PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD It's Hot Here - 07/31/16 06:02 PM
We are in a severe drought here so I thought that I might as well write an island sounding song.

The drums are from Band-in-a-Box style Montego but I slightly modified them to better fit the song. I deleted all other tracks.

I am playing the bass, guitar, keyboard controller (Marimbas, steel drums, a little percussion).

The shakers and tambourine are loops.

The guitar part is interesting in that I could not get it to sound right. So I went to Melodyne, converted it to MIDI, the picked a nylon string guitar patch. I panned the electric and MIDI guitar parts to the left and right, that way I got the sound that I was looking for.

Note that the Marimba rolls were in the patch but I had to play the Steel Drum rolls.

Let me know what you think.

[Link no longer valid]
Posted By: PeterF Re: It's Hot Here - 07/31/16 07:41 PM
Mario
Nice backing liked what you did with the guitar sounds.
Quite a nice melodic island feel going - particularly liked the marimba.
A really nice composition.
Posted By: boehm Re: It's Hot Here - 07/31/16 10:06 PM
Hi Mario,

feels like being on holiday. And feels you're having
fun doing it. Wonder which side is the real guitar. The right one sounds a little brighter. Astounding what you did with the steel drums.
Very enjoyable and entertaining listen.

Guenter
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: It's Hot Here - 08/01/16 09:56 AM
Mario

I really liked the total vibe of this. The opening bars set the scene for a sultry steamy environment. And it, well, it just kept keeping good from that point on.

The bass sits perfectly throughout the mix.

Very "tropical"

I enjoyed it.

Trev
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: It's Hot Here - 08/01/16 02:13 PM
Oh yeah...love that feel.

Here in mid GA we are in what the weather geeks call an "exceptional drought" and daily temps 97-100. Meh!!!!!

So we can kick back and imagine an island breeze with your tune.

We so love your ability to use so much different technology along with your melodic talent to create your productions.

I'd be insufferable if I could do it. smile

J&B
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: It's Hot Here - 08/01/16 07:48 PM
Hot and dry here in northern California too Mario, but you provided a nice oasis!! Really cool vibe to this. Well put together, played and mixed. Particularly love the steel drums! Very tasty, enjoyable little tune!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: gibson Re: It's Hot Here - 08/02/16 04:10 AM
Mario,
I'll stretch my garden hose so's you can have a gallon or 6 of the rain hammering down at the moment. I can only tell it is summer 'cos the rain is warm.

Lovely atmospheric tune and well played on all the instruments!

enjoyed

Alyn
Posted By: 90 dB Re: It's Hot Here - 08/02/16 10:23 AM
Very cool Mario. (No pun intended!) grin

Always love your stuff.

Are those steel drums samples?

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: It's Hot Here - 08/02/16 05:58 PM
Nice, Mario... you did ALL those parts well...

Enjoyed it...

Where's my rum?

fj
Posted By: MarioD Re: It's Hot Here - 08/02/16 09:21 PM
Thanx all for listening and for being very kind with your comments:

PeterF- Thanx-the Marimbas are a third party patch for Kontakt.

Guenter - The side with more treble is the real guitar. The nylon string guitar is more in the mid range as far as tone goes. The steel drums were a challenge as I had to play the rolls myself on my keyboard controller.

Trev - thanx. The bass is the one instrument that I played and everything fit on the first pass. I added very little compression so it would fit better in the mix. Thanx for noticing.

J&B - Thanx-I was aiming for an island feel. I'm not sure about my melodic talent but I can tell you for sure that my wife thinks that I'm insufferable at times !

Greag - Thanx - I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

Alyn - Thanx so much for the kind words. Yes please stretch your garden hose. I'll take whatever you can give me in either gallons or liters!

Bob - Thanx - the steel drums are a patch that is included in Kontakt. If you have Kontakt it is in the Kontakt Factory Library under World Instruments.

Floyd - Thanx - If ever get up to New York State around Rochester to the Niagara Falls area then I will get you your rum. The next time I'm in Florida I will look you up and have rum with you.

Thanx again everyone.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: It's Hot Here - 08/03/16 12:16 AM
Great fun Mario, you captured the mood perfectly ....I see grass skirts swaying!
Very effective use of the steeldrums and marimbas.

Robert
Posted By: dani48 Re: It's Hot Here - 08/03/16 05:01 AM
Hi, Mario !:))

What a nice Caribbean !!1
I understand the urge
to write a watery tune
longing as you must be
after that chilling rain !

I hope that you´ll get it
soon to relieve you from
the heat ! .....and you know,
I liked your Island tune very much !!!

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: tommyad Re: It's Hot Here - 08/03/16 09:49 AM
Mario, Wish I could send you some of our daily rain. I enjoyed reading your explanation of the production. Everything is very well played and sounds great! Tom
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: It's Hot Here - 08/04/16 08:44 AM
Great tune to enjoy over my morning coffee. I also enjoyed the opening bars that set such a perfect mood for the song.

Enjoyed my listen, a lot.
Posted By: Sundance Re: It's Hot Here - 08/05/16 11:35 PM
Mario,

Love the laid back island feel you've put together here.
So relaxing and uplifting. I wouldn't know how to use a controller (wind or otherwise) if I had one. You work wonderfully with all of yours.
Posted By: RnAM Re: It's Hot Here - 08/06/16 08:11 PM
That sure makes us long for a coca cola with rum grin
Typically the kind of music they use here in Holland for commercials for all kinds of tropical drinks.
A nice one.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: It's Hot Here - 08/08/16 06:40 PM

Another great one.
It seems to be on a tropical island.

Very well played.

Sergio
Posted By: David Snyder Re: It's Hot Here - 08/09/16 12:16 PM
Extremely interesting production Mario. Really enjoyed it.
© PG Music Forums