PG Music Home
Posted By: gruverider Aleigha - 07/14/16 09:28 PM
I set out to try and write a song with one chord. I settled on two.

[Link no longer valid]

Realtracks: 1424 Fiddle (through GuitarRig 5), 1426 Acu Gtr and 898 12Acu Gtr, 1192 Elc Bass, RockModWaltz Drums (x's3 tracks), 1431 Pedal Steel (through GuitarRig 5), 859 and 857 Elc Gtrs

Aleigha (3-12-2012)

Temptation the sun, redemption the moon, abstinence smoke, desire the flame
A warm summer wind rushing through June, fades into a whisper that carries your name

Aleigha

Curses abide on the tip of your tongue, saturates your mouth like sweet sugarcane
Distrust and suspense keep you on the run, regret just like thunder, forgiveness like pain

Aleigha

Death is a chamber, sleep a red rose, desperation the chorus, rage the refrain
Madness your brother in a lunatic pose, delusion your lover, you spinster, you dame

Aleigha

Faith is a key, doubt is a trap, mercy is tender, forgiveness the same
Kindness the thing you can never take back,
Let love be the vessel that carries your name
Posted By: rsdean Re: Aleigha - 07/14/16 09:52 PM
Lawrence,

Wow! Totally blown away... This is just great - love the lyrics, the way the arrangement builds, and an outstanding vocal. 2 chords - mission accomplished. A new favorite...

Bob
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Aleigha - 07/14/16 10:13 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Lawrence,

Wow! Totally blown away... This is just great - love the lyrics, the way the arrangement builds, and an outstanding vocal. 2 chords - mission accomplished. A new favorite...

Bob

what Bob said! And I'm not surprised that the resident poet responded so favorably... the lyrics to this are very poetic!

Interesting that you started with a challenge of a minimal set of chords and got it to work.

Also you have a very powerful voice, and this song shows it off quite well!
Posted By: RnAM Re: Aleigha - 07/14/16 10:28 PM
Well Lawrence,
it seems you're getting back in shape with BIAB!
Just two chords? unbelievable.
this demonstrates your true craftsmanship indeed.

Rob
Posted By: PeterF Re: Aleigha - 07/15/16 03:43 AM
Lawrence
Just really really good!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Aleigha - 07/15/16 07:41 AM
Wow, good song! Great arrangement, production, lyrics, and performance. I'm especially impressed at the dynamics, difficult to do with BIAB (for me anyway).
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Aleigha - 07/15/16 07:56 AM
Lawrence!!!!

You've outdone yourself this time. This is spectacular!!!! The production and your singing is unbelievably brilliant and then some! I'm a fan of anything written with compound time signatures. The lilt that a triplet feel brings to the music grabs me every time.

Why aren't you famous??? (or are you?)

You sure know how to make two chords work for you. I can't even seem to find the words to tell you just how fantastic this sounds to me!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: tommyad Re: Aleigha - 07/15/16 09:16 AM
Lawrence, Your vocals just kill me. The arrangement and production are great and the poetry in the write is like looking at a painting. So very good. Tom
Posted By: boehm Re: Aleigha - 07/15/16 11:01 AM
Hi Lawrence,

awesome vocals, great poetic lyrics and a contagious arrangement. It just carried me away.

Guenter
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Aleigha - 07/15/16 11:07 AM
Powerful, Lawrence!

Your vocals are always stunning...this one is off-the-charts...

Cool write.

I'd really like to know how you processed the acoustic guitars. They sound live (like you played them yourself) - so how'd you do that???

Excellent arrangement. Great mix. A great listen.

fj
Posted By: gruverider Re: Aleigha - 07/15/16 05:13 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Lawrence,

Bob
Well Bob, thank you very much. I'm happy you enjoyed it. I've waited four years to record it so I'm happy to hear it's appreciated.

Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

what Bob said! And I'm not surprised that the resident poet responded so favorably... the lyrics to this are very poetic!

Interesting that you started with a challenge of a minimal set of chords and got it to work.

Also you have a very powerful voice, and this song shows it off quite well!
Thank you Pat. I definitely just allowed the poetic voice take the reins on this one. And Bob is masterful with this style.

One of my most prolific song writing periods was when I was in a songwriters group around 2010- 2011. We met monthly and always left with a challenge whether it was musical, lyrical, stylistic or whatever we could come up with. This song was not part of that group but the challenge idea of a single chord song came out of that.

