PG Music Home
Posted By: Pat Marr 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/03/16 01:53 AM
This is a quickie post, no need for anybody to comment...

It's an animation I created for a contest on Muvizu. The goal was to portray a bad vacation in only 20 seconds (not counting credits)

In order to drive a frenzied pace to get'er done in 20 seconds, I started with a mini BIAB tune tailor made to last 20 seconds. The real tracks are all from the same style, (one of the heavy metal styles... I'll look it up if anyone wants to use them in their own heavy metal production...)

I added a siren-like synth with my keyboard, and played the guitar solo.
After creating the song, I used its tempo to determine when to change scenes.

Basically the video depicts about 13 or 14 vacation scenarios that I would hate to experience... starting with getting squished on the flight between two other passengers... then going on to include everything from lost luggage, a really bad hotel, gnats on the beach, rain, a speeding ticket, a beach bar where all the girls are dogs (both literally and figuratively), close encounters with a shark and a bear, no toilet paper when you need it most, getting mugged, car breakdown, and finally a relaxing day floating down the river of death.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/03/16 04:36 AM
Very entertaining. I thought that a suitable sojourn with some tranquility had been found for the final scene. But, no....

In the stuck in hotel room in the rain scene, I noticed too that the TV didn't work. cry

Posted By: dani48 Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/03/16 04:51 AM
Hi, Pat !

You´re a genius !

But that you´ve known for
a good time already !:))
It´s hard to see anyone else
put in a better 20 sec vacation
disaster clip !!!

Now, the real question is, how did you
manage in the competition !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: PaddyG Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/03/16 07:11 AM

Hi Pat,

Gap lengthen those clips, add your inimitable lyrics as only you can, and you have a winner .
Would love to hear what you could do with the sitting on the toilet clip, He He

Paddy G
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/03/16 09:49 AM
Originally Posted By: PaddyG

Hi Pat,

Gap lengthen those clips, add your inimitable lyrics as only you can, and you have a winner .

Paddy G

I admit I did have to pause in many places to take it all in, but I understand that the O/P had only 20 seconds to deliver all of this...
Posted By: tommyad Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/03/16 10:15 AM
Pat, You are the Master of Disaster. I certainly hope that most of these scenes were imagined rather than taken from your personal travel experiences. You are becoming very adept at video production. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't play guitar. MetallicMarr. A very enjoyable and creative piece of art. 20 seconds of brilliance. Bravo!!! Tom
Posted By: 90 dB Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/03/16 10:24 AM
"no need for anybody to comment..."

I'm not sure if my comment follows the new Comment Etiquette Standard (CES) grin but I just have to. This is great stuff Pat. Very entertaining, and at 20 seconds, just perfect for my attention span!

Bravo!

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: boehm Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/03/16 12:02 PM
Hi Pat,

what a pace for an old man!
Great entertainment.
Your lead guitar is awesome.
I must have some more watches to
enjoy it all.
You're a Master.

Guenter
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/03/16 02:49 PM
I appreciate the comments all the more since they are by choice.

I might not have posted this one here, except that one of the main challenges was to create a 20 second snippet of music that was complete, still made musical sense at that length, and resolved to a satisfactory end without having to fade out. (I gotta say, there were MANY attempts that got rejected.)

BIAB has a feature that lets you tailor a snippet to a certain length, which is useful in situations like this (commercials etc where the piece has a time constraint) In retrospect, I would have made my life a lot easier by using that feature... but like the big ol' dummy that I am, I used an embarrassingly long time of trial and error to whittle the final product down to about 20 seconds.

Posted By: Pat Marr Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/03/16 02:54 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48

Now, the real question is, how did you
manage in the competition !:))

Cheers
Dani

contest end is still weeks away. I won't win. It's probably detrimental to post an early entry, since its old news when the judging takes place.

But I am in the middle of heavy duty rehearsing for some upcoming live gigs, and this was the only window of opportunity to post something.

However, I'll post again in 2 weeks to report on the outcome
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/03/16 03:20 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Very entertaining. I thought that a suitable sojourn with some tranquility had been found for the final scene. But, no....

In the stuck in hotel room in the rain scene, I noticed too that the TV didn't work. cry

very observant on both counts! exactly my intent. It's very satisfying when people pick up on implied irony... so thanks, you made my day!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/03/16 03:22 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
"no need for anybody to comment..."

I'm not sure if my comment follows the new Comment Etiquette Standard (CES) grin but I just have to. This is great stuff Pat. Very entertaining, and at 20 seconds, just perfect for my attention span!

