PG Music Home
Posted By: tommyad Little Voices - 07/03/16 02:23 PM
This song is the story of a love/hate relationship that went on for over fifteen years. They were both very good friends of mine and no one can say they didn’t try, but in the end they couldn’t make it work. I have lost contact over the years, but I sure hope they found some happiness in their lives. Everyone deserves some of that.

https://soundcloud.com/tommyad/tom-adams-little-voices

http://tommyadamsmusic.com/music

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13408576

RealTracks in style: ~388:Bass, Electric, Metal Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 629:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopAmericanDirty Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 632:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopAmericanMuted Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~405:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 120
Royalty Free Loops, Multitrack Instrument and Song Files and Multitrack Drums from Drums on Demand

Vocals, Electric Guitars, Tom Adams

Little Voices

That first cool breath of winter feels like something's off this year

Could it be a warning sign or just the fact I came back here

Maybe this was a bad idea to try this one more time

A normal man would have walked away saying we can't make this right

I've been praying for a week now and it's gettin hard to see

If I can count on your forgiveness for the man I used to be

Guess it's just the ugly truth you can't out run the past

I hear those little voices saying we will never last

Times were tough and all that stuff in the baggage weighed me down

There ain’t no way on God’s green earth we can stay here in this town

Everybody looks at us They know the places that we’ve been

I hear the passing whispers saying here they go again

I've been praying for a week now and it's gettin hard to see

If I can count on your forgiveness for the man I used to be

Guess it's just the ugly truth you can't out run the past

I hear those little voices saying we will never last

©2015 Thomas Adams
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Little Voices - 07/03/16 03:20 PM
INCREDIBLE!!! That guitar groove just sets it up from the first moment, and it never comes down! The energy just carries it along. Great chorus-really pays off. Guitar/Vocals/Mix all over the top. Great one Tom!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: dani48 Re: Little Voices - 07/03/16 03:20 PM

Hi, Tom !

This must be one of your absolute
best and it definitely is my new Tommyfav
from now on ! I am at awe at your
professional handling of the el guitar
and naturally I love your voice and
harmonies too !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: PeterF Re: Little Voices - 07/03/16 05:23 PM
Tom
Brilliant write!
I'm a fan.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Little Voices - 07/03/16 06:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
INCREDIBLE!!! That guitar groove just sets it up from the first moment, and it never comes down! The energy just carries it along. Great chorus-really pays off. Guitar/Vocals/Mix all over the top. Great one Tom!! Take care. Greg
Greg, thanks for the nice review and you continued very strong support and encouragement. I appreciate it. Tom
Posted By: ROG Re: Little Voices - 07/03/16 07:19 PM
Hi Tom.

A superb track with a wonderful driving guitar sound and spot-on vocals.

A great mix mix with excellent stereo effects and loud without sounding over-compressed.

Got to be one of your best yet.

ROG.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Little Voices - 07/03/16 07:23 PM
Tom,

This is simply outstanding... Instrumentation, lyrics and vocals - all off the charts! Loved it - a new favorite.

Bob
Posted By: Scott C Re: Little Voices - 07/03/16 09:47 PM
Awesome tune Tom. Excellent vocal and lyric. Loved the guitar work...
Posted By: PaddyG Re: Little Voices - 07/04/16 05:59 AM

Tommy,

INCREDIBLE!!! That guitar groove just sets it up from the first moment, and it never comes down! The energy just carries it along. Great chorus-really pays off. Guitar/Vocals/Mix all over the top. ( Greg Johnson )

Greg beat me to it,, all I wanted to say, but he says it so eloquently and spot on.

You can be very proud of this one.

Paddy G
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Little Voices - 07/04/16 09:12 AM
Another fine song Tommy! Love the guitars. Enjoyed it.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: boehm Re: Little Voices - 07/04/16 10:51 AM
Hi Tommy,

top notch again. Good write, self-evidently great vocals and harmonies and great playing.
Can't say it's my favourite because they are all outstanding.

Guenter
Posted By: tommyad Re: Little Voices - 07/04/16 12:00 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48

Hi, Tom !

This must be one of your absolute
best and it definitely is my new Tommyfav
from now on ! I am at awe at your
professional handling of the el guitar
and naturally I love your voice and
harmonies too !

Cheers
Dani
Dani, Thanks much. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Little Voices - 07/04/16 12:01 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Tom
Brilliant write!
I'm a fan.
Peter, Glad you liked it. Thanks for checking in. Tom
Posted By: gruverider Re: Little Voices - 07/04/16 05:22 PM
Love the guitar hook! Great song! Production and Vocals are spot on too!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Little Voices - 07/04/16 06:07 PM
Top notch at every level. The harmonies shine on this one.

"D--- it sure is hot" here on the forum, cause you've done turned up the heat... !