As to my voice I can only say that several years ago my girlfriend at that time introduced me to her Uncle who had a PHD in music. We all spent Christmas together in 2010 and she asked me to play some songs for him. When I was done he made comments about this and that but then he stopped and gazed deeply into my eyes and said whatever you do always sing with your full voice and I've been contemplating that ever since.
Posted By: dani48 Re: Aleigha - 07/15/16 05:48 PM
Dear Lawrence !:))

I think you surpassed yourself
with this sensational tune !!!
I am completely at awe at your
ability to write and perform
such a wonderful song of two
chords !!!!!:))

Wonderful !

Take Care

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Aleigha - 07/15/16 07:53 PM
I love this. I was reminded of Johnny Clegg and Savuka. Anyone remember them?
Posted By: DIOECHOOTO Re: Aleigha - 07/15/16 08:22 PM
Sometimes less is more. There are plenty of great 2 chord songs, and this is one of them. Very nice work, Lawrence!
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Aleigha - 07/16/16 02:20 AM
Powerful,strong write, I love the way it builds and drives. Very nice.

Kenny
Posted By: PaddyG Re: Aleigha - 07/16/16 05:48 AM

Lawrence,

This is a good one, powerful, David compares it to Johnny Clegg Savuka "Scatterlings of Africa ) a national hero in my country. Well observed, especially in the force of delivery.
Keep trucking

Paddy G
Posted By: gruverider Re: Aleigha - 07/16/16 11:10 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Well Lawrence,
it seems you're getting back in shape with BIAB!
Just two chords? unbelievable.
this demonstrates your true craftsmanship indeed.

Rob
Thank you Rob. Yes, I hope I've gotten past whatever mental block that was holding me back.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Lawrence
Just really really good!
Thank you Peter.

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Wow, good song! Great arrangement, production, lyrics, and performance. I'm especially impressed at the dynamics, difficult to do with BIAB (for me anyway).
BlueAttitude, thank you. I have spent many, many hours over the last couple of years working and studying online to try and get a sound I'm happy with. And all I really want to do is write - go figure. smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Aleigha - 07/16/16 12:08 PM
Paddy, I only have two commercial albums I am listening to this month.

One is Cruel, Crazy, Beautiful World. ("Jericho" gives me goosebumps every time he hits that chorus.")

The other is In My African Dream: The Best of Johnny Clegg and Savuka.

People come up to me sometimes and say: "Man, my songwriting has hit a slump."

I say, "Are you listening to any Johnny Clegg?"

They say "Who?"

I say "I can't help you then man."

smile

Anyway, yeah this has a strong Johnny Clegg feel too it and I fully intend to throw my hat into this ring soon!!! I will not stand idly by!! Great songs like this get me all riled up Lawrence!!

Where's my guitar and djembe at???!!!

smile
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Aleigha - 07/16/16 06:10 PM
This has a great sound - should be bringing a crowd to their feet dancing in a field somewhere, it has that celebratory feel.
Lyrics are cool too when you can keep still to listen!
Robert
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Aleigha - 07/16/16 06:23 PM
This is brilliant Lawrence. Well done!

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Aleigha - 07/16/16 08:16 PM
This is amazing. It's so over the top at every level. Music, mix, vocals, lyrics and production. Super job.
Posted By: gruverider Re: Aleigha - 07/16/16 10:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Lawrence!!!!

You've outdone yourself this time. This is spectacular!!!! The production and your singing is unbelievably brilliant and then some! I'm a fan of anything written with compound time signatures. The lilt that a triplet feel brings to the music grabs me every time.

Why aren't you famous??? (or are you?)

You sure know how to make two chords work for you. I can't even seem to find the words to tell you just how fantastic this sounds to me!

All the best,
Noel

Noel, thank you very much. I thought at first that it was 3/4 time when I wrote it on the guitar but after arranging it in BIAB and using a Waltz Realdrum and having to crank the tempo up to 200 I honestly don't know what time sig. it is. But in the melody I defiantly use a slow (100?) 4/4 cadence with the lyrics. Thank you again for the kind remarks.

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Lawrence, Your vocals just kill me. The arrangement and production are great and the poetry in the write is like looking at a painting. So very good. Tom
Tom, thank you. I'm glad you liked the poetry. It's always a risk as it can easily just come off as cryptic and unrelatable.
Posted By: gruverider Re: Aleigha - 07/17/16 03:34 PM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Lawrence,

awesome vocals, great poetic lyrics and a contagious arrangement. It just carried me away.

Guenter

Thank you Guenter. So glad you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Powerful, Lawrence!

Your vocals are always stunning...this one is off-the-charts...

Cool write.

I'd really like to know how you processed the acoustic guitars. They sound live (like you played them yourself) - so how'd you do that???

