PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/02/16 12:20 PM
Hey, J! C'mere!!!
Let's notch another genre in that musical belt of yours.
Big...Anthem...Get yer Martina on!..
Ready?

FORGED BY FIRE

lashing out ...we fight
making love... we set things right
the passion we share is a double-edged sword
it tears us apart and binds us for evermore

forged by fire
   hearts welded together
   by desire... beyond our control
   it's sometimes hotter.. than we can handle
   tempers flare... our touch grows cold
   but we hold on... through thick or thin
   our love survives... and in the end
   it's stronger than steel or stone
   forged by fire

it's sometime wild... it's sometimes war
it's surely love... but it's something more
in each others' arms... sharing one soul
when feelings this deep get ignited
they light our way or they explode

forged by fire
   hearts welded together
   forged by fire

fire and ice...a double-edged sword
passion tears us apart and binds us for evermore

forged by fire
   hearts welded together
   forged by fire
   forged by fire
   forged by fire

The BAND:
RealTracks in style: 995:Bass, Electric, HardRockLA Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 852:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm NashvillePopClean Ev 120 (B:arp)
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2108:Piano, Rhythm PopUpliftPulsing Ev16 120
RealTracks in song: 1850:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopShiningGrittyMuted Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1167:Guitar, Electric, Soloist RockBalladBrent Ev 065
RealDrums in Song: BluesRockEv^1-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Open HiHat
plus...
Guitar loop from Studio One library
"Big guitar chords" created from RockMediumBrent soloist.
Janice's vocal was used as recorded and processed by Bud.

Mrs. Merritt - thanks for joining me on this! You're the best!
Mr. Merritt - thanks for recording Mrs. Merritt!

Hope you like it. Comments encouraged.
Make it big. Play it loud.
Have at it.

floyd
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/02/16 12:31 PM
floyd and Janice,

What an incredibly rich and vibrant sound! I don't know how you do it but I have no idea how any production could get better than this.... all I could think as I was listening... was.... "This is so-o-o-o-o-o good!"

I'm in awe.

Regards to you both,
Noel

P.S. I was in a hurry to secure top reply position in the thread. It's such a rare event these days. I'll be back later to work my way through understanding this song a bit more thoroughly. What a great musical creation!
Posted By: dani48 Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/02/16 01:07 PM
Hi, Floyd & Janice !

I too am completely at awe
by this ! It is just incredible,
and the way you sing the duet
so tight thru tempo changes !! ugh !

This must be the best so far !!:))
And certainly my FJfav from now on !

Take care !

Dani
Posted By: Skyline Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/02/16 01:38 PM
Well done you two, this is a corker!
Not only a strong song, but superbly executed with passion, so it hits the 'shiver button'. Great stuff.

John
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/02/16 02:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
floyd and Janice,

What an incredibly rich and vibrant sound! I don't know how you do it but I have no idea how any production could get better than this.... all I could think as I was listening... was.... "This is so-o-o-o-o-o good!"

I'm in awe.

Regards to you both,
Noel

P.S. I was in a hurry to secure top reply position in the thread. It's such a rare event these days. I'll be back later to work my way through understanding this song a bit more thoroughly. What a great musical creation!

Thank you Noel. This was waaaaay out of Janice's blues comfort zone but she was game! I'm sure she will be commenting soon.

Bud
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/02/16 04:02 PM
WOW!!! That just plain works! From the first guitar lick (I'm guessing that's the loop-sounds custom for the song), the music and lyrics combine for an exciting, electric, musical journey. The Hornsby style piano is a perfect fit. AND, of course, the vocals/mix are superb. Kudos to all!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: tommyad Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/02/16 05:32 PM
This one is so good. Love the opening , the title, the lyrics that explain the title , the choice of instruments with nothing getting in the way of one another, the mix, the drum sound, and of course both voices. Janice can sure sing lead but she also has a natural gift for harmony. This one almost sounds like a second melody. We've all heard this phenomenon before with some of the great harmonizing groups. I suspect that the harmony was particularly challenging due to the stop and go phrasing. An excellent listen. floyd, you're like a river of great songs. It just keeps flowing. Great one. Tom
Posted By: Atze Akkerman Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/02/16 07:07 PM
Wow,

Awesome recording and song! Forged by Fire evokes a powerful uplifting anthem feel that I don’t hear often enough celebrating a love connection that grows overcoming difficulties together. Your lyrical metaphors, melody and harmony blend together really well to support the song’s hook/title. Thanks for sharing.

