PG Music Home
Posted By: RichRayer The Mention of Her Smile - 08/18/16 04:17 PM
I have been working on this piece for a couple of weeks checking out my new (well old sound card Motu 2408 mkII) that I re-installed in my computer.

I am playing the Saxes but the rest is all RealTracks:
1827:Bass. Eletric, PopModernGrooveA-B Ev16 075
1828:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm PopModernGroove Ev16 075
RealDrums=PopM odernGrooveSync16^5-HS4, H24
1831:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopModernGrooveBrightA-B Ev16 075
1842:Synth Pad, PopModernGrooveA-B Ev16 075

I hope you enjoy "The Mention of Her Smile"

https://soundcloud.com/richrayer/the-mention-of-her-smile-mix-8-18-pm
Posted By: PRADON Re: The Mention of Her Smile - 08/19/16 12:09 PM
Hi,
I like the chords progression
The saxes solo are unrecognizable, it's quite curious and interesting as well
Posted By: RichRayer Re: The Mention of Her Smile - 08/19/16 05:03 PM
The saxes are playing 3 part harmony with a Tenor being the lead melody and a tenor and alto doing the harmony.

Thanks for listening and commenting. I appreciate that! :-)
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Mention of Her Smile - 08/19/16 10:27 PM
Originally Posted By: PRADON
Hi,
I like the chords progression
The saxes solo are unrecognizable, it's quite curious and interesting as well

Yes, that was my first thought also. The saxes didn't sound what I would expect from a sax, but that my be my lack of knowledge of the instrument. They sounded muffled to me. Did you have some sort of mute on them? Is this what they are supposed to sound like? Again that my be my lack of knowledge of the instrument.

Otherwise I really liked this song. Your instrumentation was excellent as was your sax playing.

So educate me on this sax sound - thanx.
Posted By: RichRayer Re: The Mention of Her Smile - 08/19/16 11:05 PM
You know, I am not sure why they sound muffled, but you are right. My old ears don't hear the high end so well and I thought it was just my hearing loss. I will have to go back and re-work those sax parts. Thanks for giving me those suggestions.
Posted By: w Re: The Mention of Her Smile - 08/19/16 11:53 PM
I enjoyed my listen of this tune however

I guess I'm not understanding what I'm hearing? Are these backing tracks or are you playing the accompaniment & melody?

Also you need to bring up the " live " Saxes lead/melody track ( s ) by at least 25% as
it is buried in the accompaniment.

Perhaps it's your multi-tracking DAW you are using for your live recording of those Saxes.

Thanks for sharing and sorry for my harsh comments.

Is there any way that you could share the chord chart ?

Posted By: RichRayer Re: The Mention of Her Smile - 08/20/16 10:55 AM
No apology needed. That is precisely the type of comments that help me in evaluating my mixes. My brain hears what it thinks is correct and not always is the actual mix what it really should be.

I am playing the Tenor Sax melody and the tenor and Alto harmony parts to the melody. The rest of the tracks (bass, drums, guitars and pads) are all RealTracks.

I will put together a PDF of the chords if you like.
Posted By: rsdean Re: The Mention of Her Smile - 08/21/16 01:55 PM
Rich,

I really like this. I would bring out the saxes a bit in the mix. Overall, very cool sound.

Bob
Posted By: RichRayer Re: The Mention of Her Smile REMIX - 08/23/16 03:35 PM
I just wanted to post a remix of the piece. I am not sure how to edit the first entry in the thread so this will have to do.

I have worked the mix and think I have a better mix than before but I am still unhappy with the results. When I get the drums to the level I want then the tracks clip. If I leave the drums where I want then the saxes are too soft. I have EQed everything and tried to carve a niche for each instrument but I am still not sure this is what I want. Maybe some of your fresh ears can help out.

Here is the link: The Mention of Her Smile
© PG Music Forums