PG Music Home
Alright my PG family . . .

I paid to have Athena's vocals recorded in a studio in Hawaii by Pierre Grill of Rendez-Vous Recording before entering it as songwriting contest submission.

This is the result of that recording and his mix of that recording. Let me know what you think . . .

You Are My LIFE

Blessings!
Sounds really professional and crystal clear - lovely vocal and harmonies.
Hello, Even If

Very good song. I love it.
I like both versions.
The previous version was very nice.
But this version is even better.
As Peter said, Sounds really professional and crystal clear - lovely vocal and harmonies.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.
Good luck with the Songwriting Contest.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Nice.

All the best wishes for a win in the contest.

This version is really well done. Everything is in it's proper place. No crispy vox.... Loved that cry in her vox at 2:30. The BGV are really good. Tight but they don't sound mechanically done.

To beat that in the contest, another song is going to have to be amazingly good.
Thanks PeterF!
Blessings!
Thanks Shigeki and thanks for the encouragement!
Blessings!
You are very kind Herb, thanks! smile
Blessings!
Sounds great to me!

This is a real departure from the hard-edged stuff you produce... but for the contest audience probably a much better selection

Best of luck to you in the contest!
Thanks Pat!

About half of my stuff is like this . . . they are just harder for singers to sing so I haven't posted as much because many of them are waiting for vocals grin

I was once told by a PhD I was studying under in college:

"Ballads are the true test. They expose every weakness in a player - timing, craft, ability, musicianship. There are many gaps in a ballad that produce silence. Weak players are exposed in these gaps because they are early, late, not properly muted, etc . . ."

In my experience, this is one of the truest statements I have ever heard in music. Ballads expose a lack of practice, a lack of understanding, a lack of timing, and weaknesses in the craft.

Hopefully, I can get some more of them recorded and share them on here . . . they are about all I have left to do before starting preproduction for the albums . . .

thanks for the encouragement! Blessings!
You have got to be happy with how this turned out! Great job! Good luck with the contest!

If I was nitpicking, and this 100% comes down to opinion, I feel the vocal level is slightly to loud for the mix. Not by much...and again, opinion. Others may not feel that way at all. I'm coming from a background of jingles where the vocal HAS to be more prominent than it would be in a typical song. This seems slightly mixed that way.

Also, realize, I would typically never say a critique unless someone was asking, and even then, I typically don't respond. Because this means so much to you, and it's for a contest, I thought I would give my 2 cents. Let others weight in, and take it for what it's worth. With good intentions smile

Great vocal, great sound, great song! Be proud. You are serving God well with your talents!
Wonderful job with the vocals -- performance, processing and mix.

Best of luck re the contest!

Nice....

J&B
I appreciate the critique HearToLearn!

As I try to stay humble, I am reminded that songs do not go out with explanations . . . you either achieved your goal or you did not. Once you send it out, it is no longer yours.

Thanks you for listening and being thoughtful enough to comments.

Blessings to you!
Thanks J&B! smile

blessings to the both of you!
Great production, great vocals. Kudos.
Hi Even,

great vocals and mix.
It's a pity I can't compare with the old version as it's gone.
Best wishes for the contest.

Guenter

Hello,
great song.
Very compliments to your singer that in this song remember me Emmylou Harris.

Sergio
Thanks David! Blessings!
Thanks Guenter! Blessings!
Thanks Sergio! Blessings!
beautiful song with top-notch vocals!
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Nice.

All the best wishes for a win in the contest.

This version is really well done. Everything is in it's proper place. No crispy vox.... Loved that cry in her vox at 2:30. The BGV are really good. Tight but they don't sound mechanically done.

To beat that in the contest, another song is going to have to be amazingly good.

Herb nailed it. This is great!! Everything about is excellent! Good luck in the contest! Take care. Greg
Great production. You certainly got your money's worth. Good luck.
SD
Thanks RnAM! Sorry it took me so long to respond, been out of town. Blessings!
Thanks Greg! Sorry it took me so long to respond, been out of town. Blessings!
Thanks Spacedog! Sorry it took me so long to respond, been out of town. Blessings!
© PG Music Forums