Atze
Posted By: RnAM Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/02/16 07:09 PM
Really, really cool!
We love the heavy guitars coming in in the chorus.
Very professional use of the RTs Floyd. We know that for you it's something like driving without touching the wheel laugh.
We love the vocal harmony, especially on the choruses.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/02/16 09:26 PM
Floyd & Janice
Just a thoroughly professional song, sound and performance.
Everything about the song is top quality. A great listen.
Both the vocalists are stunning.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/03/16 09:16 AM
Floyd / Janice,

Radio ready! This is just great - loved the song and the performances.

Bob
Posted By: boehm Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/03/16 10:45 AM
Hi Floyd,
Originally Posted By: tommyad
This one is so good. Love the opening , the title, the lyrics that explain the title , the choice of instruments with nothing getting in the way of one another, the mix, the drum sound, and of course both voices. Janice can sure sing lead but she also has a natural gift for harmony. This one almost sounds like a second melody. We've all heard this phenomenon before with some of the great harmonizing groups. I suspect that the harmony was particularly challenging due to the stop and go phrasing. An excellent listen. floyd, you're like a river of great songs. It just keeps flowing. Great one.

Tommy can express my thoughts better than I. So I just quote. I'm impressed. Brent's ballad lead is so versatile. It sounds like made for this song.
This one is a winner again.

Guenter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/03/16 04:08 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd & Janice !

Take care !

Dani

Thank you Dani. I am delighted that you like the duet. We
certainly love your harmonies.

Janice
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/03/16 05:25 PM

Hey I really like this. It reminds me of Bob Seger, musically and lyrically. Great backing vocals Janice.

The write and performance are incredibly strong, but I think the treble is a little too high on this particular track, don't know why. Most of your other tracks have a very rich sound and a wide dynamic range. I am not sure if this was overcompressed or what, but the high end really sticks out.

I love the song though. Wonderful write as always.
Posted By: ROG Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/03/16 07:35 PM
Hi Floyd.

I do like songs with a big sound and this is REALLY big. I took your advice and wound it up nice and loud on the big Tannoys - absolutely fantastic.

I like everything about this track and having Janice in there is the icing on the cake.

Good to see you doing some stadium rock - it suits you!

ROG.

PS. Nice to see a solo included!
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/03/16 08:40 PM
Way too Awesome to only be on a forum, this is Big Radio (is that a thang anymore) Music! WOW!Yall Can Sang, and Write!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/03/16 09:50 PM
Another awesome collaboration. Super vocal and harmonies. Loved the guitar as well.
Posted By: rayc Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/03/16 10:55 PM
You've achieved your aim.
I did note that the male vocal is a little subordinated by the female - the female cuts through the mix more. The male voice, a little smokier and rounded, sits back just a little. Maybe a little EQ, a slightly wider panning or, shock horror but useful to cut through a mix, a touch of BBE sonic maximiser?
fabulous stuff regardless of my quibbling.
Posted By: PaddyG Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/04/16 05:24 AM

Tense, tight, word perfect, with a storyline as true and as
old as love itself. Sung to a ‘great rock beat, ‘what a formula
A 'Top drawer' one Floyd, it thoroughly deserves all the accolades it is, and will still receive.

Paddy G
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/04/16 09:09 AM
fj & Ms. Janice,

Another example of excellence. Enjoyed his one a lot!

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: gruverider Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/04/16 05:13 PM
Wow, sweet in your face thumping bass drum! Super fine production and vocal performances!

