PG Music Home
Posted By: tommyad What's It Gonna Take - 06/12/16 02:10 PM
After floyd counted his songs that were posted here, I counted mine and found much to my surprise I had 89. So here is number 90.

https://soundcloud.com/tommyad/whats-it-gonna-take

http://tommyadamsmusic.com/music

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13395186

RealTracks in style: 366:Bass, Electric, Country Ev 065
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 1807:Synth Pad, PopModernGrooveHigh Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: ~~2503:Piano, Acoustic, HeldChords 085
RealTracks in style: 1856:Cello, Background PopCountry Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~2051:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryBrent Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~2200:Guitar, Nylon, Background CountryBrent Ev 085
Royalty Free Loops, Multitrack Instrument and Song Files and Multitrack Drums from Drums on Demand

Vocals, Acoustic Guitars additional Bass and Keyboards, Tom Adams

What’s It Gonna Take

You really messed up my Mind Frame

now I’m feeling kinda bent

playing some kind of endgame that no one’s ever gonna win

I know you're brokedown been hurt real bad

A kind of pain that never ends

The part of this that’s really sad is what might have been

What's it gonna to take to make you happy

When you talk to me you’re always looking down

What’s it gonna take to let somebody love you

Tell me now before you shut me out

When did you plan to tell me

Or was there ever any plan at all

No more quiet conversations

Or late night conscience calls

Tell me now before you shut me out

Tell me now before you shut me out Please don't shut me out

©2016 Thomas Adams
Posted By: rsdean Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/12/16 02:18 PM
Tom,

#90 is my new favorite from you - such a great song. The chorus is just great - perfect vocal as well. Excellent...

Bob
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/12/16 05:39 PM
Another great one. Only 10 away from 100 great ones. You and Floyd are truly encouraging with your contributions.

Liked the song, lyrics, mix, performance and production.
Posted By: PeterF Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/12/16 08:15 PM
Tom
Was listening and it got my wife's attention(some mean feat)and she said that's really good a cross between Cat Stevens & Jimmy Buffet ...
Anyway I really enjoyed that (as usual). Great song and performance.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/12/16 09:11 PM
Wow, Tom.. I really like everything about this! I'm afraid if I try to analyze why, it will pop the magic bubble, so in this case I'm just going to nod "yes" and say no more... I find it to be a really stirring song though, and it reinforces my respect for your song writing genius!
Posted By: MarioD Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/12/16 09:21 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Tom,

#90 is my new favorite from you - such a great song. The chorus is just great - perfect vocal as well. Excellent...

Bob

I agree 100%.

I will add that the lyrics are some of the best that you have written.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/12/16 09:43 PM
Tom,

This is really, really beautiful. Everything about it is outstanding; you name it, vocals, arrangement, mix, everything. I love the way that you build the arrangement. There's such a rich and warm texture to the overall mix that gives it a thoroughly professional sound. This could so easily be on radio/tv.

The lyric journey is mesmerising. Incredible. Right from the start, I was there inside the song reliving memories of yesterday. That doesn't often happen to me. There is nothing at all that sounds contrived in these lyrics. They are a credit to your ability as a songwriter and they resonate with sincerity and believability.

Truely... this is really, really beautiful.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: boehm Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/13/16 01:12 PM
Hi Tommy,

what a beautiful song! Everything fits.
And your vocals and harmonies are outstanding as
always. I like the drums and percussion.
Very enjoyable listens.

Guenter
Posted By: RnAM Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/13/16 05:10 PM
Tommy,

Whow!
This is simply beautiful. Indeed number 90 is your best we think.
As always great audio quality of the mix. As far as emotion and all-around harmony goes, this one kicks it up a couple of notches.
We have had some favorites of you before. But apparently you manage to keep on raising the bar!

Rob & Anne-Marie
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/13/16 06:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Wow, Tom.. I really like everything about this! I'm afraid if I try to analyze why, it will pop the magic bubble, so in this case I'm just going to nod "yes" and say no more... I find it to be a really stirring song though, and it reinforces my respect for your song writing genius!

I think Pat got it right. It is just hypnotic and beautiful!! The prosody is amazing-it's gorgeous music which has a little bit of an unsettled sound. The groove is great (RTs work perfectly) and your vocal is GREEEEAAAAAT!! AMAZING STUFF!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/13/16 07:33 PM
Beautiful, Tom. Again. (..and again, and again).

"mind frame/endgame" - nice.

Noel covered it all well - "Everything about it is outstanding; you name it, vocals, arrangement, mix, everything." The arrangement invites you in and then the words rip out your heart...

That cello is tucked in there nicely.

Your vocals just keep notching higher with every new song...

fj
Posted By: Atze Akkerman Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/13/16 08:19 PM
Thomas,

Wow great song. A lot of great things have been said already about your song that I agree about it. The Mix and master on your song really puts a nice polish to an already great mix. Really Pro all around.

