PG Music Home
Posted By: joesarahh Trouble On The Mountain - 08/24/16 05:06 PM
Been working on this off and on for a couple of months. I did not do this one for my usual band "Acoustic Smoke" but for my new solo project "Joe and the Reluctant Prophets" I put it out on BIAB using loops entirely but for all my layered vocals of course. That means there is no BIAB style or instruments being used, but, BIAB is really good at getting all my many loops to play nicely together, follow the same tempo and even the same key. It's a cool feature I use often.

https://soundcloud.com/joesarahh/trouble-on-the-mountain Sound Cloud
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 08/24/16 05:26 PM
Welcome back Joe!! I remember you posting some really nice stuff about a year or more ago. This is really nicely done-cool music and some great lyrical images. Great work!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 08/24/16 09:15 PM
Joe,
This is really good - lots going on with all the layers of vocals and your looped instruments sound great.
I like the way you brought things down in the last verse - adds drama to the chorus/ending.

Robert
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 08/24/16 11:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Welcome back Joe!! I remember you posting some really nice stuff about a year or more ago. This is really nicely done-cool music and some great lyrical images. Great work!! Take care. Greg

I remember some of earlier posts too. Love your work. It's always top notch.

I enjoyed this one too. Nice use of loops and as always, excellent vocals.

Charlie
Posted By: joesarahh Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 08/26/16 02:43 PM
Interesting, I see PG Music has already thrown this song into three of their PG Radio lists on SoundCloud. Cool.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 08/27/16 01:31 PM
I really like this! Great arrangement. Very rootsy.
Posted By: PaddyG Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 08/28/16 05:05 AM

I liked David’s comment of rootsy , this was home spun shanty right off the coal face taking all that’s happening around us with mother nature kicking back. Well written, well arranged, well sung

Paddy G
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 08/28/16 09:11 PM
hi joe great peace here everything on this totally engaging thanks for sharing hope to here more eric
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 08/28/16 09:25 PM
Outstanding, Joe! Great use of the loops, and your vocals sound great.

Steve
Posted By: PeterF Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 08/29/16 06:09 AM
Nice use of loops, clever arrangement, sounds great.
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 08/29/16 07:17 PM

Great song. super banjo and vocal

Sergio
Posted By: joesarahh Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 08/30/16 03:40 PM
Thanks guys, such encouraging comments. You know, if anybody has some criticism, I am all for it. It improves me.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 08/31/16 02:51 PM
Great song, vocals and use of RTs!
We enjoyed listening very much.
Posted By: joesarahh Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 09/01/16 11:56 AM
Thanks!
Posted By: Matcham Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 09/02/16 09:31 AM
Hey Joe I hear ya about criticism improving you but it's tough picking a hole in this. Nice work!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 09/02/16 09:52 AM
Very nice tune. It's well done in many respects. Not too many nits there to pick.

One thing had me wondering..... In the very beginning, the mando is really nice sounding..... then it sounds like a cell phone ringing in the background or a shortwave radio tuned to someone sending CW.

If I understand correctly, all the tracks are live players and not BB or real tracks....is that correct? And you used BB/RB to put it all together? Could you elaborate on the recording of this?
Posted By: joesarahh Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 09/02/16 04:12 PM
the funny sound you hear in the beginning of the piece is intended to be a Morse Code signal. In fact, just as an aside, it's a recreation of the Titanic's last transmissions. I just thought that was kinda fun.

In the rest of the instrumentation, only the vocals are real, every other sound, instrument or effect are music loops. Now they are very high quality, complex music loops of live performers . .. . but loops none the less. There are in fact 12 tracks of loops and four live vocal tracks (all me). BIAB handles loops pretty well. I work with them mostly in "Real Band"
Posted By: joesarahh Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 09/02/16 04:13 PM
That's good to hear, means I'm getting better. cool
Posted By: Alyssa - PG Music Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 09/02/16 04:55 PM
Really interesting vocal layering. Enjoyed your tune immensely! Thanks for the submission Joe smile
Posted By: rsdean Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 09/08/16 07:34 AM
Joe,

Some very cool textures here - nicely done!

Bob
Posted By: joesarahh Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 09/10/16 01:16 PM
Thanks, it was fun to produce.
Posted By: gibson Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 09/11/16 04:36 AM
I have listened to this a few times but for reasons even I do not understand, never posted my praise.

Loops eh ABSOLUTELY brilliant, well done!

There is so much that is good about it that I won't pick any parts out but say I really enjoyed that, REALLY enjoyed!

I must have a look at loops in Realband now!

excellent,

Alyn
Posted By: joesarahh Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 09/12/16 06:23 PM
Thanks Alyn, funny you should bring it up, but I have been meaning to tell you that I have kept going back to "Damn It's Good," and listened to it a number of times over the least a year. I couldn't tell you why because I have been convinced I don't like the song, yet . . . I keep going back to it. At some point I'm going to have to just admit that I really like it. I remember telling you a year or two ago that I just couldn't decide it I loved it or hated it. Guess I have decided! Good to hear from you.
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 09/12/16 09:33 PM
Nice clean mix, and the vocal harmonies sound great!

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Scott C Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 09/12/16 10:53 PM
Very cool tune. Excellent vocal. Loved the back track
Posted By: joesarahh Re: Trouble On The Mountain - 09/13/16 05:59 PM
Yeah, the loops are fun to work with, and you can do a great deal with them.
© PG Music Forums