PG Music Home
Posted By: DIOECHOOTO Your Boring Happiness - 07/14/16 12:48 PM
Your Boring Happiness

Hi, all!
This is a work in progress because if I can make it work I want to add lyrics and additional color; but I think it stands nicely enough on it's own as a subtle nuanced instrumental.

My contributions are the lead guitar passages and of course the curiously restless chord changes, which were arrived at via running a quasi-improvisational jam-with-myself through the BIAB chord detection utility. I really love the result in this case, YMMV.

The title is a nod to Aldous Huxley's quip: I can sympathize with people's pains, but not with their pleasure. There is something curiously boring about somebody else's happiness.

The work is meant to be included in a thematic album around Manchurian Candidates, mind control, transhumanism, Gov black ops...you know, fun light stuff. Don't worry, though, there's a very good chance it'll never actually get made, lol! Which is fine with me, it's the trying and the dreaming that's fun!

Style: dreamy pop ballad, all RealTracks.
Guitar: Fender Squire II, recorded in Reaper. Guitar effect pedal: Korg AX1G on factory "FOO" setting
Mixed in Reaper. Reaper reverb and delay on soloing guitar after recording.

[Link no longer valid]
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Your Boring Happiness - 07/14/16 05:13 PM
Interesting music! You did some really different things with time signature and chord progressions. Soloing is very nice. I think if it remains an instrumental, you should have a solo instrument in some of the earlier part of the song as well. Nice work! Take care. Greg
Posted By: DIOECHOOTO Re: Your Boring Happiness - 07/16/16 10:59 PM
Thanks Greg! I see your point, and agree. I will definitely add some soloing in the earlier part of the song if it remains an instrumental; hopefully, it won't! I appreciate your listening and feedback. cheers!
Posted By: gruverider Re: Your Boring Happiness - 07/16/16 11:46 PM
Engaging, I really like this. I also love your guitar work.

What's happening with the drums and the meter at 2:52?

It certainly stands as a complete composition. But I am curious what you would do with lyrics and melody.
Posted By: DIOECHOOTO Re: Your Boring Happiness - 07/18/16 01:07 PM
Thanks for the appreciation, Lawrence!

Currently I'm prevented from really looking into it as my machine is in for repairs, but from memory all I did was change the tempo, and there are no tricky time signatures. I think the unconventional jumpy chord changes might sort of give the impression of some polyrhythmia going on. I'm very happy with that aspect, to be sure. It pleases my ear, but I'm sure it won't be to everyone's taste.

I'm curious as to what I will be inspired to do with any melodic and vocal treatments too, if you know what I mean, lol! But I will say this, they will have to be suggestive/somewhat atonal or impressionistic, as I don't see clear cut melodies emerging here. And that's fine, it's exactly what's called for. In fact, much of what I intend to add will not be musical but sound bytes, short cuts of people speaking in a room or talking on the phone, sounds of device carts being wheeled in, medical beeps, that sort of thing. To paint a picture in the thematic development mentioned in the OP.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Your Boring Happiness - 07/18/16 04:45 PM
Hi Eric,

Really interesting and we're very curious what it will sound like, when vocals are added!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Your Boring Happiness - 07/18/16 04:58 PM
hi Eric,

I want to start by saying that I was intrigued by the title (and you explanation of its origin). I like the way you articulate your thoughts, and I like musical exploration... so I was hoping to be highly entertained by the results of your experimentation here.

Alas, it appears that I'm too old to adapt to this much newness. It didn't sound finished to me. Knowing how BIAB works, it sounded to me like a bunch of random changes that were never tweaked into a unified theme.

I do think that with editing I could really embrace this, but in its current version it didn't resonate here.

The good news is that you knew in advance that it wouldn't work for everybody, and you had the conviction to pursue the idea anyway (as opposed to being opinion-whipped into creative submission)

Never let go of your creative resolve.
Posted By: DIOECHOOTO Re: Your Boring Happiness - 07/20/16 10:29 AM
Hi, Rob and Anne-Marie. Thanks much! I'll definitely post it when it's done. Now I HAVE to succeed, lol! Feels good.

