PG Music Home
Cubase was not my cup of tea I guess, it was really holding me back because it was so un-intuitive. I stumbled onto Studio One Professional and was blown away with how well everything flowed! Anyway, fired up my brand new 2016 BIB, wrote this one and threw it into Studio One and spent a month learning it with this song.

BIB 2016 is awsome as well, I really feel like I'm in Producer heaven right now.

Anyway, the song is called "Drifting Away" here are the BIB tracks...

_CROK12H.STY. Slow Classic Rock w/ Held 12 Str
RD: NashvilleEven16^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride :Brian Fullen
RT366: Bass, Electric, Country Ev 065 , Dow Tomlin
RT688: Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 065 , Gene Rabbai
RT2534: Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, HeldChords , Pat McGrath

And here is the song:

https://soundcloud.com/mothers-bad-son/drifting-away

I put in piano, lead, pads and vocals.

Well...I have to get back to my cloud now. Let me know how I can make it better if you care to.

Rick
Nice song. It's well written, arranged, mixed and produced. Enjoyed my listen.
It always helps the energy flow when you have something that's a breeze to use.

Cool tune
Hi Rickey!

I like the live feel in your song, and I can easily imagine it being played in a live venue! I think you did a great job with the parts you played in the mix!

The only nit (and keep in mind, observations say more about the listener's taste than about the songs quality) is that I would have liked the sound to persist the whole way through the breaks. Maybe a some reverb with a long tail could be inserted just before the stop. But when the sound dies out completely, it sends the message that the song is over. In a live venue, that would clear the dance floor.

Having expressed my opinion, I want to end by saying I really liked the song and especially your performances in it!
Congrats on the new DAW Rickey. That's always a transition. Glad you found one that fits your workflow.

I also like the live feel of this and that lead guitar is soooo nice. I think Pat might be on to something with the stops.

Cool song. Enjoyed it very much.
Rick,

A good overall sound to the song. Nice leads.

I agree with Pat - the breaks need something ringing through. And the drums ought to come up (a bunch, I think).

(I've used Studio One Professional for a couple of years now. Love it.)

floyd
Posted By: Rick Hansen Everyone is right on. - 04/03/16 04:36 PM
I totally agree on the silence. I imagined something different when I was composing it but I tried this and It really didn't fit. I will fix that and remix. I also was disapointed in the final render with the drum volume will fix that also. Thanks for the feedback, it's great to have this forum, there is some real talent in here.

Rick.
Posted By: Caloo Re: Everyone is right on. - 04/03/16 06:14 PM
Nice song Rickey !
Quiet voice but with a real presence. Nice arrangement and solos. Same opinion about the pauses. Maybe also the echo near the end and the following stereo effect are dispensable.
Cheers
Pascal
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Everyone is right on. - 04/03/16 06:27 PM
Well written and great vocals.
Rob
Hello Rick

Sounds like a true 90s ballad, cool emotional vocal.
Very well done.
About Cubase:
Funny, we use it all the time because we find other DAWs not all that intuitive smile

Kind regards,
Rob and Anne-Marie
Nice! Looks like you are getting that new DAW down pat!! Good job!!
Really a great song Rick ! In one place it reminded me of a Pink Floyd song... You also have a very good voice...

I will download that Studio One trial and see if it can blow me away also...;)
Posted By: Rick Hansen Rob and Anne-Marie - 04/05/16 12:53 AM
I used cubase for 5 years until I tried Studio one. The drag and drop feature is amazingly intuitive and the work flows like a river of inspiration when mixing. Seems as rock solid as Cubase to. Anyway, it's whatever works for us I guess, Cubase did a wonderful job for me but I am blown away with S1.

In any case there wouldn't even be a song if it wasn't for BIB, I couldn't imagine composing without it right now. The 2016 version is just about perfect I would say. I'm a customer for life ( but I'm 68 so thats not saying to much LOL).

Rick.

Thanks everybody for the kind words and advice, I treasure every one of them.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Rob and Anne-Marie - 04/05/16 04:43 AM
Hi Rickey,

I like this. I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I clicked on the link but you left me with a smile on my face and the thought "I enjoyed that journey a lot" floating around inside my head.

Regards,
Noel
Updated:
https://soundcloud.com/mothers-bad-son/drifting-away
Yeah Rickey, you got it ! Now the first break propels the following part and the others mark the pauses very effectively.
Cheers
Pascal
Very good song! I just left you a review over on soundcloud. Nice vocal, and I like your guitar work too.
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Nice song. It's well written, arranged, mixed and produced. Enjoyed my listen.

I agree!! It carried me away. Very sweet and pleasant! Take care. Greg
Mothers Bad Son does some awesome music! smile Love the tune, still playing while I am typing! Super job! smile
Thanks everyone, BIB is awesome for sure.
Hi, Rickey !:))

I liked the tune and
your vocal suits it
perfectly !:))

Cheers
Dani
Hi, Rickey !:))

I liked the tune and
your vocal suited it
perfectly !:))

Cheers
Dani