Enjoyed this one from start to finish.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Little Voices - 07/05/16 09:59 PM
Tommy this is probably your best to date. Everything about this is pro all the way. Of course I have always been in envy of your guitar chops, your vocals and writing abilities and on this one you took them all over the top!

This is a keeper.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Little Voices - 07/06/16 09:25 AM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Tom.

A superb track with a wonderful driving guitar sound and spot-on vocals.

A great mix mix with excellent stereo effects and loud without sounding over-compressed.

Got to be one of your best yet.

ROG.
Thanks ROG, it took a while to get the mix where I wanted it. Glad you noticed. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Little Voices - 07/06/16 09:26 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Tom,

This is simply outstanding... Instrumentation, lyrics and vocals - all off the charts! Loved it - a new favorite.

Bob
Bob, Glad you liked it. Thanks! Tom
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Little Voices - 07/06/16 09:35 AM
Man... who hasn't lived that song at least a couple of times?

I like everything about this.

Great perspective on a common issue everyone has been through. Loved those guitars since that really took this to a different level. Just the right level of verb to make them sound liquid. Sweet solo and fills.

Nice lyric writing and superb vocal work. Harmonies are great and at the correct levels.

Very satisfying song to listen to.

My only nits... the opening drums were a bit wimpy. And.... yeah, I know you were pushing the 4 minute mark... BUT....I would have busted that 4 minute point wide open..... it really needed one more instrumental tag with a slowdown (rit) to that last chord.... but hey.... just nits and personal opinions.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Little Voices - 07/06/16 03:56 PM
Tom,

Another winner.

Nice opening guitar lick. Nice, tasty little licks throughout. Great tone.

A good write. A whole bunch of good phrases, giving "good moments" over and over.
A good "singing" melody. Strong chorus.

Strong vocal. Strong mix.

An excellent listen (bunch of 'em...). Infectious. "Pop-y"...cool.

floyd
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Little Voices - 07/06/16 04:39 PM
Hi Tommy
Superb!!
Great lyrics and on the money singing. But as I am primarily a solo guitarist I am in AWE of the fantastic guitar sound you have.
Can you offer your "chain" so I can try and get to something close?
Cheers
ian
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Little Voices - 07/06/16 05:50 PM
Powerful Tom. Great mix. Love that Tele big time. Awesome sound. You killed it.
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Little Voices - 07/06/16 06:55 PM

Hi Tom

great song with a lot of power in it.
Super guitar and super country vocal

Sergio
Posted By: RnAM Re: Little Voices - 07/06/16 08:33 PM
Tommy,

This one definitely shines and is 100% Pro!
Beautiful guitar work!

Rob
Posted By: tommyad Re: Little Voices - 07/07/16 01:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Awesome tune Tom. Excellent vocal and lyric. Loved the guitar work...
Scott, Glad to see you around. Thanks for the kind words. Tom
Originally Posted By: PaddyG

Tommy,

INCREDIBLE!!! That guitar groove just sets it up from the first moment, and it never comes down! The energy just carries it along. Great chorus-really pays off. Guitar/Vocals/Mix all over the top. ( Greg Johnson )

Greg beat me to it,, all I wanted to say, but he says it so eloquently and spot on.

You can be very proud of this one.

Paddy G

Paddy, Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment. Tom
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Another fine song Tommy! Love the guitars. Enjoyed it.

Regards,

Bob
Bob, Glad you liked it! Tom
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Little Voices - 07/07/16 04:34 PM
"...but I sure hope they found some happiness in their lives. Everyone deserves some of that. "

Amen!

We could've heard the intro on a drive-in speaker across the parking lot and would've known
who it was. Man, you really do have a signature sound. Not repetitive but signature in the best
sense of the word.

"That first cool breath of winter feels like something's off this year
Could it be a warning sign or just the fact I came back here"

What a set up...you know it's gonna be great write after hearing the first two lines.

Others have beat us to it....the lyric, the melody, the vocals, the guitars and the production
are nailed. Anybody wanting to pic nits here has a long, long row to hoe.

And all of it is captured in a production that let's all the elements "shine when it's time!"

Outstanding.

J&B
Posted By: tommyad Re: Little Voices - 07/08/16 09:14 AM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Tommy,

top notch again. Good write, self-evidently great vocals and harmonies and great playing.
Can't say it's my favourite because they are all outstanding.

Guenter
Guenter, Thanks for the very nice comments. Tom
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Love the guitar hook! Great song! Production and Vocals are spot on too!
Lawrence, Glad you liked it. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Little Voices - 07/08/16 07:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Top notch at every level. The harmonies shine on this one.

"D--- it sure is hot" here on the forum, cause you've done turned up the heat... !