Atze
Posted By: tommyad Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/14/16 08:58 AM
Tom,

Bob
Thanks Bob. Glad you liked it. Tom
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Another great one. Only 10 away from 100 great ones. You and Floyd are truly encouraging with your contributions.

Liked the song, lyrics, mix, performance and production.
Charlie, Thanks for the generous review. I appreciate your words. Tom
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/14/16 09:22 AM
Yep. Another nice tune.

Gordon Lightfoot vibes all over this.
Posted By: tommyad Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/14/16 01:20 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Tom
Was listening and it got my wife's attention(some mean feat)and she said that's really good a cross between Cat Stevens & Jimmy Buffet ...
Anyway I really enjoyed that (as usual). Great song and performance.
Peter, Tell your wife thanks. I wore out Tea For The Tillerman back in the day, so I guess that is an influence. I have also frequented a few of Buffet's haunts here in Florida. Is there such a thing as osmosis through alcohol? Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. Tom
Pat, I think I should just nod and say thanks, but I have to add that the only genius here in this house is my dog. And that's only if you're holding a treat! Thanks man, Tom
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/14/16 03:56 PM
Tom, everything that we like about your productions is shining in full force here.

1. The beautifully simple but never mundane lyric that says more in a few words than most could say with ten times as many.

2. Your voice --as floyd mentioned. It has become a strong instrument to the point that it's hard to imagine another interpretation of the lyric.

3. The production that so many can easily take for granted...until you try to do it. You crank these out while I continue to bang my head trying to figure out how you and a very few others do it. Yep, I've got many of the same tools but it takes a LOT more than that.

We'd rather listen again than go any further trying to analyze it.

High bar production!!!

J&B
Posted By: tommyad Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/14/16 06:41 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Tom,

Bob

I agree 100%.

I will add that the lyrics are some of the best that you have written.
Mario, Thanks for commenting about the lyrics. I spend some time trying to get them where I want them. It's amazingly how 1 or 2 little changes can make such a big difference. Tom
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Tom,

This is really, really beautiful. Everything about it is outstanding; you name it, vocals, arrangement, mix, everything. I love the way that you build the arrangement. There's such a rich and warm texture to the overall mix that gives it a thoroughly professional sound. This could so easily be on radio/tv.

The lyric journey is mesmerising. Incredible. Right from the start, I was there inside the song reliving memories of yesterday. That doesn't often happen to me. There is nothing at all that sounds contrived in these lyrics. They are a credit to your ability as a songwriter and they resonate with sincerity and believability.

Truely... this is really, really beautiful.

Regards,
Noel
Noel, You seem to always go the extra mile in your reviews. Your in depth comments are greatly respected by myself and many others. Thank you for making time to share your observations. Much appreciated. Tom
Posted By: 44kfl Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/14/16 10:19 PM
Great song, solid write. I love the economy and the preciseness in the writing, it's something I try to do. There's no waste here, no throw away lines, it all rings very true, it's an easy to see scene.
I think that we write alike in that we're talking about the same subjects a lot but from different persceptives (you can disagree if you want) Strong vocals, everything flows like a really good song should. I know those Drums On Demand drums sound clean and good but man I love the Nashville BIAB, use those, EQ that snare, make it pop a little louder and...just my preference

Kenny
Posted By: PaddyG Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/15/16 05:30 AM

Hi Tom,

Even through my ancient headphones the first few notes and I said ‘wow’ what a mix, clear crisp, you were ‘surrounded by the sound, and your vocal slap dang in the middle, telling the story in that style that fits you like a glove. To a newcomer you really are a source of inspiration.

Paddy G
Posted By: 90 dB Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/15/16 11:08 AM
"Beautiful, Tom. Again. (..and again, and again).

Noel covered it all well - "Everything about it is outstanding; you name it, vocals, arrangement, mix, everything." The arrangement invites you in and then the words rip out your heart...

fj"

What he said. In spades. Enjoyed this very much.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: David Snyder Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/15/16 01:56 PM
This is a gorgeous song and production man.

Beautiful lyrics.

Gave me goosebumps. Awesome.
Posted By: tommyad Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/16/16 02:46 PM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Tommy,

what a beautiful song! Everything fits.
And your vocals and harmonies are outstanding as
always. I like the drums and percussion.
Very enjoyable listens.

Guenter
Guenter, I'm glad you liked it! Tom
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Tommy,

Whow!
This is simply beautiful. Indeed number 90 is your best we think.
As always great audio quality of the mix. As far as emotion and all-around harmony goes, this one kicks it up a couple of notches.
We have had some favorites of you before. But apparently you manage to keep on raising the bar!