A big Bic-lit bravo!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/04/16 06:26 PM
Another radio ready hit... superb work Floyd.

The vocal collaboration is as strong as ever.

This is one of those songs I need to have playing loud when my wife lets me borrow her convertible... Song forged by fire and road scorched by tire!!! OOh.... is that a blue light flashing in my rear view??

Excellent on every level.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/05/16 09:46 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
floyd and Janice,

I'm in awe.

Regards to you both,
Noel

Hi, Noel! Man! the forum really exploded this weekend, didn't it?! Appreciate you dropping by.... I need to go have a few more listens to your new song... It is super - I'll get there again, soon....
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/05/16 03:12 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd & Janice !

Take care !

Dani

Thanks, again, Dani... you are most kind...

Originally Posted By: Skyline
Not only a strong song, but superbly executed with passion, so it hits the 'shiver button'. Great stuff.

John

Thanks, John... doesn't get better than a "shiver button"... smile
Posted By: MarioD Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/05/16 09:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Tommyc
Way too Awesome to only be on a forum, this is Big Radio (is that a thang anymore) Music! WOW!Yall Can Sang, and Write!

I couldn't say this any better.

This is a keeper for sure!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/05/16 10:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Skyline

John

Thank you John. floyd offered me a great song and a challenge to sing on. I'm so glad you like it.

Janice
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/06/16 10:11 AM
Floyd and Janice, Wow! Powerful. Very powerful

What a sensational 'fired-up' delivery

A great team collaboration, with a sensational set of lyrics, and powerful (there's that word again) backing.

Great material.

Thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyable.

Yes, I played it loud, too!

Trev
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/06/16 12:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
WOW!!! That just plain works! From the first guitar lick (I'm guessing that's the loop-sounds custom for the song), the music and lyrics combine for an exciting, electric, musical journey. The Hornsby style piano is a perfect fit. AND, of course, the vocals/mix are superb. Kudos to all!!! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg! We appreciate that! - yeah, that opener is the loop - it actually worked throughout the song, with just a tiny bit of tweaking in a spot or two...
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/06/16 06:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Thank you Greg. floyd really created an amazing production.

Janice
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/07/16 12:34 PM
This one is so good. Love the opening , the title, the lyrics that explain the title , the choice of instruments with nothing getting in the way of one another, the mix, the drum sound, and of course both voices. Janice can sure sing lead but she also has a natural gift for harmony. This one almost sounds like a second melody. We've all heard this phenomenon before with some of the great harmonizing groups. I suspect that the harmony was particularly challenging due to the stop and go phrasing. An excellent listen. floyd, you're like a river of great songs. It just keeps flowing. Great one. Tom

Tom - thanks for such a wonderful review.. I'm pleased about the "second melody" perception...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/07/16 12:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Atze Akkerman
Wow,

Awesome recording and song! Forged by Fire evokes a powerful uplifting anthem feel that I don’t hear often enough celebrating a love connection that grows overcoming difficulties together. Your lyrical metaphors, melody and harmony blend together really well to support the song’s hook/title. Thanks for sharing.

Atze

Atze - thanks for stooping in for a listen and comment... appreciate that...

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Really, really cool!
Very professional use of the RTs Floyd. We know that for you it's something like driving without touching the wheel laugh.

Thanks, y'all - I enjoyed that review... smile
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/07/16 06:57 PM

Hi Floyd & Janet,

another super song. Great sound and excellent duo.
Very pleasant.

Sergio
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/08/16 12:30 PM

Tom, I appreciate you saying that about the vocals. floyd told me it was "Matrina time" when he invited me to sing harmony on it. Hahaha, no Matrina here but it was fun and thank you for your very kind comments!

Janice
Posted By: Sundance Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/08/16 02:03 PM
What a BIG sound! Love the song FJ!

Great vox by you both!

I agree with rayc on the vocal mix. (I noticed it before reading his comment.) Not a big deal - this is a sensational production!

One of my fav duets by you two!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/08/16 04:48 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Floyd & Janice

We really appreciate that, Peter...