Bravo!

Regards,

Bob

HA! "CES"! That's downright inspired! I have a feeling you've just coined a phrase that will keep showing up in future comments... ;-)
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/03/16 03:25 PM
Originally Posted By: PaddyG

Hi Pat,

Paddy G

Paddy, thanks for the kind words and relentless encouragement!

I know this is a different animal than we normally see here, but I think music for video is big these days, and in my own small and goofy way I want to point out that BIAB can be a very useful tool for film makers.

Think of it as "Band outside the Box. " ;-)
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/03/16 03:32 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Pat, You are the Master of Disaster. I certainly hope that most of these scenes were imagined rather than taken from your personal travel experiences. You are becoming very adept at video production. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't play guitar. MetallicMarr. A very enjoyable and creative piece of art. 20 seconds of brilliance. Bravo!!! Tom

Regarding the question about personal experience: The beach flies, speeding ticket and rainy day are all things I've experienced. So far, no river of death. ;-)

(But there's still time....)

Regarding the guitar playing: this is such a quirky time and speed, if I didn't know how to add that part myself, I would have been dead in the water. I'm pretty much convinced that no real track exists that would fit this song without sounding chaotic.

Regarding the video production: its all fun whether it's any good or not.

Thanks for your encouragement, I truly do appreciate it!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/03/16 03:38 PM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Pat,

what a pace for an old man!

Indeed! I had to take a nap after making the video!

Quote:
Great entertainment.
Your lead guitar is awesome.
I must have some more watches to
enjoy it all.
You're a Master.

Guenter

thanks for your very kind words, although I'm sure my efforts don't merit them. The guitar solo was the final piece of the puzzle.. until I came up with that phrase, I was sure I'd have to abandon the whole project.

Creative people benefit enormously from good tools, and BIAB is the best tool I've found for actualizing musical ideas in combination with musical performance. You use it to great advantage in your own projects, and I am inspired by what you accomplish musically.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/04/16 07:11 AM
Awesome job on the video! Well worth expanding that at some point after the contest. Nice guitar solo!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/04/16 08:37 AM
Funny video and very relatable.

If you are not already aware, there is a BIAB feature found in the Melody menu called Soundtrack. Select the Generate Soundtrack button to access the Soundtrack window.

It is great for developing themed idea soundtracks and just brainstorming for ideas.

The Genres window is midi based but you can also create your own RealTracks sgu file and load it and have Soundtrack trim the song to exactly fit into your video.

It may give you a bit of inspiration on some of your future projects as well as save time getting the correct length for your video.

It's also just fun to play around with.

Description: Soundtrack Window
Attached picture Soundtrack.JPG
Posted By: ROG Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/04/16 11:12 AM
"Lost Luggage - Are You Angry"

Pat, that was inspired!

I watched five times and then had to freeze-frame through again before I picked up on all the subtleties.

Your wonderful imagination is only equalled by your constantly improving animation skills.

This is nothing short of professional.

ROG.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/04/16 11:52 AM
Man! That goes by in a hurry! And SO much happens.

I had to watch about 10 times. Pausing and stopping the last couple. It was amazing how much my mind retained from the first viewing - to your credit... you get better at these all the time (and they have all been extraordinary).

The music works perfectly. Nice guitar!

Fun. Enjoyable. Impressive. (LOL ending)

fj
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/04/16 03:44 PM
WOW! We had to watch repeatedly to catch it all. If that thing had gone on for another 20s we might not leave the house again.

It's one thing to come up with all the things gone awry but to dream up with the imagery AND create the visuals...you are the man.

Cool guitar also!

That was seriously funny.

J&B
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/04/16 05:17 PM
Very cool Pat!! Video is great and music is the perfect match. Love the last part (panning back from the raft to show the waterfall). I've had some issues on vacations but nothing compared to that guy. Thanks for sharing! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/04/16 06:17 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Awesome job on the video! Well worth expanding that at some point after the contest. Nice guitar solo!

Thanks Dave.. knowing you are an excellent guitar player, I especially appreciate your kind words about my little 20 second guitar ditty.
And yeah, there's a part of me that would like to flesh this out into a real song... but another part of me thinks I already got all the juice out of that lemon, so that's probably the end of that project!

Thanks for listening/watching and taking time to comment... it makes this place a community!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/04/16 06:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Funny video and very relatable.

If you are not already aware, there is a BIAB feature found in the Melody menu called Soundtrack. Select the Generate Soundtrack button to access the Soundtrack window.

It is great for developing themed idea soundtracks and just brainstorming for ideas.

