PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud The Right Track (floyd jane co-write) - 09/22/16 10:07 AM
The Right Track (VIDEO)
The Right Track (AUDIO ONLY)

As Steve Earle once said "sometimes your hometown brings you down..."

I wrote the lyric; floyd tweaked it, turned a third verse into a bridge, created the melody and Janice did her vocal thing. Thanks big time to floyd for helping with the mix, BGV's and the use of held chords.

We appreciate your time to watch/listen and as always comments are most welcome!

Janice: lead vocal
floyd: background vocals
Bass: RT 1036 Northern Rock
Drums N’ville ev 8th
Guitar Solo: RT 1167 Rock Ballad Brent (the intro was comped from two of many re-generations as was the solo).
Guitar Electric Rhythm: RT 841 Rhythm Pop Ballad Slow Gritty
Guitar electric Rhythm: RT 1169 Soloist Rock Medium Brent /used to create held held chords via the held option
Guitar Acoustic Rhythm: RT 1037 Rhythm Northern Rock Ballad
Piano Rhythm: RT 1725 Rhythm / also used to create the held chord piano track

Mixed in Logic Pro X using Ozone (mastering) Alloy 2 and Nectar.

The Right Track
© 2016 Bud Merritt and floyd jane

too long in this town, too long in shadow
roads lead out, where do they go?
this might be someone's idea of good old days
not mine
i'm parting ways

Chorus

i'm leaving
some might think on a wing and a prayer
but there's got to be peace
between here and somewhere
sun on my face, wind at my back
i'm finally... on the right track

day by day, time gets shorter
while my bucket list just runs over
some things age well like a fine old wine
but a spirit chained
will die in time (so...)

Chorus

Bridge

friends say slow down don't go
but what the hell could they know
i got boots older than most of them
and I ain't leaving on a whim

Chorus

J&B
Really, really good! Great writing. Janice has such a great voice, and the BG vocals are spot on. Love the mix too! Going to go and check out the video now ...
Hi Janice & Bud, Wonderful song I always enjoying listening to your songs! - The guitar solo bridge has a nice tone. - Is the footage self made too?
Posted By: gibson Re: The Right Track (floyd jane co-write) - 09/22/16 01:08 PM
Quote:

What can I say that I haven't said before??
Great lyrics by you Bud!
I like floyd's melody and harmonies
excellent mix
nicely produced video
and superb vocals by Janice

excellent, so I gave the neighbours a treat, door open and volume at 11.

Alyn
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Really, really good! Great writing. Janice has such a great voice, and the BG vocals are spot on. Love the mix too! Going to go and check out the video now ...

Thanks! Yup, mr jane did a fine job with the BGV's. Hope you like the vid...it was fun to make.

J&B
Posted By: Sundance Re: The Right Track (floyd jane co-write) - 09/22/16 02:06 PM
One of my favorite collabs from y'all.
Great feel to the song and the vocal is beautifully done!
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hi Janice & Bud, Wonderful song I always enjoying listening to your songs! - The guitar solo bridge has a nice tone. - Is the footage self made too?

Thank you very much Joe for the kind remarks. Yes, we created the video using iMovie. I enjoy photo editing and use a variety of apps to try and get the images to have a similar look and to support the imagery of the song. All of the images we use are public domain or shots that we took ourselves.

Thanks again!

J&B

PS We always credit PG Music in our videos. Hope it might grab you a customer or two!
Originally Posted By: gibson
Quote:

Great lyrics by you Bud!
excellent mix
nicely produced video

Alyn

Like Alyn, I immediately fell in love with the "boots" line. This is a great production (really like the video too). Guitar solo fits so sweetly, and I love the resolution of the chorus. Great stuff!! Take care. Greg
Rockin' greatness y'all. Great job!!!! Absolutely love it.

Who is this Floyd Jane guy though? Seems like a suspicious character. Is he easy to work with?

smile
Posted By: PeterF Re: The Right Track (floyd jane co-write) - 09/22/16 07:10 PM
Bud Janice & Floyd
I "discovered" this a while ago - it now has the feel of one of those songs you know & look forward to when it plays.
It has a great melody, and is beautifully performed. Love everything about it.

Peter

Posted By: receder Re: The Right Track (floyd jane co-write) - 09/22/16 07:20 PM
Bud Janice and Floyd,

You have really excelled yourselves on this one! I liked everything about it.
Great production and sound and catchy melody.

Janice your voice is like velvet and when Floyd joins in for the harmonies it's just stunning.

