PG Music Home
Posted By: PaddyG Sanctuary - 07/17/16 12:41 PM

https://soundcloud.com/user-108834131/sanctuary

A while back I saw someone close, slowly come back from the brink, and found Sanctuary. So I sat down and wrote this song. It was early days with BIAB so a bit of a struggle, but it’s what I felt I needed to articulate and maybe there was a little “guidance” there.

518 Bass 365 guitar acoustic f/pick drums Nashville even 8^6 Hi Hat 362 Guitar acoustic Strumm
363 Pedal Steel background 1408 Piano synthlayer rhythm sung in C at 107 Bps

Sometimes one feels the roads to long the hills to steep
The nights are so dark and there’s no peace to find in sleep

My beautiful world turned so sad for me
Seemed all those I loved had left and gone away

But you never turned your face from me // you never turned your face from me
The words they are true // through his pain and etched in stone

Keep your faith know that I love you // walk by my side// and you will never walk alone
I’ll never turn my face from you // I’ll never turn my face from you

There’s a place for you to come to me // sanctuary // sanctuary
Bring all your sorrow // bring all your heartache // all your pain lay before me

I gave you my promise // here in my house // in my arms find sanctuary // sanctuary //sanctuary

“Sanctuary” © By Graham Paddy Gobel 2014
Posted By: Scott C Re: Sanctuary - 07/17/16 02:33 PM
Excellent song Graham. Very uplifting message. Loved the vocal and lyric
Posted By: Trygve Larsen Re: Sanctuary - 07/17/16 11:27 PM
Great ! Excellent vocal !
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Sanctuary - 07/18/16 09:56 AM

Paddy,

I really like the lyrics, the rhythmic punctuation, the melody and the delivery on this. The melodic ebb and flow is great, there are some great rises and falls in here, true music. The delivery is completely genuine and the production is finely tuned, It sounds as good on a smart phone as it does on speakers. Great job mate.
Posted By: boehm Re: Sanctuary - 07/18/16 12:03 PM
Hi Paddy,

nice uplifting song. Good lyrics and vocal delivery.

Guenter
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Sanctuary - 07/18/16 01:57 PM
Very pretty, and inspirational!! I always love the feel of your vocal, and this one's no exception. Very enjoyable listen! Take care. Greg
Posted By: RnAM Re: Sanctuary - 07/18/16 04:41 PM
Hi Paddy,

Cool song with a very nice chord progression.
Good vocals, good lyrics, it really touches the listener.
Very well done!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: gruverider Re: Sanctuary - 07/18/16 06:47 PM
Very creative chord changes and melody. Warm and touching.

much enjoyed!
Posted By: dani48 Re: Sanctuary - 07/18/16 08:43 PM
Hi, Paddy !

This is a really nice song
very well performed !
I liked it very much !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: PeterF Re: Sanctuary - 07/19/16 04:28 AM
A very nice song - well constructed, good message, and fine delivery.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Sanctuary - 07/19/16 06:53 AM
Hi Paddy,

It's a great song title you've found. It really lends itself well to following a number of pathways. I like the confidence in your writing, your arrangement and your performance. Like others before me, "uplifting" was a word that also sprang to mind as I listened.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: PaddyG Re: Sanctuary - 07/19/16 07:10 AM

Thank you David, your comments ‘especially on this song, are very constructive for me. One is always a bit apprehensive to script a song of this nature but if something is “inside” a songwriter then it must out.
Something I know you understand only too well
Paddy G
I
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Sanctuary - 07/19/16 11:17 AM
Nicely done, Paddy. Enjoyed the listen.

fj
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Sanctuary - 07/19/16 03:05 PM
Most enjoyable.

Yes, sanctuary...something everybody needs available when needed.

Fine write, heartfelt vocal and production.

Kudos!

J&B
Posted By: PaddyG Re: Sanctuary - 07/21/16 05:49 AM

Thanks Noel ,

My thinking also, that if I ever upgraded this song, I would use a few choir singers within it. Thanks for observations, you are a astute musician.

Paddy G

Posted By: tommyad Re: Sanctuary - 07/21/16 01:32 PM
Paddy, Very nice vocal and production. Your lyrics are always well done and this is no exception. Tom
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Sanctuary - 07/21/16 05:45 PM

Great song by you. I like the way you sing.
Super chord progression.

Well done.

Sergio
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Sanctuary - 07/22/16 05:25 PM
hi Paddy,

I read thru the comments before listening, and I was intrigued by all of the references to the chord progression. Now that I've listened, I have to agree that it is very innovative the way you used lots of transitional chords in places where you could probably have gotten away with playing the same chord the whole time (but that would be boring) Isn't it PURE FUN experimenting with chords and melodies and lyrics?

Listening thru the lyrics, it wasn't perfectly obvious whether you were talking about a human relationship or a spiritual relationship... but based on some other things you've said I'm going with the interpretation that the story is being sung from the perspective of deity, with mankind as the recipient of the message.

If that assumption is correct, then it is indeed a very inspirational song, and I'd love to hear the full story about the person you saw come back from the brink.

Paddy, based on the songs you write and the way you express your thoughts when commenting on other peoples' songs, I have to believe you are a special kind of guy... the kind I tend to like and respect. Plus, you write cool songs. ;-)
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Sanctuary - 08/11/16 12:23 PM
Paddy,

Somehow I just ended up writing a song called Sanctuary too. This title must have gotten stuck in my head!!!

smile

If I need to change mine to "Sanctuary from the Storm" let me know!!!!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Sanctuary - 08/14/16 05:19 PM
Meditative and beautiful!! This is just sweet listening. I'm surprised nobody before Leo made a Pink Floyd reference-that struck me immediately. I'm loving what you're doing. Looking forward to the next one! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Sundance Re: Sanctuary - 08/14/16 09:48 PM
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Very creative chord changes and melody. Warm and touching.

much enjoyed!

+1 Very uplifting Paddy.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Sanctuary - 08/15/16 12:15 AM
Excellent song. Excellent lyrics and really fine vocals.

Hopefully I can figure out how to get a reliable email connection one day but you've done a great job with the music on this song.

Enjoyed my listen.

Charlie
© PG Music Forums