The Genres window is midi based but you can also create your own RealTracks sgu file and load it and have Soundtrack trim the song to exactly fit into your video.

It may give you a bit of inspiration on some of your future projects as well as save time getting the correct length for your video.

It's also just fun to play around with.

Thanks for pointing that out, Charlie... I may have once known that, but the older I get, the more I need to relearn things I once knew. I'll definitely be playing with this! Thanks again!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/04/16 06:26 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
"Lost Luggage - Are You Angry"

Pat, that was inspired!

I watched five times and then had to freeze-frame through again before I picked up on all the subtleties.

Your wonderful imagination is only equalled by your constantly improving animation skills.

This is nothing short of professional.

ROG.

Aw shucks, Rog.. I know it ain't all that.... but you are very kind to say such encouraging things. I do appreciate it.

In retrospect, it does seem kind of overkill to create 14 different sets to get one 20 second video.... but what the heck.. I'm retired. Time is what I have. Apparently when it comes to finishing projects time is better than talent. ;-)
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/04/16 06:36 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Man! That goes by in a hurry! And SO much happens.

I had to watch about 10 times. Pausing and stopping the last couple. It was amazing how much my mind retained from the first viewing - to your credit... you get better at these all the time (and they have all been extraordinary).

The music works perfectly. Nice guitar!

Fun. Enjoyable. Impressive. (LOL ending)

fj

Interestingly, your first sentence is also true of real vacations. We wait all year for them, then they're gone in a heartbeat.. and all we have to remember them by are the short snippets of remembered events.

Thats what I was shooting for with the song.. something as frenzied as all life's responsibility... that hard-to-pin-down force that steals our moments and rushes us too quickly through the best of times... Then stalls when the good times turn into a bad vacation.

Thanks for the kind words. You are a good person to encourage so many of us here on the forum. I appreciate it!
Posted By: Sundance Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/05/16 12:25 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad

Master of Disaster indeed! LOL!

Power packed for such a short time limit Pat!
Posted By: gibson Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/05/16 02:51 AM
Pat,

The others have said it all.
A brilliant 20 seconds of laughter.
You are an man with one hell of an imagination and talent!!

excellent

Alyn
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/05/16 09:16 AM
Very well done my friend.

Reminded me of the cartoons I watched as a kid, where the poor coyote couldn't seem to get a break but in the end yes...finally..... uhhhh, wait.... well no actually, it doesn't look like it ends well at all for the poor guy after all....
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/05/16 12:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
WOW! We had to watch repeatedly to catch it all. If that thing had gone on for another 20s we might not leave the house again.

It's one thing to come up with all the things gone awry but to dream up with the imagery AND create the visuals...you are the man.

Cool guitar also!

That was seriously funny.

J&B
sad to say, my brain finds it easy to imagine dark scenarios.

As far as creating the visuals, film makers use the storyboard concept to rough out a scene before they try to create it in a shot. Saves a lot of time when creating the set, because I can create exactly what I've already roughed out in the storyboard. Otherwise, its too easy to fumble around hoping an idea materializes out of chaos.

thanks for the kind words, especially the reference to humor. I always HOPE people will be amused, but unless they say so I have no way of knowing. It isn't like I can sit quietly in the theater to gauge the reaction of a live audience watching the film.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/05/16 12:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very cool Pat!! Video is great and music is the perfect match. Love the last part (panning back from the raft to show the waterfall). I've had some issues on vacations but nothing compared to that guy. Thanks for sharing! Take care. Greg

Thanks for taking time to watch, listen & comment Greg! I always enjoy reading what you have to say... you have an interesting perspective and way of articulating your thoughts.

Regarding the waterfall, I was pleased the way the surprise ending worked out. Thanks for weighing in!
Posted By: PeterF Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/05/16 07:00 PM
Pat
Very nicely done - you are getting really good at producing with Muvizu.
Nice backing track & Guitar.
Posted By: rsdean Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/05/16 07:46 PM
LOL! Mission accomplished. smile

Bob
Posted By: RnAM Re: 20 seconds of bad vacation... - 08/05/16 08:36 PM
LOL! This is really funny!
The video was over before we knew it, so we watched it again a couple of times.
You're the master with Muvizu, definitely!

Yes, that animation stuff sure is addictive. In about 10 minutes we'll be releasing 'Closing in' our latest one, stuffed with reallusion animations.
Muvizu has a slightly steeper learning curve we think, but in time we'll use it for one of our songs.

Rob & Anne-Marie
© PG Music Forums