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd / Janice,

Bob

Thanks, Bob. (always love to hear that!)
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/09/16 08:57 AM
Originally Posted By: Atze Akkerman
Wow,

Atze

Thanks! I love your description of the uplifting feel of the song.

Janice
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/09/16 05:14 PM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Floyd,
This one is so good. Love the opening , the title, the lyrics that explain the title , the choice of instruments with nothing getting in the way of one another, the mix, the drum sound, and of course both voices. Janice can sure sing lead but she also has a natural gift for harmony. This one almost sounds like a second melody. We've all heard this phenomenon before with some of the great harmonizing groups. I suspect that the harmony was particularly challenging due to the stop and go phrasing. An excellent listen. floyd, you're like a river of great songs. It just keeps flowing. Great one.

Tommy can express my thoughts better than I. So I just quote. I'm impressed. Brent's ballad lead is so versatile. It sounds like made for this song.

Guenter

Thanks, Guenter. I agree - that Brent solo RT is one of the most versatile solo tracks available... It has a lot of variation if you keep re-gen-ing...

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Hey I really like this. It reminds me of Bob Seger, musically and lyrically. Great backing vocals Janice.

The write and performance are incredibly strong, but I think the treble is a little too high on this particular track, don't know why. Most of your other tracks have a very rich sound and a wide dynamic range. I am not sure if this was overcompressed or what, but the high end really sticks out.

Thanks, David. I've listened several times with your thoughts in mind... I don't "hear it"... (the "too much treble thing"). Maybe I'm getting old (actually, no maybe about it..aren't we all?). I would expect that others would mention it. When I listen to it along side other mixes (mine and artists that I listen to), I don't get a sense that it is particularly "trebly". Might be the combination of jangly guitars and crisp piano (both intentional).... I appreciate you bringing it up...

Posted By: David Snyder Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/10/16 10:51 AM
Hey Floyd,

I listened to it again last night (I have listened to it about 5 times actually) and I didn't hear it as much, it sounded about right.

Not quite sure why. It could have been my ears were fried the first time from a long day of listening and recording, or that I got a "bad stream" but you are not streaming so that doesn't make sense. Anyway,maybe my mind was playing tricks one me.

I can say that from listening to your catalog as a whole, I have always been impressed by the rich acoustic balance, the sound separation, and the dynamic range, as I said before. You can actually hear each instrument occupying a distinct spot in the mix, and that is quite astonishing these days and times. So maybe I had some "ghost reference" in my head the first time I heard it. Dunno.

Anyway, I am a big fan, so I will continue to look for feedback that might be helpful in the mix of your forthcoming songs, since the songwriting ability is unquestionable. As an FYI, I keep a log of your comments and others on the forum for all of my songs and use them whenever I remix stuff before I ever do any final versions. I find them to be invaluable that way. Like having a whole team of engineers in your room. :

Well, take care, and again, great song!!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/10/16 04:33 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Really, really cool!

Hi y'all, thank you for mentioning the harmony. It was fun!

Janice
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/10/16 05:42 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd.

I do like songs with a big sound and this is REALLY big. I took your advice and wound it up nice and loud on the big Tannoys - absolutely fantastic.

I like everything about this track and having Janice in there is the icing on the cake.

ROG.

Always pleased to hear that they work for you, ROG. Thanks for the spin...

Well, Tommy... what a nice thang to say!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Another awesome collaboration. Super vocal and harmonies. Loved the guitar as well.

Thanks, Scott...we appreciate that..
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/10/16 09:34 PM
Hey!
Wonderful job by all, strong vocals, all the instruments sound great. Beautiful write, beautiful harmonies.

Kenny
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/11/16 01:11 AM
Wow, floyd and Janis! That was HOT in more ways than one! It was even MIXED hot! I was listening with cans and the opening just about blew my brains out!