I also loved Floyd's vocal sound on the "don't go" bit near the end.

Superb,
Rec
Posted By: RnAM Re: The Right Track (floyd jane co-write) - 09/22/16 07:21 PM
Good work guys, solid standing arrangement, cool lyrics and a beautiful vocal of Janice. We especially liked the choruses, Floyd does a great job here with a subtle mixed harmony, which has some very interesting notes in it.
Bud, these lyric videos seem to come more and more easy to you, nice one!

Rob & Anne-Marie
Quote:

Great lyrics by you Bud!
excellent mix
nicely produced video

Alyn

Alyn, we always look forward to your posts and your comments on ours. Glad you liked that line - it's something I've said for years about our younger friends wink

Thanks for mentioning the vocals and particularly for mentioning floyd's BGV's. He did a great job!

We appreciate it!

J&B
Posted By: Robertkc Re: The Right Track (floyd jane co-write) - 09/22/16 09:13 PM
This is stellar - I enjoyed everything about it.
Begs to be played loud.

Robert
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Right Track (floyd jane co-write) - 09/22/16 09:24 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Good work guys, solid standing arrangement, cool lyrics and a beautiful vocal of Janice. We especially liked the choruses, Floyd does a great job here with a subtle mixed harmony, which has some very interesting notes in it.

Rob & Anne-Marie

This is the best to date IMHO.

You three are always on the right track.
Originally Posted By: Sundance
One of my favorite collabs from y'all.
Great feel to the song and the vocal is beautifully done!

Thank you Josie for listening and posting the nice comment!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Quote:

Great lyrics by you Bud!
excellent mix
nicely produced video

Alyn

Like Alyn, I immediately fell in love with the "boots" line. This is a great production (really like the video too). Guitar solo fits so sweetly, and I love the resolution of the chorus. Great stuff!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg. Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for mentioning the video!

J&B
Nice job to all.

Good job on the songwriting.

The production was pretty good too. I like the comped solo/fills. Mostly they are tasty and fit nicely.

Excellent.
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Rockin' greatness y'all. Great job!!!! Absolutely love it.

Who is this Floyd Jane guy though? Seems like a suspicious character. Is he easy to work with?

smile

Thanks David. That is much appreciated.

The buzz I get is that the elusive mr jane has some serious cred.

J&B
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Right Track (floyd jane co-write) - 09/24/16 02:18 PM
Awesome collaboration. Loved the lyric and the vocal was awesome as usual. Love to listen to your songs
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Bud Janice & Floyd
I "discovered" this a while ago - it now has the feel of one of those songs you know & look forward to when it plays.
It has a great melody, and is beautifully performed. Love everything about it.

Peter

Thanks Peter. It's a great compliment to know that you look forward to hearing it. We appreciate that.

J&B
Hello, Janice & Bud and floyd

Great Rock song with Janice's beautiful voice.
Well produced video.
Superb Mix.
And very nice collaboration.

This song is so good.
I much prefer your rock songs.
Because, to tell the truth, I am weak in real blues songs a little bit though I like blues feelings.

Very enjoyable listen.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Right Track (floyd jane co-write) - 09/25/16 12:14 PM
B,J&f, this is a great write. Beautifully sung and the production is pro all the way. Nice comping on the guitar parts and floyd's finishing touches on the harmonies adds a lot. I also really liked the effect on the vocal. Your usual high standard applies to all areas and it's good to see you exploring further out into other genres. It showcases your versatility. My boots are pretty old also! Tom
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Right Track (floyd jane co-write) - 09/25/16 06:48 PM
Thought I'd throw in here...
Bud - thanks for letting me join in another.
Janice - please get famous soon. I'd like to retire...

Dave - thanks.
Alyn - appreciate the mention of melody and harmonies.
Josie - thanks for the y'all thing...
Snyder - hey...why all the questions????
Peter - thanks...
Posted By: 44kfl Re: The Right Track (floyd jane co-write) - 09/25/16 06:57 PM
Great lyrics, great performances by all. very relatable.
Enjoyed.

Kenny
Posted By: rsdean Re: The Right Track (floyd jane co-write) - 09/26/16 06:51 AM
Bud, Janice & Floyd,

This is outstanding - the write, mix and Janice's delivery is just perfect. Love the pacing of this song as well - really excellent.

Bob
Originally Posted By: receder
Bud Janice and Floyd,

You have really excelled yourselves on this one! I liked everything about it.
Great production and sound and catchy melody.