Rob & Anne-Marie
RnAM, Thanks for the nice comments. I appreciate that you always take the time to listen. Tom
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

I think Pat got it right. It is just hypnotic and beautiful!! The prosody is amazing-it's gorgeous music which has a little bit of an unsettled sound. The groove is great (RTs work perfectly) and your vocal is GREEEEAAAAAT!! AMAZING STUFF!! Take care. Greg
Greg, You hit the nail there. Unsettled sound. Thanks for pointing out your observation. Tom
Posted By: dani48 Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/16/16 03:26 PM
Hi, Tommy !:))

I do agree with the others,
this is without doubt one of
your best if not the best tune
you´ve posted ! I do congratulate
you on this beautiful 90 !:))

Keep them comin´! Soon we´ll
be celebrating your one hundred!:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: rayc Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/17/16 07:17 AM
Clever arrangement to support buut not bury the melody/voice/lyric.
The mix, in headphones at least, really surrounds and gently holds me.
Posted By: tommyad Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/17/16 01:38 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Beautiful, Tom. Again. (..and again, and again).

fj
floyd, Thanks for the great comments. That cello works well in a lot different songs. It's a bit of challenge not to use in every one. Tom
Originally Posted By: Atze Akkerman
Thomas,

Wow great song. A lot of great things have been said already about your song that I agree about it. The Mix and master on your song really puts a nice polish to an already great mix. Really Pro all around.

Atze
Thanks Atze, I have learned a great deal about mixing and mastering by hanging out on this website. It's a great resource for learning engineering. Tom
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Yep. Another nice tune.

Gordon Lightfoot vibes all over this.

Hey Herb, I never thought of G Lightfoot, but I can see now where you hear that. Thanks for checking in. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/18/16 09:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Tom, everything that we like about your productions is shining in full force here.

1. The beautifully simple but never mundane lyric that says more in a few words than most could say with ten times as many.

2. Your voice --as floyd mentioned. It has become a strong instrument to the point that it's hard to imagine another interpretation of the lyric.

3. The production that so many can easily take for granted...until you try to do it. You crank these out while I continue to bang my head trying to figure out how you and a very few others do it. Yep, I've got many of the same tools but it takes a LOT more than that.

We'd rather listen again than go any further trying to analyze it.

High bar production!!!

J&B

This is certainly a great review. Thanks for taking the time to say such nice things. Tom
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Great song, solid write. I love the economy and the preciseness in the writing, it's something I try to do. There's no waste here, no throw away lines, it all rings very true, it's an easy to see scene.
I think that we write alike in that we're talking about the same subjects a lot but from different persceptives (you can disagree if you want) Strong vocals, everything flows like a really good song should. I know those Drums On Demand drums sound clean and good but man I love the Nashville BIAB, use those, EQ that snare, make it pop a little louder and...just my preference

Kenny
I too love those Nashville drums. However in this case they just didn't work. Thanks for all the nice comments. Tom
Posted By: David Snyder Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/18/16 10:06 PM
Tommy, where's 91??
Posted By: tommyad Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/19/16 09:41 AM
Originally Posted By: PaddyG

Hi Tom,

Even through my ancient headphones the first few notes and I said ‘wow’ what a mix, clear crisp, you were ‘surrounded by the sound, and your vocal slap dang in the middle, telling the story in that style that fits you like a glove. To a newcomer you really are a source of inspiration.

Paddy G
Hi Paddy, Thanks for saying all those nice things. Tom
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
"Beautiful, Tom. Again. (..and again, and again).

fj"

What he said. In spades. Enjoyed this very much.

Regards,

Bob
Hey there Bob, Glad you liked it. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/20/16 12:18 AM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
This is a gorgeous song and production man.

Beautiful lyrics.

Gave me goosebumps. Awesome.
Thanks David, I appreciate it. Tom
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Tommy !:))

I do agree with the others,
this is without doubt one of
your best if not the best tune
you´ve posted ! I do congratulate
you on this beautiful 90 !:))

Keep them comin´! Soon we´ll
be celebrating your one hundred!:))

Cheers
Dani

Dani, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Tom
Originally Posted By: rayc
Clever arrangement to support buut not bury the melody/voice/lyric.
The mix, in headphones at least, really surrounds and gently holds me.
Ray, thanks so much for taking the time to listen and comment. Tom
Posted By: Skyline Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/21/16 10:54 AM
Superb work Tommy. A smashing song with beautiful lyrics, sincerely delivered. Structure, mix and engineering, all top drawer as well. Thanks for bringing another excellent piece to us.

John
Posted By: tommyad Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/21/16 12:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Skyline
Superb work Tommy. A smashing song with beautiful lyrics, sincerely delivered. Structure, mix and engineering, all top drawer as well. Thanks for bringing another excellent piece to us.

John
Thanks John. Good to see you around. Tom
Posted By: Scott C Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/23/16 08:29 AM
Very cool tune Tommy
Posted By: tommyad Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/23/16 11:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Very cool tune Tommy
Thanks Scott, good to see you back. Tom
Posted By: gruverider Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/25/16 08:39 PM
Once again a great song, arrangement, performance, and mix.

Beautiful!
Posted By: tommyad Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/26/16 09:13 AM
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Once again a great song, arrangement, performance, and mix.

Beautiful!
Lawrence, Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate it. Tom
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: What's It Gonna Take - 06/26/16 02:06 PM
hi tommeyad wow this has top notch production perfect mix and your voice perfect all good everything thanks eric
© PG Music Forums