I'm curious to know if you already have the harmony line defined when you turn it over to Janice, or if she has creative control over what to sing. Either way, that synergy between and tightness of the two voices was very noticeable in this song. As tommy said, the timing was tricky... I couldn't anticipate when the notes would begin, even with the words righty on front of me... my Janice was right there and rock solid, never missing a cue. Like any band that performs together for long, y'all have been doing this long enough now that you have a groove going. Very cool advantage to have!

I liked the loud live sound to this, which is summarized in the sustained guitar note at the end of the song. In fact I want to hear this in a coliseum!

The lyrical metaphor is developed very skillfully here.. I liked the way you selected words that have meaning in both the forging sense and the relationship sense. Have you ever been in a forge shop? My last job was related to forging, and it is sensory-stunning to stand in the same building when the forge hammers are hitting. Much like falling in and out of love, I suspect.

If I had to describe this song in two words, they would be "AWE" and "INSPIRING" (in that order)
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/11/16 08:59 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
I did note that the male vocal is a little subordinated by the female - the female cuts through the mix more. The male voice, a little smokier and rounded, sits back just a little. Maybe a little EQ, a slightly wider panning or, shock horror but useful to cut through a mix, a touch of BBE sonic maximiser?

Hi, Ray. I can hear that - at times. It sort of "comes and goes" for me - and it depends on where my mind/hearing is focused at the time. This was intended to be a true duet sound - equal weight to the lead and the harmony to the point of having them intermingle to some degree and virtually trade off which is actually the lead (subconsciously). That vocal mix is one of the hardest things to achieve (I think) - especially when one of the vocals is your own and the other has such an incredible "personality" as does Janice. Having someone else mix might achieve that balance better (but hard to give up that control). I will visit this again down the road to see where it might land. Thanks for your input - your descriptions resonate for me...

Originally Posted By: PaddyG

A 'Top drawer' one Floyd, it thoroughly deserves all the accolades it is, and will still receive.

Paddy G

Thanks, Paddy...

Originally Posted By: 90 dB
fj & Ms. Janice,

Regards,

Bob

We thank you, Bob....
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/11/16 08:38 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Floyd & Janice

Thank you Peter. I very much appreciate you writing that.

Janice

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd / Janice,

Bob

Thanks Bob!

Janice
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/11/16 09:54 PM
Floyd and Janice,
What a combination. Outstanding song. Well done.
SD
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/12/16 02:55 PM
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Wow, sweet in your face thumping bass drum! Super fine production and vocal performances!

A big Bic-lit bravo!

Thanks, Lawrence. We always appreciate when the lighters come out! smile

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

This is one of those songs I need to have playing loud when my wife lets me borrow her convertible... Song forged by fire and road scorched by tire!!! OOh.... is that a blue light flashing in my rear view??

Charlie - always interested to see what you have to say about a song... forged by fire/scorched by tire - HA! good one...sounds like a song! Thanks for the nice review....

Originally Posted By: MarioD

Appreciate that, Mario...
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/12/16 10:27 PM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Floyd,

Guenter

Thanks guys!

Janice
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/13/16 02:58 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

A great team collaboration, with a sensational set of lyrics, and powerful (there's that word again) backing.

Great material.

Trev

Thanks, Trevor. We appreciate that... Always enjoy reading your reviews...

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Hi Floyd & Janet,

Very pleasant.

Sergio

Thanks, Sergio...

Originally Posted By: Sundance

Great vox by you both!

I agree with rayc on the vocal mix. (I noticed it before reading his comment.) Not a big deal - this is a sensational production!

Glad to have you stop by for a listen, Josie. You don't come around enough these days - got a new song coming???? (See my response to Ray about the vocal mix)...

Hey Floyd,

I listened to it again last night (I have listened to it about 5 times actually) and I didn't hear it as much, it sounded about right.

Not quite sure why. It could have been my ears were fried the first time from a long day of listening and recording, or that I got a "bad stream" but you are not streaming so that doesn't make sense. Anyway,maybe my mind was playing tricks one me.

