where are you from I'm not familiar with your location
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 04/02/16 12:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi David,

I join with all the accolades of those before me. This is a really enjoyable listen.

Welcome to the forum. You've certainly set a high bar for yourself with your first post. I look forward to hearing more.

All the best,
Noel

OH YES that high bar is looming over my studio right now as I try to finish another tune. It's no Maybelline, but then I wasn't going to even post that song. I had written 4 that day, Then Maybelline just popped out and I could not get it out of my head. Recorded, and mixed it in about 4 hours. Then realized I had left out a verse in BIAB. That is why it is only 2:11sec.

I don't use anything but BIAB and RB so I'm not a technical guy. But, I do get lucky sometimes.
Posted By: Caloo Re: "Maybelline" - 04/02/16 05:17 PM
Originally Posted By: dga
[

Pascal thank you for you kind words. Where are you from I'm not familiar with your location

St-Pierre & Miquelon is a tiny archipelago close south Newfoundland (canada), the only territory of North America kept by France throughout history.

Pascal
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 04/03/16 12:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Caloo
[

St-Pierre & Miquelon is a tiny archipelago close south Newfoundland (canada), the only territory of North America kept by France throughout history.

Pascal

Nice do you speak both French and English
Posted By: Caloo Re: "Maybelline" - 04/03/16 02:10 PM

Nice do you speak both French and English

The language here is the "French", without the accent or expressions of Québec. Many peoples speak only this language, some others master english well because of the proximity to canadian maritime provinces (studies, business, family, friends), some others practice it averagely as I do myself (I am born in France, the main land wink )

Cheers
Pascal
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: "Maybelline" - 04/03/16 02:21 PM
Hello David! Welcome to the forum!

Somebody in the comments above characterized your song as country, but I didn't hear it that way... to me you sound like a cross between Cat Stevens and Gordon lightfoot... sort of a folky/Americana/Heartland hybrid.

That style isn't too far removed from the stuff that's currently being played at places like Merlefest... and given the momentum of genres very close to what you are doing, you might consider riding the wave and using more bluegrass instruments in your songs. They'd fit well, and I've noticed that using a banjo in a song doesn't necessarily make it sound like bluegrass.

Anyway, nice song! If you were tutored by (the other) David, I'm guessing you live in NC too? Man, this forum is being taken over by North Carolinians! ;-)
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 04/04/16 01:01 AM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Hello David! Welcome to the forum!

Somebody in the comments above characterized your song as country, but I didn't hear it that way... to me you sound like a cross between Cat Stevens and Gordon lightfoot... sort of a folky/Americana/Heartland hybrid.

That style isn't too far removed from the stuff that's currently being played at places like Merlefest... and given the momentum of genres very close to what you are doing, you might consider riding the wave and using more bluegrass instruments in your songs. They'd fit well, and I've noticed that using a banjo in a song doesn't necessarily make it sound like bluegrass.

Anyway, nice song! If you were tutored by (the other) David, I'm guessing you live in NC too? Man, this forum is being taken over by North Carolinians! ;-)

Well Pat THANKS! Cat Stevens and Gordon Lightfoot I definitely listened enough to those two. Thanks for the compliment. I live in Raleigh NC and work with the other David (MENTOR) Snyder see posts above. But, I find it interesting you mentioned Merlfest. My biggest influence for the last 4 years has been the Kruger Brothers. And if you know Merlfest you know them well as they are a mainstay there. Huge fans and friends with Doc Watson. There is a mandolin in the mix on "Maybelline" its on the off beat. I have a new tune I'm working on that has a lead Banjo, 2 - 12 string guitars, 2 electric guitars, a Nashville/Country drum kit, and Upright bass, it's in 3/4 Waltz Swing time. Its my first attempt to create a custom style. I call it rockin' the grass. Writing and singing in 3/4 timing is tricky for me so I have a lot of work before this one is going to come out.
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 04/04/16 11:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Nice song, performance and production. I enjoyed it.

I am using BIAB Everything Pack 1016 build 432, RB build 3, Bonus Pack 49. All the effects are from PG music. RB is the only DAW I have. I did not do it on this song but in the past I have used Audacity to do some editing on the final mix. Fade in Fade out mostly.

I have a Windows 10 PC with 24G ddr4 RAM. 1- 125GBSSD and 1- 2TB 7200 RPM HD
Posted By: David Snyder Re: "Maybelline" - 04/05/16 02:19 PM
Ah, Pat, let's not forget that Raleigh, North Carolina is officially the Bluegrass Capital of the World.

smile

International Bluegrass Music Festival?? It moved here from Nashville. So they can say they are the country capital, but we ARE the bluegrass mecca man. Appalachia, son. smile Doc Watson. Well I guess you know where he came from. North Carolina.

By the way, some guy looking for money in Tennessee wanted to know if he could come to Raleigh to teach people how to play the guitar.

I didn't know a polite way to tell him that there are about a thousand guys and ladies around here who could eat him for lunch. That all we do around here. Pick guitar. Oh, and we make software. That too.

smile

Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 04/07/16 07:01 AM
My first post. https://soundcloud.com/lost-sheep-843065653
Interested in any feedback. Thanks

Long overdue information.
File:Maybellenecountry.SGU
Key=B , Tempo 175, Length (m:s)=2:11
No intro. 92 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 92. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _HAYRIDE.STY (Fast Country Swing w/ Resonator )

RealTracks in style: ~~540:Bass, Electric, Pop Sw 165
RealTracks in style: ~~373:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Hank Sw 165
RealTracks in style: ~608:Guitar, Resonator, Background Hayride Sw 190
RealTracks in style: ~611:Mandolin, Rhythm Fast Chop Sw 190
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleSwing8^1-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Used RB to Mix
My vocals and harmony
PG Music effects Dynamic, Reverb,Echo
Posted By: dani48 Re: "Maybelline" - 04/10/16 01:52 AM
Hi, David !:))

I also want to wish you
welcome to the forum !

The tune is very good
as is the rest of the
production too !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 04/23/16 12:06 AM
Thanks Everyone for listening to my song Maybelline, I cannot believe it has almost 3000 plays. I'm gun shy. The next songs I'm working on are not even close to this one. Lots of crumpled up paper on my studio floor. But, I'm having fun and that's what really counts.
Posted By: gruverider Re: "Maybelline" - 04/23/16 02:01 PM
Love the groove. A sweet song.

much enjoyed
Posted By: dga Re: "Maybelline" - 04/23/16 03:06 PM
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Love the groove. A sweet song.

much enjoyed
Thanks glad you liked the song.
© PG Music Forums