PG Music Home
Posted By: Paul bright No Body's Stopping Me - 04/04/16 12:04 AM
This is all BB mixed down in separate tracks in cubase. Thank you for a great product that allows me to focus on the creative side and the music

https://www.reverbnation.com/paulbright/song/25656822-nobodys-stopping-me-2016
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/04/16 12:25 AM
Very impressive Paul

You have demonstrated ways to take the program in anther direction again.

Great mix BTW.
Posted By: Paul bright Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/04/16 12:37 AM
Thank you my friend... been spending the last two years learning about frequencies and mixing. now I can bring bb into the mix and create whatever is in my mind, and hopefully make it sound good smile
Posted By: boehm Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/04/16 12:02 PM
Hi Paul,

great song. Convincing vocals.
Enjoyable listen.
I'd like to know what RTs you used.

Guenter
Posted By: Noel96 Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/04/16 12:55 PM
Paul,

This is awesome! You've taken BIAB into areas I've never heard before. As I listened, I sat here thinking "This is incredible" over and over. It sounds like you've performed some very skillful Realtrack surgery to accomplish what you've done.

The musical energy you generate with this creation radiates every which way.

I really enjoyed it.
Noel

P.S. Your vocals are outstanding!

Posted By: Caloo Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/04/16 01:15 PM
Indeed Paul, when your tune is launched, difficult to stop it !
A powerful and colorful piece with uncommon sounds however pulled from BiaB. Solid vocal too !
Cheers
Pascal
Posted By: Paul bright Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/04/16 04:05 PM
The song is based off _ELDISCO.STY with separate parts added. Drum

Guitar 1: 1400: Guitar Electric, Rythem Soul70BrightSteady Ev16 100
Guitar 2: 2634: Guitar Eletric, Rythem CountryBluesRock ev 110
Bass: 2299: Bass Synth DanceRoickBuzzBassQuarter Ev 120
Piano: 1576: piano, Acoustic Rhtm Soul60sHeld 110
Organ: 671: Organ B3 background Sourthern Ev 120

guitar solo: 1720 Guitar Soloist TexasBluesRockStraightBrent Ev120.. (heavily chopped up and edited to fit)

Hope that helps.

There is a lot of plugin processing happening in the cubase side. Fabfilters Q2 is being used to carve out the instrument frequencies, VSS plugin is used for instrument placement in the room.
Slate is used for compresson and vocal recording (there vms mike system), Waves is used for console emulation. If anyone wants to see the cubase project of the bb tracks more then happy to show my work flow. BB is product you can achieve great things with. My prefered mixing daw is cubase and bb works very well in that work flow.

The only grip I have with BB is it should allow for the drum tracks to be split out to separate audio files..
kick.wav snare.wav etc...

Then I could do real eqing on the drums like a real sound engineer smile

Please add that feature in a future update.. that would be icing on my cake...
Posted By: RnAM Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/04/16 04:41 PM
Hello Paul,

Great energy on this one.
Almost doesn't sound like BiaB.
Very well done, very professional.

Kind regards,
Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/04/16 07:02 PM
Paul,

As Trevor said... very impressive. Excellent use of varying pieces of BIAB.

GREAT vocals! And a nice pop/rock write. Cool song.

Nice job of editing the solo guitar to work with the style. That must have taken some time...

This is top notch stuff.

I did have a feeling that there was "bottom" missing - no low end to compliment the really crisp top end. Not to take away from how very good this is...

Hope we will see more of you in the future..

floyd
Posted By: Trygve Larsen Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/04/16 08:22 PM
One word Paul; Wow ! This was some of the absolute best I have heard from a BB user. Now I really get what proper mixing does to the final result... Thanks also for sharing the RT you used... Have been working on some Hip-Hop stuff, and heard something there I will check out...

"If anyone wants to see the cubase project of the bb tracks more then happy to show my work flow." Yess please ! Not that I have Cubase, but just to have any Idea how this quality is acquired would be awesome..

Your voice is also awesome Paul.
I side with Floyd; "This is top notch stuff."
You inspired me today !
Posted By: David Snyder Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/04/16 09:54 PM
This is really great Paul. A really original sound and mix.
Posted By: Paul bright Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/04/16 11:58 PM
Ok this is my work flow in cubase for BB tracks..

https://youtu.be/SkH1gIIWPdE
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/05/16 08:49 AM
Yup... very nice work. I have to agree that this is one of the more creative uses of BB I have heard in a very long time.