Janice your voice is like velvet and when Floyd joins in for the harmonies it's just stunning.

I also loved Floyd's vocal sound on the "don't go" bit near the end.

Superb,
Rec

Thanks a lot for commenting and particularly for mentioning the vocals...I know Janice and floyd appreciate it!!

Bud
Great Song Guys! Vocals sound great and the lyric video was a great idea as well. Keep up the good work! Great subtle harmonies too! smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Right Track (floyd jane co-write) - 09/27/16 11:07 AM
Rec - thanks for the mentions.
RnAM - y'all are the kings of harmonies - so appreciate the mention...
Mario - thanks
Herb - thanks
Scott - appreciate that.

J&B - y'all are the bomb (I think that's a good thing, right? old guy wonders...)

Rob & Anne-Marie

Thanks for the kind comments and we appreciate you mentioning the video...especially from you two masters of the video!

J&B

A super song very beautiful
Sergio
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
This is stellar - I enjoyed everything about it.
Begs to be played loud.

Robert

Thanks for the nice comments and thanks for playing it loud!

J&B
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Rob & Anne-Marie

This is the best to date IMHO.

You three are always on the right track.

Thanks Mario...not sure about always though! smile
The songs you turn out are always so top notch. This is very professional in every aspect. The BGV's are outstanding and add a lot to the overall feeling of the song. Janice's vocals and your mixing skills are stellar.

And... by the way ... I like this one ... a lot. A whole lot.

Charlie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Right Track (floyd jane co-write) - 09/29/16 11:02 AM
Shigeki Adachi, Tom, Kenny, Bob, Anthony, Sergio, Charlie - thanks to all for listening...
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Nice job to all.

Good job on the songwriting.

The production was pretty good too. I like the comped solo/fills. Mostly they are tasty and fit nicely.

Excellent.

Thanks Herb

J&B

Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Awesome collaboration. Loved the lyric and the vocal was awesome as usual. Love to listen to your songs

We appreciate that Scott. Hope we can do it again.

J&B
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Janice & Bud and floyd

Great Rock song with Janice's beautiful voice.
Well produced video.
Superb Mix.
And very nice collaboration.

This song is so good.
I much prefer your rock songs.
Because, to tell the truth, I am weak in real blues songs a little bit though I like blues feelings.

Very enjoyable listen.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. We appreciate your kind thoughts about the song!

J&B
Posted By: colly Re: The Right Track (floyd jane co-write) - 09/30/16 08:44 PM
As far as song writing goes and I am just catching up after being away .

You guys are awesome.

Really you have a beautiful professional voice Janice and you have bud

for male vocals.

And Floyd for expertise and more.

Take care
Posted By: dani48 Re: The Right Track (floyd jane co-write) - 10/01/16 05:54 AM
Hi, Bud, Janice and Floyd !

I don´t know if I´ve ever
heard a better collab in
my life, and if so, just can´t
remember ! This was astoundingly
awesome, that smooth Janice lead
and great backing vocal by Floyd
just can´t be beaten and the
tune itself is nothing short
of a masterpiece !!! WOW !!!!

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: The Right Track (floyd jane co-write) - 10/01/16 06:51 AM
Team, another Gem arrives.

Such an enjoyable number. Superb vocals, amazing guitar work and a very remarkable melody.

Anyway, not surprising, because this is coming from some of the best talent on the forum.

Great job (again).
Originally Posted By: tommyad
B,J&f, this is a great write. Beautifully sung and the production is pro all the way. Nice comping on the guitar parts and floyd's finishing touches on the harmonies adds a lot. I also really liked the effect on the vocal. Your usual high standard applies to all areas and it's good to see you exploring further out into other genres. It showcases your versatility. My boots are pretty old also! Tom

I've got jeans just as old! Thanks for the wonderful review. Everything you said has even greater meaning to us because of the consistent high quality of your writes and productions. We appreciate your support!

J&B

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Great lyrics, great performances by all. very relatable.
Enjoyed.

Kenny

Thank you Kenny,

J&B

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Bud, Janice & Floyd,

This is outstanding - the write, mix and Janice's delivery is just perfect. Love the pacing of this song as well - really excellent.

Bob

Thanks Bob. Those comments are really appreciated!
Wow, this is good! Of course, I would expect no less from you guys. Good write, and production. And as always, Janice shines on the vocals. Really enjoyed it!