Excellent arrangement. Great mix. A great listen.

fj
Thank you Floyd. Through trial and error I've found that acoustic guitars and piano need no compression. So there is no compression other than on the final mix bus. I have a bump of 2 db shelf starting at 5k and minus 2db shelf at 80 db. But the thing that I think helps a lot is a new tool I've been using on almost every track. It's a channel tool. Do you use one? The one that comes with Sonar is called "Channel Tool". I'm sure there are companies that make something similar. If you haven't used one it is a precession panning tool. And it gives whatever you put it on a very clear space in the stereo field. So that you can carve out a spot for each instrument. The last thing I do is aux send each guitar to a bus with a transient shaper set to a snap setting and then dial in as much I like.
Posted By: Trygve Larsen Re: Aleigha - 07/17/16 11:44 PM
Wow ! Impressive what u was able to do with two chords... Excellent work here !
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Aleigha - 07/18/16 01:49 PM

Tom said it right. This is spectacular!! Just bleeds energy and emotion. Some really cool abstract poetry. GREAT GREAT GREAT!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: gruverider Re: Aleigha - 07/18/16 06:41 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Dear Lawrence !:))

I think you surpassed yourself
with this sensational tune !!!
I am completely at awe at your
ability to write and perform
such a wonderful song of two
chords !!!!!:))

Wonderful !

Take Care

Cheers
Dani
Thank you ever so much Dani.

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
I love this. I was reminded of Johnny Clegg and Savuka. Anyone remember them?
Thank you David. I checked them out they are very infectious.

Originally Posted By: DIOECHOOTO
Sometimes less is more. There are plenty of great 2 chord songs, and this is one of them. Very nice work, Lawrence!
Thank you Eric.

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Powerful,strong write, I love the way it builds and drives. Very nice.

Kenny
Thank you very much Kenny.

Originally Posted By: PaddyG

Lawrence,

This is a good one, powerful, David compares it to Johnny Clegg Savuka "Scatterlings of Africa ) a national hero in my country. Well observed, especially in the force of delivery.
Keep trucking

Paddy G
Paddy, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Aleigha - 07/19/16 03:14 PM
one chord - 10 chords. Little difference to us. We always get so captured
by your lyric and vocal that it's hard to think beyond that.

You just keep knocking the write/production ball outa the park.

Like Pat said, "Resident poet."

I think our SoundCloud playlist is about 65% gruverider smile

This is wonderful!

J&B
Posted By: Scott C Re: Aleigha - 07/19/16 06:27 PM
Very cool song Lawrence. Excellent vocal and lyric.
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Aleigha - 07/21/16 06:25 PM

Very nice!!
A great crescendo that catches the listener until the end.
Really beautiful.

Well sung.

Sergio
Posted By: gruverider Re: Aleigha - 07/23/16 03:58 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

... yeah this has a strong Johnny Clegg feel too it and I fully intend to throw my hat into this ring soon!!! I will not stand idly by!! Great songs like this get me all riled up Lawrence!!

Where's my guitar and djembe at???!!!

smile
I can't wait to hear it!
Posted By: gruverider Re: Aleigha - 07/23/16 03:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
This has a great sound - should be bringing a crowd to their feet dancing in a field somewhere, it has that celebratory feel.
Lyrics are cool too when you can keep still to listen!
Robert
Glad to have you rocking!
Posted By: gruverider Re: Aleigha - 07/23/16 04:01 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
This is brilliant Lawrence. Well done!

Regards,

Bob
Thank you so much Bob.
Posted By: gruverider Re: Aleigha - 07/23/16 04:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
This is amazing. It's so over the top at every level. Music, mix, vocals, lyrics and production. Super job.
Charlie, thank you very much.
Posted By: gruverider Re: Aleigha - 07/24/16 11:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Trygve Larsen
Wow ! Impressive what u was able to do with two chords... Excellent work here !
Thank you!

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Tom said it right. This is spectacular!! Just bleeds energy and emotion. Some really cool abstract poetry. GREAT GREAT GREAT!! Take care. Greg
Greg, thank you!

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
one chord - 10 chords. Little difference to us. We always get so captured
by your lyric and vocal that it's hard to think beyond that.

You just keep knocking the write/production ball outa the park.

Like Pat said, "Resident poet."

I think our SoundCloud playlist is about 65% gruverider smile

This is wonderful!

J&B

You guys rock! thank you!

Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Very cool song Lawrence. Excellent vocal and lyric.
Thank you Scott!

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Very nice!!
A great crescendo that catches the listener until the end.
Really beautiful.

Well sung.

Sergio
Thank you Sergio.
© PG Music Forums