For a second I was wondering what RB drum track you used... then I realized it was something other than RB drums. Loved that bass line off the beat. What a cool feel to the song.

I could hear Donna Summer singing this.... cool retro groove tune.

I also would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see PG make the drum tracks as individual tracks for us DAW mixers and engineers when we render a real drum style. Have two options... the entire kit as we have it now, and of course, individual tracks for those of us who love to tinker. I can't count the times I wanted to bring up the kick and EQ the snare..... and had to settle for something less.... or try to incorporate some midi in to try to fix the issue.

I second Floyd's sentiments about the bottom end.... not enough thump and not enough low end bass. Especially for the style.

Nice work.
Posted By: Paul bright Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/05/16 10:54 AM
The good thing about mixing it yourself, when there is a perceived problem you can go in there an try fix it. Now that I've had sometime away from the song.. will re-bring into cubase and listen specifically to bottom end. Very rarely do I get the mix right completely in the first sitting. So I guess its time to circle back around and tweak.....

But PlEASE give me the added flexibility to drop individual tracks for the DRUM instruments, kick, snare, cymbal, hihat, toms etc.... That would be a sound engineers dream.... smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/05/16 11:50 AM
"The only grip I have with BB is it should allow for the drum tracks to be split out to separate audio files..
kick.wav snare.wav etc..."

In the BiaB file structure there are audio files of each drum RD and at the end of the audio file there are examples of each sound used by the RD drummer. You can use these to double the RD track or you can volume shape the sound out of the RD track and have only the selected sound, e.g., snare on it's own track for whatever effects you choose. I often double the snare.

Back to the song. Dunno if you use mastering software but with Ozone it is very easy to, e.g., add clean bottom end to the production w/o revisiting the mix...unless the mix is bad which yours is clearly not...at all.

Pardon the ramble we REALLY enjoyed the spin!

J&B
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/05/16 12:26 PM
Hey Paul,

This is some exciting music! I love the driving EDM style beat, which would be a perfect fit on any dance floor! Your song is an interesting hybrid, with elements of disco (The highly quantized drum beat) , EDM (the machine gun drum rolls) unknown genre (the cheeky self-affirming lyrics) and 80s rock (the guitar decorations)

I'm curious to know how you would label this song in terms of genre.

Your vocals are not only well-sung, but they're mixed well too! You must have a pretty good range, because the melody is on the high side for a male, and I didn't hear any strain in your voice.. you just glided through the notes with apparent ease!

I really liked the way you used backing vocals as a fill instrument
I also like the fuzzy synth that hits on the 2 and 4... it fills a sonic range that nothing else is using on that beat

EXCELLENT listen! I love this kind of music! Hope to hear more from you!
Posted By: Paul bright Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/05/16 02:58 PM
One of the big problems I have you nailed right on the head. I have no clue what this style is. That kind of goes with every song I write. I hear it in my head, and hopefully my skills are getting better so that what is in my head actually is heard by my ears when I'm done.

Take a poll here.. Create a new style name for my kind of music..lol Don't even get me started who my audience would be...lol

Bottom line I love making music. It just amazes me that a voice in your head can take you from nothing to a product that you can be proud of.

Style: BrightIndie Lol

I guess my range is ok... the song fits my vocal I think...whatever that style is. I write music to what my voice can do.. right now still learning what that is smile
Posted By: Paul bright Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/05/16 03:00 PM
Whatever this style turns out to be.. I think I'm going to attempt to write more in its fashion...
Posted By: Scott C Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/05/16 03:16 PM
Wow very cool. Excellent vocal.
Posted By: Paul bright Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/05/16 03:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"The only grip I have with BB is it should allow for the drum tracks to be split out to separate audio files..

In the BiaB file structure there are audio files of each drum RD and at the end of the audio file there are examples of each sound used by the RD drummer. You can use these to double the RD track or you can volume shape the sound out of the RD track and have only the selected sound, e.g., snare on it's own track for whatever effects you choose. I often double the snare.

Back to the song. Dunno if you use mastering software but with Ozone it is very easy to, e.g., add clean bottom end to the production w/o revisiting the mix...unless the mix is bad which yours is clearly not...at all.