Enjoyed this one from start to finish.
Hot here for sure. And it sucks! Thanks Charlie, I appreciate it. Tom
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Tommy this is probably your best to date. Everything about this is pro all the way. Of course I have always been in envy of your guitar chops, your vocals and writing abilities and on this one you took them all over the top!

This is a keeper.

Mario, Thanks and I'm happy you liked it. Tom
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Little Voices - 07/10/16 03:30 PM
simply WOW, Tommy!

Sitting down at the computer with the intent of listening through a bunch of forum songs is sort of a grab-bag experience. Like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, you really don't know what you're going to get; but past experience tends to set your expectations...

And I walk into any song of yours with a very high set of expectations... you've "wow-ed" me every time so far; but there's still that little voice suggesting you can't keep up the momentum, so each new song is a surprise.

Well guess what... this one doesn't just maintain your momentum, it raises the bar a notch!

You get such a BIG sound without any of the problems that normally go along with "big"! And yeah, the hooky guitar was perfect for the song. (A great 80s-90s ballad sound!)

It's all been said, but I'll end up saying a lot of it again because I just can't NOT say it! Great mix, AWESOME guitar playing, I enjoyed multiple recurring grooves throughout, especially the very background one that adds a little Henley to the D string....

And you really have built brand recognition into your songs... as Bud said, in a pile of unlabeled songs, any of us could recognize this as yours.

Dynamics were just....soooo.... good! All tied together with the exact magical amount of mystery ingredient...

I'd love to hear this one played live. Please send tickets. ;-)
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Little Voices - 07/10/16 09:55 PM
It just speaks to me, makes want to pick my guitar and play in a band with you Tom. This is a sound that I love. I wanna do my best Springsteen/Petty half screaming vocal on it if that makes any sense.That's how much I like it. It says the kind of things I like to say, so I think it's a great one. Well done.

Kenny
Posted By: Skyline Re: Little Voices - 07/11/16 06:14 AM
Wow Tom, you've surpassed yourself (again...)

Where to start? I superb song delivered with panache perhaps, but that's an understatement really. As a fellow plank spanker, I of course love the guitar sounds a lot! Top drawer mixing and engineering, (the kick drum...COOL!). Off for another listen.

John
Posted By: tommyad Re: Little Voices - 07/11/16 06:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Man... who hasn't lived that song at least a couple of times?

I like everything about this.

Great perspective on a common issue everyone has been through. Loved those guitars since that really took this to a different level. Just the right level of verb to make them sound liquid. Sweet solo and fills.

Nice lyric writing and superb vocal work. Harmonies are great and at the correct levels.

Very satisfying song to listen to.

My only nits... the opening drums were a bit wimpy. And.... yeah, I know you were pushing the 4 minute mark... BUT....I would have busted that 4 minute point wide open..... it really needed one more instrumental tag with a slowdown (rit) to that last chord.... but hey.... just nits and personal opinions.
Herb, thanks so much for commenting. I like that word liquid. Glad you liked it. Tom
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Tom,

Another winner.

Nice opening guitar lick. Nice, tasty little licks throughout. Great tone.

A good write. A whole bunch of good phrases, giving "good moments" over and over.
A good "singing" melody. Strong chorus.

Strong vocal. Strong mix.

An excellent listen (bunch of 'em...). Infectious. "Pop-y"...cool.

floyd
floyd, always good to get a thumbs up from you. I appreciate it. Tom
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Little Voices - 07/11/16 09:33 PM
Tommy,
This is outstanding in all aspects. Great song!
SD
Posted By: Sundance Re: Little Voices - 07/12/16 12:05 AM

+1 This is terrific Tom!
Posted By: rayc Re: Little Voices - 07/12/16 05:07 AM
A fabulous result.
Song, performances, arrangement & BIAB additions are all 1st class.
the mix is similarly top notch except for the sibilant harshness I'm certain you could tame - (it's probably the headphones I'm listening with that make the sss a little annoying/distracting. It may even be the Soundclick compression algorithm making artifacts).
Posted By: tommyad Re: Little Voices - 07/12/16 08:58 AM
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
Hi Tommy
Superb!!
Great lyrics and on the money singing. But as I am primarily a solo guitarist I am in AWE of the fantastic guitar sound you have.
Can you offer your "chain" so I can try and get to something close?
Cheers
ian
Ian, Thanks for your wonderful comments. The guitar is a tele with a broadcaster custom shop bridge p/u. The tone knob is set at 70 percent. The amp is direct. Scuffham Amps S-Gear. Preset on Roy's Dream with Heaven preset on reverb and 500ms of delay. Hope this helps. Tom
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Powerful Tom. Great mix. Love that Tele big time. Awesome sound. You killed it.
Thanks David. Tom
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Hi Tom

great song with a lot of power in it.
Super guitar and super country vocal

Sergio
Thanks Sergio, Glad you liked the guitar. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Little Voices - 07/12/16 10:28 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Tommy,

This one definitely shines and is 100% Pro!
Beautiful guitar work!