I can say that from listening to your catalog as a whole, I have always been impressed by the rich acoustic balance, the sound separation, and the dynamic range, as I said before. You can actually hear each instrument occupying a distinct spot in the mix, and that is quite astonishing these days and times. So maybe I had some "ghost reference" in my head the first time I heard it. Dunno.

Anyway, I am a big fan, so I will continue to look for feedback that might be helpful in the mix of your forthcoming songs, since the songwriting ability is unquestionable. As an FYI, I keep a log of your comments and others on the forum for all of my songs and use them whenever I remix stuff before I ever do any final versions. I find them to be invaluable that way. Like having a whole team of engineers in your room. :

Well, take care, and again, great song!!

Thanks, again, David.... always open to any thoughts about any aspect of these... it is a great community...
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/13/16 09:04 PM
Floyd, see p.m.'s. Doh!!!

Sorry man.

Instructions included for next level elevation.

Ground Control to Major David.

Hello????? Major David? Anyone there???
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/14/16 06:33 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd.

ROG.

Thanks Rog! It was a fun cake to ice smile Now I've participated in two songs with the REALLY big sound!

Janice
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/15/16 11:29 AM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Hey!
Wonderful job by all, strong vocals, all the instruments sound great. Beautiful write, beautiful harmonies.

Kenny

Thanks, Kenny. Always pleased to see you around here... and always looking forward to your next one...

Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Wow, floyd and Janis! That was HOT in more ways than one! It was even MIXED hot! I was listening with cans and the opening just about blew my brains out!

I'm curious to know if you already have the harmony line defined when you turn it over to Janice, or if she has creative control over what to sing. Either way, that synergy between and tightness of the two voices was very noticeable in this song. As tommy said, the timing was tricky... I couldn't anticipate when the notes would begin, even with the words righty on front of me... my Janice was right there and rock solid, never missing a cue. Like any band that performs together for long, y'all have been doing this long enough now that you have a groove going. Very cool advantage to have!

I liked the loud live sound to this, which is summarized in the sustained guitar note at the end of the song. In fact I want to hear this in a coliseum!

The lyrical metaphor is developed very skillfully here.. I liked the way you selected words that have meaning in both the forging sense and the relationship sense. Have you ever been in a forge shop? My last job was related to forging, and it is sensory-stunning to stand in the same building when the forge hammers are hitting. Much like falling in and out of love, I suspect.

If I had to describe this song in two words, they would be "AWE" and "INSPIRING" (in that order)

Pat - your reviews are always a pleasure to read... I think the loud thing happens because there is no processing of the files when I upload them to my own site (like there would be on Soundcloud or other music sites).

Most often, I simply send a song to Janice with these instructions: "Do your thing, girl." She doesn't need any more than that.

I appreciate that you appreciate what goes into the lyric.

Looking forward to your next project...

Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Floyd and Janice,
What a combination. Outstanding song. Well done.
SD

Thanks, SD
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/15/16 11:29 AM
Janice.

Thank You.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/17/16 11:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Scottt709

Thanks y'all!!!

Janice

Originally Posted By: rayc

Thanks for listening and commenting. Glad you liked it!

Janice

Originally Posted By: PaddyG

Paddy G

Thanks. I was thrilled to be asked to sing on this project!

Janice
Posted By: Trygve Larsen Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/17/16 10:50 PM
I'm very impressed by the quality of this song ! Everything was just incredible....
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Forged By Fire (w/ Janice) - 07/19/16 02:53 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
fj & Ms. Janice,

Regards,

Bob

Originally Posted By: gruverider

A big Bic-lit bravo!

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

Originally Posted By: MarioD

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Great material.

Trev
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Hi Floyd & Janet,

Very pleasant.

Sergio
Originally Posted By: Sundance

Great vox by you both!

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Hey!

Kenny

Originally Posted By: Trygve Larsen
I'm very impressed by the quality of this song ! Everything was just incredible....

Wow! I'm overwhelmed. You folks are the best. Thank you so much!!

Janice
© PG Music Forums