J&B

For me its more of being able to carve the different drum instruments frequencies into the mix and use proper eq. Its hard to do that on a single drum track. In my mixing I want to have the ability to hit individual drum instruments.. kick, snare hihat.. etc. and eq them properly by themselves. That is standard mix down practice. Most of time I hear what bb does with the drum, but I throw it away and use one of my plugins to simulate what I heard so that I can split the drum parts into separate tracks and do what do with them. The option to generate separate wav drum tracks (kick, snare etc) just would be an awesome update to BB at some point.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/05/16 05:28 PM
Great track Paul!! It is great how much power BIAB brings to your creativity. This is a great rockin', energetic track. Really good job on the vocal! Enjoyed this! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Paul bright Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/05/16 07:47 PM
Playing around with the Video...lol Just updated it.. learning Adobe Premier Pro

https://youtu.be/Oa5f3MAk2U8

Posted By: PeterF Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/06/16 06:27 AM
Excellent production and performance.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/06/16 06:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Paul bright

J&B

For me its more of being able to carve the different drum instruments frequencies into the mix and use proper eq. Its hard to do that on a single drum track. In my mixing I want to have the ability to hit individual drum instruments.. kick, snare hihat.. etc. and eq them properly by themselves. That is standard mix down practice. Most of time I hear what bb does with the drum, but I throw it away and use one of my plugins to simulate what I heard so that I can split the drum parts into separate tracks and do what do with them. The option to generate separate wav drum tracks (kick, snare etc) just would be an awesome update to BB at some point.

I think I didn't state it clearly. You will have separate tracks if you use the kit sounds at the end of the master RD audio file. It is in a folder called drums (there is a master audio file for all of the RD's). The cool thing is that you are using the kit sound that goes with that exact RD track that you generated in BiaB. You can align the kit sound with it's respective sound on the generated RD track on a separate track. It's not as tedious as it sounds as you can clone and paste after you get a few in...so doubling is easy. If you want to remove, for example, the kick from the RD track rather than just doubling you will have to volume shape it out and that is tedious but for some tunes it's worth it.

Recently we produced a reggae song for which I used one of the reggae RD's but removed everything but the snare and ride by volume shaping them out. After this Janice played percussion (cajon) with what remained. I then went and doubled the snare. So I had the original stereo drum track, a stereo two mic track of her cajon and a third track with just the RD snare. Often I find that just doubling or replacing the kick and snare on separate tracks will give you a huge amount of control over the drums. All FWIW!

OK, to keep this post on topic smile we just listened again to your tune. It ROCKS!

Bud
Posted By: Paul bright Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/06/16 06:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Paul bright

J&B

I think I didn't state it clearly. You will have separate tracks if you use the kit sounds at the end of the master RD audio file. It is in a folder called drums (there is a master audio file for all of the RD's). The cool thing is that you are using the kit sound that goes with that exact RD track that you generated in BiaB. You can align the kit sound with it's respective sound on the generated RD track on a separate track. It's not as tedious as it sounds as you can clone and paste after you get a few in...so doubling is easy. If you want to remove, for example, the kick from the RD track rather than just doubling you will have to volume shape it out and that is tedious but for some tunes it's worth it.

Recently we produced a reggae song for which I used one of the reggae RD's but removed everything but the snare and ride by volume shaping them out. After this Janice played percussion (cajon) with what remained. I then went and doubled the snare. So I had the original stereo drum track, a stereo two mic track of her cajon and a third track with just the RD snare. Often I find that just doubling or replacing the kick and snare on separate tracks will give you a huge amount of control over the drums. All FWIW!

OK, to keep this post on topic smile we just listened again to your tune. It ROCKS!

Bud

Well cool.. didnt realize that was there.. Still would be a nice option to put something like that in the interface as a wav export option.. individual drum instruments tracks smile

But this may be a work around
Posted By: Paul bright Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/06/16 07:02 PM
also since it already seems to be there in the metadata.. PGMusic should be able to expose the individual drum tracks to the users using that and making an export option on the wave.. lol
Posted By: David Snyder Re: No Body's Stopping Me - 04/06/16 09:05 PM
Definitely an electro dance tune for sure!

smile
© PG Music Forums