Steve
Originally Posted By: Anthony-PG Music
Great Song Guys! Vocals sound great and the lyric video was a great idea as well. Keep up the good work! Great subtle harmonies too! smile

Thanks Anthony and we appreciate you mentioning the video and the harmonies. Glad you liked it!

J&B
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Rec - thanks for the mentions.
RnAM - y'all are the kings of harmonies - so appreciate the mention...
Mario - thanks
Herb - thanks
Scott - appreciate that.

J&B - y'all are the bomb (I think that's a good thing, right? old guy wonders...)

Bombs away! Thanks floyd for all the help with this project.

J&B
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

A super song very beautiful
Sergio

Thanks Sergio. It's always good to hear from you!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
The songs you turn out are always so top notch. This is very professional in every aspect. The BGV's are outstanding and add a lot to the overall feeling of the song. Janice's vocals and your mixing skills are stellar.

And... by the way ... I like this one ... a lot. A whole lot.

Charlie

Thank you Charlie for such positive remarks. All three of us very much appreciate your time to listen and your thoughts on the tune. And thanks for mentioning the vocals and the mix!

J&B
Originally Posted By: colly
As far as song writing goes and I am just catching up after being away .

You guys are awesome.

Really you have a beautiful professional voice Janice and you have bud

for male vocals.

And Floyd for expertise and more.

Take care

Thank you! Floyd added the expertise AND the male vocals. You would not want to hear me sing smile Janice appreciates you mentioning her vocal.

Bud

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Bud, Janice and Floyd !
I don´t know if I´ve ever
heard a better collab in
my life, and if so, just can´t
remember ! This was astoundingly
awesome, that smooth Janice lead
and great backing vocal by Floyd
just can´t be beaten and the
tune itself is nothing short
of a masterpiece !!! WOW !!!!
Cheers
Dani

Wow! Thanks Dani for the wonderful review! We appreciate your support.

J&B

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Team, another Gem arrives.

Such an enjoyable number. Superb vocals, amazing guitar work and a very remarkable melody.

Anyway, not surprising, because this is coming from some of the best talent on the forum.

Great job (again).

Thanks! With vocal tracks from Janice and floyd it's hard for me to go wrong at the mixing board smile

Bud
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Wow, this is good! Of course, I would expect no less from you guys. Good write, and production. And as always, Janice shines on the vocals. Really enjoyed it!

Steve

Thanks Steve! We always appreciate your remarks.

J&B
Posted By: Noel96 Re: The Right Track (floyd jane co-write) - 10/09/16 03:39 PM
Janice, Bud and floyd,

This is such a great listen on all fronts. The lyric video is also very well done. In addition, the lyrics flow and develop the situation so well that everything about the story is 100% believable.

I've listened a few times since the song was first posted and each time, I find myself thinking "I really like how this is done" when the song moves into the chorus. When Janice sings "I'm leaving, some might think on a wing and prayer", there's a feeling of resolution and a sense of 'this is the right thing to do' that is created by the combination of performance, lyric, melody and arrangement. I don't know how you've all done this but the effect is outstanding. Janice, your vocal delivery is perfect for the main character's circumstances. As I listened to you unfold the situation, I found it impossible not to become personally involved in the story.

There is a great deal of talent on display in every aspect of this song. However I measure it, it's first class work.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: fgrittner Re: The Right Track (floyd jane co-write) - 10/27/16 07:27 PM
Missed this.... Wonderful, wonderful. I love Janice's voice. Everything works.

Fred
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Janice, Bud and floyd,

This is such a great listen on all fronts. The lyric video is also very well done. In addition, the lyrics flow and develop the situation so well that everything about the story is 100% believable.

I've listened a few times since the song was first posted and each time, I find myself thinking "I really like how this is done" when the song moves into the chorus. When Janice sings "I'm leaving, some might think on a wing and prayer", there's a feeling of resolution and a sense of 'this is the right thing to do' that is created by the combination of performance, lyric, melody and arrangement. I don't know how you've all done this but the effect is outstanding. Janice, your vocal delivery is perfect for the main character's circumstances. As I listened to you unfold the situation, I found it impossible not to become personally involved in the story.

There is a great deal of talent on display in every aspect of this song. However I measure it, it's first class work.

Regards,
Noel

Thank you Noel. That feeling of resolution was precisely what we were trying to capture. We greatly appreciate your review.

J&B

Originally Posted By: fgrittner
Missed this.... Wonderful, wonderful. I love Janice's voice. Everything works.

Fred

Thanks Fred! Glad you discovered the song.

J&B
© PG Music Forums