Girl won’t you stay, now I wish you’d stay

So won’t you stay, I wish you’d stay
Maria I’ve just been longing to tell you
You’re on my mind when I wake in the morning
You’re in my heart for the rest of the day
Won’t you stay, Maria stay
Girl won’t you stay, now I wish you’d stay
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Won't You Stay - 08/30/16 06:51 PM
Another cool, catchy tune Kenny!! Your songs just have great feel. The grooves are infectious. There are some great lyrics and the perfect "band". I remain one of your biggest fans!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Won't You Stay - 08/30/16 07:19 PM
Man, ok so here is what I am thinking:

1.) You have a classic rock tune here. Coupled with a great title. Very R.E.M.

2.) In fact, this reminds me of the stuff R.E.M. used to play in Mitch's Easter's garage before they made in big. Just pure, classic, ultra hooky, rootsy, gutsy unadulterated rock. Peter Buck and Mitch would dig it.

3.) I wish you could pull that 12 string maybe to the left a bit and bring it up louder so it comes out in the mix, and move the mandolin to the right and fade it up higher and make it even more prominent when there aren't any vox. (Think Losing My Religion.)

Actually google "Losing My Religion" youtube and carefully listen to and study the mix, it is almost the same except in this case they have guitar right and mandolin left.

Most of the EQ is right except the drums might need to be a bit beefier. Not sure what you have in your EQ rack of VSTs but listen to the drums on Losing My Religion and see if you can get something close to that. I would say spend five hours on the drums and then start fading the other stuff up. smile The vocal is about perfect. It needs to sit right exactly on top.

Your song is just as solid as an R.E.M. tune. It just needs another mix, I think. Great lyrics by the way.

I am only offering these production tips because this is a GREAT song. Otherwise I wouldn't have said anything.

Wish I had written it.

smile
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Won't You Stay - 08/30/16 09:42 PM
I agree with David on the merits- "pure, classic, ultra hooky, rootsy, gutsy unadulterated rock".
The vocals are very good- just the right amount of edge.

Robert
Posted By: rsdean Re: Won't You Stay - 08/31/16 06:40 AM
Excellent Kenny - very cool tune!

Bob
Posted By: PeterF Re: Won't You Stay - 08/31/16 07:02 AM
Kenny
Really enjoyed that one. Nice choice of instruments good harmonies & lyrics.
Excellent job.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Won't You Stay - 08/31/16 10:25 AM
Kenny,

Like Greg, I'm a fan. You write really catchy songs - with the influences of many of my old favorites... instantly likeable...

I agree (with David) that the mandolin could come up a little to "make itself known" a bit more. I would roll off some of the high end in the vocal, too - to tuck it in mix more. These are small things, though..

Enjoyed several listens. (It's stuck in my head now...)

floyd
Posted By: RnAM Re: Won't You Stay - 08/31/16 02:10 PM
Like others said: a catchy song.
We like the harmonies!
Well done.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Callie - PG Music Re: Won't You Stay - 08/31/16 05:07 PM
Great song! The style you chose works very well with your lyrics & overall sound!

This song post is the "Hot Forum Topic" for today!

-Callie
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Won't You Stay - 09/01/16 03:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Callie - PG Music
Great song! The style you chose works very well with your lyrics & overall sound!

This song post is the "Hot Forum Topic" for today!

-Callie

Thanks Callie, much appreciated!
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Won't You Stay - 09/01/16 09:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Another cool, catchy tune Kenny!! Your songs just have great feel. The grooves are infectious. There are some great lyrics and the perfect "band". I remain one of your biggest fans!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg,
Always appreciate your kind words
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Won't You Stay - 09/01/16 09:55 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Man, ok so here is what I am thinking:

1.) You have a classic rock tune here. Coupled with a great title. Very R.E.M.

2.) In fact, this reminds me of the stuff R.E.M. used to play in Mitch's Easter's garage before they made in big. Just pure, classic, ultra hooky, rootsy, gutsy unadulterated rock. Peter Buck and Mitch would dig it.

3.) I wish you could pull that 12 string maybe to the left a bit and bring it up louder so it comes out in the mix, and move the mandolin to the right and fade it up higher and make it even more prominent when there aren't any vox. (Think Losing My Religion.)

Actually google "Losing My Religion" youtube and carefully listen to and study the mix, it is almost the same except in this case they have guitar right and mandolin left.

Most of the EQ is right except the drums might need to be a bit beefier. Not sure what you have in your EQ rack of VSTs but listen to the drums on Losing My Religion and see if you can get something close to that. I would say spend five hours on the drums and then start fading the other stuff up. smile The vocal is about perfect. It needs to sit right exactly on top.

Your song is just as solid as an R.E.M. tune. It just needs another mix, I think. Great lyrics by the way.

I am only offering these production tips because this is a GREAT song. Otherwise I wouldn't have said anything.

Wish I had written it.

smile

Thanks David,
This is great, I was feeling a very George Harrison vibe in my head but I love R.E.M. and definitely get the Losing My Religion connection. I appreciate the mix tips, will try to apply some as soon as I get the chance, maybe this weekend. I thought the drums could use more punch, I just didn't change much of anything really, kinda keeping the original mix. I'm in love with the Baritone guitar and only so many things can get top billing. I'm so damned deaf that I don't pan hard left and right because it's lost on me. You do have a great ear and I appreciate your input and kind words.
Kenny
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Won't You Stay - 09/01/16 09:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
I agree with David on the merits- "pure, classic, ultra hooky, rootsy, gutsy unadulterated rock".
The vocals are very good- just the right amount of edge.

Robert

Thanks Robert
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Won't You Stay - 09/01/16 09:58 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Excellent Kenny - very cool tune!

Bob

Thanks Bob
Posted By: tommyad Re: Won't You Stay - 09/03/16 03:26 PM
Sorry I'm late. I too am a big fan! Good one, Tom
Posted By: gibson Re: Won't You Stay - 09/05/16 04:30 AM
Kenny,

this is stuck in my head at the first listen grrrr grin
Now I have "oh won't you stay I wish you'd stay" running through my mind

excellent as I have come to expect from you

great stuff

Alyn
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Won't You Stay - 09/05/16 08:29 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Kenny
Really enjoyed that one. Nice choice of instruments good harmonies & lyrics.
Excellent job.

Thanks Peter
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Won't You Stay - 09/05/16 08:29 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Kenny,

Like Greg, I'm a fan. You write really catchy songs - with the influences of many of my old favorites... instantly likeable...

I agree (with David) that the mandolin could come up a little to "make itself known" a bit more. I would roll off some of the high end in the vocal, too - to tuck it in mix more. These are small things, though..

Enjoyed several listens. (It's stuck in my head now...)

floyd

Thanks floyd
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Won't You Stay - 09/05/16 08:30 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Like others said: a catchy song.
We like the harmonies!
Well done.

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Won't You Stay - 09/05/16 08:31 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Sorry I'm late. I too am a big fan! Good one, Tom

Thanks Tom
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Won't You Stay - 09/05/16 08:35 PM
Originally Posted By: gibson
Kenny,

this is stuck in my head at the first listen grrrr grin
Now I have "oh won't you stay I wish you'd stay" running through my mind

excellent as I have come to expect from you

great stuff

Alyn

Thanks Alyn,

It was premeditated and kind of a nasty popish trick to play on folks I suppose.
© PG Music Forums