Rob
Thanks RnAM. Appreciated. Tom
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"...but I sure hope they found some happiness in their lives. Everyone deserves some of that. "

Amen!

We could've heard the intro on a drive-in speaker across the parking lot and would've known
who it was. Man, you really do have a signature sound. Not repetitive but signature in the best
sense of the word.

"That first cool breath of winter feels like something's off this year
Could it be a warning sign or just the fact I came back here"

What a set up...you know it's gonna be great write after hearing the first two lines.

Others have beat us to it....the lyric, the melody, the vocals, the guitars and the production
are nailed. Anybody wanting to pic nits here has a long, long row to hoe.

And all of it is captured in a production that let's all the elements "shine when it's time!"

Outstanding.

J&B

Bud and Janice , I always look forward to your observations. Yes the first line or the set up is oh so important. Thanks for noticing. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Little Voices - 07/13/16 06:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
simply WOW, Tommy!

Sitting down at the computer with the intent of listening through a bunch of forum songs is sort of a grab-bag experience. Like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, you really don't know what you're going to get; but past experience tends to set your expectations...

And I walk into any song of yours with a very high set of expectations... you've "wow-ed" me every time so far; but there's still that little voice suggesting you can't keep up the momentum, so each new song is a surprise.

Well guess what... this one doesn't just maintain your momentum, it raises the bar a notch!

You get such a BIG sound without any of the problems that normally go along with "big"! And yeah, the hooky guitar was perfect for the song. (A great 80s-90s ballad sound!)

It's all been said, but I'll end up saying a lot of it again because I just can't NOT say it! Great mix, AWESOME guitar playing, I enjoyed multiple recurring grooves throughout, especially the very background one that adds a little Henley to the D string....

And you really have built brand recognition into your songs... as Bud said, in a pile of unlabeled songs, any of us could recognize this as yours.

Dynamics were just....soooo.... good! All tied together with the exact magical amount of mystery ingredient...

I'd love to hear this one played live. Please send tickets. ;-)
Pat, your reviews are always so interesting to read. Thanks for all the nice comments. It's very cool that you picked up a Henley vibe. I was thinking of Mike Campbell when I added the the fills and lead. I was going for that spacey reverb drenched sound that he got on Boys of Summer. As you probably know he wrote the backing track and took it to Henley after Tom Petty passed on it. Again thanks, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Little Voices - 07/13/16 06:28 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
It just speaks to me, makes want to pick my guitar and play in a band with you Tom. This is a sound that I love. I wanna do my best Springsteen/Petty half screaming vocal on it if that makes any sense.That's how much I like it. It says the kind of things I like to say, so I think it's a great one. Well done.

Kenny
Kenny, glad it speaks to you. That's what it's all about! Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Little Voices - 07/14/16 06:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Skyline
Wow Tom, you've surpassed yourself (again...)

Where to start? I superb song delivered with panache perhaps, but that's an understatement really. As a fellow plank spanker, I of course love the guitar sounds a lot! Top drawer mixing and engineering, (the kick drum...COOL!). Off for another listen.

John
John, thanks for the fine review. Tom
Posted By: P Glaser Re: Little Voices - 07/14/16 08:08 PM
Nice production, Tom. Clean!
Posted By: tommyad Re: Little Voices - 07/15/16 09:53 AM
Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Tommy,
This is outstanding in all aspects. Great song!
SD
SD, Thanks for listening and commenting. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Little Voices - 07/16/16 09:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Sundance

+1 This is terrific Tom!
Josie, So glad you checked in. Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: rayc
A fabulous result.
Song, performances, arrangement & BIAB additions are all 1st class.
the mix is similarly top notch except for the sibilant harshness I'm certain you could tame - (it's probably the headphones I'm listening with that make the sss a little annoying/distracting. It may even be the Soundclick compression algorithm making artifacts).
Ray, Thanks. I think it may be your phones, although I have hearing problems and have lost a lot of the highs. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Little Voices - 07/17/16 09:40 AM
Originally Posted By: P Glaser
Nice production, Tom. Clean!
Paul, Thanks for listening and the nice comments. Also welcome to the forum. I listened to your Uncle Tompall for many years. "Put Another Log On The Fire" was a staple in our band's setlist. Tom
Posted By: Trygve Larsen Re: Little Voices - 07/18/16 12:32 AM
Great rock ! Excellent vocals !
Posted By: tommyad Re: Little Voices - 07/18/16 09:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Trygve Larsen
Great rock ! Excellent vocals !
Trygve, Thanks for checking it out. Tom
© PG Music Forums