Hi, Pat. You nailed it, brother! I just have to see it through, knowing it won't be for everyone...but hey, what is? In any case, you explained the situation eloquently, and I appreciate it, man!

In a philosophical and musicological vein: it's interesting to note that some musical movements (genres) have less adherents and are considered less accessible. Free Jazz would undoubtedly be considered (even if only by tabulation of the numbers of sales/listens) less accessible, with less adherents than, say, Cool Jazz. What would the main complaint be? "it sounds too random" would be my very confident guess. People that don't like any jazz at all, what is their main complaint? Pretty much the same.

I hear a beautiful coherency in the way this tune turned out, but I can hardly be objective (is there any such thing in music appreciation?). The chord changes are what the software decided to make of a semi-improvised session of mine. It's an interesting academic question as to who "really" picked the chords, and the way I would put it is that the software imposed a music-theoretical formalism on my performance mixture of happy and unhappy plans and accidents.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Your Boring Happiness - 10/04/16 09:33 AM
I just listened and commented. I agree that it has merit but seems (in the present state) to lack instrumentation. I would probably try a cello or B3 to fill the frequency spectrum out more.

My comment about "No good deed..." was made tongue in cheek and not meant to be taken seriously.

The written word can often be misread and become clouded when lacking the benefit of body language or facial gestures. Old-timers will assure that I had no malicious intent. I try to be positive and encouraging. Sorry.

Don
Posted By: Scott C Re: Your Boring Happiness - 10/04/16 12:58 PM
I liked the back track. I liked the sound of the guitar. Would be very cool to weave in and out of the backtrack with a guitar melody. Look forward to hearing the finished piece
Posted By: Will B - PG Music Re: Your Boring Happiness - 10/04/16 03:16 PM
Love the Huxley reference smile The guitar solo in the middle is excellent too, really awesome tone. I really dig how you introduce that big snare at the same time as the guitar solo. Great job!
Posted By: DIOECHOOTO Re: Your Boring Happiness - 10/04/16 06:26 PM
Don, please consider any provisions previously attached to my apologies removed to allow them to be in effect full-force...plus a wink for the road! My bad, man!

My computer has been broken for so long, I'll have to return to that track almost like a child once I get it repaired again. Thanks for the suggestions...B3 or cello...those are some good ones!
Posted By: DIOECHOOTO Re: Your Boring Happiness - 10/04/16 06:36 PM
Scott, and Will B, thank you very much for the encouragement! It is so very welcome at this juncture, you have no idea! For one thing, my music computer has been down for, like, ever with a bad case of voodoo, and I'm struggling to remain rational. Well..I mean... "remain" is a bit of a stretch... "be" is probably more accurate...
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Your Boring Happiness - 10/04/16 08:26 PM
No harm done, my friend.

Try playing the file through a graphic EQ (Even WMP). I suspect you'll find it weak in the low frequencies below 300 Hz. At least to my tired old ears.

I only suggested Cello or B3 as my personal favorites, you probably have your own favorites. The guitar is filling the high end very nicely. Work on filling the lows.

Just my humble opinion.

Don
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Your Boring Happiness - 10/04/16 09:30 PM
There are many savvy computer gurus on these forums. Please specify your computer problems in detail and I'm confident they can solve it.

Don
Posted By: DIOECHOOTO Re: Your Boring Happiness - 10/07/16 12:51 PM
" Please specify your computer problems in detail and I'm confident they can solve it." -Don

Actually, knock on silicon, I think I finally got it now...and no goats or chickens sacrificed! It was a bloodless coup, in which a graphics card and a hard drive got replaced, only the former being necessary but I didn't know that at the time, and it's prudent anyway at this point. Next I'll do the power supply for good measure; this beast used to go 'round the clock rendering animations so it's pro'lly a little worn...10 years old...

Anyway, thanks for the helpful vibes, my man! 'preciate it!
© PG Music Forums