PG Music Home
Track 28 is another collaboration, with Jan Hauenstein supplying the music: Topsoil Blues

https://52tracksblog.com/2016/07/14/track-28-topsoil-blues/

All tracks are RTs--bass, two electric guitars, piano, organ, and drums. I love the interplay between the two guitars--two Brent Mason tracks--2448 and 2650. The piano glues it together--John Jarvis 1729.

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Fred
Very nice one Fred!! I have to admit the lyrics sound much more folky than bluesy to me. Would be pretty cerebral for blues. I really like the music and the prosody. Nice job!! Take care. Greg
Thanks, Greg. I used the term in the more general term of being blue, not the blues idiom.
regarding Greg's comment, the song is a bit hard to pin down genre wise. Parts of it sound traditional, parts sound folky, at times I even hear Jimmy Buffet

But you sure are getting a lot of practice through this 52 week challenge! You're a better man than I am, and a better song writer too!
Thanks, Pat. I stopped thinking about genres 25 years ago! I let my muse meander nowadays. The fact that you can't pin me down is a big thumbs up.

I know I have cut myself off from lots of listeners on this forum because of my lack of genre consistency (I check the stats...) but my early February or March resentment at the lack of listens or comments has melted away. I want to share with this community and I am sorry I can't listen more often to contributors and comment but so much is going on in my life. You and others are worthy songwriters with much to give.

Fred
Fred
Up to your usual standard - most enjoyable.
Fred,

Man! That is a nice write! Great lines one right after another.
A nice melody, too. Very "listenable". Easy on the ears...

The arrangement is nice. Production, too. Well sung.

Some thoughts...(these always seem 'negative' because they are necessarily long - to fully explain - but in no way intended to take away from all the good that is the song and production - and, after all are just opinions...)

The vocal is a bit "above the mix" - meaning the instrument bed, really. It should be "up front", of course, but this one seems to float a little too far above. Typically a little bit less volume (1 or 2 dB) or a bit more reverb will tuck it back in...

The piano is mixed slightly low (I think)... but that might be because the vocal is loud in comparison. The piano RT that you are using is a carry-the-song type of piano track - so it needs to cut through the mix a bit more than it does (opinion, of course - a less "busy" piano - meaning more of a chording piano - doesn't need to as much)...and be balance with the vocal...

Again... I really like the song.

fj

(I always wish that your Play control had some controls to it instead of all-or-nothing....)
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Fred
Up to your usual standard - most enjoyable.

Thanks, Peter.
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Fred,

Man! That is a nice write! Great lines one right after another.
A nice melody, too. Very "listenable". Easy on the ears...

The arrangement is nice. Production, too. Well sung.

Some thoughts...(these always seem 'negative' because they are necessarily long - to fully explain - but in no way intended to take away from all the good that is the song and production - and, after all are just opinions...)

The vocal is a bit "above the mix" - meaning the instrument bed, really. It should be "up front", of course, but this one seems to float a little too far above. Typically a little bit less volume (1 or 2 dB) or a bit more reverb will tuck it back in...

The piano is mixed slightly low (I think)... but that might be because the vocal is loud in comparison. The piano RT that you are using is a carry-the-song type of piano track - so it needs to cut through the mix a bit more than it does (opinion, of course - a less "busy" piano - meaning more of a chording piano - doesn't need to as much)...and be balance with the vocal...

Again... I really like the song.

fj

(I always wish that your Play control had some controls to it instead of all-or-nothing....)

Thanks, Floyd for your comments and suggestions. I agree that the vocal is a bit too high. I was torn about the piano volume as I mixed. I am on my second remix of the day and when I am satisfied I will replace the file on my blog. As always, I respect your ears!

Yes, the Bandcamp player is limited....

Looking forward to your next post.

Fred
Cool song!!!
Thanks, David! I remixed the song today and uploaded it an hour ago. Floyd's advice was right on point for the remix.

Fred
Hi Fred,
I`m going to have to listen a few times to your very enjoyable song - without reading your disclaimer I heard the first verse and thought "ok, its a Dustbowl song" but it gradually spun a more internal tale with some great dry humour in the lyric: " its hard read the wine list when you`re eating crow".
Is the original version you refer to accessible somewhere?
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Hi Fred,
I`m going to have to listen a few times to your very enjoyable song - without reading your disclaimer I heard the first verse and thought "ok, its a Dustbowl song" but it gradually spun a more internal tale with some great dry humour in the lyric: " its hard read the wine list when you`re eating crow".
Is the original version you refer to accessible somewhere?

Thanks for the post. Jan's 2009 recording is here: http://www.folkalley.com/openmic/song.php?id=12390

I just fiddled with the vocal and piano volume levels when I updated my mix.

Fred
Thanks for the link, Fred - Folk Alley looks like an interesting site.
Both recordings have a nice feel.I like the dreamier backing on yours.
Robert
Very sweet and relaxing song Fred.. I really enjoyed my listen to this...
Thanks, Leo. Glad you enjoyed it.

Fred
Very nice tune Fred. Very enjoyable
Thanks, Scott.
© PG Music Forums